Status
Not open for further replies.

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
I go into vape shops just to tick them off nowadays...I usually walk in and look as stupid as I can muster. At 6'2" with a buzz cut, dirty jeans, tee shirt with stains and a hole or two, and a grungy ball cap, I walk around like Gomer Pyle lookin' at all the shiny mods and blingy atties under the glass.

"Can I help you?", they usually ask. "Nope, I'm beyond help" is my usual reply. At this point I just keep eyeballin' the stuff under the glass and emit the offhand comment here and there about some new thing I may not have seen before.

The usual way things go is they will ask if I want to sample some juice... this is where it gets fun. "nah, I been makin' my own baccy juice for years now, I ain't bought juice since 2013 or so abouts".

"Orrrreally?" the kid will spout. "Make your own eh?" "Yup, I just come in to see what ya got and what's out there these days".

If they are nice, we'll usually have a good talk, and I'll snag a box of Nautilus coils or Aspire BVC coils; if they stock them. Sometimes I'll grab a drip tip or look through the clearance bin if they have one, snagged a few good deals that way.

I've steered a few clerks to this site, and given a few some pointers on how to get into DIY...most, not really interested. They find it strange and give me weird looks when I tell them how inexpensive vaping can be. It is what it is. I guess I am what some call, a time waster. :lol:

Weenie66

Mar 4, 2018
Chicagoland
I'm surprised they wanted the other bottle of juice back... they would just have to throw it away anyhow.

IMHO, no reputable shop would ever take a return on juice once it left their shop.

Even unopened ... the proper call would be to let you keep it.
Now that I think about that your right, the packing was still on it, but he probably threw it out. It was my fault, I did ask for the one he exchanged, he could of said sorry can't take it back and make me purchase the other one. It was same flavor but the 1st had 4mg reg nic and I should of got one with no nic because I was mixing it with concentrated 45mg salt nic that i purchased elsewhere. I'm still learning and either way he was being nice about it. Maybe it was a way to say; I'll be nice but, I can't keep replacing and letting you keep the mistakes that you made! Lol.....

Jooboy

Dec 20, 2013
uk
I'm a older vaper, and I'm sick and tired of these vape shop owners and workers treating us older vapers like crap, ignoring us acting like we are the dumbest people who ever lived when we ask a question.. I went into this vape shop here in Northern Michigan, and we are limited to shops, and this has happened to me more than once the eye rolls the deep breaths and once I was asked if I was stupid.. I'm sick of this considering I have disposable income to spend in there shops.. Has this problem ever happened to anyone else.

I used to run a shop as part of a Doctors Surgery and the majority of our customers were above 55 and hate medical conditions.. A lot of them liked High strength Nicotine juices which are illegal now..
In the UK he entire juice market is a mess. There are thousands of fakes and terrible quality nicotine "Shots" ...
I really feel for the older vaper who just wants to keep off the ciggies and have a consistent product.

I'm a older vaper, and I'm sick and tired of these vape shop owners and workers treating us older vapers like crap, ignoring us acting like we are the dumbest people who ever lived when we ask a question.. I went into this vape shop here in Northern Michigan, and we are limited to shops, and this has happened to me more than once the eye rolls the deep breaths and once I was asked if I was stupid.. I'm sick of this considering I have disposable income to spend in there shops.. Has this problem ever happened to anyone else.[/QUOT
I'm older as well. I've been vaping for nine years. I can't remember the last time I was in a shop. Unless you need something immediatley it's just not practical to go to a shop. I get everything from good online shops. Also, I have been mixing my own juice for years as well as make my own coils. For proprietary coils, I get them from China. They are authentic and are as much as 50% less than in a shop. Shipping takes a while but it's free and well worth it. Fasttech and 3FVape are the two I use most. I've never had a problem with them. Once you get familiar with thier system it's easy. Use PayPal. As far as questions go you can just post on Ecf or search for the answer your looking for. Probably the best thing is to hit youtube for the information you need. I'm across the lake from you in northern Illinois. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions. I'm more than happy to help out a fellow "older vaper". Lrigco@gmail.com

juskiddin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2015
Canada
I'm sorry your experience was negative; there is no excuse for bad customer service, especially rude comments!

My experience in vape shops is limited to only a handful; I shop at only one of three where I live. The reason I frequent this shop is customer service; I feel welcome each time I walk through their door, and they know my name. I guess I've been fortunate. I was there for an hour my last visit, yapping...btw I'm 60.

I also shop online - I research products I'm interested in, watch reviews and hover over the "purchase" button for days; I don't want to be that person who has an arsenal of devices collecting dust on a shelf.

Vapers come in all shapes, sizes and age groups. It's a shame that by catering only to youthful cloud chasers some vape shops are perpetuating the stereotype the non-vaping public (read, anti-smokers/anti-everything they don't understand) love to hate.

paulc35

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Mason,Wv
I'm a older vaper, and I'm sick and tired of these vape shop owners and workers treating us older vapers like crap, ignoring us acting like we are the dumbest people who ever lived when we ask a question.. I went into this vape shop here in Northern Michigan, and we are limited to shops, and this has happened to me more than once the eye rolls the deep breaths and once I was asked if I was stupid.. I'm sick of this considering I have disposable income to spend in there shops.. Has this problem ever happened to anyone else.

I definitely understand. Welcome to the world of online purchases. I do like supporting local businesses, but I only have one here and the owner was a .... so I buy online.

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
I'm 50, and personally couldn't care less what the employee looks like or how they talk, as long as they are helpful. Being from Kansas I have run into far more asses in cowboy hats/boots than those with tattoos and piercings.
:toast:
I don't have time or need to visit vape shops but the 2 that I recommend to new or prospective vapers have a "new vapers" section. They're both run by smart people that remember why they opened their shops - to help smokers become non-smokers or ex-smokers. They only hire smart, helpful employees and one won't sell a mech before the prospective customer takes a vaping tech test. I don't know how the other deals with mechs because I never asked but I'd be surprised if he doesn't use similar methods. I've killed a few hours at a time at both shops over the years and know how they treat their customers.
Every customer matters as much as any other.
They'll still be in business when the nincompoops that cater to Kloudz Kulture go back to changing oil at Jiffy Lube when their clientele grows TFU.

ppeeble

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2013
Poole UK
A bit OT but had to stick this somewhere; Last weekend i was out and about and i broke my drip tip. Saw a vape store so wandered in and asked to see their selection of tips. 'what are drip tips ?' asked the youngster behind the counter.
They didn't sell drip tips. In a vape store.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Think that's where we went sideways…you have to be a skier to sell skis. The juice bar model, for vapers by vapers, is what hope we had to build a community outside the inter-space. That was bungled by the late comers of the microcoil era for whom pushing consumables defined the business not realizing the kind of dog-eat-dog industry they were defining. Nothing sells a concept better than a capable hands on demonstration, and real interest. Now mostly we wait for innovation (or its discount) from other quarters.

For the record, I have nothin gainst nose rings, tats or ear hoops as long as the person on the other side of the counter even asks what level I vape at or regardless try and sell me the 200W+ mod and a box of coils for the kit (now pods).

Good luck all. :)

I have not had this happen to me. I am a 50 year old woman who lives in New Jersey and quite frankly the vape shops around here are very accommodating to all ages. I'm sorry to hear that you are getting grief for a substantial change (and I'm assuming you quit the stinkies) in your life. YOU GAVE UP a very hard habit. Now onto the punks. I would just hold my head up proud and state I QUIT DID YOU? I bet 99% of them are in it for the fad. You are vaping for a reason that outweighs their silliness!

It happens in the bottom of the mitten just as much as the top. I've gotten withering looks from 20 something cloud blowers working at most shops in the Detroit area for the last few years. I'm glad I found the camaraderie among vapers in the early days at meetups and one early shop but those days are just memories now.

Maybe we can break the ice by talking their language when we walk in, saying "What's the newest mod from Smok?"
That's a A SCREAM! LOVE THE HUMOR!

Reactions: Letitia
In fact my wife is planning a vacation to Florida, she getting tickets for universal studios, she planning to go to shows and concerts a bunch of crap, I'm looking for vape shops I'm more excited about the shops than the shows she wants to go to..
IF you get that excited you should try and go to Connecticut one year for the northeast Vape Expo at Foxwoods.

Tony M

Nov 18, 2013
Oklahoma City, Ok

I too am an older vaper (61). I too have experienced this. In my part of the world, there are 11 vape shops within a 5 - 6 mile radius of my house (no BS). And here's the nitch! I've visited every one of them and none are worth the time spent to even get to them. What do I mean! Here's my story.

5 years ago, I felt terrible and put it down to my smoking. Back then, there wasn't too many places to learn about much and thus, I was at the mercy of either some patch, which I would never do, cold turkey quitting, or one of the local vape shops. I certainly had and still have the will power to go cold turkey, but I also knew I had a family I loved and knowing myself as I do, lets just say I spared them. So off I marched to a vape shop over by one of my family members house. Now understand this too! I knew ABOSULTY NOTHING about vaping. I was asked some questions of which I answered and was then pointed to a vape pen device (didn't know what that even meant or was at the time). I was told that, for beginners, this was the way to go ( I would never put a vape pen in someones hands these days if they can afford more) I was handed, what was claimed by the shop owner to be a Ego CTwist battery and a kanger mini pro tank. I was also sold a battery charger, some extra coils and a few 5ml bottles of juice. Grand total $106. 81 (still have the receipt) . Talk about seeing a sucker fish swim by! They saw me.

Here's the bigger twist. After about a week and having to run back to a vape shop for more juice time and again, I wondered and thought! man I must be in the wrong business. I was vaping 18ml nic (no one today would suggest doing this), I was feeling worse, then I did smoking, but was determined not to go back to them. Anyway to shorten this, eventually I went online. And while at the time, there was no where near the plethora of information there is today on vaping and the equipment used (Mostly what we had then, was sympathetic to each other, online clans. We shared information and learned knowledge. Tis pretty much how ecf got started) we muttled through. In this time frame, I had learned that I'd been duped! What I thought was Authentic vape gear, turned out to be cloned stuff from china, that could of been bought for 10 bucks including the charger. I did in truth however have an Authentic Ego CTwist, but was charged 3 times the amount ($24.00) that I could have gotten it for had I known what I'd learned. 5 bucks tops! is what I could get that for at the time. And then the bomb. I had nothing but a clone tank. My e-juice had been marked up 0ver 600% and I was going ejuice broke! not to mention, the cost of looking for the right combo of vape gear for myself, so I could continue down the quitting road,

Here's the point to the above

Since these early days I've learned a lot. And I certainly still don't know everything. But I've spend everyday for the past 5 years reading and learning about everything vape related. I Started DIYing my own e-juice about 4 months after I quit 5 years ago. Created my first box mods ( single battery, parallel, series unregulated mods then when I leaned about escapements, I built a couple of them, and my first chipped mod using a dna chip) after my first year of vaping. I literally have over 10 k worth of vape gear in my house that I've gotten over the past 5 years. What does all this mean to the topic!

This!

Today, when I walk into a vape store. I roll my eyes at them! If they open their mouth in a wrong way. I beat um up verbally with so much truth and fact information that I can, (Complete with my phone in hand to verify everything I say) and after that berating, they usually have little to say to me! I add salt to the injury too, I wait until I can talk to the store owner, if they aren't there already and suggest to them strongly, that they replace the knuckle head they had at the time I was set off on them. Some of course, could care less (most actually) which starts me to become a crusader against that store and it's owner. Yeah I'm a 61 yr old salty dog and I do bite when provoked.

Today there are just two vape stores that I've helped change. They no longer hire anyone that hasn't vaped for at least a year and I told them, if they don't know the answer to a question, call me, my phone is always on and I'm generally sitting at a computer and I'll find the answer for them. Their prices are now very fair for having a store front and a few employees to pay and there customer services, I feel are top of the line in this city of vaping that I live in. I go by the two shops many times a week, I give new vapers a day to come sit with me at one of them, so I can help them learn how to coil and wick their devises and I teach a coil building seminar type of thing for the 2 places when I can. No I have no monetary interest in them. I just like the places and owners, and like the vapers (respectful vapers/people to clarify). Simple as that!

I didn't let my negative beginning experience get the best of me. I'm getting the best of vaping because of everyone here (and other places I frequent) sharing information and stories. So even if I get under your skin here in ECF. Know this! I'm thankful always for you, even if I know you aren't 100 percent correct in something and challenge you on it. So please try not to get too emotional. Perhaps through our talk, we both might learn something. Maybe about vaping, maybe about something else. I am in fact, very thankful to all people that vape.

Cig free for 5 years almost. Still vape but with no Nic. I use it as my sucker and of course, because I like new gear to try out.

BTW I too despise chicken littles. If something is truly going to harm us, then give full quantifiable information, complete with real life testing. Not some unrealistic lab nonsense that doesn't fit in the real world environment of vaping.

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I was thankful that I had a decent vape shop (not great, decent) to steer me in the right direction back when I was dual using....

This time, when I decided to take it seriously, I did what I usually do with anything I want to learn more about, and went to the internet. I don't think I would be vaping today if not for ECF, what I learned, and my determination to get through detox. And, this was the time I really needed it, because COPD was approaching.

A fantastic vape shop can be an excellent thing, and worth paying slightly more. Knowledge you earn yourself is a LOT more important (IMO). I value vaping, because I took the time to learn about it, rather than try to vape like I smoked: kind of like an automaton, without really thinking much about it. I don't think I would have been successful without taking vaping seriously enough to learn. I do wish there were more "competent" vape shops, but there certainly are some.

Anna

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
I too am an older vaper (61). I too have experienced this. In my part of the world, there are 11 vape shops within a 5 - 6 mile radius of my house (no BS). And here's the nitch! I've visited every one of them and none are worth the time spent to even get to them. What do I mean! Here's my story.

5 years ago, I felt terrible and put it down to my smoking. Back then, there wasn't too many places to learn about much and thus, I was at the mercy of either some patch, which I would never do, cold turkey quitting, or one of the local vape shops. I certainly had and still have the will power to go cold turkey, but I also knew I had a family I loved and knowing myself as I do, lets just say I spared them. So off I marched to a vape shop over by one of my family members house. Now understand this too! I knew ABOSULTY NOTHING about vaping. I was asked some questions of which I answered and was then pointed to a vape pen device (didn't know what that even meant or was at the time). I was told that, for beginners, this was the way to go ( I would never put a vape pen in someones hands these days if they can afford more) I was handed, what was claimed by the shop owner to be a Ego CTwist battery and a kanger mini pro tank. I was also sold a battery charger, some extra coils and a few 5ml bottles of juice. Grand total $106. 81 (still have the receipt) . Talk about seeing a sucker fish swim by! They saw me.

Here's the bigger twist. After about a week and having to run back to a vape shop for more juice time and again, I wondered and thought! man I must be in the wrong business. I was vaping 18ml nic (no one today would suggest doing this), I was feeling worse, then I did smoking, but was determined not to go back to them. Anyway to shorten this, eventually I went online. And while at the time, there was no where near the plethora of information there is today on vaping and the equipment used (Mostly what we had then, was sympathetic to each other, online clans. We shared information and learned knowledge. Tis pretty much how ecf got started) we muttled through. In this time frame, I had learned that I'd been duped! What I thought was Authentic vape gear, turned out to be cloned stuff from china, that could of been bought for 10 bucks including the charger. I did in truth however have an Authentic Ego CTwist, but was charged 3 times the amount ($24.00) that I could have gotten it for had I known what I'd learned. 5 bucks tops! is what I could get that for at the time. And then the bomb. I had nothing but a clone tank. My e-juice had been marked up 0ver 600% and I was going ejuice broke! not to mention, the cost of looking for the right combo of vape gear for myself, so I could continue down the quitting road,

Here's the point to the above

Since these early days I've learned a lot. And I certainly still don't know everything. But I've spend everyday for the past 5 years reading and learning about everything vape related. I Started DIYing my own e-juice about 4 months after I quit 5 years ago. Created my first box mods ( single battery, parallel, series unregulated mods then when I leaned about escapements, I built a couple of them, and my first chipped mod using a dna chip) after my first year of vaping. I literally have over 10 k worth of vape gear in my house that I've gotten over the past 5 years. What does all this mean to the topic!

This!

Today, when I walk into a vape store. I roll my eyes at them! If they open their mouth in a wrong way. I beat um up verbally with so much truth and fact information that I can, (Complete with my phone in hand to verify everything I say) and after that berating, they usually have little to say to me! I add salt to the injury too, I wait until I can talk to the store owner, if they aren't there already and suggest to them strongly that they replace the knuckle head they had at the time I was set off on them. Some of course, could care less (most actually) which starts me to become a crusader against that store and it's owner. Yeah I'm a 61 yr old salty dog and I do bite when provoked.

Today there are just two vape stores that I've helped change. They no longer hire anyone that hasn't vaped for at least a year and as I told them (if they don't know the answer to a question, call me and I'll find it for them). There prices are now very fair for having a store front and a few employees to pay and there customer services, I feel are top of the line in this city of vaping thatI live in. I go by the two shops many times a week, I give new vapers a day to come sit with me at one of them, so I can help them learn how to coil and wick their devises and teach a coil building seminar type of thing for the 2 places when I can. No I have no monetary interest in them. I just like the places and owners and like the vapers. Simple as that!

I didn't let my negative beginning experience get the best of me. I'm getting the best of vaping because of everyone here (and other places I frequent) sharing information and stories. So even if I get under your skin here in ECF. Know this! I'm thankful always for you, even if I know you aren't 100 percent correct in something and challenge you on it, try not to get too emotional. Perhaps through our talk we both might learn something. Maybe about vaping, maybe about something else. I am in fact, very thankful to all people that vape. Cig free for 5 years almost. Still vape but with no Nic. I use it as my sucker and of course, because I like new gear to try out.

BTW I too despise chicken littles. If something is truly going to harm us, then give full quantifiable information, complete with real life testing. Not some unrealistic lab nonsense that doesn't fit in the real world environment of vaping.
I used Vapor Kings online a lot when I started vaping.
They were pretty fair but I don't remember if they had a B&M.
They're in Tulsa IIRC so that wouldn't have helped you but I figure if there was a great shop around it would help the neighboring shops excel.

Amber Glines

Oct 30, 2017
I'm sure that's a typical issue you'll encounter, mostly due to the lack of respect that my generation has for others... Luckily my shop here in fort Walton Beach FL, in my experience, most of the employees are nothing like that. We had a rather older woman wanting to go to a time mod dripper (Kennedy, i believe). Had never used an RDA or even seen one be used, but was willing to sit and learn about it and how to build coils (one of the regulars sat down with her and went through it all with her.)

We were concerned she would injure herself jumping to such an advanced setup but we armed her with the knowledge we could, and she continued to sit in the shop watching tutorial videos and looking up info, asking questions when things didn't make sense. We were all really pleased to see her so willing to educate herself and try something new, because even most of the younger customers either wouldn't try it OR wouldn't take so much time to understand it and then they end up making fifty mistakes and hurting themselves along the way.

Sooo that's my experience with my shop, and it's unfortunate there aren't more out there willing to act right.....

Good luck if you keep searching for one, I hope you find a good one out there!

alvitae

ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2009
Oregon Usa
If it's any consolation I treat those kids at the shops like they are stupid. I started vaping when a lot of them were 10 years old. The average vape worker knows very little if the ones I've ran across are any indication. But since I diy everything from juice to coils and but my mods online I don't have to fool with them much. I stopped letting shops rip me off long ago. Don't people realise it costs around 50 cents to make 50 ml of liquid? I just bought a decent 200 watt mod brand new online for 10 bucks. I done even see how shops have any customers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread