• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

I'm Wrecked & Bonkers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starlight

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2009
UK
Oh Walrus, I am sorry... You have my total sympathy as I can identify as I have stenosis in my lumbar back, which is similar in a way and which is a narrowing of the spinal canal which puts pressure on the spinal nerve. This causes chronic and truly acute and eye-popping sciatica and other pain, both in my back and leg right down to my foot. This is on top of several other degenerated discs! I have repeated shots of steroid and nerve block into the spinal nerves, which helps a bit. Otherwise, it's surgery and we're trying to avoid it for now. I feel for you as I know how painful and disabling it can be.

Very annoying when tests like that get cancelled! I hope you manage to sort it out and that they get you another soon. And that there may be some treatment other than surgery :)

Walrus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
Baton Rouge, LA
Oh Walrus, I am sorry... You have my total sympathy as I can identify as I have stenosis in my lumbar back, which is similar in a way and which is a narrowing of the spinal canal which puts pressure on the spinal nerve. This causes chronic and truly acute and eye-popping sciatica and other pain, both in my back and leg right down to my foot. This is on top of several other degenerated discs! I have repeated shots of steroid and nerve block into the spinal nerves, which helps a bit. Otherwise, it's surgery and we're trying to avoid it for now. I feel for you as I know how painful and disabling it can be.

Very annoying when tests like that get cancelled! I hope you manage to sort it out and that they get you another soon. And that there may be some treatment other than surgery :)

Thanks. I also suffer from stenosis & bilateral sciatica. I've had surgery on my L4-S1, and have 6 titanium rods in my lower back. If this current issue results in surgery, it would be my third (c4-c7 also). My family already refers to me as Iron Man. I've had shots, physical therapy, traction... not sure what alternatives are left.

I'm sure it will get sorted out. I guess one day's notice just wasn't enough to get the paperwork done.

TxTrouble

ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Near Dallas, Texas
Hi Walrus. I understand what your going thru. I had c5-6 surgery several years ago. I have either 5-6 discs that are either "slightly bulging" or small herniation. I have the Cervical Radiculopathy as well. I have had way to many epidural steriod injections to count. They have been doing rhizotmys (not sure of spelling) the last few years. Basically they burn the nerves that branch off the spine to the neck and shoulders. Only problem is that it only lasts 4-6 months. But for me its worth it right now. If it gets worse then I may have to break down and see a surgeon again.
I also had no idea (before I had my c5 c6 surgery) the surrounding discs around the "fixed" disc will wear out and probably another surgery.

Walrus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
Baton Rouge, LA
Well Big guy, what has happened? Isn't trying to do scans and stuff hard when you have rods in your back? Mom had her back fractures cemented. They stoped when they realized she was getting yet more fracture s every day. I told her if she got anymore, she wouldn't be able to go swimming without sinking!

Well.. I had the MRI, which they decided was inconclusive. I'm scheduled for a CT Myelogram on the 29th

JABLUES

ECF Veteran
May 2, 2009
east coast
Well.. I had the MRI, which they decided was inconclusive. I'm scheduled for a CT Myelogram on the 29th

Hey Walrus, i havent been in wrecked and bonkers in a couple days and just read about your recent problems..hope all is alright although i know once you get to a certain point, it will never be alright. I just had surgery on my neck 2 weeks ago..put a cage and some nuts and bolts in my neck..i was losing feeling in my arm and bad pain..2 weeks later pain seems worse and numness is back..i also have a lot of back issues like you and i feel like i can relate. Hope ur doing as as good as can be..hang in brother

I love men in kilts! Boy, do I fit in here or what?!! I was looking for some updated info on fibromyalgia and landed on this thread. I'm on my way back from a major 10 day flare - I'm still using PG, but just got some VG today to try to see if I feel any better. I think the PG may exacerbate fibro & chronic fatigue, but it's still better than sticking rolled herb in your face and lighting it on fire!

I drink lots of water - always have - in an effort to keep the lactic acid flushed out.

Also have the neck/back thing (stenosis, degenerative disks & arthritis) going on and was told yesterday by my chiro (the only reason I haven't had to have surgery!) that I have sciatica in my shoulder blades. Geez! Having it down my leg is just enough, already!

I even have "bionic" toes - had to have the big toe joints replaced - one was a success, the other, well, too much bone loss & only partially successful, but I can walk!

One interesting note on blood pressure - I had quit smoking for several years, and had to be on BP meds. Got started smoking again (dumb me!) and the BP went to normal and I was able to stop taking meds. Now, it's been borderline since about 4 weeks after I smoked my last analog. Keeping an eye on it.

Anyway, glad to have found this group. Hope everyone is having a low pain day!

bonniegirl

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2009
South Jersey USA
Walrus, I am so sorry for your pain. I feel for you.....really. I had open heart surgery and the a holes cracked me open too far and crushed 3 of my cervical vertebrae. I have had epidurals for radiating pain and numbness down my arms for 3 years and have been on dilaudid as well. In addition, we share anxiety disorder, who the hell wouldn't be anxious in our condition? Keep your handsome chin up and your sense of humor and we wrecked and bonkers will keep on keeping on.
love and peace
Bonnie

alphafemale

ECF Veteran
May 18, 2009
Marshall, Michigan
Finally, people that I can relate to that can also relate to me!

So sorry that so many of you have pain. I hope everyone is able to take pain meds as I am not. They all make me a zombie!

I have degenerative disc disease, sciatica, spinal stenosis, herniated/bulging discs and arthiritis. I had surgery in 2000 at L3/L4 with current disc problems there again and at L4/L5. I wished I would have never had the surgery. The neurologist assured me that afterwards I would still be able to ride rollercoasters/snowmobiles and carry on with life as normal.

Liar, liar, hope his pants caught fire.

After a 2 almost 3 year battle my disability has gone through, but no amount of money can give me back my mobility. I have a 14 year old daughter and it sucks to not be able to cruise the mall with her.

I am currently 44 years young, but feel way way older. My biggest frustration (other than being active with my daughter) is making the hubby understand that intimacy is no longer fun for me. I don't like pain with my pleasure.

Praying for everyone here.

Walrus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
Baton Rouge, LA
Well... I had the CT Myelogram today. They had to do two spinal taps... they couldn't get the dye to go through the first one.

When I saw the doctor, he told me that he still didn't see any cause for the pain I'm having now. He showed me the films, and sure enough the canals looked fine, no impinging on the nerve roots.

It just so happened that the process of the myelogram caused a flare-up of the nerve pain to my left side, and he saw me massaging it. He had me show him exactly where it was hurting... down the back of my arm and to the last two fingers on my left hand. His reaction? "oh..."

I asked "What oh?"

He said the pain I'm having right now is the root at T1... and the CT Myelogram didn't go that far down. Since my surgery was C4-C7, that's where they were focusing.

Sooo... now I get to start again with an EMG of my left arm to determine the exact nerves that are being effected. July 20th.

JABLUES

ECF Veteran
May 2, 2009
east coast
Sorry to hear about your latest problem Walrus, sometimes you feel like you have to do the doctors job also. I just had 2 cages put in at c 5-6 and c 6-7 and its been 3 weeks and nothing has improved, actually chronic pain from previous back problems have increased. I just feel like everything just got worse and there will be no turning back. The docs tell me the lower back will only get worse but it seems like its coming sooner then i expected and this neck stuff isnt helping. I usually try to stay upbeat but sometimes it just gets to you.

JABLUES

ECF Veteran
May 2, 2009
east coast
I totally relate to your story, docs told me the same thing about having a normal life but 8 years later sometimes i can barely walk. Pain is a constant and its hard when you have kids and try to explain you cant do certain things because your either in too much pain or exhusted from dealing with the pain. I also have the same degenerative disc disease, sciatica, spinal stenosis, herniated/bulging discs and arthiritis. Mine started at L/4 L/5 and now all the upper discs are collapsing on each other.Bone on bone now. Your not alone, its good to be able to vent to others that are in the same boat...hang in...Joe

Finally, people that I can relate to that can also relate to me!

So sorry that so many of you have pain. I hope everyone is able to take pain meds as I am not. They all make me a zombie!

I have degenerative disc disease, sciatica, spinal stenosis, herniated/bulging discs and arthiritis. I had surgery in 2000 at L3/L4 with current disc problems there again and at L4/L5. I wished I would have never had the surgery. The neurologist assured me that afterwards I would still be able to ride rollercoasters/snowmobiles and carry on with life as normal.

Liar, liar, hope his pants caught fire.

After a 2 almost 3 year battle my disability has gone through, but no amount of money can give me back my mobility. I have a 14 year old daughter and it sucks to not be able to cruise the mall with her.

I am currently 44 years young, but feel way way older. My biggest frustration (other than being active with my daughter) is making the hubby understand that intimacy is no longer fun for me. I don't like pain with my pleasure.

Praying for everyone here.

Mary Kay

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
West Tampa Fl.
My husband has been dealing with back pain for years. It has gotten so bad that he takes enough pills to fell a horse and they don't faze him!
It concerns me as he also has a bad heart. Those meds can't be good for his heart!
The doctors told him he had 3 separate problems with his back and any surgery would only give him a 50% chance of walking again. We passed.
I was afraid of what might happen, looks like I was right, he couldn't have stood any more pain if the surgry had gone wrong!
My prayers for all of you suffering from the pain.

JABLUES

ECF Veteran
May 2, 2009
east coast
My husband has been dealing with back pain for years. It has gotten so bad that he takes enough pills to fell a horse and they don't faze him!
It concerns me as he also has a bad heart. Those meds can't be good for his heart!
The doctors told him he had 3 separate problems with his back and any surgery would only give him a 50% chance of walking again. We passed.
I was afraid of what might happen, looks like I was right, he couldn't have stood any more pain if the surgry had gone wrong!
My prayers for all of you suffering from the pain.

Thank You MaryKay, You always have a nice word for everyone and hopes and prayers for both you and your husband..Joe

Jules22871

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Apr 7, 2009
Walrus, I am so sorry to hear that. I know from reading that you have really been put thru the ringer. Shoot, I think we all have. I've given up on every feeling better. Seems like every time they fix something, something else goes wrong somewhere else. I just don't think my body will take any more surgery. I hate taking pain meds. Addiction is the last thing that I need. So like the rest of you, I just deal with it. It makes us all a special breed, wrecked ad bonkers.

alphafemale

ECF Veteran
May 18, 2009
Marshall, Michigan
Joe (JABlues) & Mary Kay: Thank you for the thoughts. Seems people don't understand how much back problems affect everything in life, including the clothes we wear.

I usually wear sweat pants, 1 because they are loose on my waist and 2 to keep the leg muscles warm to prevent cramping.

I also have bouts of RLS (restless leg syndrome). Guess I kicked the crap out of the hubby pretty good a couple of nights ago! That'll teach em! lol

I am starting to have trouble with my left arm and shoulder from laying on that side too much. I try to lay on the right, but I don't get as much relief.

My disability lawyer asked me if I planned to get treatment when all was said and done. Should have seen the look on her face when I said no. I think the first surgery actually made things worse. I don't recommend it for anyone unless you are in extreme pain, like on a scale of 1 to 10, you are at 50.

Jules22871

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Apr 7, 2009
Alpha, a friend of ours got his disability approved in court telling the judge exactly what you just said. I feel for anyone with back pain. I had to have the lower part of my sacral spine fused so they could reattach my pevis to my spine and I have so many problems with it. Anyone that hasn't had back pain really doesn't understand what we go thru each and every day. And getting comfortable... that is a dream. You just can't do it no matter how hard you try.

One thing I have found that will give me some, little, relief now and then is a heating pad that I got at Walmart. It is one that wraps around you and attaches using velcro that way as you move it stays in the same place. You can get into any weird position you want and it's still in the spot you need it.

alphafemale

ECF Veteran
May 18, 2009
Marshall, Michigan
Jules, thanks for the heating pad tip. I will look for one.

I did have a hearing date, but the morning of it, they called and canceled. My lawyer told me when they do that it is usually a favorable decision, which it was.

When they sent my paperwork a week later they stated that they may check on me in two years. I'm like duh, I've been dealing with this for almost 3, why do you think I'm gonna get better in another 2?

Sounds like your surgery was worse than mine. My heart goes out to you. :)

Has anyone ever heard of Osgood-Schlatter disease? It's basically swelling of the knees in teens. I was diagnosed with it at 14. You are supposed to out grow it, but my knees are extremely sensitive.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread