good-bye analogs... hello depression

Status
Not open for further replies.

malyden

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2008
OH
If the depression doesn't start getting better in a couple of weeks and you don't want to go the pill route I do recommend snus especially for those bad days. I too have found the forum to be a great place for support and uplifting of ones spirit.
I for one have fought with depression for a very long time and it is not always something that can be overcome easily. I take meds, vape and still smoke (although I have cut back from almost 2 PAD to less than 1). Exercise and sunlight help but for those with true depression there will always be days when you feel in total despair just remember there are people that care about you (you may not even realize it but they are there) come to the forum, read some posts and post something.

Best of luck on your journey!

Paradox28

ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2012
Richmond, KY
I'm one who has been diagnosed with GAD and some very mild depression. Cigarettes were my "safey safe". If I was having an attack of some kind, I would HAVE to smoke and all would be good again. Some spells I would have to chain smoke 3 or 4 cigarettes because the adrenaline was just ridiculous.

You just gotta hang in there and keep yourself going..thats the most important thing. When it was at its worse, I just wanted to lay, sleep, lay, sleep and do nothing in between. I had to fight myself to do something, anything...and luckily golf became my peace. You need to find your "golf".

hairball

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
Other Places
Get a hold of Ethan at Vapelicious | Whole Tobacco Alkaloid Liquid for Electronic Cigarettes. Place an order for X-High WTA juice. I use it when I have those days when nothing seems to go right and stress affects me in the worse way. I suffer from depression also and refuse to take any type of drugs but the WTA helps me when, like you, I don't even want to get out of bed.

CharityRoyal

ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2012
Michigan
Hairball, I found vapelicious, but haven't ordered anything yet. I'm curious, are you able to use WTA just occasionally? I'm afraid if I use it, especially a high dose like you recommend, that I'll just prolong a dependency on it. Are you able to use it just for "those days"?

That said my career is one of those that has its periodic moments of extreme stress, and I've always been like Paradox98 in that way (worse actually). A big deadline = chain smoking. Next crazy deadline is in 3 weeks, and it's a no brainer that the WTA would be better than analogs as far as dependency goes.

CW1982

Jan 31, 2012
South Carolina
Totally normal dude, I've gone a couple of days cold turkey and remember thinking what's the point of living a long healthy life if I feel like this. I've never considered myself a depressed person either... until I went 1.5days with no nicotine. A couple of times I swear I was running a fever too. Never bothered to take my temp but it sure felt like it.

space0matic

ECF Veteran
Dec 21, 2011
Detroit, Michigan
CharityRoyal said:
SSRI's have far worse withdrawal symptoms than cigs if you ask me, not to mention all the other very very unsavory stuff that goes along with me
You are so very correct! As one who was misdiagnosed with depression by my General Practitioner, and given SSRI's for several months before I was found to have thyroid issues instead, you could not have said it better.
If the 'quitting blues' persists, (that's what me and my friends call it) for more than several weeks - that's when it usually goes away, I would then consider using the WTA by this method: have one carto dedicated for the WTA. Use it sparingly for the rough times if you are afraid to use them continuously.
You are on the right track, and you are certainly not alone.

Island Vapor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I went through this as well and still do.I went to Whole Tobacco Alkaloid E liquid, upped my Nic level and made sure I got out every day for at least several hours if I was not working.I was able to drop my nic level.I have a batch of e juice with higher nic and whole tobacco alkaloid e liquid ready in case I feel really stress or a low day.It does happed a lot lees then when I first started vaping but it worked for me to just monitor my mood and keep active.Hang in their their are a lot of very helpful people on this form and I am glad you reached out and asked for help.Have an awesome weekend

Last edited:

kumquat

ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2011
USA
Depression is sign that something is lacking in the quality of your life ...

LOL, no, Nikita, Depression is a disease which kills more people a year than all combined smoking related illnesses do. It's a very serious medical condition which more often than not, especially in the cases of Major Depressive Disorder, end in suicide. It's not about having a career or marriage or children or friendship or whatever lacking from one's life. And more than half of the people who start smoking and stick with it to the point that it becomes a years long habit suffer from mental illness which includes Depression because the MAOIs inherent to tobacco manage the symptoms of that illness much better than any synthetic they've come up with yet. I hope you'll choose to become less ignorant on this is issue (and any others) before offering bad advice on it again.

nansc

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2011
New Hampshire
I too experienced this,do yourself a favor and get to a doctor.They can help you out pretty quickly.I know you don't feel like going,but trust me it is worth it.Keep your chin up it will get better.I also agree with odessysteve about the B12 vitamins.I experienced a real bad depression after a surgery I had and the B12 really helps ,but I would still go to the doctor.IMO

Last edited:

vap0rz

Feb 3, 2012
Oregon
I'm sorry for your pain. I'm not a doctor, but I firmly believe that it's better the devil you know than the devil you don't. If tobacco kept your condition from presenting itself, I don't see a reason to replace the cure with some crazy big pharma solution that changes your brain chemistry in unknown ways.

What I would do if e-cigs did not alleviate the depression, and it turned out to be a long-term condition, would be to vape real tobacco (preferably all-natural) in something like an iolite.

CharityRoyal

ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2012
Michigan
Update: Well, it's been a month since I started vaping, and three full weeks since I've had an analog. So I've stuck with it, despite the negatives-- and that's something to be proud of! That also means three weeks of depression--but I hope it's finally dissipating. Today and yesterday have been good--- I'm up and out of bed where I'd been lying like a coma patient. Let's hope the worst is over.

I'm going to keep waiting this out in any case (no pharmaceuticals). I contacted Vapelicious to get some WTA liquid, but haven't heard back-- looks like Ethan's really backordered. Vap0rz-- thanks for the great suggestion-- I didn't know that was an option. I'll look into an iolite, especially if I can't get ahold of WTA anywhere. I want to have something on hand in case this gets too ugly or I have a relapse when my career deadlines get too stressful.

I totally forgot about B12! I had B12 shots ages ago to treat lethargy. All it really did was boost my energy level a little...but when climbing out of the me shaped indentation on my bed/sofa feels like some massive athletic feat, well a little energy boost is a big deal. haha. It's faaaar from a cure of course, but it certainly can't hurt to take some extra vitamins. I'll take one right now.

Again, I can't thank you all enough for the outpouring of support. I feel like I have a big group of people rooting for me to get through this and it's pretty awesome.

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
It's good to hear you're beginning to feel better and are armed with good info to help pave your road towards a more energetic and happier life once again. Not only is this important for a more fullfilling today, but it's so important, like you mentioned, to arm yourself for the stresses of tomorrow. I wasn't armed, and am about to make an appt with the doc for a pill or two to help me until the B12 kicks in steadily. Last week I lost both my brother and my beautiful mare on the same day, for different reasons. Sometimes life hands us real doozys to cope with and it's very important to be as healthy as we can be at all times in order to handle anything life wants to shove at us. (life sometimes thinks I'm atlas or Xena). Take care and please keep us posted on how well you're doing and to help the rest of us climb out of those dark lethargic holes without having to rely on the old safety blanket of old. (yeh, went through 3 cartons this week after not smoking for how long???).

ambition

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2012
Australia
OP

I haven't read the entire thread, just your comments.

Depression is a tricky thing which I'm sure you know already. I've suffered depression most of my adult life but only recently realised that that's what I had. So it's a good thing that you recognise that you have it.
Again as you already know, depression has an underlying cause and that cause is not dealt with by using medications, it's only hidden away to get you at a later time.

One thing that helped me was making myself very busy, and I also tried CBT and hypnosis which works wonders for some people, for me it helped me to start thinking about things in a different way which helped alot.

Regular and intense exercise for me was probably the most powerful tool for beating depression and in the last 12 months of vaping (I was smoking a couple of analogs a day for the last year until a couple of weeks ago down from 30 a day before that) I have seen my fitness improve beyond belief and it feels great and really beats those blues.

Do you exercise much?

Laughter is also a great medicine and your comment about having a great big bunch of people rooting for you made me laugh out loud as it has an entirely different meaning here in Australia. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread