Gripper Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GIMike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 15, 2009
Around OKC, OK
Got my gripper in on Friday night, and got batteries for it from my local vape shop on Saturday. Everybody that worked in the shop had to try it before I even got a chance to. None of them had seen it. Once I got to try it though, I will say that it works great! I'm very happy with it. Using my 6.5 ml DCT with a smoktech carto, haven't had any issues. For the price, it'll be hard to beat.

Rader2146

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2012
Waco, TX
Equipment:
  • VV Gripper
  • Panasonic CGR18650CH Battery (10A capable)
  • Fluke 77IV Digital Multimeter
  • 1.5ohm Smoketech Dual Coil Carto
  • 2.2ohm Boge Single Coil Carto
  • 2.8ohm Boge Single Coil Carto
  • Inline Test Adapter:
59d9b489.jpg

All measurements were taken at approximately 5 seconds on time after the voltage had steadied. Error tolerance approximately +/- .05V due to voltage oscillation.

Full Charge Battery Input Voltage:
1.%20Full%20Charge%20Chart.jpg

Half Charge Battery Input Voltage:
2.%20Half%20Charge%20Chart.jpg

Full Charge Voltage Graph:
3.%20Voltage%20Bar%20Graph.jpg

Full Charge Amps:

4.%20Amps%20Graph.jpg

Full Charge Watts:

5.%20Watts%20Graph.jpg

Full Charge vs Half Charge with 1.5ohm Dual Coil Carto
6.%20Full%20vs%20Mid%201.5.jpg

Full Charge vs Half Charge with 2.2ohm Single Coil Carto
7.%20Full%20vs%20Mid%202.2.jpg

Full Charge vs Half Charge with 2.8ohm Single Coil Carto
8.%20Full%20vs%20Mid%202.8.jpg

Summary:
The VV Gripper is well regulated and capable of consistently delivering between 4 and 10 watts throughout the tested battery drain cycle. This will more than satisfy the vast majority of vapers. It does not hold up to its advertised 4 amp limit in any condition that I could test, and the max amps vary depending on the resistance. At the higher voltages where the "limit" starts to level off the voltage, the "limit" does not seem to follow any set values within the scope of this test. The closest thing that I could call a loosely defined limit is approximately 12.5 watts with variance depending on resistance.

Spreadsheet and Charts here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yj0sdmp7cc4q7gn/ZWl_lx887-/Gripper/Gripper Review.xlsx

Rader2146

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2012
Waco, TX
Alright, just watched PB's review and now that I know it is a raw square wave PWM I can adjust the watts chart to account for RMS voltage. This will reflect the "hits harder at lower voltage" phenomenon that these PWM devices have.

Edit: Done. That's quite a bit difference. Hats off to Rocketman for pointing out the RMS factor.

9.%20Watts%20%40%20V%28rms%29%20Graph.jpg

Last edited:

Orobas

Equine Disrespect
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2012
Jarhead City

txtumbleweed

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Walla Walla
Spare Batteries anyone? Type search imr 18650 on ebay, there is a lot of five imr 18650 for $10.99. I purchased these, received 4 1600 Mah reds and an AW 18650 2000Mah. Charged them, and seem to be just fine, all worked and are at 4.2v after charge. View attachment 126994

Wow!~ What a great buy!

Rader2146

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2012
Waco, TX
I would be hesitant to call those genuine AW, or even IMR. Hard to tell from the pic, but it looks like at least a few of them have a large button where a genuine AW has a small button.

Genuine AW on the right in this pic from SuperT:
FakeIMR2.jpg

If there is any reason to doubt, I would not use them. You could possibly be playing with unprotected ICR batteries.

txtumbleweed

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Walla Walla
Anything could be a fake, but they appear to be IMR's, and The one that is tagged AW appears to be one. Just thought I would pass along, to those of us who do not want to spend much on batteries if we don't have to. View attachment 127033

Hey I wouldn't worry about them at that price and they work. I bought six panny batteries in a co-op and they were customized so ended up a fraction longer than regular Panasonic's and they don't fit in the Gripper properly. They fit but the door doesn't close good so I'm afraid to use them much because if the batt door breaks the Gripper would be useless. I would have been better off with your deal.

Modnar

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2012
Denmark
www.octopusecig.com
Anything could be a fake, but they appear to be IMR's, and The one that is tagged AW appears to be one. Just thought I would pass along, to those of us who do not want to spend much on batteries if we don't have to. View attachment 127033

4 out of 5 of those are fake, the 1 on the left looks genuine (AW dont make flattop batteries)

If there is any reason to doubt, I would not use them. You could possibly be playing with unprotected ICR batteries.

I am no battery expert, but I have noticed many vendors are selling these with the option to purchase ICR batteries and charger as a kit.

If the device has built in protection then why would ICR's be so bad.
Sure double protection would be better, but I aint wearing 2 condoms either....lol

Last edited:

Rader2146

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2012
Waco, TX
The amperage at the battery is going to stress an ICR much more than a high drain battery. ICRs will work but it takes a toll on the batteries. Depending on the efficiency of the regulator, amp drain at the battery could be over 5 amps for the high watts crowd. If they are using a 2400mAh battery then they would be over the usual recommended 2C discharge rate for ICRs.

Also, due to length restrictions, if an ICR can fit in the VV Gripper chances are it is and unprotected battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread