Status
Not open for further replies.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
I have two sigelei zmaxs I bought back in 2012 I think it was. Don’t know why I bought a second one, the first one will never die. Quit using that in 2016 I believe and got a aspire Pegasus. That still works but wanted more power so I then bought a kanger Kbox 160w and here is the first hiccup. It died for no good reason after 2 months of light use. After that got a smoant battlestar and that started my love affair with smoant. The battlestar is bullet proof and performs, still working. Smoant Charon, and then Cylon. Both great and working with the cylon still getting daily use and the Charon on backup duty. Started squonking with the pico squeeze two and rage, both used daily. Those three for home and auto and giveaway wins of a wisemec p80 and pico s that I take on outdoor excursions. So I’ve had great luck with just one bust being the kbox. There was some proprietary cig-like garbage pre 2012 that I gave away and the go-go (bonus points if you remember those) cig-like that holds a special place in my heart for being the one that broke the camel’s (Camel Joe that is) back. That’s my clever way of saying I quit smoking even though I was a Marlboro man. So that’s my vaping life story in a nutshell. A pistachio ry4 nut shell. What was the question? :ohmy::yawn:o_O:)

Reactions: rosesense

RedForeman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2010
Georgia
IMO the well constructed hardware tends to be at odds to preferences, with most people favoring lightweight and small. I shopped for low maintenance and durable, so I've ended up with what most people would see as big and heavy. But they've held up well.

My daily use is a Provari P3 I bought in 2015 shortly before they went out of business. On it is a genuine Kayfun Lite+ I bought a couple years earlier. It took about 2 yrs before I broke the clear section in the KFL+, but installed the metal section that came with it and it's still making vape. It's survived a few drops, the worst being when I step out of my semi truck and forget it's in my lap. That's about an 8 foot drop to the pavement. If memory serves, the 2-3 times that's happened, it may have bounced off the step or my boot, which would have reduced any damage. That said, other than the finish being nearly rubbed off from pocket carry, the P3 still works like it did brand new. That KFL+ is the only atomizer I have, not including the box in my file drawer containing unloved eGo type B stuff and maybe a carto tank and possibly an orphan clearo I forgot to throw away. Not much that can go wrong with those KFL+, excepting an odd strike that could possibly break some threads on the 510 connector. Knock on wood, that hasn't happened. Yet.

I still have a Provari v2 that had gotten a little sketchy (the rationalization for the P3 purchase). The last few times it got dropped the top came off and I had to find the pieces and press it back together in my vice. It still mostly worked the last time I laid hands on it. I probably could have sent it in for repair, but that ship's sailed. Besides, the technology is about too obsolete to justify even that.

The backup to my backups is a Siam Cube mech mod I won in a raffle about 7 yrs ago. It's a beautiful thing made of billet and chrome, but it weighs about 5 lbs and the switch is on the end of it so a little awkward and less portable. It's not something I would have sought out, but it's a nice piece that I won't get rid of. I've taken it out time to time, and it just works. I vape low-watt MTL, so the 3.7V direct connect method is ok. I just have to be a little more careful with coil making to get it just right. The mechanical switch probably wouldn't survive a direct hit if it was ever dropped and not screwed in to the "safety" position. Otherwise, it would be like dropping a stick of metal pipe and do more harm to whatever it hits.

So none of that is cheap or counterfeit gear. Not sure if that's had anything to do with longevity, but no doubt about quality construction. I went with genuine mainly to avoid any ill-fitting parts or having to modify things to get them fully functional. That is, I just wanted to rip it out of the package and go.

The P3 will have to get unreliable before I shop for another. I've started lusting after the Dicodes Dani mini mentioned in another thread. It's gonna be a while before I pry out my credit card and order one. By that time something even more appealing will probably be on the market.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
FWIW, owning many mods and rotating them leads to longer life for all. Of course, that means spending more money up front, but if you research and buy smart, you end up with a lot of good mods that will last for years.

I rotate several mods through a day hoping to spread the vape time and make them all last longer. I also have backups that aren't used all the time. The FDA may just swoop down without notice and shut down imports or domestic sales. Maybe that won't happen, but if it does I'm ready. I remember the last time that happened.

This is an interesting article recapping the FDA's interaction with ecigs over the years. At the end of this timeline there's a link to part 2, with other links to similar accounts of FDA actions.
The FDA and Electronic Cigarettes, a Timeline Part 1

Last edited:

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
I pretty much only use mech squonk boxes. Not much to go wrong with them, and cant see them going bad anytime soon. Even if they do they are very easily fixed. I don't drop my mods very often at all, maybe 2 very minor accidental falls from a coffee table in the past year. I can see these lasting for years to come. The regulated mod that I have gets very little use and will also likely last a long time since it mostly just sets on the shelf. My wife's pulse 80w is the only mod we have that i dont have a lot of confidence in, but so far it has worked just fine.

Plutoker

Verified Member
Aug 21, 2013
Indianapolis, IN
IPV4 purchased 7/2/14. Door has a stripped screw (before magnetic doors was a thing) but still works fine. Retired.
Noisy Cricket II purchased 2/20/17. Has a little wear from a few drops but works great.
Lost Vape Therion DNA75 Squonk purchased 5/7/17 RMA'd for leaky 510 after a week. Never replaced.
Most recent purchase was a Squid Industries TAC21 I received a few weeks ago and had no issues with so far.
If I'm not using the Cricket or TAC21, I've got 2 mechs I work into the rotation which I've had for the last 4-5 years.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I had one CF 4 I dropped onto a tile floor. Bent the c frame but the tank, a Triton mini, survived just fine. Didn't even break the glass. The mod still worked but I retired it out if fear the 510 would fail as a tank on top leaned over about 15 degrees. I still have an original Pico that has to be close to 3 years old that still works just fine.

Reactions: Foggy Road

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Since my old Lavatubes and a few early eGo batts died an early death, I really have not had much trouble with mods I've bought since then.

Top marks to my first JayBo RX200 that took a few drops onto concrete, and got slathered in wood dust and machine oil too many times to count and is still going strong after a couple of good cleanings. Same for the Kbox Mini that looks like it's been through a war zone (seriously) and is still going strong after also getting a couple of cleanings. Also my first Pico 75 that I've had in service daily all day at work for well over a year, got dropped more times than I want to think about, got cleaned a few times and has been bent back into reasonably good shape a few times :cry:

Then there are a few mech mods I still have from back in the day that have served me well and are still perfectly good.

So how long does one last me ... all things considered at this point, the majority are IMO running about 1 1/4 years in use for me and are still accumulating time :)

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
27 Reos Mods. Never had one fail. Sold eight second hand, still have 19 in good working order. Two Grands are used everyday for five years and still working.
You get what you pay for.

Hey Papaw B

^^^ Yup, Reos are bullet proof ^^^
I would venture to guess that most of even the very first Reos from 2010 are still in use if the folks that have them still vape.

Have 35 Reos here. I used some of them daily for about 3.5 years, they are all still like brand new. But most of this past year I have rarely used any of them (just 1 or 2 P67's now and then). I use dual parallel battery mech squonk mods and regulated squonk mods now days when I feel like vaping.

RayofLight62

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2015
Kent - United Kingdom
Over the years, I had very few failures.
I operate a rotation of a dozen of mods, so none of them is pushed too far really.
Some mods failed after a fall on hard surface, some because of a spill of e-liquid from the tank, some by the failure of their Li-Po battery pack.

I don't use mechanical mods (and turntables and typewriters, too), and prefer large tanks to squonk mods (the precious estate inside the box is better filled with extra power or state-of-the-art electronics).

The vast majority of device failures happened to me following air travel.

So, for my last holiday, I left the Yihis, LVs and Dicodes mods at home, and brought with me some eLeaf, Juul and Smok devices with integrated batteries. Only one Fit pod died (and lost a Spryte, but that is not a failure).

And yes, it is frustrating not enjoy your best devices while vacationing, but I was fuming last year when, after landing in Italy, I realised the battery of a Sigelei J150 had puffed out, and the board of the Yihi ML class was fried.

The only brand of mods which had never failed on me, is Dicodes; but this hardly come as a surprise.

I still use daily my Atom mod from APV I have had for 4 or 5 years now is still solid and working great . I have a Serpent mini 22 on it and it is a great combination . I also have a K101 that still looks as good as the day I bought it but I just like my Atom best and the K101 has been retired .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread