Food coloring in Eliquid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
I've already done it, but was just making sure it was ok. I tend to mix down my liquids quite a bit, adding VG into an 18mg base to end up with a 6mg blend with light taste. I do that for my All day vaping, so I don't overpower my taste buds. The problem is, the last two colors I got were colorless, so it was hard to tell which bottle I picked up or was in which tank.

So, I came up with the idea... put one drop of food coloring in one bottle (30ml). I chose blue. I filled 1/3rd with my juice choice, filled the rest of the bottle with VG, and added one drop of blue food coloring. One drop went a long way and turned it quite blue.

Besides coloring the cotton, is there any adverse affects of doing this? I don't think one drop of food coloring over a half a weeks time to vape the bottle is enough to worry, but I just wanted to run across this to you guys. I know it will discolor the cotton, but I rewick it myself anyways. I color it for identification, so there is a reason to do it, and It seems it's easier to tell the liquid level as well. It doesn't color the vape or my mouth, but the only thing I'd be afraid of, is if ejuice leaked, it would dye whatever it got on.

Any input?

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I wouldn't add any food coloring to my ejuices. But that's just my opinion. Just label your bottles and your tanks, if you have to. Most of my eliquids are translucent or barely colored because I prefer to vape clean, clear eliquids. Remember, you'll be inhaling this stuff, not eating it. We don't know what all those additives do to our lungs long term.

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
To me, adding anything to e-liquid is a calculated risk. Only you can decide if it's worth it to you, but personally I don't add coloring and I don't buy colored e-liquids - as others have said, we really don't know the long-term effects of vaping them.

There are other ways to identify bottles and flavors. What about a matching colored dot or small rubber band on the bottle and clearo.

Most of the time I don't even bother labeling stuff, I like being surprised when I pick up a tank or a dripper and I don't know what's in it. Sometimes it's ick, sometimes it's yum, I enjoy the variety.

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    Instead of putting a label on the tank, I drill a hole (for the 510) in a water bottle cap.
    Use the cap as a stand, and write on the cap with a Sharpie, what's in the tank.
    You can reuse them by wiping off the writing with some alcohol.
    Label your DIY bottles with removable painters tape.
    Works for me.........

NealBJr

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 27, 2013
    Lawrenceville, Ga.
    Yea, I figured I would get a few posts about adding labels to bottles. I work the middle shift as a baker. Many times I come home, eat dinner, and post some on forums, etc. It's usually late at night. My wife is sleeping in the same room, and the lights are off. So, I type, vape, and refill my ejuice at the same time. WhenI have to refill my ecig, I usually do it by the light of the monitor. I plan on having several Kanger subtanks... maybe 3.. so I can vape different flavors. Labeling works when you have the light to read, and is probably the "normal" thing to do. I have been using Mt. Baker Vapor for a long time, and clean out the bottles and have quite a few empty ones. I'm now down to buying the bulk 256ml bottles and filling the 30/50ml bottles. After I finish a flavor, I remove the sticker. So, for the past few months, I've been putting rubber bands around certain bottles to distinguish the differences in flavor. It's easier to tell what flavor is what by a simple glance instead of holding it up to a light to see what was a different color. Not to mention, there's no way of telling what's in the tank currently. Last night, I was opening up and starting a new flavor to the rotation. I filled the bottle and noticed it was clear like the other two ejuices (Twin mint gum, Zebra stripe gum, and now Guava) I had the idea of putting a drop of food coloring in and tried it.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea. You can label the bottles, sure... but many times I don't know what's in the tank itself. I find it easier to determine what the flavor is by a quick glance, even in very low lighting. It also is easier to tell my tank level at a glance. So far, It just seems like a win-win situation. I was just looking for any info on if it damages tanks, is extremely unhealthy for you, or what not. I am a believer in saying that toxicity is about quantity of a substance more so than the chemical makeover of the substance itself.

Oliver

ECF Founder, formerly SmokeyJoe
    Admin
    Verified Member
    I really, really wouldn't do this. There's no need for it, and there's no reason to believe it's harmless.

Titanium dioxide is one compound that's know to be safe as a colorant in food, but dangerous to inhale. I don't know about any others' in terms of their inhalation risk, but I'd err on the side of caution.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 28, 2012
    Madeira beach, Fla
    Just looking at some of the problems believed to be associated with eating food dye would be enough for me to never inhale it. Things like hives, adhd, hyperactivity, skin problems, asthma and many others are stafting to be believed to be associated with just ingesting this stuff.

Now your going to bypass all the filtering mechanisms in the body and add them directly to the blood stream.

I try not to eat art color and would never inhale them.

I think i would buy a 3 dollar pen light to use at my desk before inhaling an unknown. But to each his own. Your lungs are not mine.

Reactions: Coldrake

Ongeslepen

ECF Veteran
    Apr 14, 2015
    Amsterdamaged
    I don't make any e-liquid (yet) and haven't researched about it yet. But the thing that i wonder about is why? Except that it might look cool, i don't see any benefit - flavor wise. Not to mention the potential harm to your lungs like other people already stated. So why add another chemical? Just my 2 cents.

Some juices that i have bought are also extremely beautiful to look at with a nice clearomizer. I don't don't buy them, but for me it's totally unnecessary.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread