I predict Vaping will eventually fade out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrtrucker40108

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Brandenburg, KY, USA
You are forgetting those of us that use cigarettes (and of course now vaping) to self-medicate for things like mild depression. Those are the ones that could NEVER quit using normal means.

Actually I think thats a larger portion of the Nicotine addicts than will ever be revealed.
I have a scientist buddy, physisisist, string theory, all that jive..lol..that claims upwards of 80-90% of nicotine users are unknowingly self medicating for adult ADD.

PaporPlas

ECF Veteran
Dec 27, 2011
Los Angeles
Actually I think thats a larger portion of the Nicotine addicts than will ever be revealed.
I have a scientist buddy, physisisist, string theory, all that jive..lol..that claims upwards of 80-90% of nicotine users are unknowingly self medicating for adult ADD.

Wow! That could be me. : o

Never thought about it, but when I need to really focus...nicotine helps me majorly. And, I can get A.D.D.'ish at times.

Last edited:

PaporPlas

ECF Veteran
Dec 27, 2011
Los Angeles
I liked smoking, never thought I would quit, had tried everything, then hubby brought home a metro e-cig from the tobacco shop while getting another carton of smokes. That was the beginning of December, I tried them with the only idea that it would save money by cutting me down on how many I smoked a day. That's all. I had no intention of quitting at all. Then I learned about juices that tasted better to me than regular cigs and PVs and after 2 months of cutting back and learning all about vaping, I can say I don't even want one anymore! I'm very happy with my roughstack and juices, that the small withdrawl is easily beatable. What a change I feel, mentally and physically and I am surprised I was able to quit in such a short time, when I started out not intending to at all.

Vaping is the future of smoking, and tobacco companies will see that and come up with thier own version and will get people hooked again chemically only a different device.

And that's a scary thing, too. Because for the tobacco companies to be successful, they need to kill vaping as we know it. If BT gets their hands on the vaping scene, they will put all the poisons and toxins in our liquids that they now put into cigarettes. They will get legislation that regulates the sell of liquid nicotine, and nobody will be able to DIY their juices, etc...

I would much prefer that vaping becomes the alternative to analogs for all, even if that means it eventually fades away because there are no more smokers to convert. And, I just don't believe that people (to a large degree) will vape nicotine if they never smoked in the first place. Nor should they.

Last edited:

Jim Bob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 21, 2011
Kentucky
To the contrary I have not "missed " ANYTHING.....

Fact IS that BT has been adding THOUSANDS of things to cigs for some time now to INTENTIONALLY make them MORE addictive - thus keep smokers smoking without regard to ANY safety of things like ammonia (used to "freebase the nicotine" ) and on and on...... depending on which source(s) one believes there are 4,000- 7,000 Additives in cigs, (NOT just food grade flavorings - Period) ........ and again > 60 are KNOWN carcinogens this is not even debated by BT - since they do not disclose most of the things they include we may never really know of ALL the dangers (or what is really added total) -

Also it's not "some big secret" that burning/combustion and CO are bad for you

You are missing the point. For the most part, the list of some 600 additives in cigarettes is mainly composed of flavorants (the majority actually approved food additives), plus things like the glue. These are NOT for the most part the known (and unknown) carcinogens and other toxic components of smoke that cause harm and disease. The carcinogens and toxic chemicals that cause the harm are the products of combustion, that get CREATED when the cigarette is burned. See, Harms of Smoking and Health Benefits of Quitting - National Cancer Institute, and http://quitsmoking.about.com/cs/nicotineinhaler/a/cigingredients.htm

For example, benzene, beryllium, vinyl cloride, benzo(a)pyrene, toluene, ethylene oxide, etc, etc, etc, are among the known carcinogenic chemicals in smoke created by combustion (and among the 7,000 or more chemical constituents of smoke). They are not added. They are created by combustion. Reference the cancer.gov cite above.

Another set of carcinogens smoking exposes us to are the tobacco specific nitrosamines, again not added, but naturally present in tobacco and released by it's burning - just as other carcinogenic nitrosamines are formed by cooking/frying/charing food (as in bacon, cured meats, barbequed meats, etc). See, Nitrosamines and Cancer

The quantities of tobacco specific nitrosamines we are exposed to from cigarette smoking are very high, but depending on the method of processing, smokeless tobacco products such as Snus and dissolvables can have vastly reduced levels. And the same goes for nicotine products, such as FDA approved smoking cessation patches, gums and inhalers, and e-cig liquid - since the nicotine comes from tobacco they all still have levels of TSNAs, but levels so tiny as to not amount to any real danger. See, page 16 of http://casaa.info/uploads/CASAA_Legislative_Packet_Regarding_Indoor_Bans_Web.pdf

FriedLiverAtack

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2011
California, USA
While I am 44 I go to a university alongside a lot of youths. I probably see upward of 10,000 people under 25 moving around campus everyday. Out of all those I probably only see about 25 openly smoking. I've only seen one other vaper and he works at the school and is in his 50's. If the popularity of vaping is relying on smokers becoming vapors it will probably never totally catch on and die out.

But there is a opposing force. eCigs and PV's are becoming more available and as there become more vapers and more traditional stores selling them, there will become more new vapers that never smoked a cigarette. Especially if they advertised as relatively harmless.

Antidevil

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2009
Pittsburgh
The only reason vaping would die out is if a better technology was somehow introduced. Otherwise, the people that really like it can learn how to make their own tech at home pretty inexpensively. Even if it does ever "die" it will probably just hit the same status as homebrewing, something for enthusiasts to do in their spare time.

PaporPlas

ECF Veteran
Dec 27, 2011
Los Angeles
The only reason vaping would die out is if a better technology was somehow introduced. Otherwise, the people that really like it can learn how to make their own tech at home pretty inexpensively. Even if it does ever "die" it will probably just hit the same status as homebrewing, something for enthusiasts to do in their spare time.

Interestingly, that's why I started this thread. Found myself thinking, what will vaping be like in 20 years. : ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread