Introducing the Precise Strata RDA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freckle

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Mississippi
A small change is being made to your preordered stratas, with big results. The Strata will now have a Precious metal plated battery contact, not stainless steel. I fitted one with a precious metal plated post and holy cow did vapor production increase! Good change to vet out in beta testing I must say :)

Final specs subject to change, the Strata doesn't fire my 350 Ti. It's actually a very refined hunk of stainless steel.

Nice......

xformulax

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2012
Colorado, USA
Microcoils don't heat up faster.

Microcoils (courtesy of Statistic):

iDaD4Mb.gif

Traditional 34 gauge 2-over-3:

8v7ICxEl.png

dVklynC.gif

2F2uMlF.gif

I think you'd be surprised at the heat difference between the two... that micro is extremely hot long before it lights up, and my micro's absolutely heat up faster.... this is why a 1.2ohm micro in a kayfun can feel like sub-ohm dripper output.

can't wait to employ some of my identicoils™ in this strata.

AgHa3Ool.jpg

Rob S.

ECF Veteran
Apr 23, 2012
Darien, Connecticut
Cool, thanks Snork, glad to hear that, cause I can imagine people getting it and then having it fire might be an issue:)

Out of curiosity, why all the concern about the device potentially firing with the Strata, or any heavy topper for that matter?

Honestly it's not all that time consuming to give a few turns on the lock ring.

To each his/her own of course, but better to play it safe than sorry.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
I know what you mean, it really takes no time to be safe, but even I had that "dumb" moment where I got distracted and placed it in a hurry to do something and forgot to lock it. It can and will happen. To know that if something like that happens the ELA, at least, not sure of the Simplicity, ( im not going to test it) can handle the heat and is safe.

Cucco

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2013
Bonita Springs, Florida, USA
Safe? You're in the wrong thread for safe. We're all danger. Why, just the other day I used an aerosol can in an area that was not well ventilated!

We're the generation who grew up without bicycle helmets, you know.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

That was funny!

When I think about the things I did as a kid, it's amazing I am still here!

rojo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2011
Johnson City, TN
With dual coils you half the resistance. If a single coil has 1 ohm resistance, then dual 1 ohm coils would be 0.5 ohms.

But the same amount of current goes across each coil as though it were the only coil. If a single coil draws 3 amps, then each coil in a dual coil config would still draw 3 amps, for a total of 6 amps. So the temperature of each coil isn't increased even though the resistance is halved. See how it works?

Last edited:

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
I used to be a " clean freak" and used ammonia and bleach to clean the bathrooms, I know Id feel a bit dizzy, but it made me feel the bathroom was really clean.

I stopped when one day I felt i was going to pass out and my nose started to bleed, I didnt know I was making "mustard gas" DOH

Last edited:

9ball_AJ

On the Snap...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Leaving microcoils aside, what effect does the spacing of a coil have on a vape? Supposing one has identical wick, gauge of wire and length of wire, what would be the difference between a longer, more widely spaced coil with less wraps and a more compact one with more wraps?

In theory, the closer the coil wraps are to each other, the faster the coil will heat up, as the adjacent wraps will contribute heat to each other. At least that's how I understand it, I could be wrong though.

There are probably many other factors that contribute to the overall vape in regards to the spacing of coil wraps...

Cucco

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2013
Leaving microcoils aside, what effect does the spacing of a coil have on a vape? Supposing one has identical wick, gauge of wire and length of wire, what would be the difference between a longer, more widely spaced coil with less wraps and a more compact one with more wraps?

No clue. I don't know the science. If there is any. For me, on my KFL, with cotton: 1) If the coils are pushed together, it seems to cook better; 2) I like the stability of the solid coil. Tight, cleanable, long-lasting.

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
Ive often wondered that myself. Now that Im using lower resistance on my Odysseus I have had to shorten my 32 kanthal alot. I always thought it was better to have more coils to cover more wick which equaled more vapour.

I have been trying out some thicker wire on my my twists but have trouble getting a good wrap and twist of the NR and R using 31 or even 30. I use 34 gauge nickel for the legs. Maybe if I had thicker nickel I could get a better joining. I will see if I can find some 32 gauge nickel.

Oh, got sidetracked but, now that I have less length of wire I get less wraps. When I was using 2.0 resistance Id get a good 5-7 wraps and it seemed I got a lot of vapour. Now I get a 3-2 wrap. Getting great performance, but sometimes I space them and sometimes I get them real close and never remember after if it makes a difference.

rojo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2011
Johnson City, TN

For the most part, the spacing should be determined by how far apart the connectors are. If your coil has wide legs and the turns are bunched up in the middle, you'll get a hot spot on one leg and a burning taste. If your coil turns at a consistent angle from post to post, or even if your coil is slightly too wide to fit between the posts without bending the legs in a little, then you'll probably get an even glow. The latter is how I like to coil my Kayfun.

With that in mind, if the length of wire is a given, then there isn't really much variation in the number of coils you'll wrap to span from post to post. The only factor that might change the number of turns is the thickness of your wick, and whether you double your wick (or possibly octuple 1mm wick).

One of the things that makes microcoils different is that they heat from the middle outward, so they don't get hot spots (and aren't subject to the same logic as traditional coils).

If you're asking to try to figure out whether it makes a difference screwing down the coil legs on the insides of the Strata's posts or the outsides, I vote just go for build convenience. Affix the legs to the left side of each post so screwing the posts down won't push the legs out.

Last edited:

Cucco

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2013
Ive often wondered that myself. Now that Im using lower resistance on my Odysseus I have had to shorten my 32 kanthal alot. I always thought it was better to have more coils to cover more wick which equaled more vapour.

I have been trying out some thicker wire on my my twists but have trouble getting a good wrap and twist of the NR and R using 31 or even 30. I use 34 gauge nickel for the legs. Maybe if I had thicker nickel I could get a better joining. I will see if I can find some 32 gauge nickel.

Oh, got sidetracked but, now that I have less length of wire I get less wraps. When I was using 2.0 resistance Id get a good 5-7 wraps and it seemed I got a lot of vapour. Now I get a 3-2 wrap. Getting great performance, but sometimes I space them and sometimes I get them real close and never remember after if it makes a difference.

I adore you! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread