How does one explain vaping to non-smokers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tckenno

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2015
N. Michigan
I would like to be able to explain vaping simply, accurately, and portray it in the best possible light when questioned by folks unfamiliar with it. Realized I hadn't done a good job recently when someone left with impression I was smoking flavored vegetable oil. First impressions are important as is good PR. If there is an existing thread on this topic would appreciate a point in its direction.

Reactions: WillyZee

Gothicmace59

ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2015
Henry County Georgia
I simply show them how it works and explain there is no combustion going on but rather fluid being heated to create a water vapor. Since I usually vape berry flavored juice they always comment on how nice it smells. I also explain that unlike cigarettes. ..we have no second hand vape issues.

Rizzyking

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2013
East Midlands, United Kingdom
In my experience never tell them it's water vapour it isn't and there are quite a few aware that it isn't and once they have you on that nothing else you say will register or be taken seriously. Most people just assume second hand vapour is akin to second hand smoke and many concerns are based round that once you tell them it's safe and to research it not just take your word for it minds open enough to give you a chance.

tckenno

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2015
N. Michigan
"Most people just assume second hand vapour is akin to second hand smoke and many concerns are based round that once you tell them it's safe and to research it not just take your word for it minds open enough to give you a chance."

And by them giving you a chance, it gives all the vapers they cross paths with after a better chance as well.

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
Carefully. I try to read the person and not to overwhelm them. Then it is just my story. It has been over two years and I don't get near as many urges and the physical habit has drifted. Sure, when me and my wife sit on the sofa watching TV in the evening, she eats a piece of apple pie. Because I am diabetic, I can't, but I can vape it. AND for ZERO calories. :)

NancyR

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Washington State
Honestly it depends on the mood I am in when asked and who is asking. You can get some cards from CASAA that you can give them, if you have a smart phone you can even offer to email them links to CASAA and or other sites that will answer any questions they may have when they have the time too look.

If in a bad mood or I just don't like the person, my reply is closer to without this and the nic it gives me you might not be standing right now.

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas
I would like to be able to explain vaping simply, accurately, and portray it in the best possible light when questioned by folks unfamiliar with it. Realized I hadn't done a good job recently when someone left with impression I was smoking flavored vegetable oil. First impressions are important as is good PR. If there is an existing thread on this topic would appreciate a point in its direction.
I tell them it's HERO-N. It's a conversation ender.

Reactions: Bad Ninja

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
Here is how I would do it.

In a cigarette you are inhaling. About 7,000 toxins tar, formalde, carbon monoxide, potassium nitrate, butane vapors, nicotine.

In ejuice there are only four chemicals.

Flavor
Nicotine
Propylene glycol PG
Vegetable Glycerin VG

PG is used in flavor extracts, ice cream, and asthma inhalers.

VG is used as a sweetener , in wine industry, as a preservative, in hand lotion, etc.

ECigs work with a wick inside a coil. The wick brings ejuice into the coil. A battery supplies current to the coil that heats the ejuice creating vapor not smoke.

Vaping makes it much easier to get off nicotine than gums, patches, and many other smoking cessation products.

Most smoking cessation only replaces the nicotine.

Vaping is the complete package. Gives nicotine you crave. Avoiding the carbon monoxide, tar, potassium nitrate, etc.

The vapor feels as if you are smoking.

The puffing on an eCig reinforces the muscle memory of bringing the cigarette to the lips.

With different strengths in ejuice I can gradually reduce the amount of nicotine until I an free of the craving.

eCigs have been a Godsend for those of us wanting to quit.

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
In my experience never tell them it's water vapour it isn't and there are quite a few aware that it isn't and once they have you on that nothing else you say will register or be taken seriously
It's mostly water vapor. PG and VG are hygroscopic. They absorb water relative to
the humidity in the air. Most juice has water added to maintain a consistent viscosity
or desired vaping characteristic.It's the transitional phase of water transforming into
gas when heated that atomizes the base liquid into the vapor we see. By the time you
exhale its 40 to 60% water. Technically it's true that it's not just water but,there is
more water in your juice than you think even if you do not add any when you DIY.
:2c:
Regards
Mike

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
I just tell them, It's a way for me to smoke without the bad stuff of actually smoking tobacco. I tell them that studies show it to be UP to 90% safer way to smoke and saves me some money at the same time. What I DON'T do is try to convince them it is NOT the same as smoking, because it IS, or that it is SAFE. Just that it is safer and cheaper.

Reactions: tckenno

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
What I DON'T do is try to convince them it is NOT the same as smoking, because it IS, or that it is SAFE.
It is not smoking. Tell your friends and anyone who ask's. It's not smoking.
The whole point of vaping and what makes it really safe to the point it doesn't
mater is the fact that it is not smoking.
So keep on not smoking and pass the word.
Regards
Mike

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago

toy cigarette; makes fog instead of smoke

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
It is not smoking. Tell your friends and anyone who ask's. It's not smoking.
The whole point of vaping and what makes it really safe to the point it doesn't
mater is the fact that it is not smoking.
So keep on not smoking and pass the word.
Regards
Mike

You're right, it's not technically smoking, as there is no cumbustion or smoke happening.... BUT, it sure looks and, too me, feels like smoking. You might be a vaper who no longer smokes. I am a Smoker, who vapes, instead of smoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread