How to save money when vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

mortenhy

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2017
I could not find a new thread (i am danish, so sorry for the spelling) about saving money, so i thougt it would be great if we could make one together.. So if you have any tips regarding how to save money, please write a post and I will later gather all the tips here in this post (if that is possible).

I am stil new and have a lot to learn, so if you have some input it would be much appreciated..
Questions: Is VG lasting longer than PG? Can coils be cleaned and how? Will a high VG liquid make your coils last longer, or if you smoke with low wattage?

Vape Path

ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2017
Russia, Moscow
vapepath.ru
Hello, friend!

Yes, of course, you can save some money, if try to make juice with your own hands. You can find ready base from mix of different proportions of PG/VG.

Then, you can find different flavors and empty bottles from cheap to really expensive.

As for coils, yes you can clean them: put off cotton and fire them with some water drops from nozzle of bottle. You'll see how they become more clean and scotching falls on the bottom of atomizer. This is suitable if you use your own builds.
BUT!!! If you clean them more than 2-3 times, the wire loses its properties and you'll reach not really good flavor from even really concentrated liquid and resistance can be other while each vape process and your box mod activation and gets hot worse.

If you use replacement coil heads - be ready to spend money, so, this is not your theme.

As for wattage and juice consumption: of course, lower wattage you have - less juice you spend.

You can start from simple clapton coils, which will get hot on maybe 35-45W (2 coils) or from one coil atomizer with 20-30W.

It depends only on you, for example, if you vape often - juice will disappear faster from the tube, if rarely - it will be more economically.

And don't leave your juice in tube for a long time - it'll spoil.

Good luck to you ;)

Be with us, be in a loop! https://vapepath.ru

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
The biggest cost savings is making your own juice. The next would be making your own coils. In my case I use a Uwell crown and the factory coils last me over a month on average so over the course of a year I use two four packs. I get a four pack for about $10, so $20 for a year isn’t cost prohibitive therefore I don’t bother to build my own coils. The only other reason I would build my own coils is to achieve a certain performance but the .5 factory coils leave nothing to desire so I don’t bother. The one thing I almost overlooked that is a huge suck on your wallet is shinyitis. I’ve been able to control myself in order to save money but there are many out there who suffer and struggle daily with this debilitating disease. I’ve been able to control my shinyitis by living vicariously through members on this forum who haven’t had as much luck as I’ve had dealing with this scourge on the vape world. All you can do is talk about it with others who suffer from it and do like I do and look at pictures of others mod collections when the shinyitis cravings are the worst and just be strong. Together we can beat this and I hope one day we can live in a world where each and every one of us can get by with just one mod. :nun::nun::nun:

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
BUT!!! If you clean them more than 2-3 times, the wire loses its properties and you'll reach not really good flavor from even really concentrated liquid and resistance can be other while each vape process and your box mod activation and gets hot worse.

Is this meant for rebuildable coils? If so , have to disagree. Imo, A good coil can be be cleaned and re wicked many times without flavor loss. I probably clean my coils 20x easily without any issues at all. Maybe I misread and it was for drop ins, if so my bad

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

MMW

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2015
NH
DIY everything you can. You have to spend a little up front to save in the long run.

Temco has inexpensive wire in varying gauges and material.
If you like cotton pads to wick, you can get a years worth for $12.
Get a rebuildable tank or dripper. The qualty is very good these days for $20-$30 atomizers.

The most expensive thing to initially invest in that saves a lot of money is making your own juice.

Here's my "troubles" for my personality.
All of the above, crossed me over an invisible line into forming a healthier hobby. A hobby that I enjoy spending money on..... so I guess I just counter argued my own point.

I'm not very good at this. :(

Vape Path

ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2017
Russia, Moscow
vapepath.ru
Is this meant for rebuildable coils? If so , have to disagree. Imo, A good coil can be be cleaned and re wicked many times without flavor loss. I probably clean my coils 20x easily without any issues at all. Maybe I misread and it was for drop ins, if so my bad

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
No, Sir, you understood me right) it depends on wire, of course, its quality, etc. Sometimes, you can service many times, but sometimes after 2 or 3 (I wrote the low level) in needs to be changed. All of us has their own cockroaches in head[emoji16]

Be with us, be in a loop! https://vapepath.ru

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
You can also take really short puffs to conserve juice.

As for cleaning and dry burning coils, I can get 2 to 3 months out of a coil before replacing, and that's usually out of boredom. That's with SS coils from simple round to fused Claptons, all with DIY juice. However, the wire itself is so inexpensive that's not where most of your savings come from. If you make your own coils you can replace them every day and still save money. DIY juice is likely where the biggest cost savings can occur.

Of course, it also depends where you live. If you're somewhere with cheap cigarettes, it will take longer to see money savings after the initial investment. If you live where they're expensive (~$13 by me) the return on investment happens pretty fast.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Everyone else missed it - Don't continue purchasing the latest tank and or MOD that comes along

While savings from DIY juice and coils add up quickly, whatever those savings are can easily be eaten by "shinnyitus" (new gear).

True, to a degree. I smoked a pack and a half a day at ~$12-13 a pack. I could buy a new DNA mod every week and still save over smoking. But throw in all the other shinys from tanks to new recipes you just "have to try" that will need 4 new flavorings to your collection, and you can start to fall behind in savings.

I haven't bought anything new other than restocking some flavors the last 2 months, and yes, you do save a lot through restraint thoughtful purchasing.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I'd agree on DIY and an RTA. The biggest ongoing expense in vaping is buying coils and e-juice. To answer a few of your questions, often very high VG will shorten coil life as it's gloopy and can gunk. With Subohm setups higher VG is more the norm and those coils are built to withstand higher temps and higher VG, but they are more expensive. Smaller tanks do better with more PG in the mix.

As far as DIY checking out the DIY forum (it's a subforum under the e-juice section) may be helpful to you. As well as the RDA/Coil building forums they can get you started. With that said, both DIY and coilbuilding do have startup expenses, but they do both save money over the long haul. They're both also fun to learn, so it's a great way to save money.

Using higher resistance typically will result in less clouds, and you may need more nicotine to compensate, but less wattage will equal longer battery life and less juice consumption. Depending on your vaping style, you may find one suits you more than the other.

I enjoy both, and it gives me more money to buy vaping equipment (or build up my savings depending on what mood I am in....)

Best of luck,

Anna

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
Its all already been said about savings with DIY juice and rebuilding. The money is spent buying mods so researching before is the way to get a reliable mod and have it last.
Multiwire complex coil builds can gulp juice. Single kanthal builds over 1.5ohms are thrifty juice builds. Claptons and such complex coils can increase juice consumption substantially.
Lower the ohm the build the more juice you can go through, same with large ID coils(3+mm) also use a lot of juice.
Attys that have more than one coil means 2, 3, 4 or more times the juice consumption to how many coils and what kind of coils if they are multiwire.
The higher power used in the mod also increases the juice consumption to match the nasty coil build in the atty.
All said and done, my wife and I took a 2 person smoking a pack each a day which is @ 700-800+ bucks a month and turned it into less than 15 bucks a month to vape not including the money spent over the last 4 years buying gear. My initial DIY juice setup cost about @250 bucks and that included the 150.00 for the liter of nic I bought in Canada, that was 2 years ago.
Turning vaping into a hobby rather than having it plug and play will save money depending on how much of a hobby you turn it into.

RainSong

An adult who likes flavors.
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2016
Tempe, Arizona, United States
I know I spent a lot at first searching for the equipment I really liked and setting up supplies for DIY liquid and coil building. Now I vape at a low monthly cost. I knew within a few weeks of buying store liquid and coils that I wouldn’t save money if I continued, finding out I could do those parts myself I knew I wanted to.

hobbette

Jan 10, 2011
OK
As far as making coils last longer goes, using a juice with no sweeteners is probably the biggest thing. Sweetener will gum stuff up in no time. I've had juices that ruin a coil that would usually last me at least a few weeks in 2 days. I personally think colorings can be bad too but that could just be me I know most people don't mention that.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
I DIY some juice, but still buy some store bought. I build/wick (as best I can, thanks tremors), but mostly use factory coils. I think I have my shinyitis under control (yeah, sure), but sill treat myself on special occasions. I put some value on comfort and enjoyment of what I have left in life, so as long as I am spending anything less then I was smoking, I am good with that! Not to mention the value of no longer smoking is incalculable.

But I fully grasp the challenge of seeing how far "that bar" can be lowered and more power to those accepting that challenge! Somebody has to be the fan in the stands watching the action, and I volunteer! :vapor:

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
I just counted...
I use 3 mod/tank combinations which cost me $180 total. Suppose they will serve me for 3 years before replacement. Then hardware amortization is $0.16/day. DIY juice - about $0.06/day. Wire and cotton - almost nothing; it will be a great exaggeration to suppose they cost $0.01/day, but it's OK, I do not mind exaggeration. So, my vaping cost me $0.23/day.
But of course I did buy unneeded things - tanks, mods, fancy useless cotton... In 3 years of vaping I spent about $300 on silly things. So, the main money saving option is not to buy thing you do not need desperately... But this "desperately" is very specific for each human I ever met.

P.S. My hobby is cheap vaping. My wife quitted cold turkey with total cost of quitting of $0.00. I am trying to be as close to this ideal (I mean my wife) as possible. I do not have a second thought buying bourbon for $40 or champagne for $200, but my heart is bleeding when I even think about buying a mod for above $30 or a tank for above $20.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Get a good charger
    Get good batteries
    Get a good mod to put the batteries in.
    That's a lot of cash up front, but pays off in the end.

Get a good atomizer that fits your style of vaping
    Learn how to build your own coils.

Learn how to DIY your juice.

The end result is that in a couple of years you will be vaping virtually for free.

It's now November, and so far this year my out of pocket expense to vape is $0.00 ... notta ... not one red cent! (and the vape shops hate me for that) ;)

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread