How is vaping in public recieved in your country/area?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AkiraFZ

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2016
Tokyo, Japan
I buy online from some Greek retailers, but haven't gone to physical shops since our very first starter kit. There isn't one very close by me that makes it very convenient, otherwise I would at least check them out. I also buy hardware from China, and the UK. I buy flavors mostly from the UK and Germany but also from Greek online shops (but they are more expensive, and with fewer options).

Also, we have to comply with TPD regulations, so e liquid is only sold in 10 ml bottles now, and no atomizers that hold over 2 ml (though I occasionally see them in the online shops, so who knows?). I think there are some other country-specific regulations that aren't being strictly enforced (at the moment, anyway).

Goverment is fickle; you never know when they are going to decide to be strict and punitive, or relaxed and lenient. The attitude of the general population here is accepting, in all that I've seen, and vaping is not viewed as "bad," weird, or strange by most people. We do have many top hardware innovators (making collectible, high quality items) here in Greece, and also Dr. Farsalinos, for example, who has been a research advocate of reasonable vaping on the science side, so it's intrinsically a pretty vape-friendly / vape-forward place, I'd say -- as much as possible within the existing EU regulations.
It is good to hear that the people are vape-friendly. TPD is there but I still think Greece is a good model of vaping environment.
Here in Japan, other smokers give me ridiculous kind of look, producing ten time more cloud iQOS does.:D I am only vaping 16w plain single coil:)

AkiraFZ

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2016
Tokyo, Japan
Thanks for posting this. I'll pass your experience with IQOS along to others. Most around here have not heard of this alternative. I haven't mentioned due to lack of info.
Very interesting to hear about someone's experience switching from IQOS to strictly vaping. Thank you for sharing it AkiraFZ. That was a great review/food for thought....

Anna
I forgot to mention another reason why I stop using iQOS. Simply put it's troublesome.:D

You remove the holder from the battery charger, take out a heat stick from a packet, insert the stick into the holder, turn on the switch on the holder, wait for one minute to heat up, and you start to smoke. You can only puff 14 times or 6 minutes whichever comes first. I always want good amount of nicotine in a short break between meetings which is only 5 to 10 minutes. I sometimes felt those 14 puffs were not enough so I tried to smoke another one. Then I have to take out the stick from the holder, trash the stick, insert the holder into the charger, wait for 6 minutes to recharge, and start the first routine all over again.:( My short break was not enough for me to satisfy my nicotine needs. When I was out of office, one stick gave me enough satisfaction. So that could be only me feeling hassle.

Whereas vape, you can vape as much as you want with just turning on the mod.
See the deference?:)

RWA1997

Aug 14, 2017
I live in the Netherlands and public opinions differ. Older people are usually set in their ways and bigoted towards vaping. They don't want to even hear the reply. Younger people like myself either think it's weird, accept it or call me gay for vaping. Little children sometimes think i'm a dragon. At my college the janitor came up to me: he said that people where talking to him about the 'weird guy trying to be cool with his clouds'. Luckily the janitor told them about e-cigs. Still though, it was sad to hear that instead of coming to me and getting a nice response, they just judge me. This is the case with most smokers here and they won't even consider vaping because they either care too much what others will think or are just too set in their ways.

For the rest the official laws are pretty normal and lax. The only restrictions are buying (not using) tanks that exceed 2ml capacity and bottles that exceed 10ml capacity. Ordering bigger online or making your own juice in bigger bottles doesn't matter. I make my own juice and put it in 30ml bottles. I can fill my tank in front of a police officer and he will not care :)

I am still scared that laws will change either here or in Germany where i order my DIY stuff because i don't think i can go back to store bought liquids, especially not price wise.

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
I live in the Netherlands and public opinions differ. Older people are usually set in their ways and bigoted towards vaping. They don't want to even hear the reply. Younger people like myself either think it's weird, accept it or call me gay for vaping. Little children sometimes think i'm a dragon. At my college the janitor came up to me: he said that people where talking to him about the 'weird guy trying to be cool with his clouds'. Luckily the janitor told them about e-cigs. Still though, it was sad to hear that instead of coming to me and getting a nice response, they just judge me. This is the case with most smokers here and they won't even consider vaping because they either care too much what others will think or are just too set in their ways.

For the rest the official laws are pretty normal and lax. The only restrictions are buying (not using) tanks that exceed 2ml capacity and bottles that exceed 10ml capacity. Ordering bigger online or making your own juice in bigger bottles doesn't matter. I make my own juice and put it in 30ml bottles. I can fill my tank in front of a police officer and he will not care :)

I am still scared that laws will change either here or in Germany where i order my DIY stuff because i don't think i can go back to store bought liquids, especially not price wise.
I've heard about those laws (mainly in the UK i think ?) but i've always wondered why did they limit tank capacity and juice bottles.... No matter how i think about it i just can't see any logical reason behind this XD

Samuel LAW

Aug 16, 2017
This is really an interesting topic, I am from Shanghai, China, though China is the main inventor and supplier of vaping gears, it is surprised to see little comments on this forum. Here in Shanghai, these years, we can see some vaping shops running on the downtown areas, but still not so much, vaping is almost treated the same as smoking in the public places. These years, the local government is making efforts to control the smoking in the public areas, the government can fine the restaurants if they have the proof of smoking. there are not too much vapers around my life. but I believe it will be popular soon since vaping is considered better and healthier.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
The only reason I can think of is that UKgov't *whomever* was worried about sub-ohm devices and the amount of juice consumed. I agree that the regulations don't make a great deal of sense, as you can buy more bottles, just larger numbers of them, and you can sub0hm a 2 ml tank, it just requires more frequent refills, though I'd imagine most sub0hm vapers have the tank they desire in any case, or are easily able to buy an extender kit.

So, it becomes just a matter of more hoops to jump through, without actually resolving the "issue" which is fine by me, as I don't think it's an issue that needs to be regulated by the government, but at least they did a poor (or, from some angles *good*) job of addressing that issue, if that is what they hope they are addressing.

I'm just speculating? I live in the US, and wasn't vaping or here, during the time those regulations were put into place. It just seems to be the only thing that would make even a semblance of sense out of it.

Anna

Reactions: AkiraFZ

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
For quality and safety I am on board with regulations. Just don't agree with classifications they are using. I may never take the dyi plunge with juices and know I won't with gear. Need someone out there to have my back.
You found the only place that you can depend on to have your back when you joined this ECF. We have done a pretty fair job of self regulating and as far as I am concerned we don't need a bunch of politicians in control. They do not have our best interest at heart. They will go whichever way the money flows.

When a bad or dangerous product hits the market you will see it discussed right here and the one that put the dangerous product out there will get called on it. Most of the incidents with batteries going boom were caused by mishandling of batteries. No regulation is going to stop someone from carrying unprotected batteries in their pocket mixed in with other metal objects.

The countries that have banned vaping are not doing it for the public's good. Just follow the money and you will see why they do what they do.

As always, just my humble opinion

AkiraFZ

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2016
Tokyo, Japan
I know I am being silly. But I wonder what they say under TPD regulation about this.
I often vape with VT inbox, squonker, with Hadaly RDA on top. The RDA has less than 2mm well and squonker has 8mm bottle inside. Can I say It's not a tank, I am just carrying the bottle inside the mod?

AkiraFZ

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2016
Tokyo, Japan

Thank you for shearing your environment. It sounds like it takes a little more time for those people to accept the new thing.

AkiraFZ

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2016
Tokyo, Japan
The countries that have banned vaping are not doing it for the public's good. Just follow the money and you will see why they do what they do.
That explains most cases. So they have to tax nic or juices somehow in the future when most smokers moving to vape. I think the Japanese government is waiting for other countries to come up with good precedent of collecting tax while we have less vapers here.

Last edited:

RWA1997

Aug 14, 2017
Thank you for shearing your environment. It sounds like it takes a little more time for those people to accept the new thing.

Indeed. It is picking up on popularity though, i see more vapers on the streets but mainly this are 40-somethings with Evods. I never see any young people and definately no higher-end gear except for people who hang out in the vape shops. I think it is more popular among older people because the novelty of smoking has worn of on them? Anyway, i am a proud vaper and won't let judgemental people stand in my way.

RWA1997

Aug 14, 2017
I've heard about those laws (mainly in the UK i think ?) but i've always wondered why did they limit tank capacity and juice bottles.... No matter how i think about it i just can't see any logical reason behind this XD

I think in a vain attempt to discourage people who are looking into vaping? I don't really know as well but this is the only explaination i can imagine. Maybe the guys in congress (who probably don't vape) think that if people can't have the biggest, fattest device that they will not vape at all. Or it could also be that they automatically link big tanks with big, battery charged devices which of course all blow up eventually.. *sigh*... so they limit the tank size so people will buy smaller devices instead of those ''suicider bombs''. A few dumb people is all it takes to set a stigma.

The small juice bottles are also linked to this i think.

muslum baba

Aug 13, 2017
That is another interesting rule. Illegal to buy but free to use. So for us as travelers, we can just bring vape gear into the country and vape where smokers do.

Yes I had no issue when I get checked at the airport in Istanbul. So you can bring your own stuff and keep using.

This is really an interesting topic, I am from Shanghai, China, though China is the main inventor and supplier of vaping gears, it is surprised to see little comments on this forum. Here in Shanghai, these years, we can see some vaping shops running on the downtown areas, but still not so much, vaping is almost treated the same as smoking in the public places. These years, the local government is making efforts to control the smoking in the public areas, the government can fine the restaurants if they have the proof of smoking. there are not too much vapers around my life. but I believe it will be popular soon since vaping is considered better and healthier.
Welcome to ecf. I have been waiting for voices from China.

AkiraFZ

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2016
Tokyo, Japan
Thank you for sharing your environment.
Shanghai is one of the biggest cities in China, am I right? The government fine the restaurants for letting someone smoke? not the person who smoked?
So you can not smoke in any restaurants in Shanghai? What about other public areas such as bars, parks, and sidewalks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread