Status
Not open for further replies.

ZambucaLu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Central NY, USA
newb here! I've quit smoking for 2 months but I feel deprived whenever I drink with friends who smoke. I purchased my first e-cig kit today & am concerned about this ingredient "Diacetyl." Cartridges came with the kit & since it is from China... I'm just a little bit afraid abou the stuff that went in these carts. Is it safe to vape these or should I just toss them & buy e-juice? BTW I purchased an 84mm from ruyandirect. thanks much :)

Go ahead and vape the carts....the juice is from China too. But save the used carts and buy some juice too. You'll probably want to refill them at some point.

Lu

rock

Feb 23, 2009
A BIG problem, Kate, is that we don't know what is used to flavor the flavored e-liquids. I have a Janty "Almond" flavor vial. What's in it? I have no idea. There is no ingredient list.

I guess -- and certainly hope -- that the chemists formulating our liquids have more knowledge than we're likely to get searching Wikipedia entries (I'm not belittling your links, but you've seen the assumptions of "knowledge" posted on this forum by some).

We have two choices: 1. Quit e-smoking; 2. Hope the manufacturers of liquids are smart enough not to kill their consumers.

I'm betting on 2.

And I'm more worried about corporate greed making ingredient substitutions than I am a faulty ingredient list to begin with. Look at China's terrible greed in just the past year. Count the dead ...
I was thinking the same thing about the Janty liquid. I like that Johnson Creek uses a vegtable based liquid, but I don't know what is in the flavors. I wish they would just use organic natural flavors or have them as an option.

If I made say a batch of 0mg nicotine VG juice with highest purity and quality FDA approved natural flavoring who would be interested? It would be completely organic. Not claiming it is healthier in anyway but I do know there are some strict veggiemites out there. Would there be a market for this sort of thing?

Last edited:
Even natural/organic/vegetarian products can be harmful to health unfortunately.

Right, which is exactly why I did mention it wouldn't claim to be healthier or anything in any way.

I just think there are people that "prefer" coconut derived glycerin (unknown vaping safety but FDA kosher status) with steam extracted natural flavorings (all of which have been proven safe to vape/inhale) to synthetic chemicals of some vague safety and unknown process/origin.

I really think there should be a choice, because we don't know what's in the juice now. I don't mind that but many here seem to mind. I would list all ingredients on the bottle and make sure its veggie/kosher/whatever you have it friendly.

So basically:
Alcohol-free extraction coconut glycerine.
Natural, FDA approved flavorings.
Natural non approved by the FDA but will be vaped PH balancers and preservers (Freshly squeezed citrus juices, etc.)

I could make a trial batch and rid it at cost if enough people want it.

Last edited:

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
I emailed Bickfords recently to ask if they use diacetyl and got this response:

"As far as diacetyl in our products, most of our products are diacetyl-free, however, we cannot guarantee that for all our products. We have quite a number of e-cigarette producers who use our flavors."

I asked for specific information on what they use diacetyl in so we know what to avoid and am waiting for details.

Reading all of this is definitely not good to my new found e-cigarette puffin' for pleasure...I am waiting on a shipment of "Johnson Creek Juice" Menthol & regular...low nic...wow...I hope this does not contain the ingredient that causes lung issues spoke of here on this thread. I sure don't need that going on...will someone let me know od any updates on this when available?? I'll keep a watch on this thread...8-o

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
Just wondering if ANY Totally Wicked Juices use 'Diacetyl'. If anyone has any info. please respond. Thanks so much!

As originally posted by Clam--here is TW's ingredient list:

Originally Posted by smokingclam
Here is a list of the 16 ingredients that is on the bottle. Not sure what some of this is but here goes...
1. tobacco essence oil <3%
2. tobacco lead oil <3%
3. nicotine (from tobacco leaf)<3%
4. 2,3,5, trimethylpyrazine<1%
5. 2,3,5,6, tetramethylpyrazine <1%
6. 2,3 dimethylpyrazine <1%
7. 2-acetypyrazine <1%
8. 2-methyl butyic acid <15
9. terp ineol <1%
10 ethyl maltol <1%
11. guaiacol <1%
12. acetyl pyridine <2%
13. octalactone(gamma)<1%
14. pure water<10%
15. propylene glycol >65%
16. glycerol <10%

----------------Sun

dEFinitionofEPIC

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2009
NJ
How come every time I start to feel comforable with the safety of vaping someone's gotta post some information to get me all paranoid again????:mad:

I for one do no trust anonymous Chinese E-juice manfacturers... The Chinese can't even get tooth paste right and you don't even inhale that.... I really love vaping but now I don't know what to do. The whole point of vaping is to be healthier... right now I just feel like I'm playing roulette with a loaded vaporizer. What the hell man.... not trying to become a statistic from this........

parapo

ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Greece
How come every time I start to feel comforable with the safety of vaping someone's gotta post some information to get me all paranoid again????:mad:

I for one do no trust anonymous Chinese E-juice manfacturers... The Chinese can't even get tooth paste right and you don't even inhale that.... I really love vaping but now I don't know what to do. The whole point of vaping is to be healthier... right now I just feel like I'm playing roulette with a loaded vaporizer. What the hell man.... not trying to become a statistic from this........

i know how you feel..... but that's the way it is.
we are just test subjects until some real studies are made.....
.....in the mean time we hope vaping to be healthier than analogs.....:shock:

exogenesis

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2009
UK
8. 2-methyl butyic acid <15

in % i guess.

i wonder what that is for.

That should read (looking at a bottle of 24mg cherry flavour TW in front of me now):

1. tobacco essence oil < 5%
2. tobacco lead oil < 5%

8. 2-methyl butyic acid < 1%

16. glycerol < 20%

not sure if that makes any difference.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread