Not open for further replies.

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
WHAT piece of vape gear was a GAME CHANGER for you?

This might be a fun thread for a day or three. ;)

This isn't a poll, nor will there be any tallies. You don't even have to say WHY it was a game changer, but ya can if you'd like to.

This is all just fer fun!!!! Do feel free to post more than once.

And pictures are MORE than welcome. :D

You don't have to tag a friend, but that could be fun too!!!

(oh, you who. @DPLongo22 )

I started vaping in 2011 with cigalikes and 510 attIEs. Drip 3 drops, vape 3 drops, drip 3 drops, vape 3 drops, DRIP 3 DROPS - :grr:

(In the car, at the bar, in the dark, mamma mia whatta lark!)

Game changer for me - The Darwin, with a Kartomizer! WOO HOO!

bling darwin.jpg

KD~

Last edited:

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
I need to confess. It was my daughter that took me to that vape shop (she was about 26-27 years old then) and was showing me all the cool stuff there (later she told me that she had visited that shop prior to my arrival at her home in Kentucky, from my home in Minnesota for a visit). Anyways, she and the clerk were showing me these Spinner II's and EVOD2's, and even had me try some different juices that they had. I walked out the door with over $150 of new vape gear (2 Spinner II's and 2 EVOD2's and some replacement coils and juice). When I walked in the shop, I had a half pack of smokes in my pocket, and I still have that same half pack of smokes up in my closet right now. I too had no inclination to stop smoking, I was just gonna humor her before I said "Thanks, but No Thanks Honey". Funny how life has it's twists and turns, and God Bless my youngest daughter.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I find it interesting that we all have had similar paths to where we are now, but often those paths went in different directions to realize our ultimate goal: harm reduction by vaping and eliminating an addiction to tobacco.

Many of us shared similar pieces of gear, such as cartomizers, cartotanks, or a Kayfun atomizer, or a cigalike, ego, or a Provari. For others it took what at one time was considered to be radical -- something called sub-ohm vaping or high wattage vaping.

Even though we all took similar yet different paths on our journies it sounds like most of us have found our personal game changer(s) to get us off of tobacco. It just confirms that there is no one correct way to vape and no right setup that is perfect for everyone. What ever works for you. The vast variety is a means to a common end.

Grats to all of the successful storytellers, and good luck to those who are still fighting the fight of their lives.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Fun thread, @Katdarling. :thumbs: I hope everyone enjoys my story and pics along the way.

My journey began with cigalikes from Smokeless Image in 2012. They got me off of 'da smokes, but I quickly grew frustrated with the poor battery life and limited e-liquid capacity. I got my first mechanical mods about a month into vaping, an AltSmoke Silver Bullet and BB, topped with a cartotank which solved both problems and was my first game changer.

full
full

Custom cartotanks from High Desert Vapes and Phiniac/Bella Tanks on a BB and Silver Bullet

It didn't take me long to find IBTanked cartotanks which were the "thing" back in the day. They were affordable and of high quality. I developed the "drip & flick method" of filling a cartomizer for ECF followers. Baditude's Cartotank Setup Guide I probably had a dozen cartotanks, each set up simultaneously with different flavors.

284852-f31c2563399529bfe5b64bdcd4c23009.jpg
284853-f0f0de3733fbca277ce7ca6e9b910277.jpg

IBTanked cartotanks

About 3 months into vaping I purchased my first Provari. I wanted to try variable voltage to adjust my vape on the fly. I'll say the Provari was my top game changer. Why Provari? I was one of the founding members of the Provarinati on ECF. A Provari/IBTanked cartotank was my favorite setup for years.

full
full

Provari's, Silver Bullet, BB, and cartotanks

I tried most of the early clearomizers back in the day, but none really compared to the cartotanks flavor-wise. I experimented with the first Genesis-style rebuildable tanks -- (AGA T) -- but they had to be held verticle to prevent leaking, had to be tilted sideways to feed the wick, and required SS wicks, which were a pain. Along came the Kayfun Lite Plus RTA, a gift from a friend, which had incredible flavor and didn't leak, but in hindsight it was somewhat of a pain to wick properly and had extremely tight airflow.

287961-a621c836221a280de6639192cb96e152.jpg
287962-729bbada20c0c86bf53cb57ca6ff8995.jpg

Genesis-style RTA on Provari's and Silver Bullet

In 2014 I began working for a vape shop and reluctantly retired the Provari/cartotank/Kayfun combos and got into sub-ohm vaping with a Patriot RDA and Velocity RDA on my old Silver Bullet mech, -- great flavor and vapor production to become a new game changer.

About 11/2 years ago a friend gifted me a RX200 (my first high wattage mod) and original Crown sub-ohm clearomizer tank. This was the first clearomizer that I could fall in love with and became a gamechanger. And although I only vape under 40 watts, I grew to enjoy sub-ohm vaping, another game changer. I used both the RDA's (on the SB) and Crown tanks (on the RX200) for about a year, then grew tired and lazy of rebuilding and wicking the RDA's every 3 - 4 days and began to use the RX200/Crowns almost exclusively.

Today I use a JAC Vapour series B DNA75W regulated mod with an original Crown clearomizer and couldn't be happier. K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid) has always been my motto. The Jackie is like a powerful Mini-Provari and the Crown is so simple easy to use without sacrificing flavor and vapor. Thanks Kat. :wub:

thumbs_img_4963.jpg

JAC Vapour series B DNA75

Last edited:

JayPMac

Dec 25, 2011
Minnesota
By November of 2011, I'd been smoking cigarettes for 50 years. Lucky Strike, Marlboro, then Marlboro Light. Pack a day. And it was starting to take a toll on my body. Persistent cough. Ashen complexion.

Decades ago, I tried using Nicorette lozenges to quit. Lasted all of two weeks. I was wired to a high-wire. My friends begged me to start smoking again. And I was happy to comply.

Fast forward to 2007. The coughing fits start. I buy Hall’s cough drops. When I lay down to sleep at night, my lungs fill with fluid, which I spit into a cup on the floor by the bed. I con my doctor into writing a prescription for a sleep aid.

It was one of those I-Wasn’t-Looking-But-She-Showed-Up kinds of things. After we’d been dating a few months, I gushed about her to a dear friend. “Do you want to enjoy this relationship as long as possible?” she asked. “Of course”, I said. “Then quit smoking”, she said.

I loved cigarettes. And I quit cigarettes on January 5, 2012. What did it take? All the motivation any sane man would need: I fell in love with a woman… then with myself.

The ePower 1650 kit arrived. 3.7V, Kanger cartos, and SmokeTech tobacco-flavored e-liquid (24 mg) Despite the incomprehensible instructions, I assembled it. It was a revelation. I got my Nic Fix, and all the familiar rituals (except striking a match) were in place. In the first year, I still bought the occasional pack of Marbs. But since 2013, I've not smoked a single cigarette. My cough disappeared, taste buds activated, and my complexion returned to its usual ruddy glow.

In 2016, I upgraded to a ProVari. Then to a Provari 3. Then added the ProVari Mini. I was headed to the Grave, then I took the proper detour. Halleluiah.

upload_2017-12-6_20-8-6.png

WhiteHighlights

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
MetroWest Boston, MA, USA
For me, ECF was definitely THE game changer. One day I impulsively picked up a Blu starter kit instead of a carton of cigarettes, thinking of attempt number gazillion to quit. I wasn't overly impressed with Blu but that drove me to google where I found ECF. ECF was in the midst of the ProVari wars, which was entertaining reading to say the least. I bit the bullet and got myself a ProVari and Protank2. A month later I ordered my 2nd setup as a backup. ECF also led me to RTAs and DIY. I'm in a happy place today.

I have a collection of other devices now but that initial ProVari/Protank2 set up sealed my fate as a vaper and nonsmoker.

Today is 4 years and 3 months cigarette free. For grins I checked a quit banner -- over 31,000 cigarettes avoided. WOW!

Thank you to all the wonderful and supportive people here.

Last edited:

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
GAME CHANGERS:

My old "Big P" cartos. :ohmy: Held a whopping 6ml of juice, vaped with a PUNCH, and lasted freaking for-EVER (refill after refill after refill after...). I vaped these suckers for a full year or so, because I couldn't find anything that compared (get your minds outta da guttahs!). :lol:

Bad-boys were BIG, for sure. Those are Provis in 18650 mode that they're almost dwarfing. F'ugly too! Conversation starters though. :blink:

I still have about 10 unopened in their original wrappers. Saving them for... heck - I have NO idea! :facepalm:

ProVari_Both.jpg

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
OK, I'm here. I bought my first kit, GreenSmoke, in December 2009. It was OK--I liked their tobacco and mint flavors. Found ECF, then V4L, refillable cartomizers--but that polyfill inside always burned, sooner or later--and those cigalike batteries lasted maybe one hour. Then came Martinez and Badkolo and first fillerless cartomizers, top coil, not a breakthrough we were hoping for. Hot coils, wicking problems, Vivi novas. Longer-lasting but only 3.3v eGo batteries...

The first breakthrough/game changer was a good clearomizer made by Kanger--T2, T3, ProTank and finally Evod, Aerotank, Subtank mini. No more burning filler! :thumb:

Second game changer--variable voltage batteries (ProVari and Joytech Twist, and Spinners)--and Ohm's Law Online Calculator! :lol: And finally variable wattage mods (thank you, Evolv)! Goodbye Ohm's Law calculator! :thumb:

Third game changer--RBAs (thank you Raidy and SvoeMesto)! :thumb:

Fourth game changer--TC (work in progress). ;)

But the most important game changer for me (also) was finding ECF. Without the help, camaraderie, good advice, occasional fights and bitter arguments, friendships, and never-ending support from fellow members, none of this would have been possible. Thank you, @Oliver, for realizing, 10 years ago, that such a place for vapers was desperately needed! :wub:

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Started with the eGo Twist and the cartridges. Game changer for me was finding the Genuine Vivi Nova. When I got the Nova, I finally quit those last cigarettes.

After all the scare over the FDA, I decided that I needed something that would last for a LONG time and didn't need new premade coils, I got the KFL+. Learned how to build my own coils. Still hate doing that. New game changer is back to buying premade with the Kabuki.

I didn't want to splurge on the ProVari when I didn't even think that vaping would actually work to stop smoking. After I totally went all vape, that is when I purchased my first ProVari. The longevity is what really drew me to it. That and just rotating batteries instead of losing the device when it needed charging like the twist did.

Now I am in my happy place. I am not one to keep trying things. I wait till the new is on the market for a long time and read what real people have as their experiences with said device. That is how I knew that people were having problems with clones of the vivi nova and the Genuine did not give people so many problems.

I learned its quirks and learned how to problem solve. Each topper has its own quirks. Just have to learn how to deal them as they crop up.

One thing I love about the Kabuki, there doesn't seem to be any quirks! :D

My progression so far:

eGo twist
ProVari

Cartridges
Vivi Nova
KFL+
Kabuki

Just a simple girl. ;)

ppeeble

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2013
Poole UK
Provari 2 and a carto in a tank. The FIRST device i could carry around with me and not worry that it would break / leak / die.
Everything before that was fraught with anxiety whenever i left the house. Forget watts, forget clouds n flavah, forget bling. Reliability was everything (still is).

TravelinGirl

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2009
The South
Started vaping in Early May 2009. Started with I believe a 4081 cig-a-like.

There was not much out there in 2009 :)

Stuck with it, found ECF in July 2009.

Found Volcano Ecig. Fell in love.

I was here when we used the blue foam and tea bags :) :) :) :)

Can not remember the order of which I purchased and tried these things but was always on the chase for the next best thing. This is not ALL I have acquired the past 9 years. I have tubs and tubs of stuff. I pull it out every now and then and take a trip down memory lane :)

I wore my F5 key slam out on Got Vapes forums waiting for the newest and "best" thing to drop in the wee hours of the morning :)

Off the top of my head here is what I have used over the past 9 years:
1. 4081
2. 808
3. 510 atty and stick battery. Insert blue foam here :)
4. Ego landed and we thought we were in heaven :)
5. Then there was one, I forget the name.. It was a ego but with replaceable batteries. Oh, now, we were in heaven then :)
6. ce2's fell and now we were talking :) insert tea bags here :)

Raidey hit the scene somewhere along in here. He was the guy who brought us the SS wick and rebuildables were in our life. If it was not for Co-Op's and Scubabatdan, we may never would have gotten them in our hands. Then China started cloning them and here we are today with rebuildables. SO all of you rebuildable fans, Thank Raidey for the master mind in creating them and Dan for holding co-ops on them. etc etc etc

7. Provari
8. Stallion cartos
9. there was one Got Vapes dropped called the Raven. It had a web type outer cover thingie with a carto, I believe. You see, I never got to use it. I do not think any of us did :) Got Vapes pounded this thing in our brain for months. Badkola (Chris) teased us vaping on his test model saying oh guys you are going to love this one. THEN IT WAS RELEASED. Hundred, maybe thousands of us stayed up into the wee hours of the morning to get one. We received it and DUD.. the Mfr had made some "tweeks" and did not tell Got Vapes and they were CRAP.....

It seemed every single thing we got, Banjo, BR, Badkola and I forget the other names, had to mod the darn thing to find us a fix so we could vape it. You kept every single o'ring, filler, wick, you name it from things that no longer worked because somewhere along the way, you would need that little thingy majig to make something else you bought work :)

10. Phoenix bottom coil carto. AWESOME stuff back then
11. THE GO GO... THAT CHANGED MY WORLD where vaping was concerned. I vaped a Go Go for several years. It was because of the Go Go Eric opened Discount Vaper all because of a charging cord :) :) :) :)
12.The next thing I remember is the Darwin. OMG loved that thing.
13. Then I remember the Vivi Nova. THAT is when my vaping really too off.
14. Protanks started hitting the market and I never looked back. I STILL VAPE PROTANKS, mega's, Giants, regular, mini... I vape them all.

OH, MAP tanks.. how could I forget MAP tanks. Mad Angry Pirate was my hero

AND A MOUNTAIN OF OTHER THINGS I FORGET...

I was here early on. I ate, slept and breathed ECF trying to find the next best thing or a 'fix' for what I had. How in the world I quit smoking 2 packs a day back in 2009 with the gear we had, I have no clue :)

What a ride it has been the past 9 years and even though I got ...... a crap gear early on, I would not trade it for the world.

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
Love the history lessons!

Like so many of you, I discovered "e-cigarettes" back in the day (2010). And, like so many of you, those little cig-a-likes just were insufficient. I had my drive to work timed that I could smoke two cigarettes from door to door. One cig-a-like wouldn't even last to get me to work!

Game changer finally came in 2014 (after watching my Uncle die from lung cancer the summer before) was the Volcano Inferno and refillable clearos.

Since then, other changers have included PT2 tanks, rebuilding, and squonkers.

And ECF and my friends and mentors here :wub:

Ladiekali

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Florida
You seem to have had a pretty rough go at this vaping thing @Ladiekali, but koodos for hanging in there still trying to "Get'er'done". Yours is just one story that shows how hard it is for some to get off of Tobacco. Some of us either Like, or Need, tobacco so much that it takes a certain type of vape to get it accomplished. I salute your "stay-to-it-aveness" in this journey, it looks to have been a rough one indeed for you. Looks like you don't quit easily when you have your mind set on doing something. :thumbs:

thanks so much for this comment. I've tried so hard. My husband who is not a smoker or vaper, says he doesn't understand why i keep trying. I'm giving this all i got. And i think each cigarette i don't smoke is still a success. At first i didn't try sub ohm tanks because i didn't want to be a cloud chaser.. but i'm having better luck.
And my juices taste better. So here's to never giving up :party:

tazzle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2014
Athens, Greece
wow, how did I miss this thread? The stories! <3

For me, gamechanger one was Innokin VV v3 with Kanger Mini Protanks. The mini protanks were a big step up from CE4s, but demanded a good bit of fiddling. I still love the VV v3s, but don't have any good teeny toppers for them. During that period, my first box mod was the MVP.

Number two gamechanger was the eleaf iStick 20w with Nautilus Mini. Then came a couple of Provari Minis when I was finally able to get them here, and then various box mods with external batteries. The Nautilus Mini was my first super reliable, no-fuss, easy-peasey, always-works, tastes-great tank. And we are still using the iStick 20s!

Gamechanger three was the Kayfun Mini 3. Wotta jewel! I had used some earlier Kayfuns, but the Mini 3 was/is the RTA for me. Love.

Gamechanger four was the Ego One tanks with CLR coils, thanks to Katdarling. My only regret is not realizing that Greek customs was going to go full out #*!&ing crazy, and I wish I had ordered a lot more coils. They cost 3-4 Euros EACH here. smh.

ECF was definitely a gamechanger. I didn't feel like DIY was exactly a gamechanger when I started, I just thought it was fun ... but it did turn out to be a gamesaver when TPD came to town, and I was already making all my own juice and had stockpiled nicotine. If it hadn't been for ECF, I wouldn't have been alerted to do that.

Thank you all for everything through the years!

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
WHAT piece of vape gear was a GAME CHANGER for you?

This might be a fun thread for a day or three. ;)

• Please just post the year you started vaping
  • any piece of vape gear you deem to be a "GAME CHANGER"
  • the year it emerged onto our scene

This isn't a poll, nor will there be any tallies. You don't even have to say WHY it was a game changer, but ya can if you'd like to.

This is all just fer fun!!!! But do feel free to post more than once. And pictures are MORE than welcome. :D

You don't have to tag a friend, but that could be fun too!!!

(oh, you who. @DPLongo22 )

Started vaping in 2011
Game changer for me - the Darwin, 2010

View attachment 703291

KD~
I just tossed two non-working vamo's last week.. loved them, got my 1st 2 months after i started (and accidentally quit smoking...).?? Dec 2012 ??

In these pics, a kayfun clone with bell cap that i used up until last year.
Cartos, carto tanks, many of both still wrapped! Xl cartos, ego c (??) toppers maded into drippers and more of the atomizers ( i still have a bag of the tips for 1ml of eliquid somewhere).

OMG.. and i thought I work at this stuff now?? LOL

0f205962cdf50c7d75e52d2206f00097.jpg
2a5ff4c30d96a53d940c67c719aaf4b0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Started vaping typical cig-a-likes in 2010 -11 and wasn't to impressed.
GAME CHANGER #1 , mech mod and carto's...2011...
GAME CHANGER #2, Provari (regulated device) was going to buy the darwin, but didnt.
GAME CHANGER #3, Genesis Atomizer (rebuildables) 2012.
GAME CHANGER #4 , Kayfun 2013. Been a fun ride

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
This is going to be fun! Kat, just where does your mouth go on this thing?

LOL!!!!

On a drip tip, silly! :D

darwinmod3.jpg
darwin kat.jpg

Here, JUMA. You might find this interesting. ( :facepalm: )

darwinman5.jpg

For me, that's easy.
The game changer was when someone came up with the idea of putting a cartomizer in a tank.

But man! Would you ever laugh at some of my early attempts at making a tank!

:D Uh huh! I remember the syringe and bottle modded tanks!

carto old skool tanks grk.jpg

Man, with all the talk here about the Eggroll tanks I think I might need to give it a shot!

YOU DON'T HAVE ONE? (Yet?) :D :D :D

The CLR coils are the first clearo coils that I've ever really, really liked. I find myself using them as much as or more often than my Kayfuns.

Admittedly, me as well, DH!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread