I predict Vaping will eventually fade out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ByStander1

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2011
West Virginia
I suppose vaping could become much more popular, but I dont' think the tobacco companies will ever go out of business. There are still people that pefer to smoke even after trying an e-cig. I know someone like that myself. If you look at it objectively, you do need some motivation to vape. It's a lot of hassle to deal with batteries, atomizers, and juice. With a cigarette, you just pull one out and light it. Much more convenient. Though, for anyone on this forum, we all would much rather go through the extra hassle of vaping than continue to damage our health and stink up our environment with ciggies. You would think every smoker would feel that way, but it's simply not the case.

Too true.

Motivation?... Nonetheless, personally, I'd rather cross multiple state lines and fill a liquid holding tank rather than put another dime in BT pocket from cigarettes. I've given enough! ;)

B4DJ1N64N

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2010
Indonesia
I think vaping will expanding like a wildfire in the future, instead of fading away. How did you started smoking in the first place? I'm guessing these are the common answer for that question:
- To be cool. There are some 'brainwashing' advertisements in the past about how cool or 'manly' to smoke.
- To be accepted in a group.
- Just curious.
- To replace something. I.e.: was smoking (edit).
- Had troubles or problems.

People will know better way to enjoy themselves, such as vaping, not smoking. We are enjoying vaping more than smoking, right? Because there are zillions yummy flavors and all.

In the future when vaping is more common, the stigma about vaping are just like drinking booze, because it is common. Then, the next generation (our children, grandchilds, great grandchild) will unconsciously get the image of vaping as a relieving way from stress (just as the same as drinking booze). They WILL starting to vape, whether we like it or not. And the vaping world will be seen as a 'bad habit'. And maybe some chinese guy will inventing something to replace vaping. :p

Sent from my mind using my fingers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Semiretired

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Georgia
As the vaping world grows and more regulation is driven in - the costs will increase and may even pass the costs of smoking analogs. Can you imagine the price of a Joye Ego if they start regulating every aspect of the industry? What will a Provari cost? I do not even want to think about the cost of juice - forget about buying nic for DIY. This will drive some to either vape 0mg nic (the ones already on PV's), quitting vaping altogether, or switching back to analogs.

We discuss the outrageous costs of the cheap e-sticks in the gas stations or the mall kiosks - those prices are without the regulatory devices in place. Imagine their costs after the industry gets big regulatory overhead added...and what if they become the only source once the regulations drive the small internet vendors out of business..

Jim Bob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 21, 2011
Kentucky
But, it is really not added toxins that cause all the disease and death that can result from smoking - it is the fact that smoking involves burning vegetable matter and paper. It is the toxic products of combustion that number in the thousands. In short, it is the smoke!

Lets not forget the THOUSANDS of Added chemicals to the "vegetable matter and paper" >60 are KNOWN carcinogens and I'd venture that many more additives are not known of at all (why some say 4000 and others say 7,000 this tells me that we do not know "everything" that IS added - or the dangers involved)

echofinder

ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2012
Damascus, MD
www.reddit.com
I imagine people said the same thing about pipes when ciggies were invented; I think (hope) we do see the death of smoking, but I think vaping will simply replace it. People like the social aspect, the oral fixation, the short break periods throughout the day, the feeling of being slightly BA (young people especially). If the overwhelming health evidence didn't kill smoking, I doubt the slight change in technology will kill either nicotine inhalation or smoking itself.

PaporPlas

ECF Veteran
Dec 27, 2011
Los Angeles
Based on the responses I am getting on here, I am VERY confused. So, vaping might just become another means of addicting millions in the future to nicotine? Even if they never smoked before? If smoking goes away (let's just say it does) and all of us vapers die off, and say the generation that comes after us....am I hearing that we are the founding generation to perfect vaping (maybe similar to Native American Indians for tobacco)??? Only to have BT come along and switch over to the vaping side and begin putting their chemicals into our juice, in order to make the addiction even stronger? Well, if so, then that is sad and unfortunate, and it would be our faults for letting it happen.

My theory is based on only if smoking goes away. I know, many think it won't, but let's just say it does in 50 years. Should vaping start people vaping with nicotine that have never smoked cigs?

: /

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Vaping will eventually fade out just from increasing numbers of people who stop smoking completely and don't vape to do it. Then, there will be flashy new ecigs that keep us interested, but generation change will present a new crop of individuals who aren't addicted to nicotine, thus no need to vape. So many of our young people are being taught the dangers of smoking and will never touch tobacco. That's a good thing.

PaporPlas

ECF Veteran
Dec 27, 2011
Los Angeles
Vaping will eventually fade out just from increasing numbers of people who stop smoking completely and don't vape to do it. Then, there will be flashy new ecigs that keep us interested, but generation change will present a new crop of individuals who aren't addicted to nicotine, thus no need to vape. So many of our young people are being taught the dangers of smoking and will never touch tobacco. That's a good thing.

Thank you! I couldn't have said it better...I tried and didn't! lol

PaporPlas

ECF Veteran
Dec 27, 2011
Los Angeles

You aren't kidding when you say "our young people are being taught the dangers of smoking". Even ten years ago, when my kids were in Kindergarden & the first grade. The first-grader asked me one day, "Why does Auntie do drugs?" Both my wife and I were a little shocked and asked why do you say that? Our little one replied, "Because she smokes." Their school was teaching them that cigarettes are a drug!

Last edited:

throatkick

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2010
FL
Based on the responses I am getting on here, I am VERY confused. So, vaping might just become another means of addicting millions in the future to nicotine?

Today, when we vape, we do so to stay away from cigarettes. Assuming cigarettes die off (I hope they do) people will only see vaping. It is entirely possible that vaping will not be considered a reduced harm strategy because there won't be anything with increased harm.

PaporPlas

ECF Veteran
Dec 27, 2011
Los Angeles
Today, when we vape, we do so to stay away from cigarettes. Assuming cigarettes die off (I hope they do) people will only see vaping. It is entirely possible that vaping will not be considered a reduced harm strategy because there won't be anything with increased harm.

Good answer! IMHO

Last edited:

Meggers

ECF Veteran
Jun 10, 2010
Kansas
You aren't kidding when you say "our young people are being taught the dangers of smoking". Even ten years ago, when my kids were in Kindergarden & the first grade. The first-grader asked me one day, "Why does Auntie do drugs?" Both my wife and I were a little shocked and asked why do you say that? Our little one replied, "Because she smokes." Their school was teaching them that cigarettes are a drug!

:blink: When our daughter was in grade school the teacher ask for each student to stand up and describe something about their parents. Our daughter stood up and said, "My Dad does drugs and my Mom doesn't wear any panties to bed." :shock:...:lol:

Yes...they had taught her that smoking was a drug. I don't think "vape" will go away any time in our lives. I don't look forward to the FDA regulating it or the involvement of the tobacco companies. I think it's just fine the way it is. :)

PaporPlas

ECF Veteran
Dec 27, 2011
Los Angeles
:blink: When our daughter was in grade school the teacher ask for each student to stand up and describe something about their parents. Our daughter stood up and said, "My Dad does drugs and my Mom doesn't wear any panties to bed." :shock:...:lol:

Yes...they had taught her that smoking was a drug. I don't think "vape" will go away any time in our lives. I don't look forward to the FDA regulating it or the involvement of the tobacco companies. I think it's just fine the way it is. :)

Did she "out" you guys or what!? LOL

If the FDA & BT have their ways vaping will be here to stay....only not as we know it, I'm afraid.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
From the research I have done on nicotine, it would seem it is not much worse for us than the caffeine in coffee. However, it is extremely addictive.
Nicotine very well may not be nearly as addictive as people think.

Nicotine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Technically, nicotine is not significantly addictive, as nicotine administered alone does not produce significant reinforcing properties. However, after coadministration with an MAOI, such as those found in tobacco, nicotine produces significant behavioral sensitization, a measure of addiction potential.
Tobacco smoke contains the monoamine oxidase inhibitors harman, norharman, anabasine, anatabine, and nornicotine. These compounds significantly decrease MAO activity in smokers. MAO enzymes break down monoaminergic neurotransmitters such as dopamine, norepinephrine, and serotonin. It is thought that the powerful interaction between the MAOI's and the nicotine is responsible for most of the addictive properties of tobacco smoking.

The talk about how addictive nicotine is comes from looking at smoking behavior, not vaping behavior.

Electronic cigarettes are the first product that allows you to look at nicotine addiction...
--Without needing to factor in the behavioral components of the act of smoking
--Without the smoke, and all the additives they put in to make it more addictive

There is tons of anecdotal evidence right here on these forums that many people are finding it easy to reduce or eliminate nicotine intake.

SMOKING = Highly addictive
NICOTINE = Maybe not so much

PaporPlas

ECF Veteran
Dec 27, 2011
Los Angeles
Nicotine very well may not be nearly as addictive as people think.

Nicotine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The talk about how addictive nicotine is comes from looking at smoking behavior, not vaping behavior.

Electronic cigarettes are the first product that allows you to look at nicotine addiction...
--Without needing to factor in the behavioral components of the act of smoking
--Without the smoke, and all the additives they put in to make it more addictive

There is tons of anecdotal evidence right here on these forums that many people are finding it easy to reduce or eliminate nicotine intake.

SMOKING = Highly addictive
NICOTINE = Maybe not so much

I'll give you that. And, I hope you're right....but, I wonder how many of us vapers can not vape for a couple of days, and see whether or not it has any "withdraw" effects, on not?

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Well, I went for two days without vaping recently, and it didn't bother me at all.

But then again, I am a pretty light vaper at around 1ml of 12mg juice per day, and I was also a very light smoker.
I only smoked around 6 cigarettes per day on average, but I did that for 27 years.

So I'm probably not a good example.
:)

PaporPlas

ECF Veteran
Dec 27, 2011
Los Angeles
Well, I went for two days without vaping recently, and it didn't bother me at all.

But then again, I am a pretty light vaper at around 1ml of 12mg juice per day, and I was also a very light smoker.
I only smoked around 6 cigarettes per day on average, but I did that for 27 years.

Actually, you are a shining example! I believe that if we all would vape more like what you just described, then this would be the perfect life-long experience for those that like to hold something in their hand and like the feeling of inhaling, etc...I know I like those things. I've just went down to 16mg from 24mg and look forward to getting down to 6mg and eventually vaping as a habit, rather than to feed my nic addiction.

Thanks!

nanovapr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2011
Catatonic State, USA
Smoking will never go away. It is a physically addicting drug, that can be sold legally at high profits, and there are huge corporations behind it. BT is never going to just say to themselves, "Oh, smoking is bad after all. We'll just close up shop, and look for a job doing something else". In the US (and many countries), it is becoming increasingly difficult and expensive to smoke, and is on the decline. BT is focusing on developing countries. In Malaysia, there are kiosks outside schools where children can buy single cigarettes. BT sponsors big youth-oriented concerts, and 'back to school' parties.

There are many people in the world that don't have electricity, but they smoke. If they can't recharge batteries, they won't vape. If the FDA and BT become involved, vaping will be regulated and taxed heavily.

Meggers

ECF Veteran
Jun 10, 2010
Kansas

:blink:Six a day? You weren't ever a smoker. If I had only smoked six cigs a day...I would have never quit. I never understood how people did that. It's like a dude thinking about sex once a week! :lol:...:shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread