Has anybody seen this garbage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonmo1

ECF Veteran
Apr 26, 2010
Bryan, TX
The title of the article is misleading...

They didn't ban ecigs.
They only got 1 ecig vendor to stop selling in oregon.
On the technicality that they claimed they were safe.
And propeganda of marketing to kids.
At the end of the video, it said there was another vendor selling at the mall kiosk.

The lesson here is to make sure no vendor claims 100% safety, just safer than regular cigs.

I also love the dude's claim that if it's a watermelon flavor, then it's marketing to kids.
What a load of crap.
Ever heard of Watermelon flavored Schnapps? Want to ban Alchohol...again?

radicaljd

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 16, 2010
San Antonio, Texas
No vendor can or should market an e-cig product by claiming it is "safe." That simply has not been established, and probably will not be established. But banning their sale is extreme overkill. Vendors should always provide a disclaimer stating that safety of e-cigs has not been established. Period.

Additionally, it would certainly not be unreasonable too make sellers of e-cigs take all reasonable steps to ensure that kids cannot purchase them. The operative word is "reasonable." It would be impossible to guarantee that a minor can't get their hands on e-cig products if sold online. However, the same is true about other products, such as wines and beers, which are sold online.

RadicalJD

HeatherC

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2010
New York
The title of the article is misleading...

They didn't ban ecigs.
They only got 1 ecig vendor to stop selling in oregon.
On the technicality that they claimed they were safe.
And propeganda of marketing to kids.
At the end of the video, it said there was another vendor selling at the mall kiosk.

The lesson here is to make sure no vendor claims 100% safety, just safer than regular cigs.

I also love the dude's claim that if it's a watermelon flavor, then it's marketing to kids.
What a load of crap.
Ever heard of Watermelon flavored Schnapps? Want to ban Alchohol...again?
I agree. It's like they forgot that adults have taste buds and like sweet things too :D

Its all about the money. Big tobacco makes billions of dollars for the US government in way of taxes. You think the government is going to let that go? Not a chance. They WANT people to keep smoking. They will do everything in their power to make sure e-cigs don't catch on. They want to keep making that money. Its like if someone ever developed a product that would eliminate the need for oil. It wont happen because the government wont let it happen. They want to keep making that money.

Ever see those anti smoking ads that advertise "Shards of Glass"? There should be a follow up to that commercial were people are eating jelly beans in place of the shards of glass. And the government steps in and says "Those jelly beans are not safe! Please keep eating the shards of glass"

Wonderful world we live in huh?

sofocused978

ECF Veteran
Jul 16, 2010
Boston
Both tobacco and alcohol are big money makers for the feds and states. Like has already been said they don't want people to quit smoking and stop paying those heavy taxes imposed on every pack a person buys or to bypass taking the million other smoking cessation products, nicotine gums, pills, etc, etc. Same with alcohol, they scream DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE but deep down they want you to. Why? Because aside from property taxes, towns/cities make most of revenue from DUI's. Not to mention population control since these items guarantee death. Gotta love it.

5cardstud

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2010
Wash
I agree with HeatherC, NO MORE TEENAGERS. People need to be born as adults. No more going through diaper, buying toys, puberty and all night worrying when they go out on a date and take your car for transportation.:D
I thought they made a deal in portland with smoking everywhere. They need to change their name from smoking everywhere to minorless e-cigs.

Last edited:
What pisses me off the most about all of this is government taking my choices away from me. I live in Oregon. Would I patronize a mall vendor? probably not...But that is not the point. If I need/want/choose to purchase e-cigs or e-cig supplies I am FORCED to place my trust in an unknown website, handing over my personal and financial details just to exercise my rights that supposedly guaranteed me underneath the US Constitution.

If the government in its infinite wisdom trusts me to make choices about products that will kill me if used as intended (cigarettes) then it sure the hell better give me the freedom to choose an alternative that I deem to be in my best interests for my health and my longevity.

Hmm..interesting point..From what I have read the vendor actually kind of brought this on themselves. Not saying the response from the OR government is correct. But there is something to be said about falsely representing your product. I do deserve consumer protection against false claims in advertising.

They should have just been honest about what the product is. An alternative to smoking cigarettes. Nothing more..nothing less..Point out the features and benefits and let the consumer decide.....

But to claim that e-cigs are safe? Even my 9 year old son understands that putting some strange vapor in my lungs might be doing some damage somewhere down the line. I don't know if they are safe per se, but I am willing to bet at the end of the day that an e-cig if used as designed will kill me a lot slower than using cigarettes as intended......

Sardonic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Obviously you never play around with your health and always consult a professional, but, to add my own experience, I had these ALOT from a combination of pulled muscles and back strain. I thought I was experiencing a heart issue and went to the doctor to find out there was nothing wrong with me. I went to a chiropractor and massage therapist and got immediate relief. My strain comes from competitive fighting and other stupid crap I did/do, but that chiro and the massage (same type they use for fibromyalgia (general pain) is a life saver for me. No panic from the similar symptoms anymore.

Does not say this is what others are having. Just another avenue to look at.

Probably!!! thats what it felt like for sure!!!

HeatherC

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2010
New York
I agree with HeatherC, NO MORE TEENAGERS. People need to be born as adults. No more going through diaper, buying toys, puberty and all night worrying when they go out on a date and take your car for transportation.:D
I thought they made a deal in portland with smoking everywhere. They need to change their name from smoking everywhere to minorless e-cigs.

Yes However, (tho I don't know this for sure) I think a lot of women who have given birth would have objection to this... I have found it a lot less painful to adopt a 10 yr old.... but others do it differently LOL

xg4bx

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2010
Phillipsburg, New Jersey
I'm a libertarian so obviously things like this get me steamed.

What gets me is the fact that there are people out there who genuinely believe that the government cares about them and their health. We are nothing but machines meant to go to work, pay our taxes and drop dead early like overworked mules so we don't collect social security. Meanwhile this habit is safer than than the millions of tons of cheeseburgers, fast food, beers and ......... that Americans pump down their gullets each year. This absolute wilful ignorance should disgust everyone.

As a resident of NJ (ha, don't get me started) I'm completely used to dumb, ignorant legislation.

Last edited:

HeatherC

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2010
New York
I'm a libertarian so obviously things like this get me steamed.

What gets me is the fact that there are people out there who genuinely believe that the government cares about them and their health. We are nothing but machines meant to go to work, pay our taxes and drop dead early like overworked mules so we don't collect social security.

As a resident of NJ (ha, don't get me started) I'm completely used to dumb, ignorant legislation.

Don't even get me started on social security! I was disabled in 1992..and at only 21 yrs of age had to fight for three years to get SSDI. The final denial, before we got a lawyer to help us, stated that I had never been hospitalized for my condition. I was NOT breathing at the scene of my accident...and remained comatose for 2 and a half weeks....and I wasn't hospitalized?? If I hadn't been hospitalized I would have been in the morgue and therefore wouldn't have been applying for social security. OK I'm done now...can't go any further with this without getting REALLY REALLY REALLY steamed. :danger::danger::danger:

omni

Aug 11, 2010
Shoreview, MN
I'm pretty new to vapin, but not new to FDA rules. If a candy company makes a claim that the candy will grow hair on my head...well...they need to prove it per US law. If a candy company makes candy (using safe & legal ingredients) which they sell for people to enjoy...its perfectly legal. You simply can not claim something has a health benefit without providing it via an FDA trial, probably just 2 phases since inhalers would likely be a FDA class 2 device.

Think of it this way, if a cigarette company claimed that it had a health benefit, what do you think the FDA would do? It would stop that dead in its tracks...since there is no scientific data to prove that claim. The FDA HAS to protect consumers, that is the purpose of that organization.

In looking at tons of webstores (when looking for a PV & Juice since I'm a newb) I see claim after claim about how PV's are "safer" than this, or "better for you" than that. Those are all claims and those claims need to be proven if stated (FDA trial). Stores should just say: This device is not proven to be safe. It vaporizes nicotine and delivers it to your lungs. Use with caution.

Just a thought!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread