Status
Not open for further replies.

rob33

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2009
A World Traveler
Well given that I find it difficult to even put a link in a post I should probably stay away from "it".

DIY Box Mod Kit - DNA75/75c BF/Squonk - Canada

I have assemble several ABM kits all have came out well. He post complete build instructions on youtube and his prices don't forget the US currency conversion at $81 for this is competitively priced with what is included and he ships really fast. He is also easy to email should you have question or need help.

rob33

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2009
A World Traveler
Thank you, that is worth several watches before this arrives. I also have to watch a couple on soldering techniques.

I started using his technique of tinning, applying flux and loading the iron improved my success working with dna boards. Before I started loading the iron I got a couple of boards to hot, also I run my hakko iron about 750F before at 600F I was just making a mess.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I started using his technique of tinning, applying flux and loading the iron improved my success working with dna boards. Before I started loading the iron I got a couple of boards to hot, also I run my hakko iron about 750F before at 600F I was just making a mess.
Soldering is a craft skill, and as such it improves with practice. Also there is desoldering tape, which in microsoldering is super handy for fixing minor mistakes. I personally would also practice on something unimportant first to become familiar with how the various tools and things act.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
I appreciate every soldering tip people have. Any recommendation on an iron for small electronics?

Soldering is a craft skill, and as such it improves with practice. Also there is desoldering tape, which in microsoldering is super handy for fixing minor mistakes. I personally would also practice on something unimportant first to become familiar with how the various tools and things act.

rob33

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2009
A World Traveler
Last edited:

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
Thank you, I am taking these suggestions to heart. I knew flux and a specialized kind of solder was necessary but had no idea what exactly to look for. Suggestion from here by people who have actually done this stuff is most helpful.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I was going to simply say what's already been posted. I haven't soldered anything in a real long time. I would definitely get some practice in before tackling it. The 510 is easy, but the board less so if you're out of practice soldering.

The good part is one, the sense of accomplishment and two, knowing you can easily fix your own mod if ever needed in the future.

When you figure out everything you need it adds up to more than just buying a mod from whoever, but yours will be of higher quality than most of the market. As for beta testing, I'll volunteer. Just so long as I can take a peek at the inside first. ;)

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
I've never used the kit...

I've watched a number of videos on modding because 1) DIY is usually less expensive for higher quality and 2) you can find some unique case and have something truly 1 of a kind.. which just screams cool. and 3) when the vapocalypse occurs it will be handy knowledge

I found via watching videos it seems to be fairly straightforward and easy to put together a little homemade mod - so if you buy the kit it should be easy for you, one would imagine..

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I appreciate every soldering tip people have. Any recommendation on an iron for small electronics?
There’s low power, high power, switchable power and variable power. All with their associated price and convenience increases. Since you’re doing just one job, low power or switchable power is probably preferred. Variable power is just going to make things more complicated.
A pointy tip will help for really small stuff, but a pointy tip also transfers less heat because there’s a smaller contact area. This makes things slower. The standard bromide is “heat the part not the solder”. Solder will only stick to things hot enough to melt it.

Flux is important. It’s basically a powerful heat activated acid that disolves everything when it liquifies or boils. Parts need to be really clean to solder correctly. Flux will do that. There is either brush on flux paste or flux core solder. Which you prefer is personal preference. Flux core is simpler but less accurate. Many pros vastly prefer paste solder, but it’s also easy to make a mess with.

Last edited:

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
The two black squonkers in the middle (75 & 75C) are a pair of his older 3D Printed cases. One has a Varitube 510 and the other a ModMaker, both run Molicel 20700A's these days.

Great little squonkers!
qPPY6PVh.jpg

The inside of the DNA75 on the right, not the same as the ABM case but like others have stated he is an awesome vendor to deal with.
Ky5Pzwrl.jpg

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
The kit is in the mail. I am watching solder videos, looking at irons, flux, flux-solder, and solder. I will be taking a lot of time with this. One of my maim goals is to have a device that I can repair or rebuild as it becomes necessary. I found a sale of DNA 75, ten for $100 bucks. If I do this right, I will be set - so will my children and grand children.

Morgan_Drury

ECF Veteran
Dec 5, 2018
Well, for my first try, I think a kit might be the best choice. There is an option to buy without the board. I have a couple of DNA build it for cheaper
The kit is in the mail. I am watching solder videos, looking at irons, flux, flux-solder, and solder. I will be taking a lot of time with this. One of my maim goals is to have a device that I can repair or rebuild as it becomes necessary. I found a sale of DNA 75, ten for $100 bucks. If I do this right, I will be set - so will my children and grand children.

Can you post a link to that sale?

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/members/cmd-ky.159273/ wrote: I appreciate every soldering tip people have. Any recommendation on an iron for small electronics?

For very small and delicate connections I've used a copper or stainless steel wire wrapped around the tip of the soldering iron with a part of the wire sticking out from the tip. You can get into small connections with the hot wire without overheating the board components.

It's best used with very small wire solder. You don't get as much heat concentration on the smaller wire tip to melt larger solder gauges.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread