good-bye analogs... hello depression

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharityRoyal

ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2012
Michigan
I know this has been posted many times before, but I'm a newb (restricted to this forum) and thought I'd post anyway. For moral support if nothing else.

So-- I've been off analogs for two weeks. I've quit cold turkey many times in the past... one of the things that kept pulling me back in was horrible depression and anxiety that came with withdrawal. vaping has eliminated most the nasty withdrawal symptoms, including the crippling anxiety. But not depression. I assume this is MAO-I related... and I've thought about using Snus or something of the like to supplement my ecigs... but I've decided it's probably smarter to just let this depression run its course. It's got to go away eventually right?

It's funny, I don't even want a normal cig (don't like the taste or experience much anymore)--- but sometimes I'm tempted to buy a pack just to alleviate symptoms. You know, like smoking an analog the way you choke down nasty tasting cough syrup to alleviate a cough. But this sucks. At least now when I refuse to leave my bed I can still get nicotine. sigh.

wish me luck.

brandontrjn

ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2011
Tampa!
The depression is likely an underlying condition that was alleviated by smoking (degree in psychology talking). You should see a physician and get some mild meds that will "more healthily" decrease the symptoms. Withdraw symptoms are usually irritability, not depression.

If you are suffering from legitimate depression it is more likely to be a long-term problem. There isn't any point in laying in bed all day unable to do anything when an inexpensive prescription can alleviate the symptoms with little or no side effects.

Welcome to ECF!

Suncruiser

Sep 23, 2011
northeast
One of the reasons I was never successful with quitting cigs was mainly due to feeling depressed and a feeling of hopelessness - that feeling occurred with cold turkey and with nicotine patch and nicotine gum. I hated that feeling and always caved and went and bought a pack ..... instant happiness. BUT, I did not experience that feeling when I switched to vaping and is definitely the reason I was able to quit so easily. I would say if you don't feel better soon you may want to check with your doc to see about getting a prescription for something to help ease you through this.
Good luck and hope you're feeling better.

dotma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2011
Spokane, WA
I thought there was a substance in cigarettes that boosted your dopamine level? I could be totally off base but i thought so. And it is not the nicotine so i dont think snus would really help you out. I think you should either: 1. Like a previous poster said, maybe go see a doctor and get some medication that might help. 2. Ride it out and eventually your brain will rewire itself to not need that extra boost from all those chemicals in the regular cigarette and things should hopefully improve.

Good luck!

tricci

ECF Veteran
May 7, 2011
Philadelphia
I went through depression after quitting analogs. It lasted for several weeks, but it did go away. Here are a couple of suggestions:

1. Hang in there and let it run its course.

2. Try WTA (Whole Tobacco Alkaloid E liquid), there are other things in addition to nicotine that produce the feeling of well-being.

3. There may be underlying causes, talk to a professional.

Hang in there.

Huffelpuff

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2011
Philadelphia Burbs
I agree that it's an underlying condition and may lessen a bit over time. It took me a few months off of the analogs to sort of "rebalance." I can still tilt in that direction but have developed some mechanisms to cope when I feel that way.

What has helped me a bit is being a part of the forum and giving/receiving support here. The interation on days when you are not out and about helps a lot and helping others out w/ what little knowledge I've accumulated is my new home made antidepressant.

Everybody has a different reaction to putting down the analogs and mine was severe. I smoked for 25 years and it was my means of dealing with any problems. Suddenly that was not an option and did really leave a void. I think it's not uncommon if you've smoked for a long time to go through some changes but the reward is worth it.

Good Luck and try to list all of the positives that come from being smoke free. For me, every time I get into my car that is clean and smells like air freshener (not nasty smoke) it reminds me of why I started on this hobby,

CharityRoyal

ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2012
Michigan
Thanks all--- and tricci and jdrewry: it's reassuring as hell to hear of people who got through the rough period. thanks for sharing.

The nicotine level doesn't seem to be the problem. I was smoking a half pack a day for the last five years (only off an on before then-- before I was fully addicted). Now I vape a lot more than I smoked. I was vaping 16mg but switched down to 12 because I liked the activity so much that I was taking in enough nicotine to make myself feel sick.

According to my research, MAOinhibitors in analogs are what give you that dopamine hit. I didn't know about WTA liquid (which I'm betting would have the MAOI in it)-- I'll start my research on that. I'm a little reluctant-- I don't want to just defer an inevitable bout of depression just to have to start this process all over again. But perhaps WTA juice would help me slowly taper off. Tricci do have have first hand experience with that? I'll start reading up on it.

For the record, yeah there may well be an underlying issue. I'm prone to depression, but I haven't had a bout like this since last time I quit (using nic lozenges). There's definitely *some* connection to the cigs here. I've done meds in the past, but I wouldn't consider using them again unless the depression sticks around for a couple months. SSRI's have far worse withdrawal symptoms than cigs if you ask me, not to mention all the other very very unsavory stuff that goes along with meds.

Thanks, also, for the exercise and water recommendation-- one of those things I knew but completely forgot about until reading the reminder.

So-- WTA, water, exercise, patience, and a little optimism. I can do this, damn it!

TheSneakerHoarder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2012
DFW
If you're going through the depression while vaping, after having just stopped with the analogs--hold fast. Vape a little more, drink a little more water. I found that if I vaped more during that depression cycle, I could get through it. "Just one more day", I thought.
I did.

SO_MUCH_THIS!!!!!Keep_on_pulling_yourself_up_every_day...Not_to_mention_this_great_community.

CPT.SPALDING

ECF Veteran
Nov 1, 2011
WINNIPEG,MB.CANADA
Hang in there!
When i first switched to vaping,i was depressed as well.I really enjoyed smoking and the thought of quitting to me was like thinking about losing a loved one.The mental aspect of it can be even harder than the nic addiction.After a while you just have to let go and realise that smoking is horrible!

vape on!!!!

Nikkita6

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2011
New York
I was not aware that depression was associated with the cessation of smoking, and I am sorry to hear you are having such a rough time with this, considering your choice to make a step in a positive direction.

Instead of looking to snus, or the likes to help with the depression, I think a radical change in how you live your life on a whole would be a better, long term solution to what you are going through.

Depression is sign that something is lacking in the quality of your life ... this may be a call to develop some sound personal interests or hobbies, perhaps a change in career .... to create a more fulfilling life period. Self Fulfillment is the only long term and permanent answer to Depression.

Serianna

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2012
San Diego
I too suffered from depression after quitting analogs. It DOES go away, as long as it is not an underlying condition. I still suffer from anxiety, but that is more situational than anything else, (dealing with obnoxious family members, or ex family members, earthquakes, taking care of ill family members ETC.) I can tell you Vaping DOES help with anxiety, I used to need to pop between 6 and 8 xanex every day, but now I use maybe one every few months. I will keep you in my thoughts and hope you stick with this and get over the depression quickly. I know how hard it can be.

kabonk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2010
NW Detroit Burbs
I'm sorry you're going through depression maybe a nice long walk or a little extra exercise will help you feel better maybe some niacin (the non flushing kind) or B vitamins, its funny how smoking effects us all differently I felt euphoric sort of giddy the week after I quit which is kind of strange for me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread