Status
Not open for further replies.

MickeyRat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2011
Hickory, NC
I wanted one of these, but decided to settle on the 6amp beast from smoktek. Since the voltage was off I figured it didn't really matter to have a screen anyways. Not to mention I have enough 3 amp devices.
Maybe in the next version when they get things right I will pick one up. I really liked the idea and form, but the other issues were the deal breaker for me.

That smoketek's a good value and I agree with you on the meter for voltage. I think numbers for that are foolish but, ohms and battery life are useful if you're into RBAs.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
I kind of need a screen, myself (It's an OCD thing). I do have one very small, $15 device , that I use (I call it "L'il Gripper") - but only for the "stealthiest" of occasions. That being said, I don't think the Beast is a bad investment at all. Whatever gets you through the day... (to paraphrase Mr. Lennon).

Rader2146

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2012
Waco, TX

Cjax

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2012
RVa USA
For those that don't want to DIY on the transplant, I think Shan B could make a cool mod for ya with the guts of the gripper.
Custom graphics would give it a personal touch also as she has some really killer skillz :)

I really wanted a vv box mod with an ohms reader for rba's. I emailed her to see if she could make one. no response yet though. didn't think to ask about transplanting gripper guts, though. that's a good idea. her stuff is gorgeous.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
it's such a shame the build quality on this thing is so poor. as far as i know it's the only box mod with those features. If only provape made a box mod!

And therein, as they say, lies The Rub.

And if they (ProVape) did, I'm pretty confident that it wouldn't cost fifty-bucks.

Zurd

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2010
Montréal
Got my Gripper today, been using it for only 6h, I really like it up to now ! Quite lightweight, nice size, I so like the finish painting on it, rubber-like. Like someone said, a 3 finger grooves will be better than the 4 it has. My Panasonic GCR batteries flat-top fits perfectly well, however my AW 3100 mAh does not, too long but just barely. I also have an IMR 18650 1500 mAh which is too small.

I can confirm that the overall unit is made of cheap plastic, a drop of only 1 meter will break this thing, but aside from this, it's pretty good and at a great price!

MickeyRat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2011
Hickory, NC
Here's the two enclosures that I'm looking to transplant into...

Aluminum Box Enclosure Case -3.93"*2.08"*0.98"(L*W*H) freeshipping | eBay

or

NEW DIY Aluminum Project Enclosure Box Electronic case 27x62x110mm | eBay

I might just buy both to hold in my hand to decide which one I like best and use the other for something else.

Here are some other possibilities. You might have a tough time getting things where they need to go in the boxes you posted.

it's such a shame the build quality on this thing is so poor. as far as i know it's the only box mod with those features. If only provape made a box mod!

They'd screw it up with that one button menu system. That's the reason I don't own and am not interested in a Provari.

johnlacie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2011
-
Got my Gripper today, been using it for only 6h, I really like it up to now ! Quite lightweight, nice size, I so like the finish painting on it, rubber-like. Like someone said, a 3 finger grooves will be better than the 4 it has. My Panasonic GCR batteries flat-top fits perfectly well, however my AW 3100 mAh does not, too long but just barely. I also have an IMR 18650 1500 mAh which is too small.

I can confirm that the overall unit is made of cheap plastic, a drop of only 1 meter will break this thing, but aside from this, it's pretty good and at a great price!

Maybe something like these would have been better...

badinfluence357

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 17, 2012
NYC
don't let the cheep plastic fool you the gripper has a bad ... PCB...I had a vmax made of ss and that didn't do it anygood...I quickly learned that a PV is like a car, its what's under the Hood that matters...lol

Now the gripper took every Atty I put on it, as long as the omhs were 1.3 and above that lily box rocks and its still rocking a did set @ 1.3 omhs.. I love it!

Last edited:

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
don't let the cheep plastic fool you the gripper has a bad ... PCB...I had a zmax made of ss and that didn't do it any good...I quickly learned that a PV is like a car, its what's under the Hood that matters...lol

The vulnerability of the plastic case (especially the battery door) hasn't kept me from buying one, but the overall design has. I like VV box mods, and that size is great for me, but I'm left-handed (the Gripper VV is technically designed as a right-handed mod), the button placement on top isn't to my liking, and the four finger grooves (rather than three or none) are clearly wrong for American-size male hands. None of those are deal-breakers, but together they've kept me from adding a Gripper to my VV arsenal. I might still pull the trigger at some point---especially if the price keeps coming down---but so far, no.

Zurd

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2010
Montréal
but I'm left-handed (the Gripper VV is technically designed as a right-handed mod)

I don't get it, I use the Gripper with both hands (just one at a time) and there's no problem with either. When using it with my left hand, of course the screen in the palm of my hand when I vape, but I don't consider this an issue.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
Me three. Either hand, three fingers on with pinkie . Not much thought, very comfortable - very maneuverable.

IMAG0296.jpg IMAG0297.jpg

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
Hi - just got my 1st gripper. Overall, I'm happy with it. It does have a very wobbly 510 connection. I've seen others say the same about theirs. For those that have a wobbly one

1. Did you try to return it for one w/o the problem
2. Did you come up with any kind of 'fix'
3. Did you just accept it as is.

Mine is loose enough you can actually 'hear' it rattle when giving it a light shake. Seems it's liable to rattle something loose later on with use.

Thanks for your feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread