another battery venting. User error by my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I don't know if I'm allowed to post someone elses facebook page, but this was from facebook from one of my wife's co-workers.
Since this happened to one of your wife's co-workers, perhaps you'd be able to speak with him and fill in the missing details.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
I tend to look at claims with some degree of skepticism.

A person just bought a new mod, put batteries in it, then walked out of the store.

Not that I have a dog in this fight, but curious if the FB post said they actually purchased the batteries at the shop or put their own batteries in it?

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Of course it wouldn't be, but you're talking about steps that aren't needed/required in a retail store. You're asking for users to be consulted about what they just received as though they were picking up prescription medicine from a pharmacy where a pharmacist is attending to the customer; a pharmacist who knows of the prescribed medicine; a pharmacist who has the knowledge of it's prescribed directions; a pharmacist who has extensive knowledge through formal education, a pharmacist who is employed by the pharmacy; a pharmacist who is required by law to consult if needed (IF NEEDED);a pharmacy that is heavily governed by regulations; etc.

There needs to be accountability; personal accountability. We all know most of the sellers have no education in vaping/engineering/etc to sell these items in a vape store nor are required to consult. It's time we do our own research before making that purchase; before using it. You don't hear people crying foul when we make vape purchases online and not get consulted, warned, and informed of possible dangers of misuse.

I have no idea what you're going on about or why.
Most folks have no idea there are online vape forums & care little if they exist, expecting people to research products use common sense and take personal responsibility in daily life went out the window 20 years ago.

Mechanicals are dangerous in the hands of the inexperienced and or uninformed.
Kinda like machinery, power tools & chainsaws.

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
It's not a bad idea to try to create a little "balance" is it ?. No one wants to hear stories such the op's, although big tobacco would add something to the story to defame vaping given the chance.

A story like this in an e-cigarette forum just doesn't look good to all those people who aren't fully clued up. True, posts will be made about battery safety in this thread and people will learn from them. But for every negative thread, it probably doesn't hurt us, the vaping community, to take the opportunity to create a little balance. I do realise that making jokes about venting batteries is inappropriate in this thread, probably anywhere else too, but you can imagine that everytime stories like this come to light it's companies like big tobacco who benefit because new vapers may shy away. I'm just trying to even the score a little.

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Vaping and tobacco are not a "game." There is no "evening the score."

Also, perhaps I am outdated, but I think many, many youths even are well aware of internet forums and frequent them, although not this one. My son, who took up vaping all on his own, knew a LOT about vaping, including battery safety, and he knew all about mechanical mods, ohm's law, etc. In fact, prior to my discovering ECF, he would at times come over and peer at my dual use setups in much horror and "fix" them.

People value vaping and do research if it works, is my opinion. The "new" user is most likely to wander into a vape shop, and I do feel that is a point of entry that will not be going away, so vape stores do have a mandate to help and teach new users that internet storefronts don't, although many of them do have an attached blog, FB page or whatever, and some of them are quite informative. It depends on the supplier.

Perhaps I am too elderly to think that "internet" purchases are done more at one's own risk (in every way). The "premium" price paid at vape shops should cover a safety lesson in my opinion. I also don't except my local vape shop to act like "ebay," where you buy at your own risk. The reason many folks still shop in niche brick and mortar stores like this may be doing so BECAUSE they know nothing about vaping, and think going to a store will bring "expertise." I certainly felt that way about my vape shop and they never did anything to endanger me or failed to answer any of my questions. Never sent me out the door with a cloudchasing setup either, nor did they sell me battery rewraps. Perhaps I was lucky but especially early on in my vaping life, my vape shop was invaluable, and even fixed (for free) a couple batteries I had dropped (and thought I had destroyed). It was good business model and kept me coming back until I quit vaping entirely, returned to the "scene" as it were, and found ECF because I was having problems vaping my sub0hm setup. No one sold it to me, my kid gave it to me. So, I do know enough to consult forums and the internet when indicated, many younger folk do as well, but not everyone does, and most emphatically (not unusually) a beginner.

Just imagine for a second if this was your "first" vaping experience. Would you keep vaping? I do not know that I would in that circumstance.

Anna

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Just imagine for a second if this was your "first" vaping experience. Would you keep vaping? I do not know that I would in that circumstance.
I can be pretty hard headed. I remember visiting my family over a weekend and showing them my first mod setup. I was so excited that I had quit smoking using it. The very first thing out of my niece's mouth was for me to be careful because she had seen on the internet that an ecig had exploded in someone's mouth.

I blew it off, because I knew there was a lot of anti-vaping propaganda being spread. Wouldn't you know it, no more than a month later, a battery exploded in my mod! (I wasn't hurt.)

Although that had a very dramatic affect on me, it didn't make me quit vaping. Instead, being the curious type, I researched into what could have caused the battery to explode. I knew virtually nothing about batteries at the time except that they were needed to run the vaporizer. I found out just how naive and ignorant I really was.

Last edited:

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
you're talking about steps that aren't needed/required in a retail store.
If the store wants to stay in business maybe they should rethink if those steps really aren't necessary.

I've seen bad vape shops, I avoid them like the plague and I tell people not to go there. Like one store where the guy in front of me bought 2 VTC5A and proceeded to put them in his pocket. With a keychain leading to that same pocket. Both the clerk and the guy looked at me with big eyes when I tried to calmly explain he should immediately take those batteries out and get a plastic case for transport. Which I ended up paying for, it was only 1€, but I left the shop immediately without buying anything else and never returned there since.

I don't agree at all that's what is supposed to happen in vape shops and that the personnel doesn't need any knowledge of what they're selling.

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
Online forums offer up a lot more information than any b+m. A b+m would certainly not tell a customer "oh by the way this device you want to buy is going to give you cancer etc". The information people can get from an online forum isn't necessarily all good. So for every thread which is bad for vaping there should be content within that thread which doesn't just debunk fallacies but would also "hit back".

Metaphorically speaking, maybe some people like being repeatedly punched in the face and do absolutely nothing to retaliate. I'm not one of those people.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
No, I'm talking like third VAPE inhale ever. LOL. Although if a mod blew up on me, I'd probably do some investigating as well, whether it would have affected my overall experiences and choices, I'm not sure. I was a pretty pathetic dual use vaper for a long time, kind of using it during times I couldn't smoke, but could vape. So, I guess it's hard to say for every person.

But, if that were my first vaping experience, I think it might have been hard to get over, and I'm not sure I would have given my son free reign to vape.... I like to think I'd have remained open-minded, and I am sure glad it didn't happen, but it's hard to say how something like that might have affected me.

I'm also kind of wondering how the vape store OWNER is feeling right now. I just.... I hate explosions, I really do, despite enjoying fires. I really, really hate AVOIDABLE explosions even more.... It's just such a horrible thing to happen to people and so many of them do seem like they were avoidable.... In the sense that that ONE thing keeping you from going BOMB can be so simple, with the right knowledge and experience, although that's easy to say after being around here for a while.

Anna

Reactions: Baditude

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
The fact remains we don't know the mod, the batteries, the tank, whether or was in use when this happened, and we certainly don't know what transpired inside the vape shop. I feel bad for whoever this happened to, but pointing a finger at anyone at this point is beyond speculation and,IMHO, inappropriate and sounds like something coming from an anti -vape group screaming how horrible this is and why children are in imminent danger from these things.

If and when we know what happened a bit better then blame as well as methods to avoid a repeat will be of greater use.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Let me preface this by saying: What you are about to read is pure speculation, but based on logic.

If the customer had just bought that and this happened while still in the parking lot, my guess is this was the fault of the vape shop. Here is my reasoning. I can't tell what top that is, but it is probably a RTA of some sort. Meaning the user most likely had the vape shop put the first build in it. The customer also probably took a vape or two while still in the store to make sure it worked before leaving, which means the batteries were probably oriented correctly. This would mean the issue was most likely that the coil was either too low resistance, OR was installed loosely, shifted while walking, and shorted out. I am actually leaning toward the latter of the two.

That said, it could also be that the user laid the mod down in the car in a way that caused the fire button to stay pressed.

Reactions: stols001

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
The fact remains we don't know the mod, the batteries, the tank, whether or was in use when this happened, and we certainly don't know what transpired inside the vape shop. I feel bad for whoever this happened to, but pointing a finger at anyone at this point is beyond speculation and,IMHO, inappropriate and sounds like something coming from an anti -vape group screaming how horrible this is and why children are in imminent danger from these things.

If and when we know what happened a bit better then blame as well as methods to avoid a repeat will be of greater use.

Jake and Josh just left the brick and mortar store. They had purchased the mod their, but went in to buy some batteries. After they bought the batteries, they went to their car and sat it down. The mod started venting, and they got out of the car (really, an SUV). They were not using it at the time. That much I know.

Anything I observe as to what went wrong, I look at the pictures. If you wish, I can ask what kind of batteries they were, but to be honest, I don't think that really matters, or can be confirmed. I know I cannot check for authenticity from here, but I can find out what they said they bought. Same for the mech mod... I just haven't found out, and really don't want to get that involved.

Reactions: stols001

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Jake and Josh just left the brick and mortar store. They had purchased the mod their, but went in to buy some batteries. After they bought the batteries, they went to their car and sat it down. The mod started venting, and they got out of the car (really, an SUV). They were not using it at the time. That much I know.

Anything I observe as to what went wrong, I look at the pictures. If you wish, I can ask what kind of batteries they were, but to be honest, I don't think that really matters, or can be confirmed. I know I cannot check for authenticity from here, but I can find out what they said they bought. Same for the mech mod... I just haven't found out, and really don't want to get that involved.

Well that's some information. This happened after new batteries were installed. Did they put them in the mod in the car or did the vape guy in the shop? Did they hit the fire button in the car and have it vent, or was it sitting minding its own business in the cup holder and spontaneously vented?

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Jake and Josh just left the brick and mortar store. They had purchased the mod their, but went in to buy some batteries. After they bought the batteries, they went to their car and sat it down. The mod started venting, and they got out of the car. They were not using it at the time.

If you wish, I can ask what kind of batteries they were, but to be honest, I don't think that really matters...but I can find out what they said they bought. Same for the mech mod... I just haven't found out, and really don't want to get that involved.
Well, I'd be interested in what batteries they bought from a vape shop. If they were aftermarket batteries, which vape shops often sell, those often have exagerated amp ratings that sales staff/consumers often are not aware of.

It would also be interesting to find out if they knew if it was a series or parallel mod, and what orientation they had placed the new batteries in.

Also curious what atomizer they were using and the ohm rating, just from a compatible battery and Ohm's Law perspective. Do they make direct battery (faux hybrid) box mods?

Assuming this was a mechanical mod, the fact that they allegedly hadn't used the mod yet makes me wonder what caused the short. The electrical circuit wouldn't be completed unless the fire button had been pressed. I don't think battery orientation would come into play unless the circuit was completed either.

Last edited:

Vaperer

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2017
I don't mean to be indifferent but I find this nothing more than propaganda.

1000 injuries were reported last year due to cigarette fires.
3000 deaths were reported last year due to fire started from cigarettes.
I'm not being cynical but the statistics are the statistics.
I'll take my chances and make sure I buy Quality Batteries.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com

Even authentic batteries bought from a known good source can vent if they're used improperly or if used in the wrong application.

I have a pair of ~1 yr old Panasonic 18650B cells rated at 5A that work great in the flashlight they came with but would probably be a disaster in a mechanical mod.

The brand and model number would be useful because then we'd know what not to use next time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread