How do you fix bad USB Pass Throughs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

schaedj

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2009
The 'Burgh
I've had all sorts of problems with my M401 passthroughs. I bought a bulk order of 10, and I only have two left. Seems that dripping / refilling the carts lets the liquid seep through the atomizer and shorts out (or clogs?)the microphone switch. I'm looking to mod one of the broken ones if I can get it apart without destroying the connector and put in a manual switch, then plugging the center hole to prevent seepage. Unfortunately, I get frustrated when working with these little gadgets (something to do with lack of nicotine) and I end up brute forcing them into non-existence :mad:(unless you count the pile of metal shavings and wires).

schaedj

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2009
The 'Burgh
No, Im pretty sure its an electric shock when my lip touches the metal of the atomizer casing. It only happens on the passthrough, not my 510s. It may be a bit of liquid leaking out and conducting a small charge from the atomizer. Either way I know it's not just a "burn sensation from the nicotine". Thanks for the reply though.

Probably bad insulation on the return wire inside the passthrough is energizing the case. 5V is enough to give you a minor shock if it comes in contact with liquid on skin (wet lips). Wrap the atty in electrical tape or pull it further out of your mouth, unless you want to pitch the passthrough.

d21

Feb 27, 2010
Eastern US
Probably bad insulation on the return wire inside the passthrough is energizing the case. 5V is enough to give you a minor shock if it comes in contact with liquid on skin (wet lips). Wrap the atty in electrical tape or pull it further out of your mouth, unless you want to pitch the passthrough.

Thanks for the reply. I tend to hold the passthru in my teeth while Im typing (like right now), so my lips do touch the metal sometimes. I have big lips lol. Ill try the electrical tape and see if that helps.

mrgodai

Sep 4, 2010
FL, usa
USB P/Ts require more current than most USB devices. You need to find a USB adapter for your car that puts out 1000mA (1A). Most Auto adapters (single or dual port) are restricted to 500mA, which isn't enough to heat up the coil.

my V4L passthrough works with any PC i attached to, but it definitely works better when i connect to my car usb adapter. Sadly, i'm getting the wiring falling apart problem

Last edited:

djbeckett

ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
DALLAS, TEXAS
dallastexas.ezhoster.com
I JUST FIXED A CHEAP RN4081 PASSTHROUGH!!!!!
Pull on the rubber end stopper (it's pressed in) to expose the switch assembly. The assembly is in caps, simply separate the caps to expose the switch assy. I needed a magnifying glass, but I could see a tiny rubber/plastic tube with a wire through one end. I started prodding it with a paperclip. I soon saw the tiny tube "recoil" into a hole. I GET IT!!! When you draw on the unit it pulls the tube towards you. The wires make contact with the metal contacts: ELECTRICITY!!! Of course, I gently pulled on all wires making sure they were connected.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread