going on the patch, cutting down vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

smacksy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2014
Alexandria, Louisiana USA
I still think vaping's much safer than smoking but it's still not good for you. I'm going on the patch and cutting down vaping and my occasional cigarette.
Just be careful..my sister wanted to quit smoking and got on the patch..3 hrs later she was in in the ER with nicotine poisoning.. that was when she started vaping, about 6mos ago now and has remained tobacco free..the patch might work for some but it didn't work for my sister..

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Last edited:

veganvap

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
usa
  • Deleted by Dusty_D
  • Reason: Not advisable

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I still think vaping's much safer than smoking but it's still not good for you. I'm going on the patch and cutting down vaping and my occasional cigarette.

So, you're going to be vaping, smoking and using the patch? If your goal is to quit smoking, you'll probably just need to bite the bullet and give it up completely. Vaping helped me do that, but it was not easy for a while. I tried the patch and it didn't do anything for me.

OTOH, that's just me. Best of luck with it.

veganvap

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
usa
^ I have a cig like once a month, although I just got over the flu and needed some nicotine throughout it, I could not stand vaping, it's like that first vape of the day sometimes it's like razor blades or something, maybe it's the nicotine concentrate I use because even %100 VG flavorless is like that sometimes. But a few puffs from a cigarette and I was fine.

I would be very careful if I vape and use the patch. But now that I'm seeing the prices of the patch it's like $20 a week and I vape for like $2 a week. The patch boxes tell you like '21mg delivered over 24 hours', which I can easily emulate with just straight nicotine concentrate liquid, dilute it to 21mg and then one milliliter of it would be the daily 21 mg. But I think the patches have some sort of slow release agent. By the way, 21mg for step one (the higher dosage level) seems low because most smokers who turn to vaping vape 36, but even if it's 21mg they're vaping then this patch would be equal to them vaping only one milliliter a day which means a 30ml would last them a month which is like 4x longer than usual. In other words, you would think the patch says like 85mg delivered over 24 hours for the higher dosage step one before the dosage lowers for step two of three.

I might just up my nicotine way up to 36 and then just take a puff here and there like 10 puffs a day or something with good ole will power because I don't want to spend thousands of dollars on these over priced patches over time.

EDIT: just to make clear, although you can easily take liquid nicotine concentrate meant for vaping and figure out how many mg is per ml, I don't recommend anyone go trying to rub that into their skin to absorb like the patch. The patch might have a slow release agent or something and unlike vaping where you would have a warning sign after each puff it you're taking too much nicotine, by rubbing it into your skin, it would be too late if you applied too much. Nicotine is easily absorbed through skin.

Last edited:

Clark Kent

ECF Veteran
Jun 25, 2014
Metropolis Il.
I do not think thats a great idea, for myself when trying to quit smoking, patches were not only expensive but also left small rashes were I put them not to mention that they are time realeased and you can have some pretty weird dreams if you can find sleep at all. I like to change up my nicotine and devices through the day to get what I think I need. Early morning I start with mid-level nic in a rta and move up to a rda around lunch for the nic rush but after dinner I use 3- 6 mg. and 0nic before bed. I found that works pretty good for me. either way I hope you find a happy medium.

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
If you haven't tried it yet, you may want to consider just puffing without inhaling. Most of the nicotine is absorbed through the mouth tissues anyway, and for me it keeps my throat from getting that scratchy irritation. I do that during the cold months with some flavors. Without inhaling into your lungs, any potential harm is greatly reduced. Cutting back on flavoring levels will also help in keeping irritation down and make for an even healthier vape as well. Some vapers use unflavored liquid and keep down the cravings that way.

Good luck keeping off the Cigs!

Marcus1970

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 19, 2014
Wales
I do not think thats a great idea, for myself when trying to quit smoking, patches were not only expensive but also left small rashes were I put them not to mention that they are time realeased and you can have some pretty weird dreams if you can find sleep at all. I like to change up my nicotine and devices through the day to get what I think I need. Early morning I start with mid-level nic in a rta and move up to a rda around lunch for the nic rush but after dinner I use 3- 6 mg. and 0nic before bed. I found that works pretty good for me. either way I hope you find a happy medium.

Some crazy crazy dreams

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

You have to Do what You Think is Best. The Patch didn't work for me. But I hope it Works for you.

Because I Don't Really Care how someone tries to Quits Smoking (Except taking Chantix). As long as they Quit Smoking.

Best of Luck. And let us know how thing go.

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina
Several of the times I was on the patch, it definitely took away all urge for nicotine. However, it did not take away the addiction I feel I have for the hand to mouth satisfaction I receive from vaping. I have read many many comments on ecf how people continued to reduce their nic and eventually vaped 0mg nic juice and was very satisfied. Which ever way works the best for you (which only you know), I wish you well and know that you will reach your goal. I would however, suggest that you keep vaping supplies and gear for a while because it would be a lot better to fall back on vaping than it would be to pick back up smoking. Good luck to you and I wish you the best. Please let us know how you are doing because your success could very well help others who have similar goals.

CajunCloud

Verified Member
Nov 26, 2014
In da swamps, LA, USA
You are just substituting one transfer path to another to get the same thing. Good luck, hope the dreams don't mess with you. I've managed to go from a little over a pack a day to none and down to 0-3mg with some occasional 6 and will stop the 6 soon and go down to 0 all the time. Make vaping a pleasure things at the computer or while driving and leave it at that. Cig free and nic free. I won't sweat the PG VG and flavorings. The air you breath in most cities is worse for you.

GOOD LUCK!!!

CC

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
^ I have a cig like once a month, although I just got over the flu and needed some nicotine throughout it, I could not stand vaping, it's like that first vape of the day sometimes it's like razor blades or something, maybe it's the nicotine concentrate I use because even %100 VG flavorless is like that sometimes. But a few puffs from a cigarette and I was fine.

IMO one cig a month is not smoking enough for it to be addictive. I didn't know you were smoking so few veganvap. OTOH, what makes you think what you need is just the nicotine? Cigarettes have much more than just nic in them and IMO some of those other chemicals are much more important to the cigarette addiction than nic is.

I would be very careful if I vape and use the patch. But now that I'm seeing the prices of the patch it's like $20 a week and I vape for like $2 a week. The patch boxes tell you like '21mg delivered over 24 hours', which I can easily emulate with just straight nicotine concentrate liquid, dilute it to 21mg and then one milliliter of it would be the daily 21 mg. But I think the patches have some sort of slow release agent. By the way, 21mg for step one (the higher dosage level) seems low because most smokers who turn to vaping vape 36, but even if it's 21mg they're vaping then this patch would be equal to them vaping only one milliliter a day which means a 30ml would last them a month which is like 4x longer than usual. In other words, you would think the patch says like 85mg delivered over 24 hours for the higher dosage step one before the dosage lowers for step two of three.

'21mg delivered over 24 hours' from the patch is not the same as 21 mg of nicotine in liquid that you vape, so be careful how you coordinate your delivery methods. IMO most smokers who turn to vaping use around 18 mg to start with, not 36 mg. Plus there are the other chemicals in this equation that have an effect on your dopamine levels and your limbic system. Smoking pumps more nic into your system way faster than vaping does and also has all the other stuff that vaping doesn't.

I might just up my nicotine way up to 36 and then just take a puff here and there like 10 puffs a day or something with good ole will power because I don't want to spend thousands of dollars on these over priced patches over time.

This is certainly worth a try. I've sometimes wondered about how the high nic vaping path would work for people and thought it was probably a very valid way to get off cigarettes, specially at the beginning. We're all different and what works for one of us will not necessarily work for another person. Keep in mind that not many people have tried that, so you're pretty much in new territory here.

I wish you the best of luck with this and please let us know how it goes for you :)

veganvap

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
usa
"IMO one cig a month is not smoking enough for it to be addictive. I didn't know you were smoking so few veganvap. OTOH, what makes you think what you need is just the nicotine? Cigarettes have much more than just nic in them and IMO some of those other chemicals are much more important to the cigarette addiction than nic is."

True but I smoke organic zero additive tobacco. Maybe I should get some caffeine as a stimulant to lessen nicotine cravings because I haven't had caffeine in like 2 years. I have read nicotine is worse than caffeine but I'm not certain. Either way, I just want to stop inhaling stuff but have had nicotine for like 20 years. But the patches aren't cheap and I don't want crazy patch dreams so I think I'll just try and cut down on the puff counter by raising the nic level and not inhaling a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread