Glycerine/Glycol And Teeth/Gum Threat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

danieljp

Nov 15, 2009
My dentist always warned me of gum dangers related to smoking cigarettes--receding gum line and bone loss. So overall heath (whole body) benefits I think are still a better risk than smoking analogs. I go every 6 months for a cleaning so it will be interesting to get the hygienist's assessment. I started vaping the day after I went for a cleaning. Another note: my teeth would by now be stained from analogs and they're still just like after the cleaning 60 days ago.

Bandit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2009
In your bushes, watching you undress
Hi everyone. Dr Steel23 here.
I just found this thread and would like to comment. As in all medical fields, there is often a large discrepancy between the "holistic approaches" and true evidence-based clinical practice.

The information you have been reading is, unfortunately, anecdotal at best and drivel at worst. The man with the PhD who preaches it is a joke who I'd guess holds stock in the soap that he wants you to brush with.

Glycerin in toothpaste does NOT recede your gumline or ruin your teeth. Nor does it leach fillings or loosen teeth. Glycerin in oral products is used mainly for its lubricating properties with no ill effect. As one small example, my oral surgeon colleague and I often treat radiation patients suffering extreme dry mouth due to a complete loss of their salivary gland function. We supplement their treatment with a water/glycerine mixture and combined with proper hygiene, their oral improvement is rapid.

But glycerin is not the demon you believe it to be. Your loosening tooth and receding gum line are from other problems. See your dentist.

On the suggest of vaping, I can’t give you long-term data because there is none. I am also unaware that vaping would dehydrate you. But if you insist on vaping and find that it dries your mouth severely, ask your dentist for a bottle of Biotene (which coincidentally, also has PG in it) and rinse with it periodically. It won't hurt you.

Hope this helps.
Steel23

What's astonishing to me is that people would actually believe that ingredients (tested) in most every toothpaste would actually be harmful to..... wait for it..... TEETH & GUMS. :D Gimme a break. Some folks will believe anything they read on the internet I suppose.

BTW: I loved this part:

But glycerin is not the demon you believe it to be. Your loosening tooth and receding gum line are from other problems. See your dentist.

OhSnap.gif

steel23

ECF Veteran
Oct 9, 2009
Is there a necessity for increased oral care because the mouthpiece introduces more bacteria -much more so than analogs and unlike pipe smokers, vapers tend to use the mouthpiece for far longer periods so combined with PG are we in fact getting more bacteria into the mouth?I guess what I am trying to say is do we need to clean our teeth more often now that we vape and do we need to soak mouthpieces in a disinfect solution when these are not being used?- like overnight,

Hi Vaporista.
It's best not to share your PV for those reasons.
It's also a great reason to have some sort of carrying case for it.
Be conscious of where you place your PV regularly. Is it stuffed into a pair of dirty jeans, on a dusty shelf, or laying on a bar table frequently? Bacteria hop on anything, so wipe it down and switch out old tips every so often to keep it clean.
I see no need to change brushing habits if you are brushing properly.
Dr. Steel23

MrNYFC

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 7, 2009
New York
www.vaporflow.com
This is interesting. Glycerin is added to so many products, many we don't even realize. I think brushing 2x/day and using mouthwash will solve this problem, as I do not believe plaque or calcium has any affinity to glycerin..therefore any bonds created would be very weak.

This question should be researched further.

rajeev70in

ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2009
I have been vaping for 3 months now. Since last 3 days I have very bad tooth ach on exact same tooth where I place cart.. I applied Orajel (that is oral pain reliever) in that area. Since then my lower lip in that are and inner mouth has been numb.
In last 2 months I have been experiencing regular tooth achs and after reading this thread, I have been thinking?

JohnandMe

ECF Veteran
Sep 29, 2009
Vancouver, WA
Okay, I had a filling break last week and went to the dentist. He's a small town dentist, but I trust his judgement and he is very honest. I asked him about PG and he was unsure how that would effect my gums vaping it, but did mention it's probably in my toothpaste. He didnt see what harm VG would do.

What he did go on and on about was what nicotine does to your gums - very bad. Constricts blood flow and causes problems like receding gums and stuff. He did ask me though "Why would you even care about the PG knowing how bad nicotine is for your gums?" and smiled. I found this to be very true. Here I am reading this post, freaking out about what the PG is doing to my gums when the obvious bad thing is the nicotine, that apparently is no concern to me. I laughed and he asked to see the electronic cig. Did a demonstration for him in his office too - but it was a short one because the side of my face was numb.

I've been vaping for 2 months and have not had any unusual problems with my gums (certainly not to say that others havent). I do have receding gums on one side of my mouth due to grinding my teeth on that side.

Last edited:
The wikipedia article is lax on the points referred to.

Glycerine would only kill bacteria through dehydration when it is itself dehydrated, which it quickly would not be by absorption from air and body fluids. Many bacteria, including e-coli, can happily make a meal of glycerine and produce the acidic by-products of that metabolism that are harmful to teeth.

I am not saying that vaping with VG would be bad for oral hygiene, only that it might be.

Last edited:

smokie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2009
Brooklyn, New York
www.youtube.com
I posted this is another thread, but feel it deserves more exposure, so here it is at the top.

I have just spent a lot of time reading about tooth regeneration, tooth looseness and causes of gum disease, and one of the things repeatedly warned against was glycerine, which is added to most toothpastes. Glycerine supposedly leaves a coating on the tooth and pushes away the gum line. I've been vaping for about 4 months, using PG based juice, and draw off of the right side of my mouth, now I notice that I have more recession of the gum line on those teeth right in line with the vapor during draw. Another thing brought up again and again is the drying out conditions in the mouth causing gum hygiene to suffer, and we all know that vaping does dehydrate you. As much as I hate to ask a counter productive question about vaping, "Is it attacking out teeth and gums, especially the VG base?" If so, is there methods to counteract whatever dings the vapor might inflict?

I know it's a bad time to be suggesting anything but the positive of vaping and health, but I had to ask this question. Bob

I have been vaping for 11 months, and have none of your problems.

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
The wikipedia article is lax on the points referred to.

Glycerine would only kill bacteria through dehydration when it is itself dehydrated, which it quickly would not be by absorption from air and body fluids. Many bacteria, including e-coli, can happily make a meal of glycerine and produce the acidic by-products of that metabolism that are harmful to teeth.

I am not saying that vaping with VG would be bad for oral hygiene, only that it might be.

Hey Kin! This is from Glycerol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia :

Topical pure or nearly pure glycerol is an effective treatment for psoriasis, burns, bites, cuts, rashes, bedsores, and calluses.[Needs footnote.] It can be used orally to eliminate halitosis, as it is a contact bacterial desiccant.[Needs footnote.] The same property makes it very helpful with periodontal disease; it penetrates biofilm quickly and eliminates bacterial colonies.

I'm not clear on the OP's actual vaping liquid, however. Seems to be asking about VG, but talks about vaping with PG.

I have had zero issues with vaping VG juices. In fact, I thought I had a loose molar or infected gum in the weeks before I started vaping, and was still smoking. Since vaping, and cutting down on analogs by about 90%, my mouth feels genuinely healed and healthier than it has in many years.

Of course, everyone is different, and perhaps some people have negative dental reactions to vaping, but perhaps there is a tendency to blame vaping on something that the smoking actually did in the weeks before vaping started, and the problem is too deep to go away on its own once the smoking is stopped or reduced.

Just my $0.02.

Glad you are here, Steel! There is also a current VG-only thread in this health forum, similar to this one, that could likely use your professional opinion in:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/health-safety-e-smoking/51574-vg-side-effects.html

booboo

ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2009
San Diego, CA
My teeth are a mess-- fillings falling out, teeth breaking off---getting a root canal next week. Is it related to vaping? Who knows? But I'd guess not, because I was a 2-3 can a day soda drinker for 25 years and still drink diet, so my teeth were xxxxx anyway. I am more worried about the extra suction going on pulling out my old filings than the glycerin--but for once the dentist didn't comment that my teeth were yellow and I smelled like an ashtray! That was nice. (oh, and they weren't worried about my gums either--first time they didn't say they were receding!)

Worutaa

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2009
A few days after I started vaping I had an area of my gum that got inflamed... pressed on it and it bled and a piece of something came out... looked/felt like maybe it was a popcorn kernel... at first I thought it might've been related.. but then I realized I had eaten a bag of popcorn a couple days before (was drunk, hate popcorn for that very reason).

My teeth feel cleaner. The whitening strips I use are actually showing a change (yes, in just a little over a week).

I had receding gums to begin with, smoking does that. Still too early to tell if they're getting any worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread