From Newb to Beyond...

Status
Not open for further replies.

rondasherrill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2012
Valhalla
Can these batteries be used on a ProVari? Anybody tried them?

eFest Protected 18650 3100mah 3.7v High Discharge Performance [gv-EFEST-PROT18650-3100mah] - $14.99 : GotVapes.com, E-cigarette Supplies - Atomizers Cartomizers Mods Juice and more

Also, what's the difference between a 510-510 sealed or unsealed adapter? (about to pick me up a drip shield) What's the best atomizer out there right now?
That battery won't quite fit in the Provari. It will, but the cap won't thread all the way down. Also, 3100mAh is way overrated. You really are better off getting the AW IMR's... They are rated for the draw that the Provari puts on the batteries. It takes alot more power draw for one battery to be boosted, than for 2 batteries to be regulated down like other VV mods.

Sealed means there is no hole through the positive connection in the middle.

As far as atomizers, I suggest either a Cisco, or an Ikenvape. Alot of people will say HH.357, and they are good, but they are like $23 apiece, and have a failure rate on par with regular atomizers... If you get a good one they will last 6 months or more, but if not, you just blew alot of money on a disposable, when you could get a rebuildable dripping atomizer for $20.

Last edited:

spraintz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2010
Dallas, TX
I agree with rondasherrill, I would prolly start with the V3/rainbow or even a phoenix for a first rebuildable. It's super cheap and when you move up to a better one it will still have it's uses. ( I have 2 high end rebuildables, G-Tank and bliSS, and I still use my phoenix all the time)

That being said there is nothing wrong with jumping into a "big boy" atomizer like the Z-Atty but there are some advantages of cutting yer teeth on the cheaper rebuildable like getting good at making coils, learning what resistances you like, discovering the nuances of wicking and "hot spots".

These are the basics of rebuildable atomizers and trying to learn all that AND learn the ways of a higher end genesis style (SS wick rolling, oxidizing wicks, getting it to wick right, preventing shorts, finding shorts, fixing shorts, understanding why it's shorting) can all be very daunting, but if you have some experience with the easier rebuildable it makes getting the better ones working much more successful and fun.

cheap:
http://www.gotvapes.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=197&products_id=1025

Z-Atty is sweet and great but also check out the bliSS.....it.....is.....awesome!!!
http://elitevaporworks.com/rebuilda.../the-bliss-rebuildable-atomizer-in-stock.html
Either way, we're all here for ya:headbang:

Last edited:

VaporHead512

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 16, 2012
TX
That battery won't quite fit in the Provari. It will, but the cap won't thread all the way down. Also, 3100mAh is way overrated. You really are better off getting the AW IMR's... They are rated for the draw that the Provari puts on the batteries. It takes alot more power draw for one battery to be boosted, than for 2 batteries to be regulated down like other VV mods.

Sealed means there is no hole through the positive connection in the middle.

As far as atomizers, I suggest either a Cisco, or an Ikenvape. Alot of people will say HH.357, and they are good, but they are like $23 apiece, and have a failure rate on par with regular atomizers... If you get a good one they will last 6 months or more, but if not, you just blew alot of money on a disposable, when you could get a rebuildable dripping atomizer for $20.

Ok so no go on the batts.

As for the adapter, I'm guessing since I use a ProVari I'll need a sealed. Unsealed would have to be for some sort of device I am unfamiliar with, perhaps a bottom feeder. I hope I got that right.

The HH.357's I was looking at actually say Cisco in the title. Were you referring to something different?

VaporHead512

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 16, 2012
TX
I agree with rondasherrill, I would prolly start with the V3/rainbow or even a phoenix for a first rebuildable. It's super cheap and when you move up to a better one it will still have it's uses. ( I have 2 high end rebuildables, G-Tank and bliSS, and I still use my phoenix all the time)

That being said there is nothing wrong with jumping into a "big boy" atomizer like the Z-Atty but there are some advantages of cutting yer teeth on the cheaper rebuildable like getting good at making coils, learning what resistances you like, discovering the nuances of wicking and "hot spots".

These are the basics of rebuildable atomizers and trying to learn all that AND learn the ways of a higher end genesis style (SS wick rolling, oxidizing wicks, getting it to wick right, preventing shorts, finding shorts, fixing shorts, understanding why it's shorting) can all be very daunting, but if you have some experience with the easier rebuildable it makes getting the better ones working much more successful and fun.

cheap:
Phoenix Bully Rebuildable Atomizer w/ Extra Coil and Wick [gv-BullyAtomizer] - $14.95 : GotVapes.com, E-cigarette Supplies - Atomizers Cartomizers Mods Juice and more

Z-Atty is sweet and great but also check out the bliSS.....it.....is.....awesome!!!
Elite Vaporworks The bliSS Rebuildable Atomizer - Stainless - Rebuildable Atomizers and Supplies
Either way, we're all here for ya:headbang:

I was setting up my shopping cart to place an order later at gotvapes and thought...score.. but of course all of their rebuildables are out of stock. It seems like 90% of all the awesome I look for is out of stock.

rondasherrill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2012
Valhalla
Ok so no go on the batts.

As for the adapter, I'm guessing since I use a ProVari I'll need a sealed. Unsealed would have to be for some sort of device I am unfamiliar with, perhaps a bottom feeder. I hope I got that right.

The HH.357's I was looking at actually say Cisco in the title. Were you referring to something different?

As far as the adapter, the positive post on the Provari is already sealed, so it doesn't really matter too much, but I prefer the sealed, just so I don't have to dry liquid off the post.

I meant the Cisco Spec atomizers...like these: SR510 Standard Resistance Atomizer 2.5 ohm (Cisco Spec) - Avid Vaper

Last edited:

rondasherrill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2012
Valhalla
Ok I may or may not get a ZAP, I'll have to see if it's going to give me what I want and review the pros/cons, but I'm definitely getting into rebuildable. I know it's where I'm going to end up, so I may as well skip as much as possible and get to learning about that route

The ZAP is great(aside from the problem that ALL genesis atomizers have, being HUGE). Here's the ONLY thing you need to absolutely know up front. Once you accept this one thing, rebuildables will be just another learning process. That is this:

You WILL cuss, scream, moan, curse the day genesis' were invented, and you may or may not throw your genesis once or twice, depending on your temperament.

On the other hand, once you figure it out, you will KNOW just what people talk about when they refer to amazing flavor and vapor, and you will be able to replicate it over and over.

Genesis atomizers have a heck of a learning curve, but once you find the way to season a wick that works best for you, it gets easy. I'm NOT kidding. There was a time that I spent hours fighting hot spots and breaking down in tears when it didnt work after all that work. After just a couple weeks though, I got to the point that I can roll a wick, coil it, and be vaping in under 5 minutes.

WNCmotard

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2012
Western NC
I personally don't think the setup on a genesis is the mysterious dark art it's made out to be, but I have other hobbies that are way more fiddly, and involve much smaller parts, so YMMV.

I setup my first two genesis setups over the weekend, and thanks to watching many videos posted here at ECF, both of my first setups worked right out of the gate. I had to adjust for a few hotspots, but that's it. I did pop a coil yesterday, then popped five in row re-coiling, but realized what was going wrong, corrected it, and been using it ever since without issue.

As stated, the flavor is amazing, and I'm most likely going all genesis from here on out based on that, and the fact I never have to buy anything but juice and batteries for a long time to come as I have plenty of mesh and kanthal wire.

TheSenator

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2012
Houston, Texas
Zen makes it seem so easy!

It's like those guys on HorsePower TV. They build a complete 502ci motor in 30 minutes!

Thanks for this thread! Looks like I'm just a little bit behind you on my journey here. I just received my Provari last week and already looking at getting into rebuilding.

spraintz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2010
Dallas, TX
haha, couldn't have said it better my self.

keep in mind that guy is like a Yoda of coil making. All the good videos make it look that simple and it really kinda is..........once you have it figured out. Those videos also make it look like there is soo much room to work and that the wire always cooperates ;)

Knowledge is power tho, watch a ton of videos, read all the wick tips and suggestions, check out all the various methods and when you finally get one and start building, it all kinda makes sense. Just remember there is no one perfect way that works for everybody but like said above once you have the way that works for you then it's a matter of minutes to make a new coil and wick. Heck, I sometimes just make a new coil or wick just for fun/later use.

The genesis style rebuildables are kinda big but they aren't much bigger than a cartomizer tank.....just a lil heavier ;)

VaporHead512

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 16, 2012
TX
I'm about to pick up a few cartomizers from smoktek and I asw that they carry the phoenix rebuildable. It doesn't give me a description though, so I'm not sure if it comes with (extra) mesh/wick/wire. And I can't seem to find any on their website. Would love to be able to get everything I need for it on their site.

Also, what sort of meter/testing kit do I need, and would you happen to see it on their website? If you happen to take the time to look through their products, thanks a bunch.

rondasherrill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2012
Valhalla
I'm about to pick up a few cartomizers from smoktek and I asw that they carry the phoenix rebuildable. It doesn't give me a description though, so I'm not sure if it comes with (extra) mesh/wick/wire. And I can't seem to find any on their website. Would love to be able to get everything I need for it on their site.

Also, what sort of meter/testing kit do I need, and would you happen to see it on their website? If you happen to take the time to look through their products, thanks a bunch.

Their Phoenix style atomizer appears to come with one extra premade wick/coil, but they don't sell extra wick and wire. As far as a meter, I suggest one of these: Digital Cartomizer / Atomizer Resistance Tester (Ohm Meter) Then again, you have a Provari, so you can use it as your meter. That's what I do.

WNCmotard

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2012
Western NC
I remember someone talking about using something to make sure your rebuildable is set up properly before putting it on your device, in my case a Provari. Maybe it was just simply checking the Ω

The provari will do that too, it's under AO in the menu, and will fire that atty / coil to ohm it for you. It also has so many failsafes that there is really nothing to be worried about. Your Zen video was a godsend tonight by the way, I never would have prodded a hot coil without seeing that. Man, that makes it much, MUCH easier.

rondasherrill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2012
Valhalla
I remember someone talking about using something to make sure your rebuildable is set up properly before putting it on your device, in my case a Provari. Maybe it was just simply checking the Ω

With alot of mods an improperly done rebuildable could fry a battery, or the mod, but in the case of the Provari it will just error out. It is likely that it will error out on the first click of the button when you first put the coil on the rebuildable. Just ignore the error and tap it the 13 times to get to Ao. Also, make sure the voltage is turned all the way down to 2.9v(3.3v for the v1) when you are getting it set up.

VaporHead512

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 16, 2012
TX
Thanks for all the help...

I've got a big bottle of everclear that I only use when watermelons are at my HEB, can I use it to clean my atomizer? I've seen some folks recommend it, but not really sure exactly how to do it. Just soak it?

Also, how do people feel about the vapemate, and are there any other items like it that I can compare to?

Last edited:

B4DJ1N64N

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2010
Indonesia
You can soak your atty for a couple hours in everclear, then blow through the connector side of your atty to take out excess alcohol, then you'll good to go. Some people also like to dry their atty using hairdryer or just put it somewhere warm to vaporize lingering alcohol.
Can't help about vapemate since I never use one.

VaporHead512

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 16, 2012
TX
I'm gonna post this here cuz I like you guys and y'all have helped me a great deal.

It's a free iphone app, called VapeMate, which I found accidentally. Basically it's similar to the banners you see around, but obviously for your phone. The coolest thing about it is that you can simply press the + button to add any new purchase amounts. I really like that. Some people may think meh, but the folks I've shown it to love it so far.

You'll have to change it from euros to dollars because it's a UK app.

If anyone knows of a better app than this one, fill me in! Otherwise, enjoy.

VapeMate app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread