Help, please: Newbie to rebuildables

Status
Not open for further replies.

thanswr1

ECF Veteran
  • Jan 16, 2017
    I've been using the Aspire nautilus almost since it first came out. I've been through all their various coil modifications and love the BVC coil. I am not a sub-ohmer and use the 1.6 ohm coil.

You're probably asking "So what is the problem"?

The problem is I happen to like very sweet juices. I can burn through a coil in 3-4 days.

I'd like to try my hand at rebuildables and making my own coils.

Any help at choosing an MTL rebuildable and coils would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

CagedSpam

ECF Veteran
    Mar 12, 2015
    FoPo, Oregon
    Welcome to the "hobby" side of vaping. People much more knowledgeable will be along soon.

It's quite a bit of fun knowing you can make coils and wick with a few supplies.

3fvape has a whole MTL rebuildable section
    MTL, Mouth to lung, MTL atomizer, E-Cigarette atomizer, Quality and Cheap - 3FVape

If one looks promising see if there are any youtube reviews, the best stuff is usually popular for a reason.

If you want it sooner best to order from your own country not China right now.

Oh, and have fun!

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 22, 2015
    Rapture
    I've been using the Aspire Nautilus almost since it first came out. I've been through all their various coil modifications and love the BVC coil. I am not a sub-ohmer and use the 1.6 ohm coil.

The problem is I happen to like very sweet juices. I can burn through a coil in 3-4 days.

Thanks in advance.

hi. Look at videos of some rtas like kayfun, expromizer berserker...
    Some here to look at to get an idea
    10 Best RTA Tanks of 2020 - For Flavour, Clouds & MTL (Latest) | Ecigclick

Then for wire and cotton I’m lazy so I just buy from a source on eBay for 28g kanthal and cotton gods cotton which is nice

Simple kanthal builds for mtl are easy too. Good luck :)

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    Thank you. I knew I came to the right place. :)

As for ordering from China, I ordered ONE drip tip from Fasttech. That was at the beginning of March. Still at the loading dock.

For the basics of winding your own coils you need a rebuildable atomizer, a roll of 28 gauge Kanthal or Stainless steel wire, a box of Sally's cellucotton Rayon (or even cotton balls to start with), a coil jig or just a nail in the right diameter to wind the coils you want to use, and some time to play with winding and learning how to install coils. It's really easy for single and dual coil atomizers. Fancy quad coils can get a little complicated.

Coiling and wicking tutorial for beginners by Ecigguide

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 22, 2015
    Rapture
    You will need some additional things though. Little Philips or flathead screwdriver (usually one comes with the atty)
    You will need some wire cutters (couple dollars?) I use pounds. Probably though ;)
    And something cylindrical to wrap the wire around. I like the little ss pipe thing (forget the name sorry,you’ll find it) another 50c right there!
    And some scissors

that guy got it ^^ coil jig is the cylindrical thing

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    Don't get stuck on the coil resistance (ohms) It's different for RTAs (but I'm sure you will want it to be over 1 ohm)
    Making a coil with simple round wire is not that hard (especially a spaced coil)... I can make one just using a nail.
    Doing the wick is the hard part (not super hard to do but hard to get it right... there is a learning curve) That's where YT videos are so helpful. On the Nautilus, how tight do you like the airflow? That answer will help us recommend a RTA for you.
    Last thought... some cheap reading glasses (dollar store) really help when building.

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    BTW, with rebuildables, you only need to re-do the wick... then after several times doing that you finally put a new coil in.
    When you pull the old wick out, you do something called a "dry-burn" to clean the coil, then put in the new wick. Even with sweet juices, you could go weeks on a coil but will have to re-wick several times. Some people say Rayon wicks/holds up better but good cotton is also fine. This all might sound hard, but after you do it a few times it gets easier.
    I almost forgot... what mod are you using?

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL
    I've been using the Aspire Nautilus almost since it first came out. I've been through all their various coil modifications and love the BVC coil. I am not a sub-ohmer and use the 1.6 ohm coil.

Thanks in advance.
    Hi - I started with the Nautilus 2 with BVC and because I used tobacco, could only get about 3 days out of a coil, too.

So I got a Kayfun Mini V3 as my first rebuildable, and it was better than the N2.

I just posted this progression to another newbie asking the same thing as you just a few moments ago. I tried other tanks, but these are the ones I loved, in the order I got & used them:

1. Doggysyle (SXK and SJMY clones)- awesome tank, extremely easy, and very forgiving. BUT, air flow control is not very good on it, if you like to dial it down some. Some people don't like that it's bottom fill, but it's really no harder to unscrew it from the base than unscrewing the top of other atties. And it's WAY better than the N2.

2. Ehpro True MTL- it replaced my doggies, and is a fantastic tank. Very easy, better air flow control, very forgiving, never leaks. You won't go wrong with this one. I have several, and it was by far my favorite tank, and I wasn't looking to replace it. I still use it some, but then I won the

3. BD Vape Precisio- More expensive (but not too much), and more high- end. BY FAR the best vape I've ever had. Incredibly dense, flavorful vape, with all the throat hit I craved. In fact, it might've been a little too rich and intense for me at first. I couldn't believe how satisfying a vape on this thing was. Took some getting used to, and I opened the air flow up a little. But this tank is built to last a lifetime. As much as I like doggies, I know the threading would wear out eventually. And the fill gasket on the True will have to fail down the road at some point. There's nothing like that on the Precisio. I absolutely love this tank- forgiving, no leaks ever, trouble free, fantastic vape, and still costs less than KFL-19, which has it's odd issues with the af screw, and is still somewhat finicky as other Kayfuns.

I vaped the 1.6 BVC at around 10W. Now, I build coils with SS316L, 28ga, 7 wraps spaced, 2mm ID around .58 ohms, and go 8-10W depending on the mod.

Making the coils is simple with one of these: $5.89 Coil Master 3-in-1 E-Cigarette Wire Coil Winder - fuchsia / 2 + 2.5 + 3mm poles at FastTech - Free Shipping

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    I'm using the Aspire Nautilus, a 1.6 ohm coil, and a very airy draw. That would be the biggest hole.
    Good to know (I like "loose" MTL myself) Some of the popular MTL RTAs have very tight draw (like Berserker) so I had to pass on them.

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    I vaped the 1.6 BVC at around 10W. Now, I build coils with SS316L, 28ga, 7 wraps spaced, 2mm ID around .58 ohms, and go 8-10W depending on the mod.
    That's what I meant about the ohms... very good example.
    Good list too! There is a good Tripod clone also... someone here is always mentioning it.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL
    BTW, with rebuildables, you only need to re-do the wick... then after several times doing that you finally put a new coil in.
    When you pull the old wick out, you do something called a "dry-burn" to clean the coil, then put in the new wick. Even with sweet juices, you could go weeks on a coil but will have to re-wick several times. Some people say Rayon wicks/holds up better but good cotton is also fine. This all might sound hard, but after you do it a few times it gets easier.
    I almost forgot... what mod are you using?
    This doesn't work for me, but I don't use fancy expensive coils. No matter how many times and ways I tried, it never tasted as good as a new coil. It was kind of close, but would tend to gunk up quicker than a brand new one. And I found that by the time I went through the time of dry firing, rinsing or brushing, I could've had a new coil in there, and since I use round wire, it only costs around a penny each.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL
    How are the pre-made coils? I've seen a few and very few are in the 1.6 ohm range. Are they good or just the lazy person's way out?
    Nothing wrong with them, but they're so easy to make exactly the way you want them, there's not a need unless you want a fancy clapton, stapled, something like that.

You can get 30' of SS316L 28ga for less than $2.00 at Fasttech. And one of these things, makes it so simple and quick:
    $5.89 Coil Master 3-in-1 E-Cigarette Wire Coil Winder - fuchsia / 2 + 2.5 + 3mm poles at FastTech - Free Shipping

Every now & then, I just cut a couple dozen lengths of about 3.5", then wind them up and throw them in a battery box. Only takes a few minutes, and they're all set for when I rebuild. And I highly recommend getting organic cotton pads when you start. Nothing wrong with rayon or other types of cotton- but you really want to be consistent when you build- too much rayon/cotton, and it won't wick well, too little can cause leaks, popping, and spitback. Once you get the right amount, it's easy to precut consistently thick lengths of Koh Gen Do wick from a pad (about 5mm for me if I peel the pad). Much easier than separating the strands of other forms of wick.

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    YouTube has a lot of videos.
    I started with the Nautilus and had different flavors in each one. Then I tried a Kayfun. I coiled, wicked it and put it in the flavor rotation. Within a week I had five more ordered.
    Easy peasy.

Same here, Nautilus was an early favorite. Doggystyle attys were also in my favorites box and still are. I think the main reason that Kayfun V2 stuck with me for so long is its leak resistance. It was one of the tanks back then that you could slide in a pocket and not worry about juice leaking. Kayfun with the coil down close to the air inlet port produces great flavor and vapor. The draw is very close to a filter cigarette.

Last edited:

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    Once you get the right amount, it's easy to precut consistent lengths of Koh Gen Do wick from a pad. Much easier than separating the strands of other forms of wick.
    Good point. I have been getting frustrated lately guessing how thick to cut the wick material... it was easier with the cotton pads... cut the same width every time. A few times I cut it uneven... one side too much, the other side not enough. Someone just gave me some good cotton pads... might go back to using that instead. Thanks for reminding me.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread