I have to complain!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

j3000

ECF Veteran
Aug 27, 2012
Michigan
When I started vaping I thought of a vape shop like a modern day donut shop. Place to go and relax and be surrounded by people how have the same interests. Unfortunately for me the closest vape shop is not like that. But I have been to some that are and it was one of the highlights of my trips..

Ipster

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2012
Hawaii, SAR,HongKong (Stanley)
Hi J3!
Umm, youre not “older” from my POV. That said, Im either 30miles or 120miles to B&M vape shops, yet
All of us at some point are pinched for a batt, juice or some hardware, needing a Vape Shop, so my hearts with you.
Its a change over past couple years Ive seen (B&Ms) taken over by cloud chasers. Imho >25-26yrs.

By the way seems world wide- places to hang and blow clouds. Yes I ve been treated rudely too, usually when I’ll ask questions: (Fyi- all you carry are “EFests in 18650”.?) Ive also seen that if Im not interested in buying aredware from them, they seem to want me out of the shop. I prefer to look around and see whats trending.
I chock it up to being called “Maam” or similar and dont let it get to me.

I am thankful to some of the shop owners for their efforts in battling legislation or legalisation depending on where im at,
I may not be part of major demographics for customer base but im OK with it.
Dont you have certain stores that you go to only for specific purchases? Maybe you can think of it like that.
I know I feel that way toward the USʻs Needless Markups (Neiman Marcus).

Cheers

Reyth_

Oct 15, 2017
I used to smoke a pipe and went to my smoke shop to do that. They were very friendly and gave me tonnes of advice. They had a small area with vaping equipment but everyone came in there for pipes and cigars. When I switched to vaping I did so with the full knowledge that I would be saving money over pipe tobacco and gaining the convenience of not having to drive 1 hour round trip to enjoy nicotine. Every transaction since has always been online. After Johnson Creek went out of business I got advice here for where to go and simply bought where I was directed without the slightest doubt. I am a happy online vaper. Thanks ECF! :)

Ipster

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2012
Hawaii, SAR,HongKong (Stanley)
When I started vaping I thought of a vape shop like a modern day donut shop. Place to go and relax and be surrounded by people how have the same interests. Unfortunately for me the closest vape shop is not like that. But I have been to some that are and it was one of the highlights of my trips..

Oh, yep those were nice. I think ones Ive seen lately are perhaps catering to cloud chaser but providing the same stsy and enjoy atmosphere for them. Its just not my thangʻ. I know of one that has big screens couches and varying ages, tastes but theyre getting few and far in between. I look forward to a day when the ANTZ relax, we can vape in bars, restaurants, etc.
Cheers

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Chicago
I'm 50, and personally could care less what the employee looks like or how they talk, as long as they are helpful. Being from Kansas I have run into far more asses in cowboy hats/boots than those with tattoos and piercings.

Here in Chicago, the inverse is true. Far more asses here have full sleeve tattoos and earlobes the size of hula hoops (which I don't mind because if the guy is wang, you grab them and bang his head off the counter. Where the earlobes go, the head follows no matter what is coming at it. One day I might sneak one of those locking carabiners onto an earlobe and lead the dog around town like a dog. I haven't decided, some might call it kidnapping, but come on, that would be hysterical. Hysterical for me, not for him.). I have yet to see a cowboy hat in a vape shop. I saw them more around town being worn by suburbanites during the Urban Cowboy era.

j3000

ECF Veteran
Aug 27, 2012
Michigan
I'll admit like I said in other posts I'm 6"2 weigh 260 pounds have tattoos from my neck down, with a full long beard shaved head and a seeing eye pitbull mix dog with a pink spiked collar that's say cricket on it.. But I'm one of the nicest most considerate people you will ever meet I say yes mam yes sir no mam no sir and if someone's busy or having a bad day I will tell them to relax and take your time I'm not in a big hurry.. I would like to see the same consideration given to me especially if I drove a hour to your shop. And I do shop alot online.

NicotineRush

Linux Mint/Mate
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2008
Living 'Off Grid'
67 here. I live out in the woods and totally off grid. I don't even know where the closet shop is. All online for me.
ANY retailer that treats it's customers like crap deserves what they get.

I get all my vape advice here on ECF. ECF has been a constant companion for me for many years. I've been online since the beginning of the internet, (remember CompuServe bulletin boards?), and I can say without a doubt, ECF has been the finest forum and members I've ever had the pleasure of being associated with.

@puffon: Lived in Vero for 40 years. Mailman there for 28.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    I'm now 77 years old. Even back in 2010-11 it was obvious to me that there had to be a better way.
    Everyone from health departments , and state governments, to the FDA has wanted to make vaping impossible. When we add the evolving vape shop environment to the mix it became obvious to me that the only alternative was to just do it myself.

I haven't even been in a vape shop in 4 years or so. The only thing I have bought on line in the past year or so are a few new batteries. I have more than enough (old school) mods & atomizers to last a lifetime for me. (and then some) I wrap my own coils and make my own liquids.

Fact is there isn't a device that I use that is even made anymore. So there is nothing in a vape shop that I want.
    So, for me, "self reliance" is the only way.
    And, at my age, I can probably vape for the rest of my life without ever spending another red cent!

Last edited:

ImJustAvg

ECF Veteran
    Nov 3, 2010
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    That is quite common as we get older! The younger folks think that you are senile or just haven't kept up with the times! The vape shop in Aurora, Colorado was great when they first opened, but then they seemed to change attitude all of a sudden! Prices jumped to double of what you could find on the internet, and even their liquid were way high! Although I would buy the majority of my supplies on the net, I would still stop in when I was in the area. And would always buy something, just to support them! But the last two times I was in there, I was treated like I was a "know nothing" old man! While I might not know much about the monster mods some of you people build, I have been vaping since pretty close to the beginning! And have converted close to 200 people to vaping! And a lot of those are people I often are in contact with! And when I am asked for advice by one of them, I will not recommend that vape shop again, like I used too! And I always stop at the donuts shop that is only two doors down from them, but won't be stopping in to check out their new things from now on!

catilley1092

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 3, 2013
    North Carolina, USA
    ANY retailer that treats it's customers like crap deserves what they get.

I get all my vape advice here on ECF. ECF has been a constant companion for me for many years. I've been online since the beginning of the internet, (remember CompuServe bulletin boards?), and I can say without a doubt, ECF has been the finest forum and members I've ever had the pleasure of being associated with.

@puffon: Lived in Vero for 40 years. Mailman there for 28.

+1 to All!:thumbs:

As the population gets older, these vape shops will have to get in tune with the times, cloud chasers cannot sustain a business unless the local area is loaded with those who vapes in this manner.:)

Other than my best friend, who turned me onto vaping, and a few battery sites he led me to (mainly to educate myself on safety), in addition to CASSA & ECF, which has been my #1 or 'go to' site for most all of my questions. Beginning with the eGo days of 2013-14, latter in the latter year, mechanical mods, a year later box mods. Throughout all of these years, learning how to rebuild coils of most types, even the single core Kangertech type (white & black 5 pack boxes) & later the Kangertech mini sub-ohm tanks, also sold in packs of 5. Learned how to make horizontal colis from the verticals included with tank, the extra supplied 0.5 ohm makes a perfect coil with 28 gauge TEMCo SS 316L.

I love this community whom has supported me with open arms, answering anything asked, or searched through the various sections for what was needed. ECF is the best source for all stages of those who vapes, regardless of age or any other factor.:)

BTW, looking at your avatar, we have another thing in common, Linux Mint MATE, soon to release version 19 in 3-4 months, is my favorite OS & has been for over 9 years. Windows requires so much upkeep & we're always a click away from a Malware infected system, fortunately these threats doesn't phase Linux OS's or 'distros', because cannot execute a .exe file. Nor can the opening of emails with a payload cause harm.:thumb:

As for me, don't really care to go into a vape shop anymore. Not only because of my age, am also disabled and it's just too much effort for me to get out, go somewhere & they don't have what's needed or hasn't a clue as to what I'm speaking of the few times I asked. Last time I went into one looking for hardware, wanted a Nitecore Intellicharger & the clerk comes back with a USB charger that looked like it came out of a mod kit.:D

Walked out & haven't returned since, found what was needed on eBay for $12.99 shipped, brand new and sealed. Was a version from a couple of years prior (2014), all that mattered to me was that it worked & to this day, still does & at least twice daily. If it goes out on next usage, will buy a 2016 model of the same.:)

Regardless of type of business, if I see an elderly or disabled person mistreated due to that reason only, will never set foot through their doors again. Period.

Cat

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2013
    Sugar Hill, Georgia
    It's pretty ironic.... If you were watching the news at 6:00 and the anchorman said "After a quick commercial, we will be interviewing Dave. Dave's a vaper from Sacramento who's here to answer a few questions and do a demonstration about this new thing that's sweeping the country..."

I don't know about you, but during the commercials, I'd be praying to God that Dave is an old dude.....

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    I just turned a young 67. Still do the home gym workouts a couple of times a week, but I'm feeling the years more these days. Lighter weights and more reps as I age!

The only vape shop I visit once a year or so is Stormy's Vapor Cellar. It's about 2 miles from my home. The entire vaping industry has gone nuts over "look at me" clouds. I've tried my friend's DTL 80W atomizer and it's cool to see a thick stream come out of my lungs, but it isn't something I care for. Heck, it's a dead giveaway in public and I'm more of a stealth vapor in a mall.

Stormy's is still about providing solid information to vapers and they sell quality products at full retail prices. They also have a mail order and shipping section next door to the main retail store. Last count there were 5 Stormy's locations in surrounding towns.

I just don't buy a lot of hardware these days and all my juice is DIY. Sometimes, I go in and if the price is reasonable I'll buy something. As time goes on I visit B&M vape stores less and less.

Vape shops serve an important purpose in educating the customer. With online purchases all you get is the hardware and a receipt. Stormy's people go through a basic training course before they can work the counter and there's always a floor supervisor walking around and making sure people are getting good info from the sales people. As far as I can tell they spout the company line and it's accurate when I hear them answer a customer's question.

I can't say that about most of the other small shops I've visited. You have to walk past the swords, leather goods, hippy items, and really look for the one counter that has vaping stuff on display. Too many shops these days treat vaping as a sideline to their main moneymaker items.

Last edited:

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2013
    Sugar Hill, Georgia
    I just turned a young 67. Still do the home gym workouts a couple of times a week, but I'm feeling the years more these days. Lighter weights and more reps as I age!

The only vape shop I visit once a year or so is Stormy's Vapor Cellar. It's about 2 miles from my home. The entire vaping industry has gone nuts over "look at me" clouds. I've tried my friend's DTL 80W atomizer and it's cool to see a thick stream come out of my lungs, but it isn't something I care for. Heck, it's a dead giveaway in public and I'm more of a stealth vapor in a mall.

Stormy's is still about providing solid information to vapers and they sell quality products at full retail prices. They also have a mail order and shipping section next door to the main retail store. Last count there were 5 Stormy's locations in surrounding towns.

I just don't buy a lot of hardware these days and all my juice is DIY. Sometimes, I go in and if the price is reasonable I'll buy something. As time goes on I visit B&M vape stores less and less.

Vape shops serve an important purpose in educating the customer. With online purchases all you get is the hardware and a receipt. Stormy's people go through a basic training course before they can work the counter and there's always a floor supervisor walking around and making sure people are getting good info from the sales people. As far as I can tell they spout the company line and it's accurate when I hear them answer a customer's question.

I can't say that about most of the other small shops I've visited. You have to walk past the swords, leather goods, hippy items, and really look for the one counter that has vaping stuff on display. Too many shops these days treat vaping as a sideline to their main moneymaker items.
    I've been to stormys many times....everytime I work in Macon, as a matter of fact. I concur...good folks who still have their feet planted in where vaping began .

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    I've been to stormys many times....everytime I work in Macon, as a matter of fact. I concur...good folks who still have their feet planted in where vaping began .

Agree. My first local purchases were from Stormy's when there was no store back in 2010-2011. Carolyn and her sister worked out of their basement and shipped all over. Now, there's 5 or more stores in the area churning out vaping products and supplies OTC and to wherever USPS mail runs. They have a pretty tight operation in GA.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2013
    Sugar Hill, Georgia
    Agree. My first local purchases were from Stormy's when there was no store back in 2010-2011. Carolyn and her sister worked out of their basement and shipped all over. Now, there's 5 or more stores in the area churning out vaping products and supplies OTC and to wherever USPS mail runs. They have a pretty tight operation in GA.
    If the boys in Bibb County would give me some more schools to tear down, I'd meet you for a vape.....maybe even pick a little. But, NOOOOOOO! I haven't had any work down there in a couple years .

Crafting Clouds

Mar 22, 2018
    Damn, too bad you had those experiences. I rarely shop at b+ms anymore but when I did I really had nothing that bad happen to me. 1 shop got kinda put out that I was asking about the flavor profiles of their juice (wanted to hang out with friends in the shop) but were never outright rude.
    Other shop is cool, customers/friends in store actually moved out of my way so I could look at their selection ,they were at the counter and relocated to continue their convos which was nice.
    But I mainly shop online anymore just can't beat the prices.

chellie

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 24, 2014
    USA
    I'm a older vaper, and I'm sick and tired of these vape shop owners and workers treating us older vapers like crap, ignoring us acting like we are the dumbest people who ever lived when we ask a question.. I went into this vape shop here in Northern Michigan, and we are limited to shops, and this has happened to me more than once the eye rolls the deep breaths and once I was asked if I was stupid.. I'm sick of this considering I have disposable income to spend in there shops.. Has this problem ever happened to anyone else.
    There is a local vape shop within minutes of my residence. One employee has rubbed some customers the wrong way and just has a nasty demeanor. I had a run-in with him and I stopped going. I buy most of my supplies online and have found one or two shops where the employees are friendly and knowledgeable Not sure if in my case if it was age related - he seemed nasty and argumentative with most everyone.

miyalikk

Multiple ID Suspension
    Mar 21, 2018
    • Deleted by retired1
    • Reason: Multiple ID Company
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread