another battery venting. User error by my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
I don't mean to be indifferent but I find this nothing more than propaganda
Naah, it's more like pre-propaganda, no "normies" will ever read this and most here acknowledge they don't know enough about the situation. Would this be in a bigger media outlet then they would make up reasons and sentences like "car almost exploded" without questioning anything.
Maybe some shop owners read this and think about if they're doing it right, seems ok to me.
And that's not saying that the shop owner from the story definitely did something wrong.
Even authentic batteries bought from a known good source can vent if they're used improperly or if used in the wrong applicatio~n.
In extremely rare cases they can also be dickered right off the assembly line... I think samsung would agree :D

From time to time there's also fake batteries, would be hard for somebody without the equipment to tell the difference.

Skunk!

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2014
Las Vegas
All the comments about Vape Shops on here makes me really grateful that I live in LV. Most of the shops here are great. Every store i have been to here has been staffed by knowledgeable safety minded hobbyists who are glad ro answer any questions. The prices at many stores are on par with a lot of online prices, due to competition. There are more B&Ms here than Starbucks. There is a LOT of people here that vape, due to the fact that there are/were many smokers. It is widely accepted here. I guess I shouldn't take it for granted

crayfishx

Oct 18, 2013
Malaga, Spain
If the store wants to stay in business maybe they should rethink if those steps really aren't necessary.

I've seen bad vape shops, I avoid them like the plague and I tell people not to go there. Like one store where the guy in front of me bought 2 VTC5A and proceeded to put them in his pocket. With a keychain leading to that same pocket. Both the clerk and the guy looked at me with big eyes when I tried to calmly explain he should immediately take those batteries out and get a plastic case for transport. Which I ended up paying for, it was only 1€, but I left the shop immediately without buying anything else and never returned there since.

I don't agree at all that's what is supposed to happen in vape shops and that the personnel doesn't need any knowledge of what they're selling.

This isn't aimed at the OP post - as people have said - too early and too little information.... but

I totally agree with this, I have two vape shops near me - I was in one the other day to pick up 4 x LG 18650's and the guy just puts them on the counter loose, and proceeds to ring up the till - I was tempted to put one in an empty pocket just to see if there was a reaction but I'm pretty sure he would have been ambivalent - I had to ask for battery cases, in my opinion the shops need to take some responsibility for selling unprotected 18650's to people who potentially have no idea of the risks. If I buy flu medicine from my pharmacy I normally get asked at the very least if I have taken it before (eg: "do I know what I'm doing?") - I think thats a basic responsibility of anyone selling these types of batteries and to make sure the user has basic understanding of what they're dealing with and a safe way of transporting them out of the shop. This was the same shop where a previous employee told me that her 3000mAh batteries were great and rated to 40A :-/

I've had two friends get into vaping and bought their gear with "advice" from vaping shops - luckily none of them lost a limb in between buying the batteries and me explaining rather urgently that they need to get battery cases, neither of them were told a thing about basic battery safety.

I too when I initially started vaping years ago bought from a brick & mortar shop and looking back now at how I ignorantly treated and stored my batteries it gives me shivers at how close I came to a catastrophe.

Well done to @untar for spotting this and remedying the situation before the poor unsuspecting buyer ended up with a situation like the top of this thread.

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
This isn't aimed at the OP post - as people have said - too early and too little information.... but

I totally agree with this, I have two vape shops near me - I was in one the other day to pick up 4 x LG 18650's and the guy just puts them on the counter loose, and proceeds to ring up the till - I was tempted to put one in an empty pocket just to see if there was a reaction but I'm pretty sure he would have been ambivalent - I had to ask for battery cases, in my opinion the shops need to take some responsibility for selling unprotected 18650's to people who potentially have no idea of the risks. If I buy flu medicine from my pharmacy I normally get asked at the very least if I have taken it before (eg: "do I know what I'm doing?") - I think thats a basic responsibility of anyone selling these types of batteries and to make sure the user has basic understanding of what they're dealing with and a safe way of transporting them out of the shop. This was the same shop where a previous employee told me that her 3000mAh batteries were great and rated to 40A :-/

I've had two friends get into vaping and bought their gear with "advice" from vaping shops - luckily none of them lost a limb in between buying the batteries and me explaining rather urgently that they need to get battery cases, neither of them were told a thing about basic battery safety.

I too when I initially started vaping years ago bought from a brick & mortar shop and looking back now at how I ignorantly treated and stored my batteries it gives me shivers at how close I came to a catastrophe.

Well done to @untar for spotting this and remedying the situation before the poor unsuspecting buyer ended up with a situation like the top of this thread.

I rarely buy more than juice from local shops, now where I am could be the issue. I have seen too much dodgy stuff going on in them with clones as real, price gouging, fake batteries and undertrained staff.

Most shops I've been in at home or travel are glorified 7-11 type places with minimum wage staff. There are exceptions of course but few and far between for me.

Shops should be held accountable for what they sell as kits and if they see a customer with (or doing) something unsafe, shut it down. Now they could have with this and we don't know, they may have bought the tank and the shop said don't use on the mod you have.

Truth probably won't come out, in the end it's still up to the user. If you want an advanced setup, you must use your own noodle not others.

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
I'd say a multi-battery mech is not only advanced, it's expert level vape gear. It's about as unsafe as you can get with a store bought vape.
Sure in the olden days we may or may not have pried some fetid tubing from a dry wall, filled it with batteries and called it a vape, who knows, but I think we all agree that's in the past and that's where it should stay :rolleyes:

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I'd say a multi-battery mech is not only advanced, it's expert level vape gear. It's about as unsafe as you can get with a store bought vape.
Sure in the olden days we may or may not have pried some fetid tubing from a dry wall, filled it with batteries and called it a vape, who knows, but I think we all agree that's in the past and that's where it should stay :rolleyes:

I'll second this as what most new users want from their first setup frequently can't be simply achieved on a mech without some real reading and effort, yet simple on an affordable regulated mod. Is there a role for mechs? Sure. I have a few stashed away. Is there a role for multi battery mechs, well yes, but really only to a niche market of very knowledgeable and skilled users who know just how to get the vape they want before buying one then seeking out advice in say this forum.

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama

I use mechs daily single, dual series and dual parallel. I however don't use a drop in coil system on any of them, with some it would be perfectly fine to do (depending on coil resistance of course).

I've never used anything from inside the wall to make a vape but did convert an old Atari controller to a single 18650 mod long ago, just to see if it could be done (A friend still has it and uses it from time to time), lol.

I think some people that are in the ever search for a great vape are going the wrong way about it. They seem to think it's all about raw power and forgetting it is a combination of power and coil setup.

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
before buying one then seeking out advice in say this forum
...if they even make it back home in their car that is :lol:

I used to use mechs exclusively in the past when there simply wasn't a regulated device that could put out 20-30W of power, I'm one of those who got from a kanger mini protank on an ego to a GV trident on a mech in a matter of 3 weeks :rolleyes: (had advice from a veteran though)

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
...if they even make it back home in their car that is :lol:

I used to use mechs exclusively in the past when there simply wasn't a regulated device that could put out 20-30W of power, I'm one of those who got from a kanger mini protank on an ego to a GV trident on a mech in a matter of 3 weeks :rolleyes: (had advice from a veteran though)

For a long time (in vape years) mechs were the only way to get higher output of current. That's no longer true. Mechs are great for their simplicity and durability. But choosing one because that's what the cool kids use is just plain crazy. IMO.

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
Dunnoh what that mod is but it is certainly not a GV mech pro, battery door is on the wrong side and battery door "recepticle" looks different and the mech pro has a locking switch.
Maybe they're covered in sand (why is there sand?) but on the photo I can't see any battery orientation indicators.

Again, if the story is true and he put the batteries in in the vape shop (a.k.a. in soft sexy voice range of the sales person) then how could they let that happen? In that case I'd say it's user error only in the technical sense, he put the batteries in, but I also see some serious failure on the shop side...

It's not sand, it's fire ......ant. When the fire department came in to extinguish the car.

I agree it's not the GV Mech Pro, but probably a clone.. 1) it has a curved side where the button is and 2) the battery door. I couldn't find anything like that from any of the "major" ecig companies, so it's probably a small company that made it or individually made. Can't tell much about the inside, or if there was a mofset in it, but it wouldn't matter. Also, we do not know who put the battery in. But in either case, I have a real strong feeling they were used to regulated mods, and just naturally put them in like you would any other 200w dual battery mod.

@Eskie... it's the sons of one of my wife's co-workers... she got it from her facebook page. She's not close to her that much, and neither am I (I used to work there 10 years ago). I can ask, but it's almost like asking a stranger.. I don't know her that well. :)

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
Probably it doesn't have anything to do with geekvape or their mod... that kind of design is old and there's examples of it all over the internet like eg this one from 2014

Some dude could have put that together in his shack for all I know. Maybe there's even a model made out of chinesium™ somewhere out there. I sure wouldn't try to somehow tie geekvape into this by name, even not as the "clonee". The mech pro has reverse battery protection as well as a locking switch and several design aspects (no sliding door, no curvature, solid metal frame + I could go on) are completely different, solely the vague outer shape may resemble that mod but so do a lot of others.

To establish what happened some crucial things are missing
-did the son go into the store to buy that specific mod or was it suggested to him in the store
-did he put the batteries into the mod in the store or outside (and why were batteries right off the shelf with unknown charge status even put into a device)

Those could clear up if some guy willingly and carelessly bought a device he knew only in name without informing himself first then mishandled it, or if the store personnel seriously failed to apply some basic common sense.
There's a lesson hidden somewhere in there, either that mod and battery safety need a far bigger platform in the offline community (I assume it can't be much bigger online... well... maybe it can) or store owners need to take their products more seriously and don't overestimate the capabilities of their customers, their staff needs to know a little more than how to operate a cash register.

Either way I regard this as a symptom of a bigger problem we have to tackle as a community if we don't want to be treated like kids. This kind of thing is 100% avoidable imo.

Phew, this turned out to be a lot more than the 2 sentences I intended to write :lol:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread