Innokin Zenith MTL tank--Phil Busardo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just signed up to see if anyone has any advice on the zeniths. I got mine at Avail, standard multi-state outlet. The replacement coils I bought were the standard Zenith 1.6 ohm. The problem is that when I fill the tank more than 3/32 or 2mm above the juice flow holes in the chimney, the juice drains into the chimney. Gurgle, gurgle. In other words, if I fill the tank past half, it will drain down to half. After it drains, it vapes like a champ. An absolute champ. The juices I've tried are the standard 70/30 retail sauces, like Charlie's Chalk Dust, etc. One thing that ocurred to me is that the wicking material may be packed loosely enough that it only gets enough surface tension with a 2ml tank. In other words, if you put 4ml of juice in the tank, the weight of the juice will force it through the wick. Perhaps the wick is too loosely packed for 4 ml of juice. Any ideas for a fix?

Reactions: stols001
IF you do not mind me asking did you fix the leak problem???
and did you see/read that I wrote the same problem happened to me and what I did wrong in placing the coil?
Or was your leak something else? Knucklehead (me) here just wants to know if you fixed the problem and if so how
Cheers,
cindykay

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
@calihippy , I think if you are unhappy with the tanks, you should send them back. I really though, might go to a vape shop if you can find one that stocks them (call around) and compare your tank with the one in the vape shop. I've not measured mine precisely but I can say as far as "amount' of time to fill compared to the rest of my 4 ml tanks (how much eliquid I use) stays pretty consistent. I think I would have noticed because I have plenty of 2 ml (sometimes smaller) tanks. Maybe compare them with the ones in the store, and if you genuinely have a 2 ml tank, well, at least you'd know for sure. You could also purchase a 4 ml tank (if you indeed have a 2 ml) it's just.... These things are hard to measure precisely and totally, but you seem to have a method, so if you find a "bigger" Zenith you will know for sure. If we are all "filling" at the same rate as you, well perhaps it's less than 4 ml, but I can see this is really bothering you, I would find a vape store that carries one (the 4 ml) and just go and compare yours.

That way, if you really have the TPD 2 ml version, you will know it. I can tell it's really bugging you and (IMO) it's kind of the only way to know for sure. IF the zenith is either smaller capacity than advertised OR you have a 2 ml tank, well, it seems you really want the answer on it, and from where I'm sitting, it's really the only way for you to know for sure. I wish I could help, but well, all I can say is it would not be unheard of (I guess) for a 2 ml tank to wind up in the 4 ml packaging and etc.

Anna

Storm52

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2014
Shreveport, LA
Hey Storm52 might be dumb question but if the coil was not in there maybe it would hold the 4ml. The dumb they don't count that do they?
Took some pictures of the tank itself. Alas Lonnie my neighbor would have correct tool to measure with...me borrowed Garys metal inch ruler. Gary says the numbers do not match up with what they say the numbers are to be. Me...outa my brain area. Lost
Maybe you can tell something by the size? It is the actual silver 4ml one I bought....bought two silver ones from Vapor Authority.
But my word of Honor its filled to brim and only got that tid over 2ml outa the 4ml needle.

Without a coil, the juice would pour through the air control. Dumb might count, but not around here!

chb3

Apr 9, 2018
Did you order these two Zenith tanks at around the same time from the same supplier? They could just be bad tanks that you were unlucky enough to get two of at the same time.
Yes, both of the tanks and the extra pack of 5 coils were all purchased locally by me at an Avail (it's a chain store) in one transaction. You have a very good point.
Common sense tells me that the answer can't be that both tanks or all 9 coils (extra box of 5 and 2 with each tank) are defective. However, I've eliminated juice as being the issue, because I've tried 4 different 70/30 juices from 3 different companies. So, it's either the tanks or the coils, but of course it can't be the tanks or the coils. Ugh.
I put my last 2 original coils in yesterday, and one tank seems fine. It did not drain out, and it vapes fine. I'm going to test it for another day. It was still a little gurgly, but it worked. One thing I did differently was to almost close down the juice flow by rotating the top counterclockwise until the fill hole almost showed. My thought was that maybe I'm sucking the juice out of it when I vape. That led me back to your thought about manufacturing defect-- maybe both tanks are failing to seal on top, such that when I'm sucking on the tip, I'm also sucking the tank dry. My thought was to counteract that by restricting the juice flow,, which would reduce the negative pressure on the tank when I suck on the tip. I hope I'm making sense here. I also did something else to reduce suction on the tank, and that was to open up the air flow to 2 holes.
That's all well and fine if I can make the tanks work that way, but no one else seems to be having this problem, and I don't really want to deal with something this "fiddly" or "touchy" on a long term basis. Also, opening up to 2 airholes and reducing juiceflow did not fix the second tank.
So, to eliminate variables, I went to Direct Vapor and ordered coils, and I went to Mount Baker and ordered coils and 2 more tanks. I'll see what I come up with. Mount Baker arrived today.

and did you see/read that I wrote the same problem happened to me and what I did wrong in placing the coil?
Or was your leak something else? Knucklehead (me) here just wants to know if you fixed the problem and if so how
Cheers,
cindykay
Immediately above, I described to Bill above a work around that seems to be working on one tank, but no, the problem isn't really solved. So, I'm going to start over with new tanks and new coils and see where the problem is.
I swear, your tank looks just like mine, and mine is 4ml.
I do agree with what some on here have said. If the tank is working well for you, I'd keep it. When my tanks work (and they always work on the last .9ml of juice), they are great. They have the potential to be the best tanks I've had and the simplest to operate by far. So, I'm jealous of yours. I'll trade ya.
The area above the top of the glass holds a little over 1ml. When your tank is empty, can you see up there and verify that it's empty space? In mine, I see nothing but the metal at the top of the tank.
When your tank is bone dry, how many ml does it take to fill it to the top of the glass window? I just tested a new bowl, and it take about 2.6 ml to fill the tank up to the top of the window.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Yes, both of the tanks and the extra pack of 5 coils were all purchased locally by me at an Avail (it's a chain store) in one transaction. You have a very good point.
    Common sense tells me that the answer can't be that both tanks or all 9 coils (extra box of 5 and 2 with each tank) are defective. However, I've eliminated juice as being the issue, because I've tried 4 different 70/30 juices from 3 different companies. So, it's either the tanks or the coils, but of course it can't be the tanks or the coils. Ugh.
    I put my last 2 original coils in yesterday, and one tank seems fine. It did not drain out, and it vapes fine. I'm going to test it for another day. It was still a little gurgly, but it worked. One thing I did differently was to almost close down the juice flow by rotating the top counterclockwise until the fill hole almost showed. My thought was that maybe I'm sucking the juice out of it when I vape. That led me back to your thought about manufacturing defect-- maybe both tanks are failing to seal on top, such that when I'm sucking on the tip, I'm also sucking the tank dry. My thought was to counteract that by restricting the juice flow,, which would reduce the negative pressure on the tank when I suck on the tip. I hope I'm making sense here. I also did something else to reduce suction on the tank, and that was to open up the air flow to 2 holes.
    That's all well and fine if I can make the tanks work that way, but no one else seems to be having this problem, and I don't really want to deal with something this "fiddly" or "touchy" on a long term basis. Also, opening up to 2 airholes and reducing juiceflow did not fix the second tank.
    So, to eliminate variables, I went to Direct Vapor and ordered coils, and I went to Mount Baker and ordered coils and 2 more tanks. I'll see what I come up with. Mount Baker arrived today.

Immediately above, I described to Bill above a work around that seems to be working on one tank, but no, the problem isn't really solved. So, I'm going to start over with new tanks and new coils and see where the problem is.
    I swear, your tank looks just like mine, and mine is 4ml.
    I do agree with what some on here have said. If the tank is working well for you, I'd keep it. When my tanks work (and they always work on the last .9ml of juice), they are great. They have the potential to be the best tanks I've had and the simplest to operate by far. So, I'm jealous of yours. I'll trade ya.
    The area above the top of the glass holds a little over 1ml. When your tank is empty, can you see up there and verify that it's empty space? In mine, I see nothing but the metal at the top of the tank.
    When your tank is bone dry, how many ml does it take to fill it to the top of the glass window? I just tested a new bowl, and it take about 2.6 ml to fill the tank up to the top of the window.
    Did you happen to view the vids on usage and troubleshooting from pbusardo? Perhaps they'd be helpful. Helped me some.

@calihippy , I think if you are unhappy with the tanks, you should send them back. I really though, might go to a vape shop if you can find one that stocks them (call around) and compare your tank with the one in the vape shop. I've not measured mine precisely but I can say as far as "amount' of time to fill compared to the rest of my 4 ml tanks (how much eliquid I use) stays pretty consistent. I think I would have noticed because I have plenty of 2 ml (sometimes smaller) tanks. Maybe compare them with the ones in the store, and if you genuinely have a 2 ml tank, well, at least you'd know for sure. You could also purchase a 4 ml tank (if you indeed have a 2 ml) it's just.... These things are hard to measure precisely and totally, but you seem to have a method, so if you find a "bigger" Zenith you will know for sure. If we are all "filling" at the same rate as you, well perhaps it's less than 4 ml, but I can see this is really bothering you, I would find a vape store that carries one (the 4 ml) and just go and compare yours.

That way, if you really have the TPD 2 ml version, you will know it. I can tell it's really bugging you and (IMO) it's kind of the only way to know for sure. IF the zenith is either smaller capacity than advertised OR you have a 2 ml tank, well, it seems you really want the answer on it, and from where I'm sitting, it's really the only way for you to know for sure. I wish I could help, but well, all I can say is it would not be unheard of (I guess) for a 2 ml tank to wind up in the 4 ml packaging and etc.

Anna
    AWesme Anna, Why I started this up in the first place. When I first noticed MY Zenith was Not holding the sold 4ml I emailed the company right away. AS I really wanted a 4ml tank.

(Little smile) I did warn Cameron from Vapor Authority after hearing his answer Mine was a 4ml holding tank that I was going to post about the problem of not holding nowhere near 4ml.

If it’s not holding 4ml and holding 2ml should not be sold as a 4ml tank. Period. Someone (Vapor Authority) telling me my measurements size is right and it’s a 4ml tank….but outcome not right…Something about the whole thing was not right hence I turned to y’all.

I REALLY also wanted to know if there others out there buying what they thought was 4ml and did not notice it was not holding the sold amount. Did NOT like the idea of anyone else getting shorted in case that was happening.

Anna if anything really upset me was that thought of other Zenith Vapor/buyers… I am all for watching over/taking care of others being a Proud Military Brat raised that way…. and Raised by a Very LOVING Strict Morals 2nd Mom a African American Mother.
    Which I was crushed at age 5 when I was told she was not my mother but that white women that came around was. (yes please laugh but its true) So the way I was raised… me going after what I wanted - was answers. And perhaps protecting others if their tanks were only holding 2mls.

Before the rest of info

ALL HAVE REPORTED BACK THEIR TANKS HOLD ALMOST 4ML!!

Gotta feel a tad sorry for Vapor Authority as in good faith they did sell me what they thought to be a 4ml tank, but as you can see by the pictures I posted only holds the 2ml.

The funny ½ look of tank (my pictures) is the lighting from my Surface Screen light. You can plainly see the 4ml line and where it ended at the 2ml not the tank.

Telling me I had a 4ml holding tank and it Was Not set me off to what is right and wrong. ANd what about others, as at that time heard nada from anyone.

Let’s call it my ethics.

Then Again top it off to the fact -concern of others were their tanks not holding 4ml but 2mls? I set off to find out.

I wondered and worried if others were not paying attention and being sold something that is not true.

Again My tank Size is correct for the 4ml but 4 ml holding it is not- its holding 2 and a tad more as you know.
    So many wonderful people are saying that their tanks do Hold 4ml! Some actually measured for me. To you a’ll I am most grateful for your time in doing that for me!!!

And I am so happy it appears to be only me with the 2ml holding tank.
    Going to take y’all advice and keep them. Buy more from Mt Baker once the first one arrives.

Right now I am still in conversation with Vaper Authority wanting to make it right by me and I am being told I am correct that the maker Innokin measures fluid holding before the coil is place inside (dumb thing to do my thinking) It’s a kind of cheating in my book.

But now another mystery why are so many reporting theirs does hold almost 4ml. Making the line of what Innokin says I just wrote n
    ot true.
    So Innokin story does not now match up what I was told yesterday. Vapor Authority wants to talk on phone to me..I said answer my questions by email as I hate the talk on phone. I do hope they email and
    If tones are needed to understand -do what I do and ( ) write what your tone is…joking, sorry, angry or whatever.
    Now I have received a wonderful answer from MT Baker y’all speak so highly of.
    I told asked/them my problem last week here is copy and paste of Mt Bakers answer to me.

04/10/18
    A: Thanks for your question! You brought up a good point, so we did some testing of our own. We ended up getting 4ml in the glass, although we did have to fill it to the very top!

They so impressed me and GREAT Price I went ahead and ordered a Red Zenith and some more coils. Will solve the mystery for me what does a 4ml look like... once and for all about the real ml holding of tanks. But Ugggg hate the red color but only fair way to tell the difference in tanks.

But hats off to MT Baker for testing.

Oh!! Anyone wanting a Zeneith MT Baker really does have the rest beat in pricing for a dollar or so and I used the ECF code and received a wonderful discount of $3.00 on my small order.

Hey Anna…..If you all will remember part of the reason it took me so long in getting to Vaping was my dislike of filling tanks and such. And my reason of Dualing for so long.
    The Pain in the Bum of filling etc. Let alone finding flavors, let alone which tanks etc etc. 1 ½ year I think of lurking and learning on this site. Smoking the whole time.
    Just wanted to pick up my Needed fix of nicotine and be done with it.
    Not filling, not cleaning and such. Another reason I was ticked at not a 4ml.

So now filling my loved Zenith 2ml holding 2x a day. Ugggg but love the Zenith as you all do. I am a hard hitter and have it opened to 4 holes. I hit it twice filling mouth tongue nodes picking up all flavor then info lungs. Laughing at myself by the way-by even admitting that.

Again my heartfelt thank you to everyone and hope you get some laughs outa the saga of cindykays, ck or cin, calihippy or That Westerner (that one said not nice to my face) I answer to all.

Cheers n Blessings and always watch your brothers back.
    Lazy in filling tanks…ck

chb3

Apr 9, 2018
    Cheers,
    cindykay
    CindyKay, in one of your earlier posts you mentioned putting in the coil until it "snapped". I didn't pay much attention to that, because I knew I was fully seating my coils. Well, today when a new tank arrived, I removed the coil and put it back and.... "snap." The o-rings on my first 2 tanks, that is the little o-ring which sits right at the beginning of the hole into which the coils goes (it stays put when you remove the coil and is barely visible), were much looser on my original coils (although the originals are only a week old). So, one of Bill's thoughts is right. I did get a bad batch with loose/bad o-rings. I can see the difference in the o-ringgs holding them side by side.
    Thank YOU, CK, for mentioning the "snap."
    The o-rings don't seem to be for sale anywhere, but Mount Baker is looking for them. They mentioned that the Zenith is the hottest selling tank they have. I'm surprised the tank doesn't come with extras.
    So, this o-ring won't fix the problem of the tank draining into the inside of the coil, but it will keep the juice from draining out from around the outside of the coil.
    For anyone with this problem, I'm lousy at measuring o-rings, but I came up with 12.5mm outside diameter (OD), 1.25mm thick, leaving a middle hole (inner diameter, or ID) of 10mm, which matches the o-ring slot in the coil. After an hour of looking for a metric match, I gave up. The closest I could come at McMaster Carr was a 1/2 inch ID, 1/16 thick, leaving an ID of 3/8. That will be a very tight fit, so I got some soft rings ("Oil-Resistant Soft Buna-N O-Rings") and another pack of regular, fairly stiff/hard o-rings ("Oil-Resistant Food-Grade Buna-N O-Rings") for $!.67. I'm going to try the food grade first, and if they are too tight, then I'll use the soft o-rings.

Did you happen to view the vids on usage and troubleshooting from pbusardo? Perhaps they'd be helpful. Helped me some.

No I have not watched them, but thanks for mentioning them. I went to his you tube channel and could not find a title with "zenith" in it. Can you tell me the name of the video? Thanks.

Last edited:

r77r7r

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    CindyKay, in one of your earlier posts you mentioned putting in the coil until it "snapped". I didn't pay much attention to that, because I knew I was fully seating my coils. Well, today when a new tank arrived, I removed the coil and put it back and.... "snap." The o-rings on my first 2 tanks, that is the little o-ring which sits right at the beginning of the hole into which the coils goes (it stays put when you remove the coil and is barely visible), were much looser on my original coils (although the originals are only a week old). So, one of Bill's thoughts is right. I did get a bad batch with loose/bad o-rings. I can see the difference in the o-ringgs holding them side by side.
    Thank YOU, CK, for mentioning the "snap."
    The o-rings don't seem to be for sale anywhere, but Mount Baker is looking for them. They mentioned that the Zenith is the hottest selling tank they have. I'm surprised the tank doesn't come with extras.
    So, this o-ring won't fix the problem of the tank draining into the inside of the coil, but it will keep the juice from draining out from around the outside of the coil.
    For anyone with this problem, I'm lousy at measuring o-rings, but I came up with 12.5mm outside diameter (OD), 1.25mm thick, leaving a middle hole (inner diameter, or ID) of 10mm, which matches the o-ring slot in the coil. After an hour of looking for a metric match, I gave up. The closest I could come at McMaster Carr was a 1/2 inch ID, 1/16 thick, leaving an ID of 3/8. That will be a very tight fit, so I got some soft rings ("Oil-Resistant Soft Buna-N O-Rings") and another pack of regular, fairly stiff/hard o-rings ("Oil-Resistant Food-Grade Buna-N O-Rings") for $!.67. I'm going to try the food grade first, and if they are too tight, then I'll use the soft o-rings.

No I have not watched them, but thanks for mentioning them. I went to his you tube channel and could not find a title with "zenith" in it. Can you tell me the name of the video? Thanks.
    I initially found them by going to the inookin site I think. I'll look for them and post later. Please update us when you get the orings delivered.

• Agree

skyboxer1968

ECF Veteran
    Jan 28, 2015
    Illinois
    My expectations were too high for this tank, and likely too high for any replaceable head tank. I have found a juice that works very well for this tank though. Fuzion vapor's Zombie Killer fits this tank perfectly. It's ( I think) a melon-cucumber-spearmint combo that is purported to clear up "zombie tongue". I've had the stuff for a few months but never particularly liked the flavor until I put it in the Zenith.
    Now my only complaint is that the integrated 510 pin on the atomizer head would make it very stable for TC, yet no 316L heads are available. It's a tragic waste of good engineering IMO.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Bird Dog

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 20, 2015
    Ohio
    My expectations were too high for this tank, and likely too high for any replaceable head tank. I have found a juice that works very well for this tank though. Fuzion vapor's Zombie Killer fits this tank perfectly. It's ( I think) a melon-cucumber-spearmint combo that is purported to clear up "zombie tongue". I've had the stuff for a few months but never particularly liked the flavor until I put it in the Zenith.
    Now my only complaint is that the integrated 510 pin on the atomizer head would make it very stable for TC, yet no 316L heads are available. It's a tragic waste of good engineering IMO.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I read somewhere that they will be releasing TC coils in the future and with Pbusardo having his name on it I couldn't imagine them not since he is basically TC all the way theses days.

billybc96

ECF Veteran
    Aug 24, 2010
    Reno, Nevada, USA
    I read somewhere that they will be releasing TC coils in the future and with Pbusardo having his name on it I couldn't imagine them not since he is basically TC all the way theses days.

Yes, this is what I have heard as well, but I really don't know for sure if this is still in the works. It should be. Hopefully they are taking their time to get it right.

Toronnah

ECF Veteran
    Jan 10, 2012
    Canada
    My expectations were too high for this tank, ...

Why would you think that? This guy, who is considered some kind of vaping celebrity, has attached his name to a product. And we are supposed to worship this tank because it has buddy's name on it.

It better be the second coming of Christmas for all the hoo haw people are giving it.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    I actually didn't have super high expectations for this tank and almost didn't buy it, as it appeared to be a well designed and well constructed tank but not necessarily super innovative (other than a neat topful system). I liked it better than I expected and the flavor is good.

As far as coil life, I have no idea how many total mls I have run through it, but I can't get my first coil to die. I even ran some storebought through it, no luck. I stopped trying to kill it as interested in how long it will last... Either I'm not vaping it enough or I got the "magic coil" LOL. It's the 1.6 too, but coil life seems pretty stellar (a good thing as the coils are not inexpensive. Of course, I don't chain vape it and use DIY (less flavor and sweetener) juices, but I'd qualify the coil life as "excellent." Your mileage will vary I'm sure, but I have been pleased with the coil life on this tank.

I'm going to make it a habit to vape it more, because I really am curious.... When will this dang coil die?

Mine's a non-leaker, but I think any new equipment may require tweaking and warranty and etc .I don't expect any and all tanks to turn out perfect regardless of "who" designed it, it still has to be manufactured, the kinks worked out and etc.

Anna

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread