Hussar Project X RTA Clone (by Coppervape)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
@Zazie and @johnpalley did you two ever get your Carolina Blend cottonman cotton? If so how do you like it?

I tried ordering more Mavaton's Select and likely got the same error you two did. After I contacted Butch (the cottonman himself) he was not aware of the problem and said he'll get it fixed. I ordered four ounces of it via the phone. It came in a pretty big ziplock baggie. While I also use Carolina Blend I do use Mavaton's Select more frequently. I don't get any of that ratty cotton break-in taste, or period of time, compared to most of the more known brands. And it does last much longer. Just my lil 2 cents. :D
IMG_1261cr.jpg

You can always call him direct and place an order if the need be. Butch is real nice + laid back. :thumb:

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
I haven't tried it yet, @ShowMeTwice. I put it away for Sunday best and forgot all about it. I should just use it already instead of saving it for special occasions.
You'll notice you're using less overall as it is thicker in comparison to other cottons.

Same wicking applies in that you should feel some slight resistance moving it side-to-side in your coil.

Not too loose in the coil but not so tight that it warps the shape of your coil.

Good luck!!! :D

johnpalley

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2010
boston
Hi @muth and @johnpalley !!! Sorry I haven't been around in some time. Here are my thoughts on wire for the standard Project X and MTL X...

When I first got my standard X I decided to do exactly as Todd's video using a 24g 3mm ID kanthal coil. That worked nicely for me and was a fine vape. I switched to a 2.5mm ID coil as I think it works best in the X for me and I believe that is the general consensus here. 24g is likely too much for the X. I mean it works and it vaped nicely but I do think 26g wire is better suited for the standard X.

I haven't tried 28g kanthal or 316L regular round wire in the standard X.

I have one X setup with a 32x3/40g 316L twisted fused clapton and a 2.5mm ID and it vapes great.

In another X I have a 26g/36g 316L clapton with a 2.5mm ID and 6 wraps which comes out to 0.42Ω and it's an awesome vape.

With the standard X I vape anywhere from 12-30w (in wattage mode) and also 320-450° in TC/TCR on several different devices. Fully open AF I go higher watts for more of a hybrid MTL/RDL frankenvape as @AngeNZ does and with a closed down AF I go lower watts and tighter-ish MTL with either one AF hole or a 1/2 of the one (each side).

The wires I use are from AVS and Lightning Vapes. Both offer high quality wire. I also use TEMCo for kanthal and 316L (round) as they are high quality and reasonably priced. No Chinesium wire from those vendors!!!

The 26g/36g 316L clapton wire is from AVS. Here: Spooled Clapton Wire 316L SS (26g/30g or 28g/36g)

I've used 28g kanthal and 26g 316L round wire in the MTL X with both 2mm + 2.5mm ID's. I retired my MTL X as I can get the same vape with the standard X. The standard X just gives you more options. A 28g 2.5mm ID coil is too bendy and weak of a wire IMO especially if you go 316L. 26g wire, kanthal or 316L, is likely the best choice IMO along with a 2.5mm ID coil in the standard X.

JohnPalley, I think you can get the vape you are after using the AVS wire I linked above. Or the 36ss/26ss single core clapton at Lightning Vapes. Here: Hybrid Wire Spools - 25'

If you need more info let me know. :)

Wow ... looks like the Project X users here have grown since my last visit. Awesome!!! Welcome everyone.
I'll have a vape on that!!! ;) Cheers all.
Thanks for the response! I gotta tell you I recently bought and tried the 32x3/40g 316L twisted fused clapton wire and I didn't have a good experience using it. It seems like it wasn't creating enough vapor because the wire is too thin. Ive had the best experience so far using the coilology 30x2/40 mtl ni80 fused clapton wire. The best way to use it is a 2.5mm coil at 6 wraps non spaced which is .74 ohms. I vape it at 23 watts.

I find it very puzzling that no one in this thread talks about how finicky this rta is when it comes to coils. Well at least with fused claptons that is. With the coilology and vandy vape fused clapton wire I use I can't do spaced coils at all or it won't wick correctly. What ends up happening is when I vape it theres a slight delay on the crackle and you can tell its not working correctly, then you end up getting burnt hits eventually. If I do 5 wraps non spaced, it works but theres not enough flavor. If I even do 7 wraps non spaced it will have the same wicking problems as the spaced coils. And trust me, Ive tried wicking this thing every way you can possibly think of. Another thing I discovered is the cotton has to be real tight in the coil or the same problems will occur. I grew so frustrated these past couple months trying to get the x to work properly and I only found one way. Im just glad Im able to keep using this cause it puts out great flavor. The only fused clapton coil that works for me is 6 wraps non spaced and I cut the cotton right at the end of the base, do a very light comb at the ends then gently bend it in. I make sure I dont push the cotton in too hard. Then I slice whatever tiny cotton is sticking up on top before I twist the tank on. None of my other rta's are this finicky when it comes to coils. Does anyone know why it acts like this?

ShowMeTwice im curious, How come you use regular wire? I tried using regular Kanthal and ss wire and it seemed like I didn't get alot of flavor. Dont you get way more flavor with fused claptons?

Last edited:

johnpalley

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2010
boston
@Zazie and @johnpalley did you two ever get your Carolina Blend cottonman cotton? If so how do you like it?

I tried ordering more Mavaton's Select and likely got the same error you two did. After I contacted Butch (the cottonman himself) he was not aware of the problem and said he'll get it fixed. I ordered four ounces of it via the phone. It came in a pretty big ziplock baggie. While I also use Carolina Blend I do use Mavaton's Select more frequently. I don't get any of that ratty cotton break-in taste, or period of time, compared to most of the more known brands. And it does last much longer. Just my lil 2 cents. :D
View attachment 847817
You can always call him direct and place an order if the need be. Butch is real nice + laid back. :thumb:
Yup I got the cotton and I ended up not liking it. I think I got the Carolina Blend. It didn't soak up enough juice so I wasn't gettin the same flavor I usually get while using the project x. Im guessing Cottonman prob sells another type that soaks up more juice which I would like better so maybe i'll try a different one some day.

johnpalley

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2010
boston
@johnpalley, do you secure your coil on the inside or outside of the screws?

As with the design, I think that outside is best. Because inside doesn't allow you to take the slack out of the coil.
Always outside for both ends. Fyi Ive prob coiled and wicked my x like 40-50 times since the summer testing out different things. It would be interesting to know what other peoples experiences are using the same size fused clapton wire im using or bigger. I also tried the 2-28/36 ni80 fused clapton wire and had the same wicking issues.

Last edited:

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
Thanks for the response! I gotta tell you I recently bought and tried the 32x3/40g 316L twisted fused clapton wire and I didn't have a good experience using it. It seems like it wasn't creating enough vapor because the wire is too thin. Ive had the best experience so far using the coilology 30x2/40 mtl ni80 fused clapton wire. The best way to use it is a 2.5mm coil at 6 wraps non spaced which is .74 ohms. I vape it at 23 watts.

I find it very puzzling that no one in this thread talks about how finicky this rta is when it comes to coils. Well at least with fused claptons that is. With the coilology and vandy vape fused clapton wire I use I can't do spaced coils at all or it won't wick correctly. What ends up happening is when I vape it theres a slight delay on the crackle and you can tell its not working correctly, then you end up getting burnt hits eventually. If I do 5 wraps non spaced, it works but theres not enough flavor. If I even do 7 wraps non spaced it will have the same wicking problems as the spaced coils. And trust me, Ive tried wicking this thing every way you can possibly think of. Another thing I discovered is the cotton has to be real tight in the coil or the same problems will occur. I grew so frustrated these past couple months trying to get the x to work properly and I only found one way. Im just glad Im able to keep using this cause it puts out great flavor. The only fused clapton coil that works for me is 6 wraps non spaced and I cut the cotton right at the end of the base, do a very light comb at the ends then gently bend it in. I make sure I dont push the cotton in too hard. Then I slice whatever tiny cotton is sticking up on top before I twist the tank on. None of my other rta's are this finicky when it comes to coils. Does anyone know why it acts like this?

ShowMeTwice im curious, How come you use regular wire? I tried using regular Kanthal and ss wire and it seemed like I didn't get alot of flavor. Dont you get way more flavor with fused claptons?

It is interesting how everyone's experiences vary with the Project X. I love it. :)

Currently I have one X setup with a 32x3/40g 316L twisted fused clapton and another with a 26/36 316L clapton. Both wick and vape excellently with great flavor. No problems. I honestly do not think the X is finicky with coils but that is only my experience. Every wire type I've thrown at the X performs very nicely for me.

The way you described your experience with fused claptons leads me to suspect you are using too much wick. The wick was too tight inside the coil. From my experience "real tight" wicking will lead to the exact problems you are experiencing. When you say "real tight" I have no way of knowing exactly what you mean without actually seeing it for myself up close and personal. My mind automagically goes to "that's likely too much". Your "real tight" might be my "just right" ... I don't know.

The basics of wicking for all atty's is simply ... too tight will lead to dry hits/burnt cotton AND too loose will lead to flooding/leaks. You knew that though!!!

When installing a wick, on any atty, there should be some resistance felt in your fingers as you move the wick side-to-side in the coil. Not too much. If your wick is moving freely then there is too little wick. If it is moving the coil and warping its shape then that is too much. I find "just right" to be when the coil moves very slightly from side-to-side with some resistance. With any thinner wire type, like 28g or smaller, you may have to hold the coil in place with a fingernail as you pull the wick through to avoid warping the coil shape.

With cotton I personally like the wick to have slightly more, or a tad more, within the coil. Overall thickness. With rayon you do need to use ~1/3 more, give or take, versus cotton. There is a balance that once found is the sweet spot (cotton or rayon).

Every wire type I've used in the X has worked well for me. I am able to get a great vape and excellent flavor from whatever coil type I install in it. Doesn't matter if it's plain kanthal, simple round 316L or a clapton. Also, for me, it doesn't matter if I am using cotton or Tidi rayon ... I am able to get a great vape.

In the following photo (prior to dry burn) I have a spaced 26/36 316L clapton 2.5ID 6 wrap coil that comes in at 0.45Ω (LV wire I linked a page back). Note the coil is secured on the insides of the screws. With a coil this size, and spacing, securing it to the inner sides works nicely and retains my desired spacing. If my coil was 8 wraps I would have slightly increased the spacing and secured it to the outer sides of the screws. Is it best, or better, to secure on one side or the other? No, not at all, doesn't matter IMO. I secure based on coil size only and have done it both ways ... the X still vapes great either way.
IMG_1245cr.jpg

Coil spacing ... does it matter? Here we are likely getting rather nitpicky. I am not a fan of widely spaced coil wraps because I don't feel they perform well - my opinion only - doesn't make it wrong or right. My preference is for the wraps to be more closely spaced/tighter. In all the coil photo's I've seen it appears to me that more closely spaced wraps are the general consensus. I've made coils with wider spacing and for me they don't perform as well as a tighter spaced coil does. I've seen explanations for this but can't find that in a quickie search ATM.

I've also used plain kanthal setup as a contact coil, or non-spaced, in the X and it vapes nicely with excellent flavor. For me personally I am able to use any wire type and get great flavor. Some swear by this and that wire type but honestly it all comes down to whatever works for each person is the correct, and best, route for that person. Maybe I'm just lucky with being able to use many wire types. I don't think so but who knows. Also I am not real fussy with having to use this or that in order to get a great vape/flavor. I like to switch things up, a lot.

In the end for any RTA it all comes down to wicking. Wicking is where the art lies ... IMO. Anyone can be taught to roll up a good coil.

I don't know if you have more than one Project X or not. But if you do have 2 ... and are willing to send one to me I will set it up with either a 32x3/40g 316L twisted fused clapton or a 26/36 316L clapton, or clapton wire you send, test it and then return it to you so you can see how I did it, vape it and check it out and see what you think. Just a thought. Let me know and we can go from there.

Wowza ... this got long!!! Apologies ;)

Last edited:

Janusz

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2018
Illinois, USA
It is interesting how everyone's experiences vary with the Project X. I love it. :)

Currently I have one X setup with a 32x3/40g 316L twisted fused clapton and another with a 26/36 316L clapton. Both wick and vape excellently with great flavor. No problems. I honestly do not think the X is finicky with coils but that is only my experience. Every wire type I've thrown at the X performs very nicely for me.

The way you described your experience with fused claptons leads me to suspect you are using too much wick. The wick was too tight inside the coil. From my experience "real tight" wicking will lead to the exact problems you are experiencing. When you say "real tight" I have no way of knowing exactly what you mean without actually seeing it for myself up close and personal. My mind automagically goes to "that's likely too much". Your "real tight" might be my "just right" ... I don't know.

The basics of wicking for all atty's is simply ... too tight will lead to dry hits/burnt cotton AND too loose will lead to flooding/leaks. You knew that though!!!

When installing a wick, on any atty, there should be some resistance felt in your fingers as you move the wick side-to-side in the coil. Not too much. If your wick is moving freely then there is too little wick. If it is moving the coil and warping its shape then that is too much. I find "just right" to be when the coil moves very slightly from side-to-side with some resistance. With any thinner wire type, like 28g or smaller, you may have to hold the coil in place with a fingernail as you pull the wick through to avoid warping the coil shape.

With cotton I personally like the wick to have slightly more, or a tad more, within the coil. Overall thickness. With rayon you do need to use ~1/3 more, give or take, versus cotton. There is a balance that once found is the sweet spot (cotton or rayon).

Every wire type I've used in the X has worked well for me. I am able to get a great vape and excellent flavor from whatever coil type I install in it. Doesn't matter if it's plain kanthal, simple round 316L or a clapton. Also, for me, it doesn't matter if I am using cotton or Tidi rayon ... I am able to get a great vape.

In the following photo (prior to dry burn) I have a spaced 26/36 316L clapton 2.5ID 6 wrap coil that comes in at 0.45Ω (LV wire I linked a page back). Note the coil is secured on the insides of the screws. With a coil this size, and spacing, securing it to the inner sides works nicely and retains my desired spacing. If my coil was 8 wraps I would have slightly increased the spacing and secured it to the outer sides of the screws. Is it best, or better, to secure on one side or the other? No, not at all, doesn't matter IMO. I secure based on coil size only and have done it both ways ... the X still vapes great either way.
View attachment 848009
Coil spacing ... does it matter? Here we are likely getting rather nitpicky. I am not a fan of widely spaced coil wraps because I don't feel they perform well - my opinion only - doesn't make it wrong or right. My preference is for the wraps to be more closely spaced/tighter. In all the coil photo's I've seen it appears to me that more closely spaced wraps are the general consensus. I've made coils with wider spacing and for me they don't perform as well as a tighter spaced coil does. I've seen explanations for this but can't find that in a quickie search ATM.

I've also used plain kanthal setup as a contact coil, or non-spaced, in the X and it vapes nicely with excellent flavor. For me personally I am able to use any wire type and get great flavor. Some swear by this and that wire type but honestly it all comes down to whatever works for each person is the correct, and best, route for that person. Maybe I'm just lucky with being able to use many wire types. I don't think so but who knows. Also I am not real fussy with having to use this or that in order to get a great vape/flavor. I like to switch things up, a lot.

In the end for any RTA it all comes down to wicking. Wicking is where the art lies ... IMO. Anyone can be taught to roll up a good coil.

I don't know if you have more than one Project X or not. But if you do have 2 ... and are willing to send one to me I will set it up with either a 32x3/40g 316L twisted fused clapton or a 26/36 316L clapton, or clapton wire you send, test it and then return it to you so you can see how I did it, vape it and check it out and see what you think. Just a thought. Let me know and we can go from there.

Wowza ... this got long!!! Apologies ;)

WOW!!! I can say only one thing... I agree with you 100% for every sentence you wrote in this post. :)

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    I've used baby claptons, and plain 28ga ss316l. Amazing flavour from both - I mainly use just single wire now, as I find it quicker to clean (I like sweet flavours ;))

With regard to the straightness of the coil - if you let the coil rod sit in the grooves, install the coil, and gently slide the rod out - it should be in the perfect position for flavour and be straight :thumb:

Janusz

ECF Veteran
    Feb 22, 2018
    Illinois, USA
    I've used baby claptons, and plain 28ga ss316l. Amazing flavour from both - I mainly use just single wire now, as I find it quicker to clean (I like sweet flavours ;))

With regard to the straightness of the coil - if you let the coil rod sit in the grooves, install the coil, and gently slide the rod out - it should be in the perfect position for flavour and be straight :thumb:

I also do not noticed any difference in flavor but I prefer regular single kanthal 26 gauge wire over clapton because I change coil and wick every other day and I am finding it easier to wrap coil and wicking it with single round wire. I never clean my coils as cleaning takes for me more time than installing new... :) and 100 feet of Kanthal wire costed me $6 (that is enough wire to make over 200 coils....:) I have also 26 and 28 gauge SS round wire but I like 26 gauge the best... 28gauge is way too flimsy for my fingers:D one thing I still want to try is 24 gauge...:cool::)

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    The Forest
    I'm starting to think folks, that the coil has to be as straight as possible when it's installed. Otherwise the wicking doesn't work very well.
    Note: I started this post just before today's ECF crash. Now that ECF is back I'm letting her rip...

In a hurry I've installed a rather crooked coil in the X but with proper wicking it vaped fine.

I would simply add the following ... once installed the coil should look similar to the photo below and lining your coil up to be centered with the AF holes on each side is optimal for the X.

After the coil is screwed down use the coiling tool and align the center of the coil with the cutouts on each side of the deck base. Your coiling tool will sit perfectly in the cutouts. Push down on the coil with the coiling tool in the coil. That will properly align the bottom inside of your coil to the bottom of the cutouts.

Leave your coiling tool inserted in the coil and use your fingernail, or a screwdriver, and adjust the coil (left/right) to center it to the AF holes.
    IMG_1246cr.jpg

The bottom inside of my coil lines up very nicely with the bottom of the cutout on each side of the build deck. My trying to get a photo perfectly lined up to show that was another matter altogether. :nah:

Here is the same coil wicked (cotton) and juiced. After putting the tank together it vaped nicely with excellent flavor. I'm vaping it now as I type.
    IMG_1250cr.jpg

Your coil doesn't need to be perfectly aligned mathematically in order to obtain a great vape. ;) And you don't need a college degree @muth to get the Project X vaping great. ;) This isn't rocket science.

Certainly there is some trial and error involved in order for each person to find their sweet spot with a coil and wicking setup but once one gets that down it is easy to reproduce. Just like any other RTA.

My :2c: cheers :D

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    I also do not noticed any difference in flavor but I prefer regular single kanthal 26 gauge wire over clapton because I change coil and wick every other day and I am finding it easier to wrap coil and wicking it with single round wire. I never clean my coils as cleaning takes for me more time than installing new... :) and 100 feet of Kanthal wire costed me $6 (that is enough wire to make over 200 coils....:) I have also 26 and 28 gauge SS round wire but I like 26 gauge the best... 28gauge is way too flimsy for my fingers:D one thing I still want to try is 24 gauge...:cool::)

Go all out and try 22ga :lol: And yes, 28ga is definitely flimsy. I started building with it, and unfortunately got used to the instant ramp up at 15w - and that's the main reason I've stuck with it, even though 26ga is MUCH easier to work with :thumb:

Tig7

Aug 29, 2019
    Blue Ridge Mtns.

View attachment 847817
    If it's not a bother do you have a link or contact info for this cotton?

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    The Forest
    If it's not a bother do you have a link or contact info for this cotton?
    It's not a bother at all. :D

I use both Mavaton's Select and Carolina Blend.

Carolina Blend: Carolina Blend 200mm

Mavaton's Select: Mavaton's Select
    I'm not sure if Butch got that page working correctly yet. If not you can always call him to place an order. Butch is a super nice guy and very laid back.

He also sells some other ones for wicking. You'll see those when navigating his site.

Hope that helps...

• Useful
    Reactions: AngeNZ

Tig7

Aug 29, 2019
    Blue Ridge Mtns.
    It's not a bother at all. :D

I use both Mavaton's Select and Carolina Blend.

Carolina Blend: Carolina Blend 200mm

Mavaton's Select: Mavaton's Select
    I'm not sure if Butch got that page working correctly yet. If not you can always call him to place an order. Butch is a super nice guy and very laid back.

He also sells some other ones for wicking. You'll see those when navigating his site.

Hope that helps...
    Thanks much I bookmarked both sites. :thumb:

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread