Freaking Out the Checkout Girl at Wal-Mart (on accident)

Status
Not open for further replies.

O'Face

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2013
Indianapolis, IN USA
I really never thought that vaping would be viewed differently
depending on the area of the country or even within each state.
Very interesting phenomenon !!
:blink:

It's amazing and very true. When I vape just to the north of my home city everything is always kosher (or has been so far). Near my downtown area I get a lot more of the "illicit substance" questions and comments. I believe OP hit the nail on the head in her video. All of her points came across well. So congrats to her. :toast:

nonliteral

Verified Member
May 16, 2013
Dallas
I really never thought that vaping would be viewed differently
depending on the area of the country or even within each state.
Very interesting phenomenon !!
:blink:

Texas covers a lot of ground; I get a kick out of friends in the NE who don't realize going from one major city in Texas to another is more like crossing three or four states where they're at.

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
Great video, DeathsMistress! I really enjoyed your passion and observations. There could be a location-driven bias for or against, but I think in general the number of people engaging you (curiosity or attacking) at a given time is small, and it just depends on who happens to be around. Sometimes vaping in public can trigger all sorts of irrational anger or inner-demons (the woman that would use it for drugs, for example...one thing to think it, another to just volunteer it to a stranger).

Sometimes I think publicly getting what you want, when it is banned or shunned in another form, creates two kinds of reaction: 1. Where can I get it for me, so I can get what I want? or 2. How dare you get what you want!! I think time and education will take care of the second, and increase the first.

Barto

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2011
Kapetown
Texas covers a lot of ground; I get a kick out of friends in the NE who don't realize going from one major city in Texas to another is more like crossing three or four states where they're at.
glare.gif
My friends went to USA and also had problems with that.

LongHaul

Howdy Y'All
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 10, 2012
Bradenton, Florida
I have started many conversations where it went from them being mad at me for "smoking" to them wanting to order one for a loved one.....it's not that big of a deal to me. Keep vaping cause your bad experience saved at least 1 life so far and you have no idea how many he will help......something to think about

Iron Knuckle

ECF Veteran
May 19, 2013
Washington, USA
I don't use mine in most stores. But out walking around, in most bars I have vaped. At a bar, I've gotten guff once from some salty looking barhag when I told her it was an inhaler. She said "duuuur... okay" and left me alone. I usually ask the staff of the bar first if I haven't been there before and maybe the people next to me if its crowded. If it's not okay, I just go where the smokers are and take questions and give answers. I'm only two weeks in and I am feeling like an instructor of some kind.

cowboy6591

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 16, 2013
Liberty, TN
So, it's four in the morning and I need some tortillas and hair-dye (don't judge, I work strange hours) and I decide to go to the only open store (Wal-blah). While waiting in line I'm vaping per-the-norm when the girl behind me starts spouting off stuff about smoking an illicit substance. I don't even realize what she's saying until the cashier literally jumps away from her post and starts waving her arms like she's being swarmed by bees (with knives). So I'm like "no no, it's just vapor and it can't hurt you." And cashier's like, "I've never smoked anything in my whole life and it's bad enough when people come through my line smelling like *illicit substance* but, what if I breathed some of that in!" So, I'm calming her down explaining it's the same stuff in asthma inhalers or the poof at rock concerts and skating rinks and it's not a drug. The other girl went off again about how she'd be sure to use it for smoking *illicit substance*.

I wanted to konk her out with my Vamo but, instead I exited politely after explaining again that I don't do any of those things because they are illegal and it's just water vapor and there is no risk associated with second-hand vape.

Well it's ying and yang with this one for me. For the most part I vape stealth in no smoking places, Like in a restaurant I will pretend I am picking something up from the floor and woof one down, hold it and exhale but not to look like a radiator blew it's hose.

Cashier lines? forget it, the radicals and guards will act on will every time. I can't be bothered fighting a one man civil war. The restrooms and stairwells, any time I want I suck one down. HOWEVER My routine lunches at work are centered around the few diners in town that gave me permission in advance to vape, that makes all the difference. especially when a state cop walked in wile I was vaping and all I had to say is "Go See The Manager" and of coarse he did, game over the thin skinned sissy with a badge realised all he was inhaling is water. Look these "Silver Bullet" style vapes reak drug paraphernalia. Witch is why I am adding a more discrete PV to my collection, more on the slim EGO twist style. With a 1 to 2 ml tank. that is decorated and only has a small window to view liquid level. I kinda sucks to have to have more then one model style vaper but discretion would have gone a long way that day and the cop wouldn't have panicked. He could of ordered in the swat and searched my car for drugs and ordered a lab sample of the juice if he wanted. The only thing he said after that was : "At least you had the sense to discuss it with the manager before you pulled that stupid stunt" ya he wasn't pleased.

DeathsMistress

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2012
Chicago, IL
jeneefowler.com
Keep vaping cause your bad experience saved at least 1 life so far and you have no idea how many he will help......something to think about

That's my main motivation for making the video in the first place and all the ones I've made there after. Vaping has saved me and people have told me I saved them with the info. The first time I started vaping, it didn't work. It was another two years before I met others that did it and that made a huge difference in my life. They were in a public place, no less.

StereoDreamer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2012
Columbia MD
I don't usually vape in public spaces like in line at a retail store, it would draw way too much attention in a line. I can wait until I'm outside. However I do stealth vape when no one is around and I feel like getting some nic

4 in the morning in a WalMart is barely a "public place". ;-)

And the only attention you're going to draw (as noted by the OP) is going to be from REALLY interesting people, or totally clueless losers (like the person who made the "contraband" remarks.

Ignore the clueless obnoxious ones and laugh at them later.

And the interesting folks will probably end up on "our team".

Either way, it sounds like a "win" to me.

Open Vaping--preserving our vaping rights by normalizing vaping...

StereoDreamer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2012
Columbia MD
Cashier lines? forget it, the radicals and guards will act on will every time. I can't be bothered fighting a one man civil war. The restrooms and stairwells, any time I want I suck one down.

Mark Twain wrote in his book, "Notebook, 1904":

"In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."

I think if we change the word "Patriot" with the word "Open Vaper", this pretty much sums up your position. Thanks for clarifying which side of the fight for vaping you are REALLY on.

It doesn't make it any easier for those of us who do public activism to pull you along on our coat-tails, but at least we can put names to the weight now... ;-)

Look these "Silver Bullet" style vapes reak drug paraphernalia. Witch is why I am adding a more discrete PV to my collection, more on the slim EGO twist style.

Which is a pretty interesting thing to say, because I have NEVER seen a "contraband vaping device" that looked anything remotely like a Silver Bullet, Provari, GG or eVic, and I formally challenge you here and now to produce a scintilla of evidence for ANY commercially produced device for that purpose that does.

In fact, EVERY commercially produced device that I am aware of for such use looks a LOT like an eGo, or an Ovale--like the Ploom Pax, or the Atmos Raw. In fact, the Atmos actually USES an eGo battery as it's power source...

Atmos Raw Vaporizer on Sale

Pax Vaporizer by Ploom

I would suggest that before you go around trashing vapers for their choice of mods, you collect a little knowledge about the things you are passing judgement on, instead of just pulling stuff out of your backside...

RadarLuv1

ECF Veteran
Jun 6, 2013
TX
I'm curious about whether people hide vaping from cops while driving as well, as I read a post somewhere about being pulled over for having a cloud of vapor in the car (looking like an illicit substance since the windows were down.) The curiosity stems from sitting next to a cop in traffic while vaping. He did look a little bit perplexed...

I went to the pub with a cop friend of mine and vaped away all night as it is allowed to smoke inside here. Doesn't phase them. They don't give a crap.

RadarLuv1

ECF Veteran
Jun 6, 2013
TX
I think vaping in line is a bit on the obnoxious side. I also hate when people smack and pop their gum, or just chew gum in general. It's legal, but it doesn't make it less obnoxious, not everyone likes it. Just drawing attention to oneself. Especially since the OP said they didn't like people. If that is true then why make yourself the center of attention. IMO.

DeathsMistress

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2012
Chicago, IL
jeneefowler.com
I vaped everywhere in Vegas in hopes that I could help people make the switch. If they noticed me, they usually approached me and often times they joined our ranks as vapers. The vast majority of my experiences were positive. I am more careful and more mindful here in Virginia, as the culture is different. I think that the individual knows their region and it's attitudes well enough to cater their own approach. Vegas now has more vape shops then I was able to find suppliers of Lucky Strike brand cigarettes. I think our vaping in public had a positive impact in that area.

Since I feel like the attention question was more of a personal attack, I'd like to address it separately. I am a person who both deeply cares about my fellow man and deeply loathes what I see them do to each other and themselves. For many, vaping has become a personal victory over one the of the darkest aspects of their lives. I cannot quantify the ways that it has helped me, and I want to help pass on that chance. A little negative attention is more than worth it in their lives and my own.

I don't think most people understand the dynamics of attention from strangers. When strangers notice my blue hair, my tattooed skin, my facial piercings and my "unique" clothing, they do not notice me. They are noticing a shell that I chose, not who I am. Very few people get to know what I am because they are distracted by other aspects. It's by design. When they notice vaping, in most cases, not only is it not about me any more, but it can be very much about them helping themselves have a better life or saving loved ones from all the horrid side effects of smoking.

bshm

Sep 26, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Wow, sounds kinda like my trip to Kroger for dry ice to put in a Halloween punch a couple years ago, the cashier had me pegged for a .... cook because somebody told her they used it to make the stuff. She said it loud enough for everyone behind me in line to hear, which normally would have prompted a good konking but with breaking bad becoming so popular I think I enjoyed it. Too bad they don't sell big plastic tubs and electric chain saws or Ida asked where they were.

Seriously, I'm sure brainless just had an associate meeting or something where another higher paid brainless was going through the prescribed motions to raise awareness or something... It happens and they get all empowered and stuff.

TafkanX

ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2013
Lubbock, Texas, United States
I have actually gotten very little in the way of negative feedback when vaping in public, most of the time I get people asking about what it is and what it's like and how much did it cost and where can I get one, etc. I've actually been converting people like mad, it's amazing. Also, somehow at work I've become the e-cig troubleshooting guru and everybody comes to me to inspect their rigs and get them up and vaping again, it's simultaneously weird and awesome.

Vaping is still relatively uncommon around here, but far from rare (I am frequently delighted to encounter fellow vapers "in the wild", so to speak) and people are mostly just curious. I am more than happy to answer all of their questions. I'm seriously considering printing up some of the trifold e-cig pamphlets from the CASAA website to hand out, in fact. And I need more local B&M business cards To pass out. Note to self.

On a side note, love your videos, I've seen one or two before and it's cool to run into you on the forums (or across your posts, anyhow). Subbed.

Last edited:

Wolffy

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I use a white cigalike just to satiate my need for the 'smoking ritual'. So far it's working very well.

I've thought about how to react to the 'rabid, anti smoking, PC, Nazi' who wants to control everyone's life and think what I'll do to someone who over reacts is pretend to .... my cigalike in my eye complete wit a little "TSSSss" sound effect. Then look them in the eye and ask "Are you happy now?".

Then again I am a twisted puppy. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread