Help! I'm so bummed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sessa555

Jul 24, 2009
Hi there!

My best friend and I decided a couple of weeks ago to switch from analogs to e-cigarettes. We did a ton of research, and ended up going to our local mall to a smokeanywhere kiosk where we tried on out. I took a couple of puffs and within less than a minute started to feel shaky/queasy. I thought maybe I had just inhaled too hard and gotten too much nicotine or something (though I smoke 1/2 a pack of full strength cigarettes a day). We ordered from GreenSmoke, since their product is only 2 pieces and it produces a lot of vapor. Because I had gotten so weird feeling after the Smokeanywhere experience, we ordered 'low' 4mg nicotine cartridges. After they were charged up, we happily puffed away (in the kitchen, no less!) and tried several flavors. Within a minute or two (probably 6 puffs total), I was feeling shaky/queasy again. It took a good 1/2 hour or so before I felt normal again. It was not a nicotine-buzzy feeling at all, I felt sick. Analogs have never made me feel like that, even after chain smoking several.

Sooooo...I'm not sure if I'm having a reaction to the synthetic nicotine or the PG. I just ordered some nicotine-free cartridges so I guess that will be the true test. If I'm allergic to the PG I'm screwed, right? Are there any brands currently offering VG or other PG-free e-cigs in the states? With the FDA cracking down on e-cigs in general and seizing shipments coming in from other countries I don't want to get stuck with a brand I can't get refills or parts for.

I'm VERY upset, because I LOVE vaping, and I really really really want this to work out for me so that I can quit smoking. I truly would have been happy to quit the day they arrived (my best friend already pretty much has) had I not had this weird reaction. Does anyone have any advice/experience/etc for me on this one?

tannerk

ECF Veteran
Hi there!

My best friend and I decided a couple of weeks ago to switch from analogs to e-cigarettes. We did a ton of research, and ended up going to our local mall to a smokeanywhere kiosk where we tried on out. I took a couple of puffs and within less than a minute started to feel shaky/queasy. I thought maybe I had just inhaled too hard and gotten too much nicotine or something (though I smoke 1/2 a pack of full strength cigarettes a day). We ordered from GreenSmoke, since their product is only 2 pieces and it produces a lot of vapor. Because I had gotten so weird feeling after the Smokeanywhere experience, we ordered 'low' 4mg nicotine cartridges. After they were charged up, we happily puffed away (in the kitchen, no less!) and tried several flavors. Within a minute or two (probably 6 puffs total), I was feeling shaky/queasy again. It took a good 1/2 hour or so before I felt normal again. It was not a nicotine-buzzy feeling at all, I felt sick. Analogs have never made me feel like that, even after chain smoking several.

Sooooo...I'm not sure if I'm having a reaction to the synthetic nicotine or the PG. I just ordered some nicotine-free cartridges so I guess that will be the true test. If I'm allergic to the PG I'm screwed, right? Are there any brands currently offering VG or other PG-free e-cigs in the states? With the FDA cracking down on e-cigs in general and seizing shipments coming in from other countries I don't want to get stuck with a brand I can't get refills or parts for.

I'm VERY upset, because I LOVE vaping, and I really really really want this to work out for me so that I can quit smoking. I truly would have been happy to quit the day they arrived (my best friend already pretty much has) had I not had this weird reaction. Does anyone have any advice/experience/etc for me on this one?

That sounds a lot like classic case of PG allergies. Try VG formulas instead.

quovadis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2009
Florida USA
I do not agree with the advice the others have given you.
I had exactly the same as you when i started vaping.
The liquids tasted pungent and perfumes and i got awful nausea and "sea sickness"
This has nothing to do with a PG allergy at all.
It's the nicotine hit in one puff is so overwhelming compared to a cig that you get instant nausea.
Did you also feel a tingling sensation in the back of your neck and head?
Did you feel as if your pupils were suddenly dilating?
Did you feel your senses sharpen?

If you smoke too many analogs you simply get ahead ache...
I felt different side effects with vaping the first few days.

start vaping 11 mg liquids and stay away from RY#4 and heavy shags for the first week.

RsL

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2009
Minneapolis
This has nothing to do with a PG allergy at all.

How can you be so sure of that? You somehow know whether or not this person is allergic to PG ???

It's the nicotine hit in one puff is so overwhelming compared to a cig that you get instant nausea.

Actually nothing could be further from the truth. You get MUCH more nicotine from a single hit of a cigarette....

RenaissancePuffer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
You have a good point quovadis, it could very well be overdoing it on the nicotine....

I've found that with my PV, I don't have to take nearly as many puffs off of it as I would a cigarette, to be "content" with my nicotine dose.

YMMV, but I can tell you, I smoked a pack a day of Marlboro Menthol Lights, and 12mg juice is still giving me a nicotine buzz if I take too many puffs. The only time I ever got a buzz off of nicotine before was if I used chewing tobacco or snuff.

My suggestion would be to take a puff or two. Sit the PV down. When the craving comes back, take another puff or two, repeat when necessary. The flavors can taste good and it can be tempting to over puff :p Just know the consequences, if it is indeed too much nicotine.

The advice about VG is good as well, who knows, it could be a combination of the two.

quovadis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2009
Florida USA
The symptoms are not allergic ones.
Allergies cannot provoke the symptoms he describes (nausea etc)

I used to smoke 2 packs of camel wides a day, and when i vaped for first time i felt the nicotine entering my bloodstream with such violence, that i got completely nauseated and sea sick.
I have spoken to others who have had same reaction.

All ex-analog smokers who were on Marlboro red or other strong cigarettes, make the mistake that they think that they need to vape max strength liquids that resemble tobacco flavor the first week.
And most of us under-estimate the sudden nicotine delivery that vaping these liquids provides.
It nailed me the first day...thought i was gonna die of sea sickness

framitz

Moved On
May 24, 2009
RSM, CA
And Johnson Creek changed their recipes recently, and they are not currently offering VG liquid, although they are working to get together a VG recipe that they are happy with and then they will release it for sale once again.
7/22/09
The question to JC:
What is used to replace the PG in the reduced PG formulas?

Thanks,

The response:
Vegetable Glycerine. Also, in case you need the information, our ingredient list is posted on our website under the FAQ and it's also listed on the side of each 15mL and 30mL bottle. Hope this helps!

Cheers,

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
7/22/09
The question to JC:
What is used to replace the PG in the reduced PG formulas?

Thanks,

The response:
Vegetable Glycerine. Also, in case you need the information, our ingredient list is posted on our website under the FAQ and it's also listed on the side of each 15mL and 30mL bottle. Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Yes, that's their reduced PG formula.
Their VG formula, will be available again soon.

Bones

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 3, 2009
Austin, Texas
How can you be so sure of that? You somehow know whether or not this person is allergic to PG ???

Actually nothing could be further from the truth. You get MUCH more nicotine from a single hit of a cigarette....

I agree with this - well don't really have to agree it's a fact - E-cig puff delivers about 10% of the nicotine given from an analog puff - What is being described could be withdrawal related? - Only the user can know their body and carefully try things to get past it - I had similar reactions with 0 nic at first - After a few days they went away and do not even show up now with 36mg - It could well be an allergic reaction - Though those are often accompanied by irritation of the throat - Everyone reacts differently - Just be careful and safe - Trying different formulations is good advice -

Quovadis I keep running across you giving wrong info with the voice of authority and respectfully ask that you read more before you offer advice - I read every thread I could get my hands on for 2 months before I started to offer anyone advice - and still I will point out that I am not a doctor and it is only my opinion - Be careful with emphatic statements regarding health issues - Your opinions are valued - But keep in mind that your experience is limited - A week ago you were all questions - Now you have all the answers?

sessa555

Jul 24, 2009
Thanks so much for all the great responses. I'm a little bit overwhelmed with the lingo and abbreviations, but am trying to catch on as quickly as possible! Here's my plan...

I ordered some 0 nicotine cartridges from Green Smoke, so that I can narrow down what it is I am reacting to. If it's the synthetic nicotine, I'll just vape the 0 nic ones and be happy. The cartridges I have now are 4mg, which are the lowest they make.

If it's the PG I'm reacting to, well, I'm still not sure what I'll do. Are there any brands that come with PG-free cartridges already made (I don't want to fill them myself, I don't really understand how to go about doing it yet)?

It does feel a lot like being seasick. A bit light headed, woozy, shaky...very strange. Is this something that might go away if I stick with it, or is that just plain dumb?

happily

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2009
anchorage, ak
Hi there!

when you first start vaping this is very normal............your already loaded with analog chemical's and adding to them. Every time I went up a notch in juice I did the same thing at first and then it went away. It also takes longer to reach your brain with vaping so you probably load up before you feel....just practice it should calm down.........but as stated before it could be something else.........just my opinion

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread