If you could change one thing about your Reo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
My wife would like a locator of some kind. She misplaces here in the house every day. Easy to tell, she walks thru looking around and not saying anything :)

^^^ This!!! :lol: that's me....exactly. All the time I'm walking all around the house, my mind is racing, thinking "now where did I go last....what have I done (coffee, laundry, bathroom, porch, etc)?" It always crosses my mind that I wish I had a Clapper (remember those?) attached to it.

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
It amazes me how many people want a DNA REO! Just let it go and come to the realization. it ain't gonna happen. There are people, (new and old), that post in the REO forums and elsewhere on ECF and one of the most repetitive comments is the REO is just out of a lot of peoples price range. Imagine if Rob put a DNA board inside a grand and then charged $250-$400 for one. How many DNA grands do you really think Rob would sell? My guess would be, not many. What about when the DNA board fails? Are you willing to pay for a replacement board also? Not to mention the labor to put it back inside. I know Rob isn't willing to! This is why there is no more VV grands. As with anything electronic, they fail... I've read several posts just in the last few weeks about DNA 40's that are already failing. Most people have given up on nickle wire and temp vaping with them already. They've been in general population for what, 2-3 months now, and already failing... Waste of time and money. I'll stick to my unregulated vape that I enjoy so much now. I would doubt the average vaper could even notice a 10w difference in there vape if they didn't have a fancy screen to tell them what wattage they were vaping!!! If you want a DNA grand, your best bet would be to read up on some posts from turbocad6, Quigsworth, or CaptSteve and then build it yourself... If this post came across as a little harsh, it was meant to be that way...

2buildawall

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Bellingham
Since this is a what would I change/wish list I would add a coffee grinder/espresso maker to my REO. The 510 connector needs an adapter attachment for the grinder. Then attach the espresso RDA where the cafe is brewed. I think I would then need a porcelain bottle to catch the espresso. I have one on my AR, if I scaled it down I think it would work.

UKPaul

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2013
UK
It amazes me how many people want a DNA REO! Just let it go and come to the realization. it ain't gonna happen. There are people, (new and old), that post in the REO forums and elsewhere on ECF and one of the most repetitive comments is the REO is just out of a lot of peoples price range. Imagine if Rob put a DNA board inside a grand and then charged $250-$400 for one. How many DNA grands do you really think Rob would sell? My guess would be, not many. What about when the DNA board fails? Are you willing to pay for a replacement board also? Not to mention the labor to put it back inside. I know Rob isn't willing to! This is why there is no more VV grands. As with anything electronic, they fail... I've read several posts just in the last few weeks about DNA 40's that are already failing. Most people have given up on nickle wire and temp vaping with them already. They've been in general population for what, 2-3 months now, and already failing... Waste of time and money. I'll stick to my unregulated vape that I enjoy so much now. I would doubt the average vaper could even notice a 10w difference in there vape if they didn't have a fancy screen to tell them what wattage they were vaping!!! If you want a DNA grand, your best bet would be to read up on some posts from turbocad6, Quigsworth, or CaptSteve and then build it yourself... If this post came across as a little harsh, it was meant to be that way...

I still want one. :)

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny

ha, brother theres an old saying that goes something like, "don't knock it till you've tried it" :p theres just something nice about having a tactile button with a fraction of a mm travel that just goes "click" with a light press and gives out 100% full power vape each and every time, no cleaning of contacts or button mashing required :) the dna30's are rock solid and far from flimsy failures just waiting to happen, the 40's have had their share of issues, yeah, about 1/2 are actual chip problems and the other 1/2 is user error, but again when it comes to temp protection, don't knock it till you've tried it, temp control is pretty dang sweet, never have forgetting to squonk burn your wick up or give a burnt hit ever, instead it just puts out very little or even no vapor, then just squonk it again for a full hit like it never happened. wicks used to last a day or 2 before going funky, with temp control the same wick can last a week or more no problem. not sayin, just sayin :)

I know rob ain't ever going to do it and I can't say he's wrong either, but as far as wishful thinking, this def is justified to at least wish for :p

Filthy-Beast

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Chicago
My wife would like a locator of some kind. She misplaces here in the house every day. Easy to tell, she walks thru looking around and not saying anything :)

^^^ This!!! :lol: that's me....exactly. All the time I'm walking all around the house, my mind is racing, thinking "now where did I go last....what have I done (coffee, laundry, bathroom, porch, etc)?" It always crosses my mind that I wish I had a Clapper (remember those?) attached to it.

I solved this with more Reos. when I forget where the one is I was vaping is, I just pick up another one and start vaping. Then instead of a frantic search for the missing one it is a fun surprise when I happen upon it.

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
I solved this with more Reos. when I forget where the one is I was vaping is, I just pick up another one and start vaping. Then instead of a frantic search for the missing one it is a fun surprise when I happen upon it.

First world solution to a first world problem if ever I heard one :D

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
I used to have my other APV's at strategic locations all around my place, "the tubes". In part why I always had 10-14 of them going every day/night. That way an instant vape was available no matter where I was, what I was doing. But not with the Reos... they all reside on my computer desk along with their jooses for an instant refill if needed. With the Reos joose doesn't last long between my very long lung draws and getting closer to being chain vaped than any other APV I've owned. I simple carry one or two around every place I go. That's the drill now... a Woody in a shirt pocket, one of the Grands in hand. Most of the time it's the LP TRA/Nuppin' as it is dedicated to my favorite ADV (the LP Silver Vein/Nuppin' another ADV). Still not completely cured from the rotations yet as I decide on more ADV's, so all the Woodies have their jooses with the Ants, RM2's, RM3's, etc. Not being used now is the Mini 2.1 or VVG. It's all about the LP Grands; two 18650's, an 18490 and two 14500 Woodies these days. If I ever get around to LPing and stripping the Mini back to raw it'll go back into service though.
:)

Quigsworth

Just some guy...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
The Republic of Cascadia
ha, brother theres an old saying that goes something like, "don't knock it till you've tried it" :p theres just something nice about having a tactile button with a fraction of a mm travel that just goes "click" with a light press and gives out 100% full power vape each and every time, no cleaning of contacts or button mashing required :) the dna30's are rock solid and far from flimsy failures just waiting to happen, the 40's have had their share of issues, yeah, about 1/2 are actual chip problems and the other 1/2 is user error, but again when it comes to temp protection, don't knock it till you've tried it, temp control is pretty dang sweet, never have forgetting to squonk burn your wick up or give a burnt hit ever, instead it just puts out very little or even no vapor, then just squonk it again for a full hit like it never happened. wicks used to last a day or 2 before going funky, with temp control the same wick can last a week or more no problem. not sayin, just sayin :)

I know rob ain't ever going to do it and I can't say he's wrong either, but as far as wishful thinking, this def is justified to at least wish for :p
Even though I'm a mech guy all the way, I built a DNA30 Woody (mostly because Turbo's looked so cool I just had to have one)... I'll admit almost every point Turbo makes is legit and I do enjoy it...

Now on to what I'd change (all Grand centric).... and to be fair I've actually made all but one of the changes I'll mention and as good as some of them are to improve functionality I totally understand why Rob builds them the way he does... You'll never please everybody all the time, but he's sure pleasing a lot of peeps most of the time...tough to do...and you're a hero if you can pull it off

Flat deck, not as easy as you'd think to do and if you still wanted a conventional 510 Rob would have to add some deck thickness. ..but as it is, it was the impetus to me hybriding RDA's (brilliant, but not for everybody)

Go to a wider brass or aluminum switch, insulate the bottom of the switch post with mylar... sooo much smoother, you can make the tolerances so tight so there's no side to side... It's like silk to operate.

Dual squonk holes (align the one in the lid with one in the back) squonking becomes effortless...I tried the side hole...na...

Pos. contact with a solid contact point with a large polished surface area (as an ex masher I just find the contact feedback better)...Rob's new SO's are a massive improvement to the original but... just saying...

The delryn switch/contact cover could use a re-design...I would like to see a pos. batt contact incorporated into it so that true "paired contacts" can be done making these things even easier to maintain.

lose the softening of the back curves...call me old school but ergonomics are for little girls and government workers.

Consider ditching the spring and incorporating the fuse mod into the milling process with just an arched beryllium leaf to accept battery size differences... nothing fancy, even using grub screws up through the bottom to secure the fuse would work fine.

And last but not least... Please bring back anodizing if only as an option...anodizing is what made Grands so cool (that can't be just me? )

I know I've listed a number of things here... many of them would be meaningless to most and certainly not necessary (I'm a sucker for a good simple design which the Grand has in spades) but if Rob ever decided to create a "limited edition" Grand...some of these "tweaks" may go a long way to making these things just killers.

Fishcakes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 5, 2013
nj
Honestly, the only thing i can say is to echo the larger juice bottle. Other than that, its perfect. I keep asking myself if its impossible to love an inanimate object... And ive decided, no its not. I LOVE my reo grand. Its been dropped, kicked, fallen in mud, and crushed and ive had the thing for 2 months, maybe. Its the most reliable thing i own and im sure that ill ever own. It fires every single time i press that magic little delrin button and i cant get over the awesomeness that is a reo grand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread