How to stop chain-vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vapo Marx

ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2013
New York
Hey, I'm really glad to be off tobacco but this is gettin' kinda ridiculous. I used to smoke a cigarette every hour or so but now I'm like a hungry baby on a teat, vaping almost constantly. I don't know if it's because I need to vape a lot more than I smoked to feel satisfied, if it's the novelty factor or if it's just because I like it so much.

I lowered the nicotine level in my juice (except for my first vape of the morning) but I think that might just be encouraging me.

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
USA
Is not chain vaping an option? Know what you mean. Love vaping. I would try and see if a higher nic might curb some of the chain vaping. It can take weeks and months for the body to adjust to the different mechanism of action that is vaping. We don't get that serotonin/dopamine dump that analogs gave us. The good news is that in time, our bodies adjust to the differences, and then it's fairly easy to reduce nic levels. I'm six months in vaping now. I'm just now going down to 18 mg/ml. But I was a 3 PAD, American Spirit Black user. My wife started at 24 and she's down to 12 now, but she was a 1/2 PAD. It takes what it takes for the body to achieve "homeostasis." Be patient and let it play out. I wasn't sure I'd ever go down and a good bit of time has passed. Now I feel ready. The most important thing is that we're not smoking any more. I'm told we measure success by how many analogs we no longer use, not by our exact vaping "requirements." Makes sense, I suppose. VapeQuest varies by vaper. Congrats on the quitting, on the vaping, on joining the Forum, for posting such a relevant topic, good luck, Power up and Vape On!

Last edited:

chimsweep

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2013
Hardwick, Ma
Oh No....bad news....if you are chain vaping ...you have ...............satisfaction syndrome!!! I couldn't take my lips off of the darn thing when I started out. We never smoked in the house, because of our kids, smell, etc.....but vaping that's another story. So it was easier than smoking a stinkie and it was better in every way. Now almost 5 months later, I am up to 12-15 second delay between draws..:D
You'll find your rhythm. Benefits of this will be....feel better, breath better, smell better...etc.

BlueMoods

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2010
USA - Arkansas
Well, a few things might help curb your vaping, more PG - that's more throat hit and, you'll get a stinging or dry feeling throat faster, thus you stop at least long enough to drink a few sips of something and let the throat get feeling better.

Sheer willpower and setting a time limit like "I can only vape 10 minutes out of every hour." or "No vaping until I get done doing this." or "I can oly have 4 mils per day, best stretch it out."

Finally, try using a flavor you really aren't so fond of.

Vapo Marx

ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2013
New York
I've been using Halo juice exclusively although I do plan to branch out later on. I don't know their PG/VG ratio and they ain't telling. I can picture myself getting into DIY juice down the line 'cause that's the kind of guy I am, but it's early days yet.

Using a flavor I'm not really fond of... Clever! I have this one called Belgian Cocoa that makes a great mixer in small amounts but vaped straight up, it's INTENSE. I can't picture myself wantin' to suck on that one all day, for sure. Hmmm...

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
Smoked 1 1/2 PAD of VERY strong analogs. First 3 months vaped 50- 60 ml per week of 36 mg juice...upping my nicotine/ mg wasn't an option and I wasn't worried in the least cuz I knew I had found a healthier alternative to smoking. Give it time and realize you're kicking one of the most powerful addictions known to Man. During my entire vaping journey I've always had a higher nic level for stressful times.
Now vaping 2 mg X 15? ml per week.

mkbilbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2013
Austin, TX
www.thesmilingwolf.com
Hey, I'm really glad to be off tobacco but this is gettin' kinda ridiculous. I used to smoke a cigarette every hour or so but now I'm like a hungry baby on a teat, vaping almost constantly. I don't know if it's because I need to vape a lot more than I smoked to feel satisfied, if it's the novelty factor or if it's just because I like it so much.

I lowered the nicotine level in my juice (except for my first vape of the morning) but I think that might just be encouraging me.

I don't know "chain vaping" is actually any kind of problem.

As I understand it, the absorption of nicotine via smoke is very rapid. The lungs take up the nic (and 4,000 other chemicals, many quite dangerous) and shunt it into the blood stream quickly. I've read the nic can reach the brain in seconds. Ten or even less.

In vaping, the nic is absorbed more slowly and, I would hazard, less per "puff" (after all, smoke in the lungs, that's got to be more, well, "efficient" in delivering chemicals to the blood stream... including the deadly ones).

This whole thing about being addicted to nicotine is smokers get used to having some level of nicotine circulating in their blood stream. Which, when it falls, triggers the infamous "nicotine fit". The cravings. The automatic reaching for the pack and lighter and all.

Since you have some level of nic--whatever that may be--as your normal, you try to maintain that level with whatever "delivery system" you use. I would think that means, in vaping, more frequent use. If the absorption is slower and you get less per "puff", you're going to, you know, puff more.

Ever try the "ultra low" tar/nic brands? The "I wanna quit" brands? I did. You end up smoking a lot more cigs trying to get the same amount of nic. It's pretty frickin' pointless far as smoking goes. Also, expensive as all get out.

Unless you're making yourself sick with too much nicotine (headaches, nausea, such things), I'm not sure there's a problem. In fact, I would suspect it's inevitable people will vape "more" than they smoked. The delivery system is different.

Also, so maybe you enjoy it more. Okay. And? I backed my nic level off because I just like to vape a lot. So what? Still better healthwise than smoking eh?

RoseB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2012
Washington
Good job on hitting the one month mark. During my first couple months I was chain vaporizing non stop. It slowed down. When I have 18 mg liquid I can set my e cig down and forget about it for a while. Sometimes hours. Was a solid 1 1/2 packs to 3 packs a day smoker, and chewed tobacco as well. I understand your concern, but take your time. Give yourself some slack. Quitting smoking is no small feat. I quit cold turkey a decade ago and made an entire year. Just to have one really bad day and started smoking again. Spent almost 10 years trying to quit again. It's an ongoing battle just like any other addiction.

Ohyeathat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 3, 2013
Apple Valley, Ca
I still chain vape but it's only been about 3 weeks for me. It's normal in the transition period. Your retraining your brain to associate vaping with nicotine satisfaction. Completely normal to vape whenever you feel the urge to smoke. I also recommend putting your device in another room. I notice if I keep it too close or hold it while I read, use the computer or iPad I tend to chain vape. It's hard not to when it gives you such satisfaction and is so damn tasty :vapor:

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
Chain vaping isn't a PROBLEM per se, I guess I just imagined I'd take a "vape break" every hour or so instead of puffing on the thing all day long. Plus, I'm burning through the juice pretty fast, about 7ml per day presently.

The first real eye opener for me was after about 3 months. I had gotten really intensely involved in a project and before I knew it 3 hrs had passed without a vape or any kind of "intense nic craving". I was absolutely astounded as previously with analogs I'd get the "drive me up a wall cravings". I run a non profit vape org and have found the strongest habit derived from smoking is the hand to mouth action.
Wishing you the same luck that I've experienced and I really salute you on your accomplishments thus far :thumbs:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread