Not open for further replies.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
This was a single para in an article listing changing laws around the country. I hadn't heard of it before.

"Hawaii is becoming the first state to raise its minimum age, from 18 to 21, to buy or use cigarettes or e-cigarettes. It's a move some local governments have made before, but never a state."

New laws in 2016 show states are diverging on guns, voting

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
77% ?

LOL
I don't even understand the reasoning behind it. You don't lower underage smoking rates by increasing the pool of "underage" citizens.

I would have expected this to get a lot of push back, from military personnel. Tourists will have issues as well.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I don't even understand the reasoning behind it. You don't lower underage smoking rates by increasing the pool of "underage" citizens.

I would have expected this to get a lot of push back, from military personnel. Tourists will have issues as well.

Above 18 is just Over Reach.

And was Probably done more for Personal Political Gains than for what the Discription of the Legislation said it would be Doing.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
We let them get away with it with respect to having a beer, so why not a smoke or a vape?

I never saw anyone Run a Red Light and then T-Bone a Car while being under the Influence of Nicotine. But I have seen it while being Under the Influence of Other Things.

I'm OK with a 21+ Drinking age if a State's Population wants it.

But I'm not OK with a 21+ for Tobacco or e-Cigarettes. Even if there is a Popular Majority of the State's Residents.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
There actually was a very logical reason for increasing the drinking age to 21 -- so many accidents on the roads were those between 18-21, under the influence. I believe that since raising the drinking age to 21, that number has decreased dramatically.

But as Zoidman points out, being under the influence of nicotine doesn't have a single thing to do with anything, and it's just a stupid law. So sad, that such a beautiful state has such total lackwit ninnies running it.

Andria

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I never saw anyone Run a Red Light and then T-Bone a Car while being under the Influence of Nicotine. But I have seen it while being Under the Influence of Other Things.

I'm OK with a 21+ Drinking age if a State's Population wants it.

But I'm not OK with a 21+ for Tobacco or e-Cigarettes. Even if there is a Popular Majority of the State's Residents.
I'd object less vehemently if it were really left to the individual states instead of being yet another example of the FedGov overriding the wishes of the people of most of the states:
National Minimum Drinking Age Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

this is my name

ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2014
North Little Rock, AR, USA
I agree. It's not going to change anyone's behavior -- it'll just give the cops a whole new way to hassle young people. :facepalm:

Andria
More offenders = more fines
More fines = More money
More money = More unjust laws
More unjust laws = More offenders
Circle complete.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal