Game over - "E-cigarette use doubles among U.S. teens"

Status
Not open for further replies.

artbyshan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2012
Chattanooga, TN
I saw a piece on the NBC Nightly News tonight. They had a teenager being interviewed saying he used e-cigarettes. Showed him using a mod. His parents were aware of this (They interviewed the Dad, and expressed concern). Honestly, all this piece was missing was the screen crawler that said this message brought to you by Phillip Morris. I can't speak for other parts of the country, but in my area, it is common to see kids at the local high school smoke cigarettes. While I know that my observances aren't the be all/end all, I've yet to see any kid use an e-cigarette/mod.

rhm3769

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2013
Huntersville, NC
Not sure if its been mentioned or not.... what were the sample sizes between those asked? Did they just ask if they used one at least a year ago and if they are using them now? How many used a year ago and still use and how many used then but not now? How many of those who have and are using actually own one and how many sneak hits from family with them or from older friends?

Exhaler

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 3, 2013
Mountains of NC, USA
I wonder how many kids are smoking other illegal stuff? Seems not many in state or federal governments seems to be worried about it anymore. It's just that nasty nicotine that's the demon they want to go after. :censored: is good, nic is bad, is that what government is telling kids these days? I think so.

Last edited by a moderator:

Intervap

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2013
Port Huron, Mi
Exhaler:10597879 said:
I wonder how many kids are smoking other illegal stuff? Seems not many in state or federal governments seems to be worried about it anymore. It's just that nasty nicotine that's the demon they want to go after. :censored: is good, nic is bad, is that what government is telling kids these days? I think so.
There is a large population of teens using :censored:. The government is actually doing a lot more about that than nicotine and cigarettes, especially in high schools. In high school I partook in illegal substances and was caught at school after a random drug search. They found my cigarettes and the police officers and school staff didn't look twice, even though I was under legal age. They didn't even take the pack. In my town, kids that are in middle school can walk down the street smoking a cigarette.
That said, I personally believe it would be A LOT harder to get hooked on e cigarettes than analogs. Most of us can attest to that. And did the CDC include no-nicotine juice in their survey? That population of kids that don't use nicotine in their PVs I can honestly ignore. Its either that or they're going to purchase a hookah off the internet for the nice flavors.

Last edited by a moderator:

MonkInsane

ECF Veteran
There needs to be regulation requiring age limits. Funny thing is all the sites I buy from ask you birthday info before even viewing. But we all know that doesn't stop much.

Regulation is coming on the nicotine content. I have no doubt

The article is like every other, small amount if info mostly misrepresented as something frightening

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Which doesn't work 50% of the time

This is a bunch of bull! Every online store I've bought from requires you to be over 18 to purchase. Suddenly it is e-cigs fault that store owners/tellers break the law by selling to minors? Does this sound logical?

What about all the kids smoking cigarettes? Kids will be kids - some will experiment - better they experiment with an ecig than an conventional cigarette. Don't get me wrong, in a perfect world they should not touch either.

Since when has laws and regulations stopped anyone determined enough?

It's like the gun laws, how is regulating legal firearms going to stop the sale of illegal firearms? Who makes these laws? Are they realy THIS ......ED????

dspin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2010
USA
This is a bunch of bull! Every online store I've bought from requires you to be over 18 to purchase. Suddenly it is e-cigs fault that store owners/tellers break the law by selling to minors? Does this sound logical?

What about all the kids smoking cigarettes? Kids will be kids - some will experiment - better they experiment with an ecig than an conventional cigarette. Don't get me wrong, in a perfect world they should not touch either.

Since when has laws and regulations stopped anyone determined enough?

It's like the gun laws, how is regulating legal firearms going to stop the sale of illegal firearms? Who makes these laws? Are they realy THIS ......ED????

Well said. Very true, kids will smoke and vape. Age restriction or not. Shoot, we were smoking the neighbors cigs at 12 when we could swipe one. Actually not smoking/inhaling - just puffing.

To my opinion, if you give a 16 yo the right to drive around in a death machine like an idiot, they can vape/smoke too.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Oh but the Nanny state dictates our freedoms must be taken away to save the children until we live in such oppression that our kids won't want to live here anyway. Kids are getting fat better ban Happy Meals and large sodas. Kids are choosing a safer alternative to smoking better ban that. Some idiot shot a kid better take away the guns.

When will they learn that you can't fix stupid with laws? If we don't stop this soon, they only choice that will still be ours is on abortion.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
I find it interesting that when the Drexel study came out there was no TV media coverage, nationally or locally and Drexel and I are both in the Philly area. This CDC report made both. This is so convenient with the FDA planning Dog and Pony Show II, this time with a real bite I'm guessing.

The message today is that we're seeing the start of a pandemic among our dear youth (even though the one they had on the today show was a smoker looking for a safer alternative) of a product that "we just don't know" what the long term effects are and it will take years to find out. Also the fact that many can obtain them over the internet was sent. I'm getting a pretty clear picture of what we can expect in the next month or so. The FDA has just been working on insuring the majority of people will support their stance and that's not hard considering at least 70% of the population is tobacco/nicotine free.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
I would guarantee....
Its a joke but I think we don't have a chance when the bigger ecigg companies are against us
and they get away with this kind of propaganda making accusations with no proof

They don't need any darn truth, that's what money is for.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
At the end of the day the problem is money - big money - the money gained from tobacco tax and from NRT products.

There's a lot of hoop-la about government caring about our health. If that was the case tobacco would be banned.

Sadly this is all about money. :(

Please, get it right, tobacco wouldn't be banned. Smoking tobacco would be banned.

Lombaowski

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 22, 2013
DC via the 313
Oh but the Nanny state dictates our freedoms must be taken away to save the children until we live in such oppression that our kids won't want to live here anyway. Kids are getting fat better ban Happy Meals and large sodas. Kids are choosing a safer alternative to smoking better ban that. Some idiot shot a kid better take away the guns.

When will they learn that you can't fix stupid with laws? If we don't stop this soon, they only choice that will still be ours is on abortion.
Overreact much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread