RDA Holmes RDA by Cigreen

Status
Not open for further replies.

nosmoke12

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 31, 2013
So I just got my Holmes today (ordered wed, shipped out thurs and arrived today!) from Origin vape and it looks beautiful, even came gift wrapped!! but I haven't tried to put a build of yet because the posts are uneven height, a bit slanted, and rotated a bit so on one side the post holes look cross eyed and opposite on the other side. Should I say screw it and keep it for builds or see if it's worth getting it exchanged?

illitirit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2013
United States
i just picked a holmes up and im really suprised by the price.

One thing that i do not like however is that my AFC ring has a small gap between the upper and lower portion of the body. Its the only thing bad thing i can say about it really. I wonder if there is a way to remove the AFC ring.

Juice capacity is a bit smaller than what everyone else is saying. I can comfortably put in at most 17-19 drops before liquid gets into the airholes.

All in all I give it a 8/10. It would be 9.5 if mine didnt come with the small machining defect. Some spare screws would have been nice as well.

illitirit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2013
United States
a little update about my holmes rda after a few days of living with it :

Pros :

-Great build area, easy to wick. Lots of space to work with.
-Holds a decent amount of juice
-Machining is good
-AFC ring click feedback is extremely nice
-Great flavor
-No coil spitback , which has been plaguing me with my other drippers.
-Crazy open airflow

Cons:

I dont know if my unit is bad but after a few days of using some problems and annoyances started to arise.

First one is obviously the one i mentioned earlier that my AFC ring has a gap between the upper and lower portions of the body. Its extremely small but noticeable to me. I can actually wiggle my afc ring up and down. Anyone else holmes does this?

Second is the AFC ring, the smallest airhole setting was not aligned well. One of the 4 holes is cut extremely close to the wall.

Third, The fact that as you vape, condensation and moisture will collect in bottom portion of the dripper, where the air is coming from below the build deck. This seems to create a droning noise cause by wetness and air when drawing.

Also because alot of moisture will collect around inside AFC ring, even if you arent overdripping or anything. If you go and try to change your AFC, you will get juice all over your fingers from the hidden moisture around the inside of the ring.

Lastly, All airflow settings will whistle for me other than the largest airhole setting.

Is anyone else having these problems? I feel like I got a lemon.

DejayRezme

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 22, 2014
    Europe
    Probably the base of the airflow part is press fitted. But maybe it's screwed or glued or welded. You COULD try to give it a bit of a hammering with two pieces of wood to close the gap. Mine doesn't whistle at all and I hate whistling too! I didn't have too much trouble with leaking except for overdripping but I didn't use it that long.

illitirit

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 21, 2013
    United States
    Probably the base of the airflow part is press fitted. But maybe it's screwed or glued or welded. You COULD try to give it a bit of a hammering with two pieces of wood to close the gap. Mine doesn't whistle at all and I hate whistling too! I didn't have too much trouble with leaking except for overdripping but I didn't use it that long.

i took it apart just now to see if its even possible to hammer it down. I dont think it is honestly. I did try and nothing seemed to happen.

I have no idea how they got that AFC ring on there, the body of the dripper seems to be 1 piece so there is nothing to hammer.

DejayRezme

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 22, 2014
    Europe
    Hmm too bad then. You could write to cigreen or origin vape.

About the whistling, maybe you can stop it by putting something either in the vertical airflow channels or the holes. A tiny "sound dampening object" somewhere in the airflow might be enough to stop the noise. Maybe a piece of stainless steel mesh. I haven't tried this but I read this tip for whistling on a magma clone.

maleasdf

ECF Veteran
    Oct 23, 2014
    Love my holmes, easiest to build and can drip easily 18 drops with no thoughts of leak. Also as suggested here, when doing single coils I stuff cotton into the unused air vent on deck and it works fabulously. Flavor has also been great and best thing is it is not lacking compared to magma without the restrictive draw. Also no splutter in mouth with twisted coil builds, really a bigge for some. The only con I have may be the drip tip it came with has a sharp edge on top and I have hurt my lips and sometimes tooth. Some condensation does occur in the base airflow chamber but nothing that could classify as leaky.

I would need some help in placing the coils at the right height. I am trying to get a warmer vape and trying to experiment with different heights above the air vents. With kanthal builds its not an issue to experiment but I am using Ni200 with rDNA40. The coils are flimsy and very hard to experiment. Would like to know any insights where would be the best placement of coils above the vent holes on deck.

mvroman

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    Texas
    Hmm too bad then. You could write to cigreen or origin vape.

About the whistling, maybe you can stop it by putting something either in the vertical airflow channels or the holes. A tiny "sound dampening object" somewhere in the airflow might be enough to stop the noise. Maybe a piece of stainless steel mesh. I haven't tried this but I read this tip for whistling on a magma clone.

You can chamfer the holes as well, round em out just a bit. That's usually what I do with my drippers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

maleasdf

ECF Veteran
    Oct 23, 2014
    Did they add support for single coil builds?

Stuff cotton into unused air hole on the deck and you are golden. Have been using it like that and never had an issue. In fact I just use snipped edges of cotton during rewicking to stuff it and that is more than enough until next re wicking. No need for any modifications.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread