How do you fix bad USB Pass Throughs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eskimoroll

ECF Veteran
Feb 1, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
The reason I want it is that plugging it directly into the USB tends to give more voltage then normal and atomizers aren't fond of it.

Actually to offer a counter argument, many of us modders have found that atomizers actually like the higher voltages since it does a better job at vaporizing the liquid residue that tends to clog atomizers. A standard e-cig runs on 3.6v, the usb passthroughs put out 5v, and magnum mods put out 6v. At higher voltages, you definitely have to keep the atomizer wet and it does burn much more liquid, but the vape is infinitely more satisfying.

wanderlust

ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2009
North Carolina, USA
Sorry TAZ can't help much but it sounds like a short somewhere in the tiny wires of the passthrough. In an unrelated note to answer my earlier question I received a passthrough battery from jantyusa this am and it is ICR10440 360 mAH, not the same as what I used during the interim. The 10430 360mAH worked but did not seem to charge properly. Hope someone finds this useful.

Khandurian

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2009
Cocoa Beach Florida Baby!
I have a pass through without the inline battery and the whole thing gets hot when I attach an atomizer. I think I felt a tiny shock at the ash cover. Have any ideas as to the problem.

The higher voltages give a better vape than regular batterys .

I know exactly what that problem is thats giving you the "tiny shock" when your lips go past the plastic and touch the metal.

Your not going to like my answer, but I know it's true because I have the same problem. I know how to fix it, but I cannot afford to fix it.

My house was built in 1955. Ya, it's older than I am but not by much. When the house was built, electrical codes back then were definately not as strict as they are now. Therefore, in my outlets, I have no ground wire. Some electricians call that a "floating ground". Also in some of my outlets, I have found the neutral wire actually tied to the grounding tab! UGH! (I have fixed these already myself)

Solutions:

1. You could try temporarily taking your computer off of that surge protector and plugging it directly into the wall.
2. Replace your surge protector, it has a ground fault.
3. Vape using your laptop if you have one, however it will quickly drain your battery.
4. Have that outlet inspected/rewired by a qualified electrician.

Mr Mojorisin

Mar 14, 2009
Baltimore, MD
I was having the problem of my pass-thru working intermitantly on my DELL Inspiron. It would always work the first puff then stop working.

I went into the power management advanced settings and turned the USB power management off. Ever since my pass-thru works everytime.

I think the software was detecting a heavy load and scaling back the power supply. Can't say for sure but it works everytime now.

Khandurian

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2009
Cocoa Beach Florida Baby!
It does the same thing on the battery pack.

OOPS! If you said that before I missed it sorry. Ok, since it's doing it on your battery pack, you have a loose ground wire or failed capacitor &/or resistor on the pc board inside.

I doubt its still under warranty, if it is see if you can send it back. If not, rebuild it. Only problem is you may have to rebuild it with a push button switch and remove the internal pc board.

I haven't seen one of these open up yet, so I am not quite sure whats inside them.

hummosa

Sep 13, 2008
The wiring failed today :( bummer.
But much before that I recurrently had the problem of the juice creeping into the USB passthrough and clogging the switch. I had to at least three times just rinse the thing in water. Just give it a good shake in preferably hot water and then let it dry out a day or two just to be sure.
Worked like a charm.

Thanks for the idea about fixing the wire to the battery. I'll try that on my next one.

cucurucho

ECF Veteran
I'm having problems with my 901 passthrough too... it's definitely not a power or wiring issue, as I tested it with the old 9v battery style tongue test. So it seems the connection isn't being made when it's screwed on. A little drop of solder should fix it, I may have to go out and get me a soldering iron.

Sounds like you might wanna give that team member a prod to start a little repair racket... :evil:

mine finally broke last night :( luckily i have a team member here that is amazing with electronics. she gutted the battery and noticed that the soldering job was crap, but considering how thin the wire is it's not surprising. Also a switch was added as she pointed out that the reed switch will fail eventually.

she also gave me some removable heat sinks to wrap around the atomizer to keep it cool.

mikalares

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2009
Kentucky USA
This more a suggestion to keep them from breaking than it is a way to fix them. I'm not one that could fix anything like this myself, but here's the way I sport my penstyle with pass-through.

First I bought one of those neckchains for eyeglasses. 89 Eyeglass Cords - Eyeglass Chains & Cords - Peepers Fun Reading Glasses. Hundreds of styles of designer reading glasses, reading sunglasses, Bifocal sunglasses, rhinestone reading glasses, and colorful eyeglass chains and cases. I found a plain black cord and my more feminine roommate has a beaded one. Just stretch the rubber tips at the end over the pass-through battery. Then I got a little shirt clip, the type used to secure things like excess headphone wire. Shirt Clip I use a portable power pack that goes in my pocket and I use the shirt clip to clip a section of the cord slightly above where the PV hangs around my neck. This way if anything catches the rest of the cord, it's not the end of the pass-through wire going into the battery that gets tugged, it's the clip. The idea is to keep strain off the delicate connection between the wire and the end of the battery.

mpetva

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2009
Virginia
My DSE801 USB Pass-Through died today after working great for the last 2 weeks since I got it. When I plug it into the USB it blinks 3 times and thats all she wrote. It does not heat up. Any ideas?

I use this thing all day long so it is vital that I figure out what is wrong. Replacement is in the mail already but it will be 3-5 days.

How do I get the whole thing out of its tube?

I took of the cap with the cord and the wires looks attached, but I can't figure out how to get it out of the tube. It must be glued in or something and I don't want to break it more pulling it out by the wire/cap.

If it is just a wire loose, I can probably manage to solder it I think, but I have to get the guts out of its tube first without breaking it to see if it is wire problem, LOL.

Also, any pictures of how to solder on the on/off switch??? That would help greatly.

Thanks in advance!!!

PS: Exactly what kind of on/off switch would I need to buy & where? On line link anyone?

Last edited:

virraszto

Apr 22, 2009
SE Michigan
I bought my passthroughs ( 801,901) from bestecig.com. I've been using the 901 for about a month now with a Kensington power pack. I've had no problems whatsoever with it, but I was wondering how long it will last? I think I'm going to order a few more of them to keep on hand.

Now that I've opened my big mouth, how much you wanna bet that my passthrough breaks now?:-x

marie310

Oct 28, 2009
Madison, WI
Bought a Puresmoker USB Passthrough about a month ago and after it working every time with no problems I have had to move it around in different positions to make it work. Uggh. I am getting light headed from simply sucking on air trying to get it to work. :( I have it connected to my laptop but don't think that is the problem..or maybe it is? Seems to me it is either wires or button..leaning more towards wires not connecting. Very frustrating as this is my favorite...thought it was durable and have been doing exactly as instructions stated in care and use.

Can_supplier

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2009
Canada
I can't start a new thread yet so pardon for slightly off topic.

My new passthrough SHOCKS me! No joke I can feel the small electrical charge on my lip when I hit it. Anybody else experienced this? Any fix for it?

That would be a burn sensation from the nicotine.

The cart that you mouth contacts is plastic and non conductive, so unless your PT is covered in something conductive like liquid (I'd suggest you wipe it off if that wasn't obvious) it is impossible that you are being shocked that way.

e-juice/nicotine can chap your lips. Chapstick is the answer.

d21

Feb 27, 2010
Eastern US
That would be a burn sensation from the nicotine.

The cart that you mouth contacts is plastic and non conductive, so unless your PT is covered in something conductive like liquid (I'd suggest you wipe it off if that wasn't obvious) it is impossible that you are being shocked that way.

e-juice/nicotine can chap your lips. Chapstick is the answer.

No, Im pretty sure its an electric shock when my lip touches the metal of the atomizer casing. It only happens on the passthrough, not my 510s. It may be a bit of liquid leaking out and conducting a small charge from the atomizer. Either way I know it's not just a "burn sensation from the nicotine". Thanks for the reply though.

I have a rather dense question. Do the USB passthroughs require a 2.0 USB port? Or is 1.0 OK? I've noticed that when I plug(ed) my E9 passthrough in my car it wouldn't put out the same vapor as when it was plugged into my computer, but I can charge other devices on the car port just fine (Kindle, cell phone, ect).

I say plugged and not plug because the E9 passthrough recently decided to stop working... when plugged in it will blink twice then do absolutely nothing despite new atomizers/cleaning/confessions of love. Any insight would be much appreciated...

schaedj

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2009
The 'Burgh
I have a rather dense question. Do the USB passthroughs require a 2.0 USB port? Or is 1.0 OK? I've noticed that when I plug(ed) my E9 passthrough in my car it wouldn't put out the same vapor as when it was plugged into my computer, but I can charge other devices on the car port just fine (Kindle, cell phone, ect).

USB P/Ts require more current than most USB devices. You need to find a USB adapter for your car that puts out 1000mA (1A). Most Auto adapters (single or dual port) are restricted to 500mA, which isn't enough to heat up the coil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread