Status
Not open for further replies.

Black Strat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 8, 2012
Idaho
I liked your way better. I didn't study much chemistry.

I actually had to go look up what oxidation means. That just made me more confused. So I decided to hit the "I believe button" and just steep with the cap off.

I'm guessing most juice vendors don't steep this way before selling? Or do they?

I am not sure about "most" vendors, but mine mixes to order. There may be some that mixes in large batches if they do not offer options it would make sense to batch mix based on purchasing trends.

Oh, and oxidation - just need to know that it is oxygen interaction (causing the transfer of electrons...lol)

ericoahu

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2012
Oahu
I am not sure about "most" vendors, but mine mixes to order. There may be some that mixes in large batches if they do not offer options it would make sense to batch mix based on purchasing trends.

Oh, and oxidation - just need to know that it is oxygen interaction (causing the transfer of electrons...lol)

LOL, thanks. Yeah - I did manage to get oxygen=good out of my oxidation research and quit while I was ahead.

Anyway I'm a dedicated cap-off steeper now.

KarenB

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 5, 2012
LA, CA.
Steeped my Vanilla Cupcake and it's still not high on the vanilla flavor but the cake flavor is easier to bear now. I did the cap off steep method but no shaking etc. Then just let it sit in my vape box for about 2 weeks.

I just got some stuff last week from EC Blends and am letting them steep as the dragon series is suggested to. I am really just getting into vaping other flavors after 2 years as I am stuck on a Vanilla that I love from one vendor and no other has been able to duplicate that taste. I have a nice little collection sitting and gathering flavor now. I will report back after the weekend about the Dragons Tear and sample of Dragons Delight that they sent along with the order.

CayCay

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2011
Austin TX
Steeped my Vanilla Cupcake and it's still not high on the vanilla flavor but the cake flavor is easier to bear now. I did the cap off steep method but no shaking etc. Then just let it sit in my vape box for about 2 weeks.

I just got some stuff last week from EC Blends and am letting them steep as the dragon series is suggested to. I am really just getting into vaping other flavors after 2 years as I am stuck on a Vanilla that I love from one vendor and no other has been able to duplicate that taste. I have a nice little collection sitting and gathering flavor now. I will report back after the weekend about the Dragons Tear and sample of Dragons Delight that they sent along with the order.
dragons tear (extra flavor) and white peach ala zoe (extra flavor w/ a shot of vanilla) are my two favorites from ecblend. both are good but are best at a week.

Black Strat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 8, 2012
Idaho
dragons tear (extra flavor) and white peach ala zoe (extra flavor w/ a shot of vanilla) are my two favorites from ecblend. both are good but are best at a week.

I would also suggest Chocolate Hazelnut Tobacco from ECBlend - extra flavor. Good right out of the mailbox, so steep time on this one. Yuuuuuuuuuuuuummy!

KANGAROOSTER

Verified Member
Oct 19, 2012
Los Angeles
I drip as soon as they arrive, and sort everything into my steep or ready to vape boxes based on the initial drip.

I do the same, I usually don't have enough reserves to though to let an entire shipment steep for long at all. I just take the most ready juice of the batch and vape that while the others steep.

edit: DON'T (have enough reserves)

Last edited:

DirtyPaws

Sep 20, 2012
Minnesota, USA
When you are on the go with a bottle that needs some steeping, stick the bottle in your cleavage (cap on tight) and when nobody is looking jump around a bit for a good steep and shake. Body heat does great things. Trust me, a lot of women do it. =)

I'm not sure if I understand how this is done. Is there a YouTube video demonstrating the technique?

I have a scientifically developed 4 step steeping process:

1. The US Postal Service steeps my juice while it is on the way.

2. The mailbox steeps my juice while I am at work.

3. My tank steeps my juice while I am vaping it.

4. My juice drawer steeps my juice in between filling my tanks.

:p

This. I wish I could let my juices steep. I don't have that luxury as I always feel like I'm on the verge of running out...Turns out I'm usually right.

Vap_ingBilly

Nov 20, 2012
Sydney
Ya, RY4 seems like a tricky one. I have some that tasted like wet carpet until it had steeped for almost two months. Lovin' it now. :)

Good info, my RY4 flavour is doing nothing after a few days. More like cheap aftershave...the morning after. I'm a total nubie here but have been trying various mixing regimes on 100mg base. But some initial observations:

Whether you DIY or download your juice, shake it baby shake it! Juice is a few different liquids mixed together with different consitutents and viscosity (runny-ness) and so they can separate. I'm using a lab magnetic stirrer for DIY and definitely better to mix well.

Heat...tried this a little but suspect it can kill some flavour components and not others. I have some RY4 now smelling faintly of watermelon, which is better than day old aftershave I guess...:2c:

Shastazippy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2012
Alberta, somewhere
agreed. I just received a bunch of new flavours and almost all tasted like fecal matter. One flavour i was expecting to rock out was " nutty professor " I still can't put my finger on the flavour, but it isn't tasting proper.

Does anyone else have issues with tobacco flavours that taste like ashtray? (not that I really know what it tastes like, but it is how i imagine it) I bought a canadian tobacco replica flavour... if my cigs tasted like that i probably could have quit without ecigs :)

at work now.. stashed my bottles in my desk to forget about for a while... have 20ml of vapeable stuff on hand that doesn't taste too too bad.. hopefully it lasts until these flavours calm themselves ...

mrfixit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Akron, Ohio
Now here us where vendors can really help new converts out. I have read dozens of posts on diy for thecmaking of e liquids. Some juices when mixed together are ready to vape right then. Why this is and other aren't has no definate answer. It could be that some flavorings blend well naturally with pg and vg and nicotine. It really comes down to science. The molocules all have different properties and densities so some may take longer than others to mesh together and I expect there are some that will just flat out refuse to. The one thing I'm sure of is that most liquids will reach their flavor packed goodness over time. That being said it would be great if liquids came with instructions on how long it should steep before using it. I'm not sure if we could make a set standard for this because I'm sure that even tho basic e liquid manufacture would be the same individual recipes and makers techniques will vary. There are some vendor makers out there that do tell or recommend the amount of steep time for their liquids. In the absence of that a rule of thumb seems to be try a few drops and if it sucks put it up for a few days most say in a cool dark place rinse and repeat. I have even asked vendors if steeping was needed ans how long I should before vapping it. When I DIY my average steep time before checking is 4 days and I shake up my bottles at least once a day. Some liquids are like wine they reach their flavor peak over time. Most of what I found on the subject pertained to DIY and since I have made my own liquids I can say with certainty that at first a little heat is helpful to get flavors to blend together not to much tho and never prolonged exposure to heat or light. Agitation or shaking it up frequently and before each time I'm going to use a juice. Most of my creations were ready in a few days time after steeping in the dark but continued to get better after that period also. I'm gonna say an average of one to two weeks on more complex mixes and on occasion I've read where people let them steep a month. Now that is again how most of thus vapping world works it all comes down to your personal preferences. I hope some of this helps

Reactions: Mezzle993

MagicMike

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2013
United States
Been a week or more since picking up more totally wicked ry4....
Still unvapable, and I have steeped with cap on for 2 days, cap off for 5 days, shaking daily....
This is petty lame

This is a big manufacture and their juice is not getting to your door overnight after it's produced, it's unlikely that steeping is going to change your opinion of their product. It might just not be your thing!

MM

MagicMike

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2013
United States
I'm planning to get a 500ml e-juice.but is it safe to keep it that long? 500 ml would take many months to finish it.

If your ordering PG based ejuice from what I've read it has a longer shelf life as it's a natural inhibitor of 'things growing in it', however if you purchase heavy VG based products then perhaps you have more to worry about.

500ml's is 70 to 120 days for me, I doubt given a cool dark environment there is much to worry about either way. I have heard if you purchase the dropper bottles that the rubber on the dropper is prone to degradation. So just be sure to store you ejuice in a glass container tightly sealed and you're good to go.

MM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread