• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Florida Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

13ways

ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2009
Orlando, FL
Mosquitoes dont seem to like me very much. I get a bite from time to time but thats about it. I can tell you this though the size of mosquitoes here in FL are nothing compared to the monsters out in Texas. I was in Houston for about a week and those .......s were massive. I thought I had gone back to the dinosaur days the first time I saw one.

JennFL5366

ECF Veteran
Mar 26, 2009
Pinellas Park
thought i would post about the buggies too..going through skeeters in the house and fleas..bleh...read and saw to get diamatacious earth..got it at the feed store you put it on the carpet outside, on the animals and anywhere else you want and it only harms the bugs!! will let you know how it works got a 40lbs bag of it...killed almost all the fleas with a salt treatment on the floors....and tide in the back yard..fun fun fun 3 dogs 2 cats...tons of bugs..lol

SudokuGal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2009
USA-Florida

JennFL5366

ECF Veteran
Mar 26, 2009
Pinellas Park
wow...i am keeping a big watch on bill...only cause i know how wrong the weather man can be...need to go to the store stock up on water and batteries....when charlie came i let all the neighbors use walkie talkies we had so if anyone needed anything they could call one of us to help..nice solution to help everyone..power was out for 3 days tree fell on my house neighbors cut it down and we used it for a bon fire luckily no damage to the house..however the back fence we had just put up fell...so we had to fix that or the dogs wouldn't have been able to go out. love florida hate the storms wth the wind...terrible

edlogic

ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2009
jax fla usa
www.edlogic.com
Corkie! Shame on you! Look at that poor kitty's eyes!:D

We were talking about books in the Women's Room" and I remembered a book about Central Florida.
"Alas, Babylon" by Pat Frank. pub. 1959. Has anyone one here read that? It about what amounts to the end of the world by bomb. The story takes place here in Florida and concerns a group of survivors. They learn to cope with the radiation, the lack of fresh water and food and what they do to survive in a world filled with marauders. The places are real except their hometown. There are a lot of good survival tips in the book. No E-Cigs though!
We used to have to buy at least one a year because people kept borrowing it and never returning.

when i was in high school in about 1975 - i read that book alas babylon and i remember it well - fort repose - the highway men - radio active jewelry

anyway i also wanted to say that my favorite way to thwart the mosquitoes is to eat plenty of raw onions and or garlic - they don't bite - they don't even lite ...

FL-Eagle

ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2009
Holiday, FL
edlogic, I've read that book as well Alas Babylon still have a old paperback copy of it sitting on my shelf. Been a while since I;ve read it but if I remember correctly McDill AFB was mentioned in the book and was one of the reasons this area was targeted.

If anyone likes reading scifi/fantasy books that in some way relate to Florida you should check out any of the Xanth novels by Piers Anthony.
They are a funny yet lighthearted read.

Mary Kay

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
West Tampa Fl.
shuttle10.jpg

I posted this in the Women's Room, but I thought you guys would like it too. It was a beautiful launch! This was the view from Central Florida about 20 miles below Orlando. I wish the red glow at the tree line was visable! My stupid flash went off after I thought I turned it off!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread