From Newb to Beyond...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VaporHead512

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 16, 2012
TX
A Vivi Nova is basically a fancy clearomizer with replaceable heads. Those seem to be the popular "thing" these days.

Have you tried one? How long do they last? How often do I replace the head? Can you use any cinnamon juice in them? Should I buy more than one at a time? What all can ya tell me about em? HaHa lotta questions I know...Thanks for your help.

recidivus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2012
Canada
www.youtube.com
I have a vivi on my LT now, the original 2.4ohm head has been going for 16 days now (@4.2-4.5v). Cinnamon, unknown, someone else will know that but they are a plastic so I'd be wary of "known to cause issues" juices. You can also get metal tanks, though they obviously don't have a window to see juice levels, and I've read that they can have leaking issues.

I only have the single one so far, another is arriving today. Why two? Why not! I like to have backups and am preferring the vivi over cartos, so would rather have another tank to fall back on if the first ever has major failure. Have two cartotanks on standby also, though they aren't my go-to.

I'd test out the heads (2.8mL came with 3 heads, 1.8-2.8ohm) and find out which you like, then buy replacements according to your preference. You can also recoil/wick them yourself. The resistance wire runs through a plastic cap, and can melt it. I'm fairly certain mine has done this, though it only tasted nasty for a few puffs and it's been fine since. Rebuilding with nr wire through the cap solves this issue I believe. I just found a local supply of nr wire (after spending saturday hitting up jewellery supply shops), but it's out of my way so will have to pick it up next saturday. Till then I'll settle with the included ones (probably still be on the original).

What I can tell you about them? So far they're my favourite method of vaping my ADV. There are some issues and they aren't perfect. To start, the centre post was a little (~1/2mm) protruded on mine, which was pushing the centre pin on my LT down. I was finding myself needing to tighten it semi-regularly, eventually daily. After having to pull the centre pin on the LT up twice in a day I gently sanded the centre post down so it was flush with threads, rather break a feed than the body/tube. Had no issues since.

They can mute flavours, I haven't personally noticed this, but I'm mixing my own and I make them strong. The premix I used originally was 100VG and already quite mild, so I didn't notice any major difference with it either.

They need regular cleaning, I try to do it once every other day, if not once a day. They tend to make juice darker and somewhat thicker as you use them every few refills. Not as bad as my Vision V3s were, those turned juice into syrup half way through first fill. Darker juice may cause this sooner, but I don't have anything particularly dark to test. I noticed my premix 100VG juices would do this within 2 refills, but my DIY 60/40 (PG/VG) are lasting through 4 fills and the change is quite minor. Without knowing exactly what is in the premixes beyond 100VG I can't say what in them would cause this. I'm mainly cleaning it out of habit and as a pre emptive measure.

Luckily disassembling, cleaning, and reassembly takes around 5 minutes after you've done it once and know what's what. Some folks dry burn them after but I just shake everything, blow through post, dry everything with a paper towel (dab at wicks till towel comes off dry) and deal with "meh" vapes for the first couple minutes. It returns to normal operation pretty quickly.

Hm...well, there ya go, answered some questions you asked and some you had not. Hope it helps even if a little.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Darn, I guess I'm a little late. I was going to tell you to first look at the Smoktech Titan (also known as the screw tank on other sites) from Got Vapes. I now have a few of them. They are the Smoktech answer to the Vivi Nova, with what I consider some moderate improvements.

Like the Vivi, it is a clearo-type tank with long wicks. The tube is polypropylene (juice safe) instead of polycarbonate. The connection between the tube and endcaps is metal-to-metal. Holds more juice than the Vivi. Comes with two extra heads/posts. The diameter is the same as the Provari's top.

I never tried the Vivi Nova mainly because of the polycarbonate tube, so I can't compare directly from first hand experience. I have tried the same juices with the Titan and a cartotank. I have to admit the flavors in some juices are muted compared to the cartos. But the easy fill of these tanks makes them extremely practical and convenient.

One tip I've found. Make certain that the endcaps are totally snug, or there could be weeping or seeping of juice, seen as sweating or perspiration droplets on the tube and a greasy juice feeling. Since discovering this, I've not seen a re-occurance.

Although the tubes are juice safe, apparently the proprietary mouthpiece may not be. There is one instance on the Got Vapes forum where the mouthpiece melted from one of these unsafe juices (a strawberry lemonade known to crack/melt polycarb)

Last edited:

VaporHead512

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 16, 2012
TX
Darn, I guess I'm a little late. I was going to tell you to first look at the Smoktech Titan (also known as the screw tank on other sites) from Got Vapes. I now have a few of them. They are the Smoktech answer to the Vivi Nova, with what I consider some moderate improvements.

Like the Vivi, it is a clearo-type tank with long wicks. The tube is polypropylene (juice safe) instead of polycarbonate. The connection between the tube and endcaps is metal-to-metal. Holds more juice than the Vivi. Comes with two extra heads/posts. The diameter is the same as the Provari's top.

I never tried the Vivi Nova mainly because of the polycarbonate tube, so I can't compare directly from first hand experience. I have tried the same juices with the Titan and a cartotank. I have to admit the flavors in some juices are muted compared to the cartos. But the easy fill of these tanks makes them extremely practical and convenient.

One tip I've found. Make certain that the endcaps are totally snug, or there could be weeping or seeping of juice, seen as sweating or perspiration droplets on the tube and a greasy juice feeling. Since discovering this, I've not seen a re-occurance.

Although the tubes are juice safe, apparently the proprietary mouthpiece may not be. There is one instance on the Got Vapes forum where the mouthpiece melted from one of these unsafe juices (a strawberry lemonade known to crack/melt polycarb)

Ya I was also going to grab 1 or 2 of those, but I saw some reviews taling about leakage or whatever. I'll try em out next time I order from there. I was glad to see they were from Texas, so hopefully I always get super fast ship times.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
tanks from IBTanked or tanks from Phiniac... Which ones look better on a ProVari? And how much better are phiniac tanks, because they're quite a bit more expensive.
Which ones look better? I'd say that's a matter of personal taste. The IBTanked are exactly the same diameter as the Provari, encluding the endcaps. The endcaps on the Phiniac will hang out a little. The glass is a little thicker on the Phiniacs, but the glass on the IBTanked seems plenty thick to me. Both are well finished on the ends. Both have a very snug grip on the carto. It took some effort to remove the endcaps from both tanks, which is a good thing.

View attachment 136294 View attachment 136295 View attachment 136296

VaporHead512

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 16, 2012
TX
Which ones look better? I'd say that's a matter of personal taste. The IBTanked are exactly the same diameter as the Provari, encluding the endcaps. The endcaps on the Phiniac will hang out a little. The glass is a little thicker on the Phiniacs, but the glass on the IBTanked seems plenty thick to me. Both are well finished on the ends. Both have a very snug grip on the carto. It took some effort to remove the endcaps from both tanks, which is a good thing.

View attachment 136294 View attachment 136295 View attachment 136296

Made an order. Now to wait impatiently.

Zenataos

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2012
British Columbia, Canada
Welcome down the rabbit hole...

It never ends, at least not for awhile.

The hunt for new / better items is constant. Some will be able to resist the temptation and are happy with what they have, others will constantly be trying new products and evolving their collections. It took me quite a while to find what works for me, at this point it is a Provari V2 with a DID genesis style atty it's providing the best vape I've had to date.

Cartos were a great place to start a couple years ago, any new vapers I run accross nowadays I suggest some eGo Twists and some VIVI Nova's, great starter products. I believe the future is in rebuildables, if a company could figure out how to eliminate most of the fiddlyness of them. Rebuildables are just not for beginners.

A17kawboy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 20, 2012
Northern BC, Canada
Welcome down the rabbit hole...

It never ends, at least not for awhile.

The hunt for new / better items is constant. Some will be able to resist the temptation and are happy with what they have, others will constantly be trying new products and evolving their collections. It took me quite a while to find what works for me, at this point it is a Provari V2 with a DID genesis style atty it's providing the best vape I've had to date.

Cartos were a great place to start a couple years ago, any new vapers I run accross nowadays I suggest some eGo Twists and some VIVI Nova's, great starter products. I believe the future is in rebuildables, if a company could figure out how to eliminate most of the fiddlyness of them. Rebuildables are just not for beginners.

Totally agree with what you're saying. Plus I might add that the Vivi Nova's give a nice intermediate step being that they are easily re-buildable themselves! I made my first attempt the other night and almost didn't even install the wick/coil due to it not being very pretty (coils kind of loose and not evenly wrapped). However I thought what the heck I'll try it and what do you know...it works perfectly! My point being that it is not difficult. Happy days! Hoping to receive my first genesis style tomorrow (genuine DID). I may stick with wrapping VN's for a bit but REALLY looking forward to becoming proficient with the DID.

rondasherrill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2012
Valhalla
This has been confusing me lately. I've been following the safe vaping chart pretty religiously and it shows that 2 ohms shouldn't get anywhere near 5v.

That safe vape chart is really designed for absolute beginners... If you notice, the green zone is pretty much between 4 watts and 8.5 watts, but we KNOW that lots of us vape at 10 watts(like myself), and some even higher.

Last edited:

VaporHead512

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 16, 2012
TX
I've been having problems with my cartos, I guess I'm burning them. Figured I was vaping at too high a voltage. But even if I'm not, I'm still getting a burning taste more often than not. Can't get my favorite juice to give me consistent flavor. They were working real well for me at first.

I'm going to move on to atomizers for a while, obviously when I'm not using my tanks (which I still love because they just hold so much). I'll be getting a ZAP. I'm gonna jump right into rebuilding. Don't care if it's not for beginners. I'll take my time and learn. Can't be too hard.

Last edited:

Zenataos

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2012
British Columbia, Canada
I'll be getting a ZAP. I'm gonna jump right into rebuilding. Don't care if it's not for beginners. I'll take my time and learn. Can't be too hard.

This right here is the attitude that is required to get rebuildables working properly, kudos and enjoy the best consistent flavor vaping has to offer. I myself moved onto rebuildables as I was tired of the burnt carto flavor I was getting. Now, the flavor is clean.

1.7 ohm wrap with 28 gauge kanthal running at 4.5 volts and producing massive flavorsome clouds.

rondasherrill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2012
Valhalla
This right here is the attitude that is required to get rebuildables working properly, kudos and enjoy the best consistent flavor vaping has to offer. I myself moved onto rebuildables as I was tired of the burnt carto flavor I was getting. Now, the flavor is clean.

1.7 ohm wrap with 28 gauge kanthal running at 4.5 volts and producing massive flavorsome clouds.

Just a suggestion... Get yourself a cheap dripping rebuildable, like the V3 from Empiremods, or the Rainbow from StormysVaporCellar. Even if you aren't a dripper most of the time, it is always best to use a dripping atomizer when trying a new flavor before pouring it into a tank.

VaporHead512

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 16, 2012
TX
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread