Hussar Project X RTA Clone (by Coppervape)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
vape Muppet" data-source="post: 21884069" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
vape Muppet said:
Seems that way at the moment. My latest leaving Nanjing has been in transit for 7 days which is odd because the same tracking on Royal Mail says it hasn't left China yet. Like all things FT it will get here eventually I suppose.
I have a packaged shipped the 13th of June. Usually arrives in the USA anywhere from 7-14 days.

Vape Muppet

Apr 12, 2019
UK
I have a packaged shipped the 13th of June. Usually arrives in the USA anywhere from 7-14 days.

Mine are usually within 6 days to the UK. The last one due to that Beijing mess took just short of 3 weeks. Latest order from Nanjing was sent on the 20th, not quite as bad as yours but still not here. I admit its annoying when you really want something.

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
vape Muppet" data-source="post: 21884163" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
vape Muppet said:
Mine are usually within 6 days to the UK. The last one due to that Beijing mess took just short of 3 weeks. Latest order from Nanjing was sent on the 20th, not quite as bad as yours but still not here. I admit its annoying when you really want something.
The package on the 13th was just DT’s & spare tanks. But I really want the Project X :p shipped the 20th but as of the 22nd is still awaiting shipment, gaaah!

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
I have a feeling that FT’s diverting mail to Nanjing to avoid packages being returned to them is going to take a lot longer to arrive than usual. :|
I agree ... my X, and a couple other orders of mine, are still touring Nanjing. Do hope it's a nice city. :confused:

• Agree
Reactions: AngeNZ

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    So I tried another wicking technique today - had to change to boysenberry, so why not? ;)

I actually prefer it over the short wicks/thinned wicks versions I've already tried - and yes I'm like a kid playing with toys :thumb:

Here it is (in French ;))

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 10, 2015
    So I tried another wicking technique today - had to change to boysenberry, so why not? ;)

I actually prefer it over the short wicks/thinned wicks versions I've already tried - and yes I'm like a kid playing with toys :thumb:

Here it is (in French ;))

Yay! Have fun! I’m going to watch the vid. Thanks!

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    @AngeNZ thanks for posting the vid. Even better than all the other techniques as this is the way I generally wick. I use rayon but I can just thin a little & fluff & cut 2-3mm from deck & tuck. :wub:

It's more my style too with cotton - I have to thin with the Hotcig centaur mini RTA, but everything else gets a full wick and a poke. It just felt right using this method, and it certainly is the quickest and easiest ;)

• Love
    Reactions: Heartsdelight

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    And it’s wicking well I assume? ;)

Like a charm :D I think it's the gently tucking the ends in part that makes all the difference, plus keeping it flooffy - no dry hits, no juice in airflow holes, nothing but flavour :thumb: I'm using 30/70 pg/VG juice.

If dry hits happen, then the shorter wick technique above may work better.

We all obviously wick differently, vape differently and use different ratios of pg/VG - so there's certainly no one specific correct way to wick an RTA.

Janusz

ECF Veteran
    Feb 22, 2018
    Illinois, USA
    Like a charm :D I think it's the gently tucking the ends in part that makes all the difference, plus keeping it flooffy - no dry hits, no juice in airflow holes, nothing but flavour :thumb: I'm using 30/70 pg/VG juice.

If dry hits happen, then the shorter wick technique above may work better.

We all obviously wick differently, vape differently and use different ratios of pg/VG - so there's certainly no one specific correct way to wick an RTA.

I tried short wick technique and in my style of vaping it works flawlessly... exceptional flavor and no leaks. I am afraid with the "French" technique I would get dry hits or compromised flavor.

I am puzzled why you got dry hits with short wick??? I would think with short wick there is more probability of leaking than dry hits ??? The only guess I have is that dull scissors compressed wick too much, too tight wick inside coil... or... you forgot to open juice flow control...o_O

I have to disagree that "french" technique is easier... if you have sharp small scissors "short" is extremely easy... two snips from each side and I am done... no hassle to gently place wick inside well. I am chain vaper... my logic tell me the shorter wick is the faster it wicks... and from two day of using short wick I experience difference...with short wick Hussar become my best wicking atty even edging very slightly previous champion EVL Reaper and flavor also improved... but as you said "We all obviously wick differently, vape differently":)

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 10, 2015
    I tried short wick technique and in my style of vaping it works flawlessly... exceptional flavor and no leaks. I am afraid with the "French" technique I would get dry hits or compromised flavor.

I am puzzled why you got dry hits with short wick??? I would think with short wick there is more probability of leaking than dry hits ??? The only guess I have is that dull scissors compressed wick too much, too tight wick inside coil... or... you forgot to open juice flow control...o_O

I have to disagree that "french" technique is easier... if you have sharp small scissors "short" is extremely easy... two snips from each side and I am done... no hassle to gently place wick inside well. I am chain vaper... my logic tell me the shorter wick is the faster it wicks... and from two day of using short wick I experience difference...with short wick Hussar become my best wicking atty even edging very slightly previous champion EVL Reaper and flavor also improved... but as you said "We all obviously wick differently, vape differently":)
    That’s the beauty, different strokes for different folks. Love hearing/sharing ideas & techniques.

What coils & i.d. & what ohms are your coils?

Vape Muppet

Apr 12, 2019
    UK
    I agree with Janusz. That French technique is the typical way I wick most RTA's but for the Project X that's a lot of cotton. With such a raised bump the wick tends to get trapped when you put the deck back in and it can stifle the juice flow and lead to dry hits and certainly did lead to flavour loss.

I wick mine just like the Hussar Vapes video. Make sure the cotton is long enough to fit in the well and then cut from the end up the wicks at a 45° angle. Then I comb out the cotton so it's light and fluffy before pressing it loosely in the wells. I then take a small screwdriver and pull the cotton back slightly from the edge of the well. Finally I press the cotton where it comes out of the well down lightly. Seems to give me the best performance and flavour.

Hussar, Project X and Reaper V3 all need far less cotton than you might think.

charlie1465

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 30, 2014
    Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France
    Seems that way at the moment. My latest leaving Nanjing has been in transit for 7 days which is odd because the same tracking on Royal Mail says it hasn't left China yet. Like all things FT it will get here eventually I suppose.
    I hope the same thing isn't going to happen as with me. One of my reroutes got rejected by customs. Mind you FT said they would just repost the exact same parcel and sure enough it now says it's going to France....I don't tend to trust them completely until it lands on French soil :)

Janusz

ECF Veteran
    Feb 22, 2018
    Illinois, USA
    I agree with Janusz. That French technique is the typical way I wick most RTA's but for the Project X that's a lot of cotton. With such a raised bump the wick tends to get trapped when you put the deck back in and it can stifle the juice flow and lead to dry hits and certainly did lead to flavour loss.

I wick mine just like the Hussar Vapes video. Make sure the cotton is long enough to fit in the well and then cut from the end up the wicks at a 45° angle. Then I comb out the cotton so it's light and fluffy before pressing it loosely in the wells. I then take a small screwdriver and pull the cotton back slightly from the edge of the well. Finally I press the cotton where it comes out of the well down lightly. Seems to give me the best performance and flavour.

Hussar, Project X and Reaper V3 all need far less cotton than you might think.

For once try short wick such as in this video below (at 19:25). Extremelly easy and wicks fantastic.

Vape Muppet

Apr 12, 2019
    UK
    I hope the same thing isn't going to happen as with me. One of my reroutes got rejected by customs. Mind you FT said they would just repost the exact same parcel and sure enough it now says it's going to France....I don't tend to trust them completely until it lands on French soil :)

No idea Charlie. I haven't seen anything strange show up on the tracking yet such as a security return like that Beijing mess the other week. But things aren't really moving out of Nanjing either at the moment. I never trust I am really going to get it until the tracking says "Customs Release" and that means it's in the UK and not stuck in Langley. I've often thought Heathrow Worldwide Distribution Centre looks a lot like this image. How many clone RTA's from FT do you think are still stuck in there? :D

raiders_of_the_lost_ark_end.jpg

Vape Muppet

Apr 12, 2019
    UK
    For once try short wick such as in this video below (at 19:25). Extremelly easy and wicks fantastic.

Thanks but I have done that method with a Stainless Steel coil. I watch Klaus's videos often. I use his method for wicking my Skyline. Problem I found with the short wick is that if the juice is very thin 50/50 I got some leaks after a few refills. But I really suspect that is because my Project X extension tank isn't very good. The juice flow control on it sticks way too often no matter how well I lube the O-rings.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand

The first time I got a dry hit off it - I'd obviously cut it way too short, so that's how it happened, no juice to the coil at all ;)

Vape Muppet

Apr 12, 2019
    UK
    :w00t::sneaky:;) Dry hit without any leak...:shock:...nah... I bet you forgot turn JFC...:lol:

LOL. Happens to us all at some point. The one thing I would really change about the Project X is that stupid orange line on the PEI tank. I've lost track of how many times I vaped it thinking there was juice left. I only use it in Temp Control now because I don't trust myself. :D

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread