I think I'm slipping. Help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sprizzle

ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Near Chicago, IL
I picked up e-cigs to quit smoking in my house, not to quit smoking. I found the e-cig to be much more pleasurable than smoking a cigarette. After 4 months or so, I am probably smoking 3-4 cigarettes a week. I probably would have switched completely to the e-cig but the hubby is still smoking so I do go outside to join him a few times a week. I think because I didn't have it in my mind to stop smoking, there is no disappointment or guilt. Maybe it is better to think of e-cigs as a alternative to cigarettes. When the urge hits, try the alternative first. If you are still craving a cigarette an hour later, go have one. Think of the cigarettes you didn't smoke as a victory and do not think of the ones you smoked as a failure.

potholerepairman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 10, 2009
When people will tell you to do the wrong thing (smoking)knowing most people will like vaping more than smoking and eventually out of joy quit ,it says a lot about vaping.Its really a guilt free activity to use while reducing smoking like others hit on the head in this post.If its product issues your having you can fix those a lot easier than the want of a cigerette.Congrats on the switch, it may not be over but its at least a dimmable hunger for smokes.

markmcs

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
New York City, USA
Hi. I started on ecigs Saturday before last and thought I was doing real well having only 3 analogs a day, if that. For the 1st 4 days I increased and decreased my juice's nicotine, until I felt comfortable @ about 10 to 12 mg., with minor cravings. Here it is 1 week and 2 days later and I am really craving analogs now. I've increased the mgs to 15 to 18 and still having bad cravings. I've gone as far as 24 to 26 mgs, but that just gives me a headache. I'm trying so hard not to smoke analogs, but it seems there getting the best of me. What am I doing wrong? I am smoking the joye 510, thanks to the great info on this forum. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks.

:)You are not alone!! I have been vaping for about 3 weeks now and I still struggle with the analogs. I love the feel and taste of the vapor, and all my physical cravings are satisfied, but there is a part of me that knows I'm not smoking a 'real' cigarette and wants to sabotage that!! I know it sounds crazy, but there it is. I am not beating myself up over it, though, and you shouldn't either. I smoked for 30 years, and for me, just cutting down is a miracle, and I'll keep at it until I get it right. One day at a time!! Good luck to you.

Sainted_S

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Nether Iceland of NWPA
I can sympathize with the hard patch. I started vaping on Tuesday Sep 3 and I really liked it until that weekend when I got a killer cold. It was like Coldzilla, and I still have a bit of it. When I got the cold the vaping took a big nose-dive, I couldn't stand the smell and I just wanted the analogs to comfort me as they had for the previous 18 years. Part of the problem was the juice I have, which will remain nameless, but I have ordered tons of new juice this week from positive reviews on the forum. So I totally stopped vaping for 2 days and went back to analogs. 2+ packs over the weekend. I allowed myself that while I was sick (pretty damn ironic), but having made a huge investment I wasn't going to go back to spending the money on cigarettes. That is what is driving me, the cost and convenience of VP's. I give myself permission to smoke, but not to spend money on it. Since this Monday I haven't smoked any analogs and it's getting better and better. Today is the first day I've noticed a big difference (probably because I'm able to smell again minus the cold and analogs) but the first vape of the day was so satisfying, it smelled so clean and I could really taste the flavor (even though the juice is still not to my liking; no hope of new juice until Tuesday I'm guessing) and the I walked into my mother's house and both my brother and step-father smoke and it was just....awful. Meanwhile what I'm vaping smells like incense. No cravings for analogs whatsoever, but I'm sure I'm vaping waaay too much. What keeps me vaping is that I love it more than smoking, and the cost; I refuse to pay that much to kill myself slowly with analogs when there is such a pleasant alternative.

librarising

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2010
New York
I might also recommend a blend with more throat hit. Less or no VG. I have been using a yummy liquid 18mg but it's 30 percent VG and not getting the throat hit and started to crave cigs a bit..I just switched back to an 18mg all pg and it's hitting my throat like an analogue would. More satisfying.

I went into this with the attitude, if I find I really need a cig, I won't sweat it. I was a 40+ year, 3 PAD smoker, so if I had to have another analog or 2 etc, I am still ahead of the game.

Best of luck! :)

Last edited:

Crystal Pistol

Sep 4, 2010
Tennessee
Ya know, it's been 4 days since I started this thread and you guys have been absolutely fantastic. I'm taking it a little easier on myself now, I'm still smoking 3 to 5 analogs a day, but it's OK. I think one problem I'm having is I'm trying to vape like I use to smoke (a whole cig @ once) and the cart is not wicking fast enough. After my 3rd or 4th puff, I don't get anymore vapor for a while and it bothers me. Any solutions out there? I've already bought the 510 mega cart / atomizers and it does the same. Thanks.

What is helping me is that for years I only smoked a few puffs at a time from cigarettes. I would put the cigs out and light them back a little later. A full cigarette at one sitting would make me ill. So now vaping a few puffs at at time feels perfectly natural to me. Maybe you could try that with your cigs?

So what if you still smoke? You are smoking less.

MoonRose

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
Indiana, USA
Hi. I started on ecigs Saturday before last and thought I was doing real well having only 3 analogs a day, if that. For the 1st 4 days I increased and decreased my juice's nicotine, until I felt comfortable @ about 10 to 12 mg., with minor cravings. Here it is 1 week and 2 days later and I am really craving analogs now. I've increased the mgs to 15 to 18 and still having bad cravings. I've gone as far as 24 to 26 mgs, but that just gives me a headache. I'm trying so hard not to smoke analogs, but it seems there getting the best of me. What am I doing wrong? I am smoking the joye 510, thanks to the great info on this forum. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks.

What you have to remember is that it's not just nicotine that's addictive in cigarettes, there are other additives in them that are addictive as well. If you are craving a cigarette that badly then by all means have one. You may also discover that only one or two puffs on it will satisfy that craving, if so then put it out and go back to using your e-cig. There are those that it takes weeks or even months to finally put down tobacco cigs for good and there are those who may never be able to completely stop smoking cigarettes. You might also want to try using SNUS as well, there are those that are saying that SNUS gives them whatever it is that they seem to be craving.

riverwinds

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
Florida
Hi. Isn't that the truth, Jopo. I never expected to have so much help. I hope they know that they all have helped me immensely!! I to feel much better. I actually woke up this morning and DID NOT need an analog with my coffee. That there was a giant step for me, as I relate coffee with cigs. Keep ur chin up Jopo, we're doing good!

wearemany

Sep 9, 2010
GA
I've had my pv for 18 days and haven't had a cigarette since the day after I got it. Everyday is still a struggle. There is never a moment using the pv that I wouldn't rather have a cigarette.

That said, using the pv gets me through. I really don't want to go back to smoking. I've tried most of the other methods and they have been complete failures. I've also got a box mod on the way that I'm hoping will solve most of my issues with the pv I have now.

As others have said, all is not lost if you smoke a cigarette. Every cigarette you don't smoke matters. If you can not smoke at all, great. If not, smoking less is still better.

It's important that we give ourselves credit for what we have accomplished and not just focus on our slip ups.

If I smoke a cigarette, it doesn't negate the hundreds I didn't smoke.

ktelectronic

Jun 22, 2009
USA
I know others may have said this already, but it is definitely a mental thing, in addition to the nicotine dosage. I , like you, had a difficult time quitting smoking analogs. I upped the nicotine dosage to 48 mg, which I later found out was for mixing and should not be smoked. Oops! But I did notice that when I tried this, I started to feel a bit lightheaded and had a tendency to feel confused.

Be careful! You can overdose! And this can be very dangerous.

But yeah, it isn't so much the nicotine you are getting. It is also the mental thing you get with smoking. Vaping isn't the same, and the sensations of smoking are different. And you are probably missing these sensations more than you are missing the nicotine.

I did end up quitting analogs and it wasn't easy. All I can say is you come to a point where you decide it is time to quit. At that point, you need to cut out ALL analogs... Just 1 can set you back into the same cycle. Once you get used to only being able to vape, it gets a lot easier. Eventually you won't feel you need the cigs any more. And this feeling comes a lot quicker when you are vaping.

You may want to consider your personal vaporizer (PV) device. Having a good device makes a big difference.

I started out with the puresmoker protege. Now while this is a solid product in its own way and I quit using this, it has some issues, such as the end of the battery kept popping off, and the vaping experience was not consistent. Not to mention the product leaked a bit and i fried an atomizer. However it did give a ton of vapor (when it worked!). This is also a big device and looks a bit odd in public

I then ordered a Manual JOYE510 MEGA KIT from healthcabin. Cheaper, better looking, and a more consistent vaping experience. However the flavor in the vapor seemed weaker, and the batteries did not last quite as long. But what was nice was I had a consistent amount of vapor in each puff, instead of fiddling with the thing a lot just to get a few nice vapes with the puresmoker.

The other important thing is to get nice vaping flavors! After trial and error you will find what works for you. I tended to like tastyflavor, though it's expensive. The really good ones from there were tastyfinger, atomic cinnacide, and butter rum. '

It's important to make sure you have a good device and flavors because it will be more enjoyable and will help in kicking the analogs.

Anyway, good luck. Even though others seem to have an easy time quitting smoking, it isn't easy for some of us. Just keep trying and keep vaping. As you get ready to quit analogs alltogether, keep experimenting with what works for you. And once you have a nice vaping kit to rely on, just go cold turkey. It won't be easy but vaping makes it a LOT easier to make the transition to no analogs.

Last edited:

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Hi. Isn't that the truth, Jopo. I never expected to have so much help. I hope they know that they all have helped me immensely!! I to feel much better. I actually woke up this morning and DID NOT need an analog with my coffee. That there was a giant step for me, as I relate coffee with cigs. Keep ur chin up Jopo, we're doing good!

My morning cig with my morning coffee was a hurdle for me, too. I solved that by loading my PV up the night before with a coffee flavored juice. It really does work for me. Then after the first few hits of that, I switch to a sweeter juice and have another cup of coffee. I do know that it's psychological, too. I almost mourned that with-coffee-in-the-morning cigarette. Now I look forward to my morning vape with coffee as much as I did the other.

maplesugar10

Sep 3, 2010
Missouri
I was a pack-a-day menthol smoker for 40 years when my first e-cigs arrived in the mail on September 1st. The cut-off time on the automatic batteries was so short that vaping wasn't a satisfying experience at all. Then a 510 kit arrived and I cut back on analogs by 25% without even trying. The vapor still seemed a little weak and the batteries needed charging often, so I ordered a Joye eGo after reading this forum. That was the end of analogs for me, they taste and smell bad to me now. Finding the right combination of equipment and e-liquids I really enjoy made giving up analogs a lot easier.

MacTX

Aug 23, 2010
Texas
Much of this comes down to different strokes for different folks. I bought a cheap 510 before the good one, and that gave me the thought that this was a fly by night not gonna work sort of thing. The batteries lasted no time really and the hassle of filling this, that and the other. And then the deluge with all the mods out there and the various kits available. Finding the right "gear" for you is important of course, but don't be lulled into thinking it's not worth it if you don't get the latest and greatest mod going. I got a Magma from Volcano, which was a great introduction and helped me reduce the analogs a bit. Then I moved to the eGo and that did it, in terms of having the right hardware. Then there's the need to try some juices to figure out two things: how much nicotine works for you, and what flavors do you prefer. Getting those two things right for you is what allows you to enter the no-smoking world. However, it's not instant for all. It certainly hasn't been for me.

I have smoked 3 packs of Marlboro Reds a day for the pats 25 years. As another poster said, that didn't happen overnight. Not for all, but for some or many, it's not going to stop overnight either. In the past week and half after getting my eGo, I have reduced to 4 or 5 analogs a day give or take (sometimes 2 or 3, sometimes 9 or 10). Some here have said it's all mental. That is simply not true. Our psychological addiction is a very large part of it, but your body is also addicted to (has become dependent upon) some of the 4,000 other chemicals besides nicotine in the analogs. You have to wean yourself off of the need and habit psychologically, and your body needs to get used to not having the chemicals you've been giving it for so long.

My advice is simply to go with the flow. When times come that there is an overbearing drive for an analog, have one. Of course, do your best to get through it and keep it in check, but don't let it drive you nuts. I felt guilty at first when I'd give in during the day, but then I decided wait a minute, 3 packs to a few or even several a day is a HUGE leap. It provides the HOPE that I can quit, which nothing else has. It has given me the confidence to know that I CAN and WILL quit - and I will do so in whatever time it takes my mind and body to do so and adapt. Just go with flow. One day we'll go to bed and realize hey, I didn't have a cigarette today and didn't even want one!

We WILL beat it. We WILL become non-smokers. Grab on to that, take your time, and you'll get there. We all will.

Strigoi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2010
Martinez, CA
it took me a couple of months of vaping and smoking to fully quit. i had a "quit date" for the cigarettes and haven't really had one since. i tried the last one i was saving after a couple of weeks and it was nasty (was in the ashtray after 4 drags). it made me realize i was no longer a smoker.

the idea of having a cigarette is still appealing at times but i know i don't actually want one.

The Fool

ECF Veteran
Jun 13, 2010
St. Louis
Hi River, I too was a 40 year 2 PAD smoker. I'm 8 months into vaping now and there are still moments when the urge hits me. My answer was to drip through those bad times. Dripping is the method of placing 3 drops of liquid directly onto the atomizer and then vaping. It's a bit of a hassle, since you only get about 8 hits from this method, but they are stronger hits. Hope that helps. Good luck.

riverwinds

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
Florida
It's been 2.5 weeks since I started this post. And again thank you all for all the sound advice. Well, I'm still taking it slow, I've started vaping the ego and I like it. It appears to be more satisfying, although it's taken a little time to adjust to the cigar size. Even bought larger capacity batteries and the 510 mega carts / attys. I'm progressing, I'm down to 1 to 2 analogs a day and none of which are with my coffee (trying to break that association). The baby steps are working!! I still have good days and bad days, but I know that is part of the process. BTW, my hubby is down to the same or less, his support has also been great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread