How do you fix bad USB Pass Throughs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just learning electronics... seems to be my new addiction in more ways than one. lol

the cord from my passthrough only had two wires... easy enough.
the red being the positive or "supply" and the black is the negative "ground"

the diagram looks like this

-------------red wire-----------------------------------------usb

-----------cut black wire--------[switch]-------black wire---- usb

the red wire went straight to the original solder point in the center of the atomizer connector. no cutting.

the black wire needs to be cut. give yourself about the length of the tube or so and cut. strip the ends. tin them up.

solder the wire from the usb side to one leg of the switch.

the previously cut wire will be soldered in two places: the other leg of the switch, and the outside (already existing solder point) of the connector to your atomizer.

plug it in. push the switch. awesome vapor.

Hope that helps....

Last edited:
I took apart one of my dead soldiers and couldn't find any connection problems, maybe someone can tell?

Under the cap, there is some sort of wire clamp that appears to keep the wire from getting yanked out as seen in the first picture.

The second one shows the connection on the chip and all looks well on that too.

I will admit that I am pretty tough on these things. I usually have the battery pack in a pocket with the pen in the other, which leaves a looped wire hanging down to catch on everything. There has been numerous time where I was dragging my pen on the ground after the wire caught on something and ripped it out of my pocket. I have since put a small loop on both ends and taped it to alleviate any pressure on the ends when I rip it out of my pocket.

I'm on my 4th passthrough since January and have 2 more on the way. This is the most expensive part of my habit. If I can solve this, I would feel much better.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

-Paul

IMG_0683-600x450.jpg

IMG_0687-600x450.jpg

Di

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 30, 2008
*Australia*
I broke the wire on mine, so I had some -
curly cords with usb connectors made,
they are great,
heavy duty and lovely stetchy, no more tangles,
looks just like a phone cord, only shiny silver,
these cords will last forever.....
I do have some good ideas sometimes .......

over the weekend I will get around to the tidyup, -
shortening the original cord back to about 1 inch.

Di ......

eskimoroll

ECF Veteran
Feb 1, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
I took apart one of my dead soldiers and couldn't find any connection problems, maybe someone can tell?

Under the cap, there is some sort of wire clamp that appears to keep the wire from getting yanked out as seen in the first picture.

The second one shows the connection on the chip and all looks well on that too.

I will admit that I am pretty tough on these things. I usually have the battery pack in a pocket with the pen in the other, which leaves a looped wire hanging down to catch on everything. There has been numerous time where I was dragging my pen on the ground after the wire caught on something and ripped it out of my pocket. I have since put a small loop on both ends and taped it to alleviate any pressure on the ends when I rip it out of my pocket.

I'm on my 4th passthrough since January and have 2 more on the way. This is the most expensive part of my habit. If I can solve this, I would feel much better.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

-Paul

IMG_0683-600x450.jpg

IMG_0687-600x450.jpg

For me, it was the auto switch which failed on my puresmoker 901 passthrough. I've since made a few usb passthroughs myself with manual switches and I don't think I'll ever go back. I definitely recommend going that route.

Walrus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
Baton Rouge, LA
This isn't boding well for my pending delivery. I wish I'd found this thread before placing the order. I haven't had a problem with the 901 pass-through I bought from Vapor Guys, and when I switched to a pen-style I immediately ordered this from Puresmoker.

If one wanted to build a pass-through from scratch, does anyone know what the resistance and power requirements are?

Chuffer

ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2008
New York State
It's certainly frustrating that the e-cig hardware remains an inherently dicey business. I guess I got lucky, but I have to say I've been using a USB 901 passthrough from Puresmoker for the past five weeks without a problem. The orig. att died today, though. And when I say using, I mean all day at work, just flat-out waling on it! Abusively! I was surprised and pleased as to how it's held up. If the whole thing died today, I'd be saddened but I couldn't think I'd been ripped off by any means. My only quibble is that the vapor, while voluminous, wasn't quite as hot or "hitty" as some of my other devices. But the thing was definitely a useful and well-used trouper.

But am I making a recommendation? Oh, no, not in this game. Puresmoker doesn't make 'em, some assembly line in China does, and the next batch may have defective ones. I'd order another one though, knowing of course it's a bit of a roulette wheel spin...

bri1270

ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2009
Massachusetts - USA
I tell you, with what I have spent on these things, I wouldn't mind paying someone twice that amount to make me one that would last.

I'm not an electronics guy, so I don't have the know how to do it, any takers????????????????

I'm with you 100%. I would certainly pay more for better products that last longer.

So, another one dies on me!

The first thing I did when it came in the mail was this to both ends:

passthrough-600x450.jpg

I will get one hit after I plug it in and if I wait a few minutes, I may get another draw.

I guess I will just have to get the DSE 901 and try to make one of those tire valve ones until the passtrhough technology gets worked out.

Jimbob

Sep 11, 2008
The thing about these that is so sweet is no more crappy batteries to buy, and there really isn't much to break... the circuit inside should last almost forever... well except the wiring but that is easily soldered.

Anyone know where we can get a good USB passthru for the RN4081 that has a battery safety (like the Janty USB)? I see puresmoker.com has them, but no battery safety. The reason I want it is that plugging it directly into the USB tends to give more voltage then normal and atomizers aren't fond of it. But Janty was smart and added that extra little battery compartment to fix that issue.
So has any company professionally made one for the RN4081 though? I got one rigged, but talk about U-G-L-Y! :)

Gravity_Tester

Verified Member
Mar 10, 2009
Mesa
I messed around with where the wire was-different angles, tensions and whatnot, and when I found a spot that worked, I had my darling wife tape the wire into position. A bit more tweaking and I haven't had a problem since. Gotta figure the stuff's made in China, so there are bound to be QC issues (I had a battery that pulled the whole micro-switch out of the battery body simply because I tried to unscrew it from the charger. Had another where the glue failed while I was trying to unscrew the battery from the atomizer-2 dead batts in 3 days. **** happens). Don't be afraid to mess with it a bit, and make sure your supplier is good on customer service...

GT

(I just wish The Smoke Safe was close enough to drive to)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread