How many have you converted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wrenfisher

Sep 7, 2012
Alberta
I am relatively new to vaping (5 weeks vaping, 11 days cig-free), but having so easily said goodbye to the analogues after 26 years of smoking, after having tried just about every reasonable method of quitting, and failing again and again; after watching my significant other-- who practically went REPUBLICAN when he didn't have his cigarettes-- happily (and I mean happily) quit the same day he got his first kit (a month ago), well, I truly believe these things must be a freaking miracle.

So, time to share! Spread the good word. My mom, who has smoked for 50 years, was sold the moment she tried it. (Took to it naturally, in fact.) As I type this, my SO is on Google Hangouts helping a smoker friend put together an order for his first kit. We're just getting started.

I'm pretty convinced we will be able to get every smoker we know to at least try it. If we can help even half of them quit, that would feel really damn good. (And it would give us a better record than our government, but hey, I'll rant about that in another thread.)

So we've heard about how misinformed and unreceptive people can be, how we're pigeonholed by attitudes and the system, bleah bleah bleah. Totally valid, I get it, but also kinda defeatist and depressing, frankly. What I want to know is: how many of you are out there evangelizing? What kinds of responses do you get? And how many do you figure you've helped?

conflator

ECF Veteran
Sep 5, 2012
Canada
As wrenfisher mentioned, I had a great conversation with a friend of ours.

And I was nasty when I didn't have my cigs for a few hours. Honestly, these things (PVs) were magic for me.

Anyway, our friend got really excited when I started walking him through the options explaining what little I've learned so far. The flavours! Yes, you can vape inside! And, yes, it can easily become a hobby instead of an addiction.

I'm loving turning other people on to vaping. One confirmed so far, two more prospects!

(edited for clarity)

steved5600

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Dallas, Texas
I am. But so far no joy. LOL or Ejoy. But I and 3 others in a large group of friends were all converted by one guy. I have a maybe and a will try in in January. Thing is we are responsible for the effort not the outcome. Never know when that little seed will sprout only maybe not in front of you. Not up to you. But if we do nothing but talk highly of it and use it in front of the stinkie smokers then maybe even that will be enough. Sometimes examples speak volumes where words fail. So I go out near to the stinkie smokers are an vape. I offer a vape because I normally keep clean tips in a plastic bag in my vest pocket. I have to remember to turn the voltage down though. LOL I plan on having one atty with low nic and no pg all the time. I have one that tried them but the PG almost put him in the hospital. Which is another concern.

Only one so far, but it's my mom so it's kind of an important conversion. :) If I bring nobody else to the Vaping Side (we have cookie flavors!), I'm happy.

I tried with my cousin, but he's simply too flighty to manage the stuff and not all that interested anyway. One can but try.

Yep, I can now vape inside and I'm encouraged to do so. "Whatcha vaping, honey?" is the standard question now. (Puff, puff, blow) "Smells nice."

TigerLadyTX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2012
Garland, TX
So far, in 11 months, I have converted a dozen people: My mother in law, a sister in law, my son, my daughter, my daughter in law, my best friend, best friend's daughter, my brother, my sister, 2 cousins, and one of my aunts.

Now, if I worked outside the home and was around people on a daily basis, I bet I could have converted a LOT more. :p

~Tiger

conflator

ECF Veteran
Sep 5, 2012
Canada
I am. But so far no joy. LOL or Ejoy. But I and 3 others in a large group of friends were all converted by one guy. I have a maybe and a will try in in January. Thing is we are responsible for the effort not the outcome. Never know when that little seed will sprout only maybe not in front of you. Not up to you. But if we do nothing but talk highly of it and use it in front of the stinkie smokers then maybe even that will be enough. Sometimes examples speak volumes where words fail. So I go out near to the stinkie smokers are an vape. I offer a vape because I normally keep clean tips in a plastic bag in my vest pocket. I have to remember to turn the voltage down though. LOL I plan on having one atty with low nic and no pg all the time. I have one that tried them but the PG almost put him in the hospital. Which is another concern.

Word. You can't do anything but show the way. I know firsthand how PVs work like nothing else, and I'm convinced they can win on their own merits. No sales needed.

And I promise myself I'll never forget what evangelical non-smokers were like, and how I reacted to that. Ain't never gonna do that. No problem telling people how they've changed my life, but horses and water and all that.

wrenfisher

Sep 7, 2012
Alberta

Wow, OK. The PG concern is news to me. I'll do some reading on that. And I've thought of carrying around disposable tips so other could try. Or if someone just attempts to kidnap my PV without even asking, first, which has happened once already!

"Not up to you" - wise words. I'm certainly not the evangelizing type, not going to push anything on anyone. But I will share what I know, if asked, and I'm certainly not going to hide in the corner of the bar because I'm worried about what other people think. This ....e is awesome, and I want people to know it!

I've hung out with stinky smokers my whole life, and I'm pretty sure I'm not going to want to stop now. So they'll have to put up with me. :)

conflator

ECF Veteran
Sep 5, 2012
Canada
@MorpheusPA: Nothing like converting mom! That's worth a thousand of any others.

As Wren mentioned, her mom's next up. Already converted, just need to get her the gear. That's going to be exciting!

@TigerLadyTX: that's awesome! Congrats on bringing the family in. Almost makes me wish I had more direct relations to bring in :) (Nah, not really - glad they never got the bug. But sharing is fun.)

wrenfisher

Sep 7, 2012
Alberta
Only one so far, but it's my mom so it's kind of an important conversion. :) If I bring nobody else to the Vaping Side (we have cookie flavors!), I'm happy.

I tried with my cousin, but he's simply too flighty to manage the stuff and not all that interested anyway. One can but try.

Yep, I can now vape inside and I'm encouraged to do so. "Whatcha vaping, honey?" is the standard question now. (Puff, puff, blow) "Smells nice."

:) Nice.

I can't believe how great everything around me smells now.

It's not for everyone. It takes a bit of initial investment, and some extra effort ongoing. Frankly, not much, but you know. It's change. Can't convince everyone.

As a side note, in Canada, even if you smoke half a pack a day, the initial investment is trivial compared to what you give the tobacco companies and the government in taxes. In the 5 weeks since I've started vaping I've more than made my money back, and I didn't even totally quit the cigs until a week and a half ago. So maybe easier to convert Canadians. :)

wrenfisher

Sep 7, 2012
Alberta
So far, in 11 months, I have converted a dozen people: My mother in law, a sister in law, my son, my daughter, my daughter in law, my best friend, best friend's daughter, my brother, my sister, 2 cousins, and one of my aunts.

Now, if I worked outside the home and was around people on a daily basis, I bet I could have converted a LOT more. :p

~Tiger

Wow! I am impressed. That is really inspiring. If I could just invent an award for that, it would be yours. AWESOME.

It's not for everyone. It takes a bit of initial investment, and some extra effort ongoing. Frankly, not much, but you know. It's change. Can't convince everyone.

True. What I was thinking while speaking to my cousin (who had the "too much effort" reaction) was "It's also too much effort to get chemo and lug around an oxygen bottle, but whatevs, dude."

I'd never say it. People have to make up their own minds.

As a side note, in Canada, even if you smoke half a pack a day, the initial investment is trivial compared to what you give the tobacco companies and the government in taxes. In the 5 weeks since I've started vaping I've more than made my money back, and I didn't even totally quit the cigs until a week and a half ago. So maybe easier to convert Canadians. :)

I'm just coming up on week five and I'm already way over $100 to the positive side. This includes starting DIY and buying all supplies, purchasing three big batts, 3 more cig-alikes for at the computer and in the garden use (I won't push a button with muddy hands), and more trial flavors than I can count.

Cigs in Pennsylvania are now $8.50 (American dollars) per pack. That's still better than New York State, apparently. Other states are higher or lower depending on the laws.

Moueix

Moved On
Aug 20, 2012
Michigan and Iowa
Two so far, my wife and my other best friend.

But I'm about to convert 25 more, employees. I'm putting together an order to China for an Ego 650mah style kit, Vivi Nova Mini's, Chrome trim rings and chrome contour drip tips that will make two complete chrome ego rigs, a dripper and a tanker. I've started a thread in the co-op section to see if anyone else wants to buy some of these kits at cost for wives/lovers/friends/employees to help spread the love. The thread is here:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...inished-complete-starter-sets-vivi-minis.html

If anyone is interested, I'll do all the footwork and take the risks of a China order on behalf of my employees. I just found out I'll save 30 cents a unit if I order 100 instead of 25, and that savings will go towards reducing the costs my employees rigs. so if there is any interest in getting a two chrome rig EGO type setups for $38 delivered to you, shoot me a PM or better yet, post in the thread so I can gauge interest. They'll make great Christmas gifts for those you love enough to save.

JENerationX

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2011
Rochester, NY
I have nooooo idea. I had 2 family members but neither stuck with it. 4 at work, 2 full time vapers and 1 that still smokes and vapes, 1 that quit everything and a lot of smokers I've run into that I've talked to about it, handed cards to, and helped order if they were interested.

I can and do plant the seed where I can, but follow through is not up to me.

PhreakySTS9

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2011
Shayol Ghul, The Great Blight
Yes, I too have planted the seed in many people that I have simply met randomly and never seen again, or friends, coworkers and other people I see on a regular basis. I have gotten a few very interested but not many seeds that took, so to speak that I know of. I am in the process of getting a coworker converted, he is very interested, and at VaperCon I am going to try to find him some good startup stuff. He has tried the crummy gas station ones and was disappointed with the performance, but was still very interested in the idea, and when I explained how useless the bad ones are, and showed him my Provari he was very excited. I wish I could have let him try it, but it was not in a place we could have done so, and also something had happened to my atomizer, giving it an absolutely disgusting taste, that I could barely even use to finish out the rest of my shift. I'm hoping that after this weekend I can have some stuff for him to try.

What i'm going to do is let him hold on to it for a bit and give it a whirl. If he likes it and wants to keep at it, I will sell him the "kit" i'm making at like half of what I pay for it, as sort of an introduction gift. If not, I will just keep it and use it as backups, or work vapes, something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread