Not open for further replies.

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
This is all very odd because I paid with PayPal and 4 days later someone tried to hack my PayPal account. I received an email saying my account needed to be verified for the $100 purchase. I actually started to fill out the form until I got to the request for my ssn then I knew it was fraud. Tbh though I’ve used it a few times in the last 2 weeks at other online vendors including fasttech.

I’m going to go thru all my statements tomorrow and run a check. I get credit karma with one of my accounts for free. And also a credit report from Equifax.

Never can be too careful. Hope everything works out for you Dubminer.

Dubminer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Please keep all of us posted on your progress @Dubminer.
One of the cards the charge went through in California for $550 and the card has reimbursed me. The other card a charge went through for $220 from a website based in England and i am waiting for payback. I am still waiting for some others to go through.As far as the LYFT charges,i emailed LYFT and told them i do not have an account or a VISA with those numbers.I have not heard back from them but the emails with charges have stopped.

ShowerHead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2014
Massachusetts
Luckily, thieves are going the virtual route.
They just create an identity, no actual human (except the thief) is involved.

The New ID Theft: Millions of Credit Applicants Who Don’t Exist

I think in the US, they need to stop using SS number for an ID number. Give everyone a public key. Pretty secure, real hard to guess, and since it needs a verification server, not as likely to be fake.

The only time I have been a 'victim' of ID fraud, it was a herd of illegals used a SS number for employment. It just happened to be mine. I got about 4 years of work credit to my SS account in 6 months.

Good luck with this. If it is 'simple' CC stealing, it'll go away on its own.
If ID theft, sadly, you're in for a new experience.

Dubminer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
I am still confused what is going on,the CC fraud charges have stopped and after i emailed LYFT they have not sent me anymore recipes,they also have not responded to my email. I do not know if the LYFT charges fraud was using just my email and some other persons stolen cards or if they actually opened a visa account under my name. I have been on Experian and no new accounts or anything else has happened. Not sure what else i can do right now.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
LOL. No idea and not likely to ever find out again. Russian Roulette springs to mind for some reason. Good luck!
I think you'd be safe with PayPal. At least that way no one else gets your information and if something if wrong you can do the claim thing with PayPal and get your money back like I did on my DOA mod.

Yeah, might haveta TOFT. Wanted to get some silvers just for skinners. Most of my gear is brass, cop or generally darker. But funny, the fewer bright pieces I own are among the most used. Yep, gonna have to think it.

Thx and good luck guys. :)

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
I get it now, TOFT = Tank One For The Team. When I went to look up what TOFT meant, I got this, and was thoroughly confused;:confused:

toft
(tɒft)
n
1. (Historical Terms) a homestead
2. (Historical Terms) an entire holding, consisting of a homestead and the attached arable land
[Old English, from Old Norse topt]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014

I guess I'm just too old to understand you young'uns.o_O :blink:

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Yea it is. That's where I finally found something that made any sense. Are we gonna have to carry around a dictionary now for each Generation ??
I can usually figure it out in face to face conversation, not so much here.

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
No i have not contacted Vaporcube, maybe i should but whatever they say will be too little too late. I guess the law of averages finally got me, probably several hundred online transactions before this happened to me.

You should really let them know what happened. They may want to take measures so this doesn’t happen to any more of their customers.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
Yes he should contact them and tell them that his cards that he tried using were compromised so they can at least look into it. The assumption is that it happened on their site. We don't actually know that for sure. He used the cards at other locations and was never able to run one thru to make a purchase at their site. It is possible the card was compromised elsewhere or that the computer used was compromised. It is all speculation without them confirming being hacked or other people reporting it as happening on vapor cube.

A web search of vapor cube compromised. or Vapor cube credit card compromised doesn't yield any results of others stating it happened to them. I don't know who they use to process the cards. The processor could be compromised. I almost never use credit cards just Paypal whenever possible. Prevents a lot of problems. The merchant never gets the information other than shipping address and payment confirmation. No 3rd party processor either.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
The only credit card that I have ever had compromised was a discover card. It wasn't compromised by using it at a merchant.

They hacked into the Discover Card computers and got a lot of account information. They changed the address on the card and ran it up around $45,000 worth of stuff shipped to another state, Kansas. Discover called asked me to call the number on the card and ask for the security department. I did they told me they had shipped a new card and if I received a bill for $40,000 to discard it as it was already written off. They wouldn't give out any other info other than that the account had been hacked in their system. They provided a year of a identity security coverage. I am still getting an email monthly from that security service some 7 years later telling me if there has been any suspicious activity on my credit history. So I guess a year is a long time for them.

The only other card is one that I use for auto pay on T-Mobile. Never was hacked and hasn't been a problem. But someone hacked them. They also provided a identity theft service for a year.

Reactions: 52anddone

Dubminer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Yes maybe i will contact them. Just to clear it up one of the compromised cards was never used for at least a year online. I tried my usual card and a pop up message said some thing like i had exceeded my daily limit payment declined. I thought this was odd because i had plenty of credit in there. I then tried the card i do not normally use online and got the same message. I then used the first card linked through paypal and the order went through. Four days later the fraus charges started coming through.

The other weird thing about the site was they are based in the USA and except paypal plus there was no age verifacation process. Too many coincidences for my liking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread