Status
Not open for further replies.

Shel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 23, 2009
Los Angeles
I was really peeved when it happened, but I've calmed down now. If anything, it's probably a good thing because I'm not thrilled with the button placement anyhow.

It's a shame, though. The feel of the mod is really nice. I like the gripper part of it, and the rubberized coating feels nice.

Dirgon
Sorry to hear your Gripper battery door problems.

I've had my Gripper for a couple of weeks now, and so far, really like it. I like the size (easier to carry in my shirt pocket then my previous ProVari or Lava Tube), like the soft finish paint, and battery life is excellent. I went to a local amusement park, left the house at 9am, was there all day (with a spare battery), and on the way home, past 11pm, the battery finally gave up. I'd been vapping all day long at the park.

The battery door DOES seem like it's a potential problem area!! Otherwise, I like the size, the fact it displays the ohms and remaining battery life... I really like this device more then I thought I would!

Of my (remaining) three variable voltage mods, it's been seeing the most use recently.

txtumbleweed

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Walla Walla
Dirgon
Sorry to hear your Gripper battery door problems.

I've had my Gripper for a couple of weeks now, and so far, really like it. I like the size (easier to carry in my shirt pocket then my previous ProVari or Lava Tube), like the soft finish paint, and battery life is excellent. I went to a local amusement park, left the house at 9am, was there all day (with a spare battery), and on the way home, past 11pm, the battery finally gave up. I'd been vapping all day long at the park.

The battery door DOES seem like it's a potential problem area!! Otherwise, I like the size, the fact it displays the ohms and remaining battery life... I really like this device more then I thought I would!

Of my (remaining) three variable voltage mods, it's been seeing the most use recently.

I too have been using the Gripper much more than any of my other VV devices. It is much more handy and great battery life makes it the mod I grab when I go out the door.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
Well DP how do you like it?

Oh my, I thought I posted a follow-up here, but it was apparently in a different thread. I love it. Performance wise, it misses absolutely nothing. It's the size & weight I was hoping for, with all the functionality and performance of my (dare I say it?) ProVari's.
YES, I SAID IT!
(OH NO, HE DIH'NT!)
OH YES, I DID!!!

Now, as I stated in the other thread, I certainly wouldn't recommend throwing it against a wall (or anything of that nature), but I couldn't possibly be more pleased with the purchase. I've never dropped a ProVari and I don't expect to be dropping this VV Gripper. If it happens, I'll live with the results. It was, after all, my decision to buy & try it.

BUT (knocking on my bald head) I won't drop it.

And I thank many of you, particularly YOU, txtumbleweed, for the input I desired prior to pulling that trigger. I'm not kidding, if I broke it tomorrow, I'd still be glad I got it. It's GREAT to know that there's something out there, at a good price point, that will perform better than my old L-Rider/Lavatube/Lambo/Rambo/L-Diddy/Puff-Vapey/WHATEVER-OTHER-NAMES-THAT-DAM-THING-HAS.

:toast:

MickeyRat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2011
Hickory, NC
Personally, I really like my Gripper. I use IMRs either AWs or Pannies in it. So far, the battery door is holding up. Don't care for the clicky switch. If I could figure out how to get in there without destroying it, I'd look at replacing that switch and put some epoxy putty around the 510 connector. It could use a drip cup. I've been using rebuildables on mine so that's not a big issue. I no longer believe the stated 4 amp specification. The thing is this is a cheap mod. You don't expect perfection. It packs in a lot for the price.

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
Mickey - I think it's a good value mod that could benefit from a few changes in a revised version. The clicky button, as you mentioned needs to go. It seems the battery door is iffy. Maybe some have been using slightly longer batteries that contribute to some breakage. It probably wouldn't hurt if it were beefed up a little. The 4 finger grooves don't seem to work for most folks. It's a little awkward and the pinkey finger seems to naturally go underneath the mod. Some potential buyers have questioned the button position. I think it is just fine. I know molds take some effort to create, but I do hope a revised Gripper is in the works.

I see that MadVapes is now offering an 808 model Gripper, but not with the $10 off sale price.

I can build a decent mod with performance and size in the realm of the Gripper, but not with the Ohmmetering...in that price range and effort. With the revisions above and at ~$50, I could see myself tempted by both and 808 and 510 model Gripper.

Rader2146

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2012
Waco, TX
Well, my gripper is nearing it's death. It's been dropped a fee times and the case has separated, but it's still holding on. One of the tabs that holds tha battery door closed has broken off from the drops. The button is intermittent about 10% of the time.

I love the electronics, but as most all of us have come to realize, the case is the weak link. I'm searching for an enclosure to transplant the guts into and already have a switch picked out.

GIMike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 15, 2009
Around OKC, OK
Well, my gripper is nearing it's death. It's been dropped a fee times and the case has separated, but it's still holding on. One of the tabs that holds tha battery door closed has broken off from the drops. The button is intermittent about 10% of the time.

I love the electronics, but as most all of us have come to realize, the case is the weak link. I'm searching for an enclosure to transplant the guts into and already have a switch picked out.

Let us know when you get something picked out and fixed up :)

I wanted one of these, but decided to settle on the 6amp beast from smoktek. Since the voltage was off I figured it didn't really matter to have a screen anyways. Not to mention I have enough 3 amp devices.
Maybe in the next version when they get things right I will pick one up. I really liked the idea and form, but the other issues were the deal breaker for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread