I think we need to STOP recommending a Istick 50

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ohm Gnome

Apr 27, 2015
Douglasville Ga
What can I say ? I guess there will always be people who like playing Russian Roulette . I don't and I don't want to nudge other people to do it. For the ones who love theirs, I'm glad yours is good. But I don't know why you don't understand a lot of these are not good. A badly diseased Apple tree still can produce a few good ones but the harvest as a whole is lost.

Reactions: stevegmu

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
these 50w iSticks probably won't even be on the market one year from now ... there will be a bunch of new cheap chinese 50-300w box mods that will become all the latest rage.

For me, I prefer to use a device that I know will never fire on it's own, catch fire or explode.

IMO, a safe vape is the best vape.

Don't say that. Murphy's Law says if you think you have a 100% reliable device, yours will do something horrible. Take it back :D

Rocketpunk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Dayton, Ohio
More than one.

rps20150427_153529-jpg.453674

Reactions: beckdg

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
As I originally said I knew some people wouldn't like this but I had no idea they'd take it so personal. You'd think they invented the things

Hey don't Get me Wrong.

The Paint coming off my IPV Mini, or the Ohms being Way Off on my Hana Mod, or my Smowell that thinks it is Charging when it's not Connected, or my MVP Button that Fell Off, or my iTaste that the USB Port Broke, those are Problems.

But they aren't going to Burn my House Down. Some of what I have Heard about the iStick 50 have been Very Serious.

I just don't know How Many units have Actually done this Compared to How Many units are out there.

The Internet is full of Pictures of Laptops that have Melted Down. But I know there are about 10 Bazillion laptops sold in the USA.

Rocketpunk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Dayton, Ohio
A cigarette .... doesn't affect it. It may not be theirs. Either way I know I'm NOT lying. Even Eleaf admits it so obviously there's truth to it

Eh, I said nothing about the device. Just the cigarette .... in the carpet. I couldn't care less either way about the device (anybody remember the Smok Groove meltdown?). I don't need 50 watts, never will, but that's just me. If you wanna vape at 80 or 150 watts, go right ahead.

But my comment was just about the cigarette .... in the carpet. I've been many places, seen many things, and from the plethora of people I've come into contact with, those who leave cigarette butts in their carpet are... well, they're not typically people I hang with...

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
Eh, I said nothing about the device. Just the cigarette .... in the carpet. I couldn't care less either way about the device. I don't need 50 watts, never will, but that's just me. If you wanna vape at 80 or 150 watts, go right ahead.

But my comment was just about the cigarette .... in the carpet. I've been many places, seen many things, and from the plethora of people I've come into contact with, people who leave cigarette butts in their carpet are... well, they're not typically people I hang with...
Yep they tend to be equally careless in other things,

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
Chinese teen dies after charging iPhone electrocutes her - NY Daily News

Girl in China died when the iPhone plugged into a charger electrocuted her while she slept. The article also mentioned that a year earlier, a flight attendant died when she answered her iPhone 5 while it was plugged into a charger. Maybe people need to stop recommending buying iPhones.

And in the same article, a girl in Texas had her Samsung Galaxy S4 catch on fire when it slipped underneath her pillow while she slept.

Reactions: stormjib

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country

Girl in China died when the iPhone plugged into a charger electrocuted her while she slept. The article also mentioned that a year earlier, a flight attendant died when she answered her iPhone 5 while it was plugged into a charger. Maybe people need to stop recommending buying iPhones.

And in the same article, a girl in Texas had her Samsung Galaxy S4 catch on fire when it slipped underneath her pillow while she slept.

Did any of those automatically switch on and begin heating a red hot coil to ignition temps?
If they did, then yes.

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
just a little thing. Prolly not a good idea to charge your iStick with an atty attached.
I wonder if we would have as many problems with them if you had to remove the atty for charging and charge them like an Ego battery thru the 510 connector?

From the look of the burn tracks in the carpet that burned up istick had an atty on it when it burned. Maybe leaked juice all in it .....

Not defending the istick however not defending people doing stupid things either. and leaving an atty on one while charging is not too bright. Esp when they have a reputation for autofiring.

Last edited:

Dioxyde

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2011
Oregon

I see what you're trying to say but you have to realize that the amount of iphones in circulation compared to the istick is like comparing the size of the sun to the earth. Iphones cover the freaking planet, there are going to be freak accidents and lemons, the case with the istick 50 is an inherent manufacturing defect, it's not the same.

Don't get me wrong in theory it is a great mod, I have one myself and was told it was the v2 stock that was "fixed", and so far, it works fine, but until I hear actual details and an honest statement from eleaf itself I have no reason to fully believe that. Furthermore even IF this is true I have no doubt that the stock in online vendors and b&m's are still full of isticks with faulty parts.

And yes, apparently there are back room emails between eleaf and vendors that have leaked by word of mouth that are vague and not trustworthy in the least. Even the statement on totally wicked is absolutely full of intentions to conceal information, to use those as a basis for defending them is absurd, if anything it should increase your suspicion. Until the information is all out and confirmed there is nothing responsible about encouraging anyone to buy one, they will do what they will, but at least tell them the facts. Not saying you personally are doing so, but for anyone who is aware of these facts to be acting as a personal promoter for eleaf under the current circumstances seems not only irrational and undignified but potentially harmful.

Last edited:

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
I see what you're trying to say but you have to realize that the amount of iphones in circulation compared to the istick is like comparing the size of the sun to the earth. Iphones cover the freaking planet, there are going to be freak accidents and lemons, the case with the istick 50 is an inherent manufacturing defect, it's not the same. Don't get me wrong I love my istick 50, but I wouldn't dream of recommending it until eleaf does the right thing and actually releases a public statement detailing what happened and how it was fixed. There are back room emails between eleaf and vendors that have leaked out that are vague and hardly trustworthy, to use those as a basis for defending them is absurd, a public statement should have been released long before those emails ever made it to reddit or that statement on totally wicked and they owe their customers a better explanation and reassurance than that.

The part I wanted to point out was that where the article talked about the stewardess getting electrocuted answering the phone, it did mention that she was using an aftermarket charger, and not the Apple charger. And the one case we know of of the iStick bursting into flames, the OP did mention that he was using his girlfriend's phone charger to recharge the iStick. We have no idea what phone charger it was, whether it was an Apple iPhone charger, a Samsung charger, or if it was a $2 Chinese made micro USB charger that the guy could have gotten off of Amazon, eBay or even the corner gas station. Everyone is pretty aware of the quality of design and QC coming out of Chinese factories, so it would not surprise me if it turned out that the exploding iStick was a result of a crappy charger and not a faulty iStick. It seems there are many more instances of the autofire (which sounds to me like a fault in the board, either bad manufacturing or bad design of the circuitry) than iSticks bursting into flames.

FWIW, last year I received a recall notice from HP for the notebook computer that I was issued by my employer. It wasn't the charger that was being recalled, or the battery pack. Rather it was the AC cord that plugs into the electrical outlet on one end and the AC adapter on the other end. Apparently the electrical cord had a high incidence of overheating and bursting into flames. Now I could have easily expected a recall for an AC adapter, or a recall for a lithium battery pack, but I would have never guess that something as simple as a pair of electric wires wrapped in plastic/rubber would overheat and burst into flames.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread