Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirgon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2011
Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
Made one today and they're awful.

Running @ 8 watts, the metal on the outside of the carto gets very hot, causing the rubber to burn and spoil the juice and carto. Tasted like licking asphalt at a drag strip.

I wish someone would make an affordable, quality tank with good seals and tubing that isn't awful. Polycarbonate has been known forever to disintegrate with certain liquids, yet vendors continue to use it when syringe plastic (polypropylene?) is nonreactive to practically everything.

Anyone find heat-resistant seals that work on these 20cc syringes yet?

poolslime

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2011
Colorado
That should work very good and if I went into production I would buy one. For me I will stick with my Saddle Valve it does the same thing and much cheaper to buy.
For that price, you could buy at least 6 saddle valves and have friends over to help punch cartos for production and be done in a fraction of the time. :p

poolslime

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2011
Colorado
Made one today and they're awful.

Running @ 8 watts, the metal on the outside of the carto gets very hot, causing the rubber to burn and spoil the juice and carto. Tasted like licking asphalt at a drag strip.

I wish someone would make an affordable, quality tank with good seals and tubing that isn't awful. Polycarbonate has been known forever to disintegrate with certain liquids, yet vendors continue to use it when syringe plastic (polypropylene?) is nonreactive to practically everything.

Anyone find heat-resistant seals that work on these 20cc syringes yet?
Out of curiosity, what brand of syringe did you use? I've made mine with Ideal syringes and vape heavily at around 8 watts without that issue using a single coil carto. Are you using a dual coil carto by chance? I've also made tanks for the 2 ohm DCC Smoktech cartos running at 5V without any issue, but I also tend to not vape on them as much since they do get hotter.

wyojoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2011
Wyoming
I use a 1.7ohm carto in my syringe tanks and have never had a problem with them getting so hot that it bothered anything. And have also used the DC carto's and they worked very well too, but it does use up the battery quicker of course. I am using the same syringe tank that I made 2 months ago and still works great and makes my carto's last a whole lot longer than using them without the tank. I use my tank with a 14650 1050mAh battery in a X-power or a eGo battery if that helps any.

Last edited:

Dirgon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2011
Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
Out of curiosity, what brand of syringe did you use? I've made mine with Ideal syringes and vape heavily at around 8 watts without that issue using a single coil carto. Are you using a dual coil carto by chance? I've also made tanks for the 2 ohm DCC Smoktech cartos running at 5V without any issue, but I also tend to not vape on them as much since they do get hotter.

Ideal Instruments 20ml "For Veterinary Use Only" syringes. Exact same ones shown in the video and discussesd elsewhere in this thread. 2.1 ohm 801 fusion carto.

I cracked a new syringe and the plungers actually stink brand new, and are coated with some sort of oil. Purchased these at Tractor Supply Company, off a recommendation earlier in the thread. The nearest Rural King was 10 more minutes away and only had 2 in stock, so I pushed my luck at TSC first. However they don't smell like burning tires until a few minutes of vaping, so they're definitely burning.

I might have just gotten awful syringes. Thinking about ordering some 5/8 in vinyl grommets and o-rings and using them instead. (the 20cc syringes seem to be ~ 19mm or 3/4th inches in inside diameter)

I want this to work because I want to vape wintergreen in a tank. =\

poolslime

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2011
Colorado
Ideal Instruments 20ml "For Veterinary Use Only" syringes. Exact same ones shown in the video and discussesd elsewhere in this thread. 2.1 ohm 801 fusion carto.

I cracked a new syringe and the plungers actually stink brand new, and are coated with some sort of oil. Purchased these at Tractor Supply Company, off a recommendation earlier in the thread. The nearest Rural King was 10 more minutes away and only had 2 in stock, so I pushed my luck at TSC first. However they don't smell like burning tires until a few minutes of vaping, so they're definitely burning.

I might have just gotten awful syringes. Thinking about ordering some 5/8 in vinyl grommets and o-rings and using them instead. (the 20cc syringes seem to be ~ 19mm or 3/4th inches in inside diameter)

I want this to work because I want to vape wintergreen in a tank. =\
All 3 piece syringes (barrel, piston, and gasket) use medical grade silicone oil that is lightly sprayed inside the barrel during the manufacturing process so that the gasket doesn't stick to the sides when operating. Of all the syringes I've taken apart, I don't actually feel the oil as if it were saturated. None of my gaskets have a stench either. Something seems suspect with those syringes.

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Albemarle, North Carolina
I thought I would bump this back up to the top.. I don't know if this link has been posted in this thread.. don't have time to read the whole thing. I found syringes at an animal site.. they are the ideal brand that everyone is using.. they are selling for .55 each and free shipping. Pretty good deal. I've heard a lot of good things about these syringe tanks. I'm going to drill fill holes in mine. (after I wash them)

idens102.jpg

Frick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2011
Ohio
I thought I would bump this back up to the top.. I don't know if this link has been posted in this thread.. don't have time to read the whole thing. I found syringes at an animal site.. they are the ideal brand that everyone is using.. they are selling for .55 each and free shipping. Pretty good deal. I've heard a lot of good things about these syringe tanks. I'm going to drill fill holes in mine. (after I wash them)

It seems like it's free shipping, but they charge (I believe) $4.99 "handling" fee or some such.

It's in this thread, several pages back. Did you order yet?

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
It seems like it's free shipping, but they charge (I believe) $4.99 "handling" fee or some such.

It's in this thread, several pages back. Did you order yet?

No.. my local TS had boxes of 4 syringes for $3.99, and plenty of them. With the site above, I even put some in my cart and went all the way through checkout to see if it would charge shipping and it never did. maybe I didn't go far enough but if you don't have a TS near, $5 isn't a bad price for shipping, especially when the syringes are .55 each.

I don't know if I'll be using the syringe tanks though, I just posted that I'm getting a very odd taste from them. I washed all the parts but I'm still getting a machine oil taste with two that I've put together and used. Other than the taste, they work so perfect! I've done a search and haven't seen anything else like this other than what's been said above about them coming with a lubricant on them. I figured washing would take care of it since so many are using this with no complaints. Mine aren't getting hot and burning like the above post, just the oil taste after the juice has been in the tank for a little while.

edit: I just read through some of this thread and see where a couple have posted about this taste.. it does taste like licking asphalt. Maybe it's just me (or us) that are able to taste this. My juice is diy, nothing but nic, pg, vg, capp vanilla custard, FA cookie and a drop of sweetener.

Last edited:

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
Animal Health Express does charge 4.95 for handling (at least for me it does). Still not a bad deal. I have a Tractor Supply in town, but they are often out of the 20 ml syringes, and the Animal Health Express was one of the cheapest I found online even with the handling fee.

AHE checkout.jpg

I don't know about the weird taste. I've heard that on the boards a few times, but I've never experienced it with the Ideal syringes. I wonder if there is a particular juice ingredient that does something to the plungers in some cases?

oplholik

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
San Bernardino area, So. Cal.
I haven't seen anywhere, where that's been tried. Seems like it would be difficult to get a decent looking end cap this way, for most of us DIY'rs. Course my knowledge on this sort of thing is nill, so I could be wrong.

did anyone try to get a silicone mold of the liquinator tank ends/other better tank ends, and just set a silicone mold so you can have homemade plastic end caps? casted from resin

asnider123

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2010
The Original ModFather, USA
did anyone try to get a silicone mold of the liquinator tank ends/other better tank ends, and just set a silicone mold so you can have homemade plastic end caps? casted from resin

I don't know, but bet Vaporescence may get upset if you duplicate the caps they designed IMHO ??????

colossalK

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2012
NJ
I don't know, but bet Vaporescence may get upset if you duplicate the caps they designed IMHO ??????

Well I thought about that and decided that you would be using the syringe rubber thing you use for the end caps, just dipped them into some sort of mold with resin and let it harden then you could have a removable cap, without using vaporscence's product. I was just using it more or less as an example, I should have clarified my thoughts clearer.

Also it not like I'm selling them to anyone if i did. People resin cast stuff in their home all the time its not like you can control what people do with your products in the end, I'm in no way condoning duplicating it exactly, I was asking if people have done it.

Last edited:

groundedcontrol

Verified Member
Feb 20, 2012
Alamogordo, NM
Saw several YouTube vids, recommending the TS ideal 20mm tanks.theywere fine for a few hours, but the rubber taste is starting to rear its ugly head. I taste it but my wife doesn't. I'm now rummaging for empty bottles to drain them into while she still finds the flavor tolerable.

Just wanted to add another voice to the "tastes like asphalt" chorus.

Well, That's over 11ml of wasted liquid, if I can't find something to empty them into soon, not to mention the pipe cutter, saddle valve, cartos, 10-32 tap bit, and thumb screws (and grinder bits to shorten them) I purchased. I thought I was so ingenious for thinking to add a fill port, but now I see I'm not the first. Could have gotten three tanks, but with all this sunk cost I'm committed to getting a good solution for end caps. I'll be checking back frequently, and I'll post again if I find a solution.

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Saw several YouTube vids, recommending the TS ideal 20mm tanks.theywere fine for a few hours, but the rubber taste is starting to rear its ugly head. I taste it but my wife doesn't. I'm now rummaging for empty bottles to drain them into while she still finds the flavor tolerable.

Just wanted to add another voice to the "tastes like asphalt" chorus.

Well, That's over 11ml of wasted liquid, if I can't find something to empty them into soon, not to mention the pipe cutter, saddle valve, cartos, 10-32 tap bit, and thumb screws (and grinder bits to shorten them) I purchased. I thought I was so ingenious for thinking to add a fill port, but now I see I'm not the first. Could have gotten three tanks, but with all this sunk cost I'm committed to getting a good solution for end caps. I'll be checking back frequently, and I'll post again if I find a solution.

I bought these vinyl grommets at Amazon. No rubber taste at all and they work pretty good with danco brand o-rings size #8 from Lowes around the grooves in the grommets. I made some of the homemade syringe tanks and used the Ideal industries brand syringes from tractor supply and the rubber taste was VERY noticable after a couple hours. It was awful! Totally unvapable! BUT.. I did get some medical syringes from work (I work at a hospital) the 20cc size and used the plungers from those syringes and didn't get the rubber taste at all. I still used the plastic tube part from the ideal brand syringes, so don't throw the tubes away, you can still use them, it's the rubber plungers that stink. The medical syringe plungers are thinner than the vet syringes but they do work well.

If you do decided to buy some instead of making them.. here are some that are pretty inexpensive and work good also. They also come in pretty colors for a few dollars more.

The tubing from amazon will cost you $10 plus shipping and the grommets about the same.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread