Status
Not open for further replies.

P2PLeon

Toot This, Toot That, Toot Everything
ECF Veteran
  • Jul 19, 2015
    Middlesbrough,UK
    myvapingright.com
    So as most of you know I have been struggling to keep off the stinkies, and normally if I vape I vape DTL. But I have a few Sirens V2's unused, as well as an innokin Endura T20.

Now I would love to do MTL but each inhale I do is ok, until I try to kick back. Then I cough and cough.

I was just wondering WHEN WILL I BECOME ACCUSTOMED TO MTL.

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 11, 2019
    Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
    So as most of you know I have been struggling to keep off the stinkies, and normally if I vape I vape DTL. But I have a few Sirens V2's unused, as well as an Innokin Endura T20.

Now I would love to do MTL but each inhale I do is ok, until I try to kick back. Then I cough and cough.

I find, for me, and, of course, you may be different, but for me, the more deeply I try to inhale after filling the mouth, the more I absorb the vapor in the lung, and as such, less visibly exhaled cloud. The more absorbed, the more potential for irritation.

The other issue with restricting airflow is the potential for heat build up, which can cause harsher elements in juices to be more pronounced.

Sent from my XT1765 using Tapatalk

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    ...normally if I vape I vape DTL. But I have a few Sirens V2's unused, as well as an Innokin Endura T20.

I started out vaping with MTL. Over the years I've learned to do DTL exclusively. I find when I try to return to MTL draws I have to work too hard to get vapor and my cheeks hurt. That probably doesn't help you...

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Yes I am afraid that is such a subjective question, I couldn't possibly say.

I am a SHORT inhaler. I take quick, short puffs. I did that as a smoker, and I do it as a vaper. I don't think I could ever learn to do DL properly. The length of the inhale (and straight down mah throat? You nuts?)

I will admit that SOME of my older vapes which seem conducive to a longer inhale I have to actually pay attention or I will activate the"five clicks in a row will change your settings on you."

Heh. Keeps life interesting especially in the car.

Anna

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    So as most of you know I have been struggling to keep off the stinkies, and normally if I vape I vape DTL. But I have a few Sirens V2's unused, as well as an Innokin Endura T20.

Maybe never. My experience does not apply to all, so as always YMMV! But I started with MTL - despite it closely mimics smoking more than DTL, I felt it was not satisfying enough to keep me off the stinkies so adapted to what works. That said, given I do have atomizers that can dual purpose, I return to MTL every once in while to see if my perception changes. And similar to your experience, I find it irritating which does lead to coughing. And that is with low nic juice.

Nothing wrong with trying new methods. But if that method does not cut it for you, stick with what does and just accept that something else is not working. Experiment, have fun but keep an open mind that something may, or may not be your style of vaping.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand

Suggestion no 1: just do direct lung hits with your mtl atomisers. It will be very restricted lung hits, but try it.

Suggestion no 2: when I mtl - I do a huge draw into my mouth, then inhale it, then exhale it. But I do that bit the same as I would breathing air, so it's not a huge inhale.

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 11, 2019
    Yes I am afraid that is such a subjective question, I couldn't possibly say.

I am a SHORT inhaler. I take quick, short puffs. I did that as a smoker, and I do it as a vaper. I don't think I could ever learn to do DL properly. The length of the inhale (and straight down mah throat? You nuts?)

I will admit that SOME of my older vapes which seem conducive to a longer inhale I have to actually pay attention or I will activate the"five clicks in a row will change your settings on you."

Heh. Keeps life interesting especially in the car.

Anna
    Ok... So this has me confused. Am I doing it wrong? When I try MTL, on anything bigger than a pod or similar, I can't get a good, warm, tasty draw without a long draw. When I DTL, I can do a quick, not evrn to the lungs puff. How have I got it backwards?

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 24, 2013
    Hollywood (Beach), FL
    @P2PLeon, assuming your device is in good working order, have you tried to "slipstream" your draw?

IOW…to open up your pull and take in some air along with the flow. It will diffuse the vapor that's been created slightly decreasing it's temp and density. Since juice (vapor) concentration is typically high for MTL this may help. I find I can get both better production and flavor with this technique although a learning process much like playing an instrument. Consequently I've gone universally to wider bore DT's to allow better control of the flow using this method.

When I chain I use a mix starting with a straight MTL at the beginning and transitioning to DL and greater slip at the finish. You can get the precise temp, diffusion and concentration you like with some practice. As well, it allows you to tailor your draw for the device setup as well as the state of temp it's operating at especially with chaining as it's a process of warming really.

Do a search on the above term and my handle for more discussion on this.

Good luck. :)

Last edited:

charlie1465

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 30, 2014
    Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France
    Loads of of great methods here which will hopefully help...

However there is still an element of staying power in not going back to the death sticks :)

As others have said its quite unusual to go from direct to lung to mouth to lung. I don't know how you vape but maybe an in between position will help. So direct to lung but more restricted like with certain atties....the venna springs to mind. I run it with a 0.5 ohm coil and I find it a more relaxed and satisfying vape than my old 0.15 cloud chucking style.

Hope that helps :)

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 25, 2014
    toledo ohio
    There has been a lot of discussion on whether vaping makes people cough. Seems like the majority of people did, when first switching. For me, it mostly stopped when I fully quit smoking.

So that may be your first answer. Find a nic strength and vape style that satisfies your cravings so you can fully quit.

Secondly, keep trying different styles and devices to figure out what exactly is irritating you, if you continue to have issues.

It could be too warm or cool, too high nic, too much pg or vg., rather than mtl vs dl.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    sarasota,fl
    Ok... So this has me confused. Am I doing it wrong? When I try MTL, on anything bigger than a pod or similar, I can't get a good, warm, tasty draw without a long draw. When I DTL, I can do a quick, not evrn to the lungs puff. How have I got it backwards?

Must be the mtl device ,the way it's set up or the airflow. If your getting what you describe on a mtl pod, but not on a better mtl device, something's wrong. What is your "bigger then pod" device?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Eskie

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 6, 2016
    NY

If you're happy with your vape you're doing it right. There is no wrong way if it works. I can't even tell you how I take a draw. I'll go from a very DLish build to restricted DL to a tight pod and whatever I'm doing seems to work, but if I had to think through describing what steps I'm taking when I couldn't. It's just whatever feels natural to me.

When I started out sure, it was a classic mtl quick short draw. As I increased airflow with different tanks, builds, and juices, my draw changed to a slow long 4-5 second smooth draw. I still reflexively change back with a pod to a shorter draw. But if I thought about it rather than just subconsciously vaping I'd probably confuse myself.

Interesting is with my Z Biip, which is technically a mtl device, using the 0.48 ohm coil airflow fully open, if I take a long smooth draw it feels restricted DL to me, and I even get a little bit more of cloud than a pod normally offers.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    How have I got it backwards?

Nope. We just all inhale the way we do. I couldn't possibly instruct you on inhalation technique. I do tend to see DL folks have a lengthy draw but I'm sure it's not all of them.

However, if you are inhaling a long time in your MTL setup because you feel you want more vapor, you might want to try shorter inhales and just accept there will be less vapor. Because there will be less vapor. You may be inadvertently compensating or something.

Anna

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 11, 2019
    Must be the mtl device ,the way it's set up or the airflow. If your getting what you describe on a mtl pod, but not on a better mtl device, something's wrong. What is your "bigger then pod" device?

Tried on a nautilus X, as well as my dead rabbit SQ. The MTL stuff that works MTL for me is the Nord. With the Nord though, I'd hit the cutoff. With .35 Clapton's in the SQ, at 65w, I only want a 2-3 second puff at most.

Reactions: stols001

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA

You may be unconsciously hitting the vape like you did with DTL. MTL is exactly like you smoked a cigarette. Short puffs to suit your taste. If you inhale too long or too hard, you get the cough. Same with nic level that's too high.

If you are still smoking along with vaping you already have the technique down pat. You just draw on the ecig, inhale, and then exhale. If you'd rather keep the technique you used with DTL, just use the slipstream method. Just put your lips loosely around the drip tip and inhale directly, allowing air to enter between the drip tip and your lips. You can control the air/vapor mix with the tension of your lips on the drip tip.

Mouth to lung vaping can be any nicotine strength you want. Vapers who are trying to give up cigarettes with MTL usually start at 18mg to 24mg and some even higher. As you get used to the nic level and want to drop it, just buy or mix the next nic level down. I went from 24mg down to 3mg strength over a 9 month period as I reordered juice from a vendor.

Last edited:

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    sarasota,fl
    Tried on a nautilus X, as well as my dead rabbit SQ. The MTL stuff that works MTL for me is the Nord. With the Nord though, I'd hit the cutoff. With .35 Clapton's in the SQ, at 65w, I only want a 2-3 second puff at most.

I think because of your particular mtl type vape, you might only be successful with a proper mtl rebuildable rta...with those you can set it up to do what you really want. You can do a coil that hits hard and fast and because of that wont come close to the cut offs....also because you can control wicking, said coil wont be struggling.....

Ryedan

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 31, 2012
    Ontario, Canada

Well, maybe you might try switching back to DTL when you kick back :cool:

IMO, when you figure this stuff out to the point that it works for you.

I quit smoking with MTL gear back in 2012 when the hardware was basically crap compared to what we have now. What a change we've experienced since then :D . I was however very motivated to make vaping work for me, as nothing else I had previously tried to quit smoking did it for me, and I was convinced I needed to quit reasonably quickly.

We now have a lot of vape gear that works very well, and covers many different styles of vaping, IMO someone should be able to find something that works for them. Of course, vaping is not ever going to be the same as smoking. The fact that we are not burning tobacco both makes this process much healthier and also makes it an inherently different experience.

@P2PLeon, this is a personal struggle for all of us. Some make the transition easily and some struggle for quite a while. I believe if you want it bad enough, are motivated enough, you will figure it out. But you have to do the tough part, which is to figure out what works for you. We can help with advice for the details, specially the technical ones. But only you know all the little details about what you are experiencing, what nuances make the experience better or worse for you and what you are ultimately prepared to do to make it work for you.

If you really want to switch to vaping for good, dig in and make this work. Best of luck with it :thumb:

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread