Status
Not open for further replies.

GraCnT

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 3, 2012
Staten Island, NY
e-pipeman:10594710 said:
At the end of the day the problem is money - big money - the money gained from tobacco tax and from NRT products.

There's a lot of hoop-la about government caring about our health. If that was the case tobacco would be banned.

Sadly this is all about money. :(

Amen!
This is what it all comes down to.

I think what these kids, are trying (if anything) is probably those disposable e-hookah flavored ones, sold in those clear plastic tubes.
They are low nic, I believe 6 or 10mg. I mean, this is just my opinion.
It's a fad if anything to"take a puff" that one puff. Ugh. Would this make them or anyone a smoker of tobacco?? NO.
As we all know, they are 2 completely different things.
This irritates me so much how these surveys word things to suit their own needs.

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
There is a large population of teens using :censored:. The government is actually doing a lot more about that than nicotine and cigarettes, especially in high schools. In high school I partook in illegal substances and was caught at school after a random drug search. They found my cigarettes and the police officers and school staff didn't look twice, even though I was under legal age. They didn't even take the pack. In my town, kids that are in middle school can walk down the street smoking a cigarette.
That said, I personally believe it would be A LOT harder to get hooked on e cigarettes than analogs. Most of us can attest to that. And did the CDC include no-nicotine juice in their survey? That population of kids that don't use nicotine in their PVs I can honestly ignore. Its either that or they're going to purchase a hookah off the internet for the nice flavors.
+1.
We are the children who lost our youth to cigarettes. We are the children who finally discovered a safer alternative to help us finally quit smoking those cigarettes. We are the children who demand that other childhoods not be ruined by a life of cigarette slavery. We are the children.

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
Even here, at ECF, there used to be a small group of posters who dedicated their lives to reporting YouTube videos of teens helping others to quit smoking. These posters never found the "cool, ya gotta try these!" Factor. Video after video was a teen devoted to quitting smoking and helping others to quit smoking. The ecig made that possible for them. They don't want to be addicted to anything anymore. They learned their lesson and are listening up now. Yet, people were reporting them, having their videos removed, because, they were underage. Some were in fact NOT underage, and they had to fight the banning, loosing precious helping time. The posters reporting them didn't believe them, didn't care.
Meanwhile on YouTube were hundreds of videos of kids, PRE-TEENS smoking in the malls, smoking in church, smoking to smoke because it was oh so forbidden. These same kids, I imagine, later, are desperately trying to quit smoking cigarettes. The powers that be, won't allow that.
I was a PRE-TEEN smoker.

Bob Chill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
Sans Nom, USA
I think what gets under my skin the most is the cards that are played and the collateral damage after legislation is passed. Not speaking about ecigs specifically here. Just the whole trend over the last 15 years or so. It's very disturbing.

We basically have no right to privacy anymore. I'm not some paranoid weirdo but my goodness the powers the government has to invade our personal lives is completely beyond anything our founding fathers stood for. The Patriot Act isn't just about terrorism but that was the card that was played. A completely false tip can give the government powers to read all your emails, all your texts, listen to your calls, check your bank accounts and credit cards, probably even check what color underwear you are wearing and all this can happen without you ever knowing about it. They say if they find something that was unrelated that you couldn't be prosecuted for it but does anybody really believe that? Anybody?

Parents have been deemed incapable of parenting so there's decisions made for them one after the other. They obviously don't know whats best for their kids.

Citizens don't know what's best for them so those decisions are being made too. Heck we apparently don't know what's an acceptable sized drink to get so that decision is being made for us. It's embarrassing.

Homeowners and home buyers are so stupid and ignorant that they obviously can't make a good financial decision so they can now select a loan that is either vanilla or vanilla. Allergic to vanilla? No loan for you. Talk to some self employed folks or good folks that had something bad happen to them recently and see how they feel about the American dream of homeownership.

I really could make this a 10 page post. The government doesn't move backwards easily either. Once they take they rarely give back. Even if it's obvious the pendulum went too far the other way.

I do have some faith that things won't shake out as worst case scenario for the ecig world but there are plenty of reasons to doubt an acceptable outcome when rules are drafted.

Last edited:

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
I started smoking at the age of 13 and by 14 I was smoking a pack-a-day.

I guess in order to be legal and Politically Correct today ...
One should tell teens struggling to quit smoking ... They should
continue smoking until they are 18 ... and then try e-smoking.
(sarcasm)

I've been doing just that. They have to pay their dues, to satisfy the tax hungry politicians.

Baldr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2011
Dallas, Tx
I saw a piece on the NBC Nightly News tonight. They had a teenager being interviewed saying he used e-cigarettes. Showed him using a mod. His parents were aware of this (They interviewed the Dad, and expressed concern). Honestly, all this piece was missing was the screen crawler that said this message brought to you by Phillip Morris. I can't speak for other parts of the country, but in my area, it is common to see kids at the local high school smoke cigarettes. While I know that my observances aren't the be all/end all, I've yet to see any kid use an e-cigarette/mod.

A close friend of mine is a high school teacher in Dallas, and she tells me that a lot of the kids vape in the bathrooms. If they smoked a cigarette, the smell gives them away, but they can vape with little chance of being caught.

I've no doubt that more teens are vaping than in the past. More people of *all* age groups are vaping. I'm fine with laws saying you can't buy as a teenager, but that's never stopped teens from getting alcohol or tobacco or anything else, and it won't stop them from getting batteries and atomizers and e-juice (oh my!)

If it were my kid, I wouldn't want them to start vaping. But if my kid started smoking, I'd ground him for the rest of his life. If he started vaping, I'd be unhappy, but I'd deal with it. The risk level is drastically different.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Overreact much?

How do you figure? How is citing facts overreacting?

San Francisco bans Happy Meals - Los Angeles Times

Health Panel Approves Restriction on Sale of Large Sugary Drinks - New York Times

Bloomberg’s ban prohibits 2-liter soda with your pizza and some nightclub mixers - New York Post

Add to these, the fact that there are several anti gun bills being considered, some of which have been shot down, but some are still in consideration and we ALL know about the eCig attacks.

There has got to be a line as to how far the government can go.

DoogieTony

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
Indianapolis, IN
There is zero chance that study is accurate. Since highschool kids can be 18 yrs old, were they included?
Even if it was accurate, how many of them actually went and bought a pv as opposed to buying a disposable from a gas station?
My money is on gas stations, who shouldn't be selling to minors anyway.

Studies like this can be used to represent any conclusion people want them to show.

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
FYI. My son is a junior in H.S. He says a lot of the kids that smoke carry ecigs at school and sneek a hit when they can. And most of them are using the EGO style with a tank.If it becomes better tasting than a stinky and they switch it would be better!
Thanks for sharing ...
I suggest many adults don't realize how popular e-cigs really are
with High School students.

When we see articles quoting statistics about teenage vaping ...
very possibly they are not exaggerating.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Thanks for sharing ...
I suggest many adults don't realize how popular e-cigs really are
with High School students.

When we see articles quoting statistics about teenage vaping ...
very possibly they are not exaggerating.

True, but you also have to realize that the term 'teenager" also includes those 18 and 19 years old that are of legal age to smoke and vape.

EDIT: WOOT just realized this is my 1000th post!

Last edited:

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
FYI. My son is a junior in H.S. He says a lot of the kids that smoke carry ecigs at school and sneek a hit when they can. And most of them are using the EGO style with a tank.If it becomes better tasting than a stinky and they switch it would be better!
I wish those were available back in my school bathroom smoking days.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
There is zero chance that study is accurate. Since highschool kids can be 18 yrs old, were they included?
Even if it was accurate, how many of them actually went and bought a pv as opposed to buying a disposable from a gas station?
My money is on gas stations, who shouldn't be selling to minors anyway.

Studies like this can be used to represent any conclusion people want them to show.

Yes there were subjects as old as 19 years.

And you are correct. If you purposely don't collect the data required to give you real answers, you can make any claim you want to about your limited data.

kbf101998

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2013
Brentwood, Tn, USA
Road being paved for regulation and tax. Thats it. Follow the money.

100% agree--always follow the money! One thing the government (city, state, federal) always counts on is that...most people are 'sheep-like' and if they hear it on the 'news' it must be true. Since there is no journalism involved in 'news' these days. What they hear...has been fed to the media...by guess who...

That is how all of this snowballs out of control--tobacco--the soda hoop-la...
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon with the most people on it--and rides along- repeating what they 'heard' or 'read' without doing any research to educate themselves at all. This allows the 'Nanny Government' free reign to do what ever they want.

The only thing that hasn't really 'caught-on' is that obesity kills too---I don't see any scales at the grocery store check-out lanes to triple 'taxes' on fattening food being purchased by someone who is over-weight. Wonder why????

Last edited:

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
The only thing that hasn't really 'caught-on' is that obesity kills too---I don't see any scales at the grocery store check-out lanes to triple 'taxes' on fattening food being purchased by someone who is over-weight. Wonder why????
1-Shhh_2.jpg

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
The key twist to the CDC propaganda is that it reported that "ever used" doubled. This tells us absolutely NOTHING.

In 2011, Billy says on the survey that he once tried an e-cigarette, but Sally says she hasn't. In 2012, Sally tried one. So, in the 2012 survey, both Sally and Billy say they once tried an e-cigarette. The number has now DOUBLED from 2011. What does it tell us? ZIP. Because neither Billy or Sally STILL uses e-cigarettes, both smoke traditional cigarettes (and have been since 2010) and both are 18 and can legally smoke.

So, how relevant is it to society that the "ever tried" e-cigs number "doubled?" Obviously, it isn't.

More relevant is DAILY e-cig use VS actual SMOKING. It would also be more relevant even if they just reported the "tried but don't still use" by year - excluding the 2011 respondents from the 2012 respondents. Meaning, if 200 kids tried an e-cig once or twice in 2011 (but don't use daily) and 189 kids first tried them in 2012, the rate of kids TRYING them has not "doubled," its remained about the same: around 200 kids tried them in 2011 and close to the same number tried them in 2012. Instead, they added the 2011 kids to the 2012 kids (by including them in the 2012 survey) and claimed that "use" doubled. In reality, the RATE of "use" (ever tried) was the same. If you use the example of Billy and Sally, one youth tried them in 2011 (Billy) and one youth tried them in 2012 (Sally). In order to really be significant as "doubled", Sally and John would have to have tried them in 2012, so one person tried them in 2011 and TWO people tried them in 2012.

Very sneaky.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread