The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Florida Chat

Discussion in 'Florida Vapors Club' started by Mary Kay, Jun 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Oh and I just about forgot, there is a kind of vitamin B that you can take that keeps them from biting, but you have to take it for a while. I need to look into that some more ;)

2. 13ways

13ways Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jun 27, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    Mosquitoes dont seem to like me very much. I get a bite from time to time but thats about it. I can tell you this though the size of mosquitoes here in FL are nothing compared to the monsters out in Texas. I was in Houston for about a week and those .......s were massive. I thought I had gone back to the dinosaur days the first time I saw one.

3. Anchova

Anchova Full Member

Jul 13, 2009
    Fort Myers, FL
    Seems for several years, mosquito bites would get me and then disappear within a day without being much of a bother. It was weird. Great, but weird.

Mysteriously that fantastic condition went away, and I'm back to itching ankles while waiting in lines, like the rest of you :p

4. JennFL5366

JennFL5366 Super Member ECF Veteran

Mar 26, 2009
    Pinellas Park
    thought i would post about the buggies too..going through skeeters in the house and fleas..bleh...read and saw to get diamatacious earth..got it at the feed store you put it on the carpet outside, on the animals and anywhere else you want and it only harms the bugs!! will let you know how it works got a 40lbs bag of it...killed almost all the fleas with a salt treatment on the floors....and tide in the back yard..fun fun fun 3 dogs 2 cats...tons of bugs..lol

5. Mary Kay

Mary Kay ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Apr 3, 2009
    West Tampa Fl.
    That stuff does work, and so does borax powder..the kind for laundry. Be careful when you shampoo the rug..vacume first or you will be up to your ankles in suds.

6. 13ways

13ways Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jun 27, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    But bubble raves are always fun:)... Not sure how much fun the clean up would be though:(.

7. JennFL5366

Mar 26, 2009
    Pinellas Park
    haha lol butt bubbles....too funny we just got throught the salt treatment we did for the carpets...now are planning on putting the de down..wish me luck...tired of buggies real real tired of them..lol

8. SudokuGal

SudokuGal Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jul 15, 2009
    USA-Florida
    Funny, you should mention Borax. I recently "rediscovered" it and it is currently my new best friend, lol. I got it to try to kill some weeds in parts of my yard that don't have plants.

It is quite versatile:

20 Mule Team Borax

Extraordinary Uses for Borax | Household Item Uses | Reader's Digest

9. derick

derick Full Member ECF Veteran

Aug 10, 2009
    Winter Park,FL US
    Our power was out for 2 weeks during charlie. Lucky my son was born in a nice A/Ced hospital at the end of it all. What a crazy year that was. The 7-11 were actually letting one at a time in the store to make purchases. Everyother house had the blue tarp on it.

10. JennFL5366

Mar 26, 2009
    Pinellas Park
    wow...i am keeping a big watch on bill...only cause i know how wrong the weather man can be...need to go to the store stock up on water and batteries....when charlie came i let all the neighbors use walkie talkies we had so if anyone needed anything they could call one of us to help..nice solution to help everyone..power was out for 3 days tree fell on my house neighbors cut it down and we used it for a bon fire luckily no damage to the house..however the back fence we had just put up fell...so we had to fix that or the dogs wouldn't have been able to go out. love florida hate the storms wth the wind...terrible

11. edlogic

edlogic Super Member ECF Veteran

Jun 7, 2009
    jax fla usa
    when i was in high school in about 1975 - i read that book alas babylon and i remember it well - fort repose - the highway men - radio active jewelry

anyway i also wanted to say that my favorite way to thwart the mosquitoes is to eat plenty of raw onions and or garlic - they don't bite - they don't even lite ...

12. Mary Kay

Apr 3, 2009
    West Tampa Fl.
    edlogic, Glad you got in Ed! The problem with your solution is no-one esle will bite you either!!:p But garlic and onion sure taste good in Italian food..

13. FL-Eagle

FL-Eagle Senior Member ECF Veteran

Aug 10, 2009
    Holiday, FL
    edlogic, I've read that book as well Alas Babylon still have a old paperback copy of it sitting on my shelf. Been a while since I;ve read it but if I remember correctly McDill AFB was mentioned in the book and was one of the reasons this area was targeted.

If anyone likes reading scifi/fantasy books that in some way relate to Florida you should check out any of the Xanth novels by Piers Anthony.
    They are a funny yet lighthearted read.

14. RossN

RossN New Member

Aug 16, 2009
    Palm Bay , FL
    edlogic - FL-EAGLE
    Alas,Babylon - great book - Ft. Repose is based on Mt. Dora.
    I just read again afer 40yrs.
    Reality based apocalyptic fiction "Florida style"?????

15. strato

strato Full Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Florida Panhandle
    I guess I'll have to make a trip to Barnes and Noble! I thought I'd read it all, but obviously I am mistaken. Thanks Guys and Gals!

16. SudokuGal

SudokuGal Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jul 15, 2009
    USA-Florida
    Strato, I LUV your avatar!!

17. Mary Kay

Apr 3, 2009
    West Tampa Fl.
    Me too! I bet those tail feathers would make a pretty fan..after the bird is finished using them of course!:p
    Welcome to the Florida Vapor's Club!

18. frankie1

frankie1 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 7, 2009
    Florida
    Beautiful launch!!!!

19. Mary Kay

Apr 3, 2009
    West Tampa Fl.
    [​IMG]

I posted this in the Women's Room, but I thought you guys would like it too. It was a beautiful launch! This was the view from Central Florida about 20 miles below Orlando. I wish the red glow at the tree line was visable! My stupid flash went off after I thought I turned it off!

20. Carlos49

Carlos49 Moved On

Yes that was a beautiful launch When I get the chance I'll post the video on here. I got pretty close this time.

Hey Mary is there going to be any more meetings soon? Central Fl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.