Status
Not open for further replies.

WNCmotard

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2012
Western NC
Hmmm, my button is solid, no play in it. TMMP can ruin your whole day. The MTBF of the switch is probably much higher than a 'mechanical switch'. The switches on the chinese tubes, now those are from mattel, or maotel. The paint peels off them under regular use ~_~'

I'll get pummeled for this, I just know it, but I like the switch on my Young June LT better to be honest. No play in it at all. The paint is peeling though. :D

I think they might have addressed this issue because my newest provari, the one that just arrived today, has zero play with the batt in or out. My first that I got a couple weeks ago does have a little wiggle though but not that much.... not even as bad as wiggling my ps3 controller button.

My mini is only a week old today, perhaps I got old stock, that's usually how my luck runs. Oh well, at least I'm not smoking.

WNCmotard

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2012
Western NC
Weird.... did you get a silver one?

Yep, satin silver here with blue LEDs. If you take the battery out, you can look up in there and see lots of play between the outside button and the switch, also my button is a bit wonky, sometimes it's tough to get just the right adjustment / menu, it's like I pressed it twice, when I really only pressed it once. I'll probably send it in at some point to be honest. On a $50 device, no big deal, but on a $200 device, I expect every little thing to be right.

B4DJ1N64N

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2010
Indonesia
The shortcoming of Provari? There are MANY!
1. It doesn't stop working even when I dropped it 3 story high, horrible ding produced but it didn't stop working! Damn! :mad:
2. A provari didn't want to leave my hand, even when I have some new toys (pv's) to play with. I hate that.
3. If you watch Lords of the Rings movies, Provari equals the One ring. You will be drawn to it everytime. My precioussssss...

So, i think i said enough. Beware!

Don Kaluminati

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2012
Washington
Yep, satin silver here with blue LEDs.

Yeah sounds like maybe you got older stock... or I got incredibly lucky on my two blacks. My newest mini has absolutely no play in it. My first one's play is ever so slight. I mean so slight it's not enough to draw any attention to. I got a young june 2.0 like you do and my buttons are about the same without the click.

rondasherrill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2012
Valhalla
I'll get pummeled for this, I just know it, but I like the switch on my Young June LT better to be honest. No play in it at all. The paint is peeling though. :D

My mini is only a week old today, perhaps I got old stock, that's usually how my luck runs. Oh well, at least I'm not smoking.

My Provari is a Chrome v1 that is well over a year old, and there is absolutely no play in the button at all.

Ratman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 10, 2012
Tulsa OK
Is there any REAL advantage to buying an extension cap and an 18650 battery other than vape time? I want the stain black ProVari and I really like the chrome cap at the bottom. The extension cap is all black. What do ye say?

Other than vape time, I would add that it is just a matter of what fits in your hand better. I have XL size hands and my black satin v2 cap feels perfect as far as length goes. Just set up a trade for another black satin without the cap and to me it will be a like a mini LoL. Held a mini in a store the other day and it was way too small for comfort. Downside is that the extension cap is a real let down looks wise on everything but the chrome version IMO.

A17kawboy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 20, 2012
Northern BC, Canada
Other than vape time, I would add that it is just a matter of what fits in your hand better. I have XL size hands and my black satin v2 cap feels perfect as far as length goes. Just set up a trade for another black satin without the cap and to me it will be a like a mini LoL. Held a mini in a store the other day and it was way too small for comfort. Downside is that the extension cap is a real let down looks wise on everything but the chrome version IMO.

For sure. It would be nice if Provape would bring back at least the chrome extension caps. I bet a lot of colored ProV owners would like to have the chrome extension cap to match the chrome top cap. I know I'd buy one along with the colored endcap just for variety. Any chrome owners want to part with their extension caps? huh? huh?

Fishtec

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2012
England
My Provari is a Chrome v1 that is well over a year old, and there is absolutely no play in the button at all.

Weird mines the chrome v2 ( before they were discontinued ) and the button clicks up and down a little not a problem fires up well and never misfires just doesn't do it for me aesthetically not sure what else the could have done personally I hate metal switches lol

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
For sure. It would be nice if Provape would bring back at least the chrome extension caps. I bet a lot of colored ProV owners would like to have the chrome extension cap to match the chrome top cap. I know I'd buy one along with the colored endcap just for variety. Any chrome owners want to part with their extension caps? huh? huh?
Sorry, mine stays with me. :p

By the way, these are my 3 new pyrex OCD tanks from IBTanked.
View attachment 136286

Burly

Molon Labe
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2012
Park Hills, MO, U.S.A.
E-mail reply sent to me from ProVapes regarding the wobbly button issue:

Hi Burly,

Sadly, at this time, this is the best button option we have given how the circuit board is made and installed into the tube.

We also use a plastic button since many customers like how it lights up when they vape.

The button does have a little bit of wiggle room, however, this is necessary since they would get stuck in the tube if they are too snug.

Kindly,
Cecilia

WNCmotard

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2012
Western NC
E-mail reply sent to me from ProVapes regarding the wobbly button issue:

Hi Burly,

Sadly, at this time, this is the best button option we have given how the circuit board is made and installed into the tube.

We also use a plastic button since many customers like how it lights up when they vape.

The button does have a little bit of wiggle room, however, this is necessary since they would get stuck in the tube if they are too snug.

Kindly,
Cecilia

I could care less about the little LED light, I'm not an 8 year old buying tennis shoes (but if you like it, then hey, to each his / her own). Each unit may possibly be slightly different, but on my unit it's not the fit to the tube itself that is the issue. Rather, it's that the button itself isn't quite long enough, leaving play between the internal switch on the circuit board, and the button, it just kind of floats until you put some slight pressure on it. Another .5mm length on the button to simply take up the play would have fixed it. As stated earlier, on a $50 APV, I wouldn't care, but this thing was $174! I bought a Provari based on all the reviews, recommendations, and the talk of all the quality and craftsmanship. That answer from Provape is disappointing on many levels, mostly on a level of the fact that I simply believe we cannot build things in America to the level of quality that we used to once upon a time. That email just cements that belief "Hey thanks for the $160, sorry about the button. We know it's of poor quality, but we're not going to do anything about it, or put any effort into improving our product, as we're content to simply rest on our laurels, have a nice day." The pride just isn't there anymore, and it saddens me more deeply than you can imagine.

KuroCz

ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2012
east coast
... That answer from Provape is disappointing on many levels, mostly on a level of the fact that I simply believe we cannot build things in America to the level of quality that we used to once upon a time. ...

Dude... calm down :vapor:

First, that response from Cecilia, it sounds like Burly asked her if there was an option for a different type of switch. You shoudn't jump to conclusions when you don't even know what question was asked.

Second, is your unit under warranty? If the button isn't proud, talk to provape about fixing it. Mine has clearance to be assembled/disassembled, but if your button is too low to use normally, that's a warranty issue imho. Until you ask them about it, calm down.

And I personally, was refreshed by seeing how the provari is made, and I can understand every decision that was made for every feature.

Take grim's review- he was a bit put off because he couldn't vape at what appeared to be a 'red zone' resistance/voltage setting that could blow a coil. All I have to do is look at the chart floating around to see that. Provaris are made to work every time. Not to be able to extreme vape at potentially unsafe levels.

Phil's review, he said he wished the button would not flash with a low/dead battery when it was off. If it didn't, would he complain that it didn't tell him it was out of power before he left the house without a spare battery because it was off, and that it should have warned him?

Are those two reviewers clueless about the decisions that went into the provari? Or are they finding 'something/anything' wrong, so they don't get a bunch of hatemail for being provari fanboys? Either is possible.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not being a fanboy, I'm being objective and analytical. To sum up the provari, using a borrowed phrase from another product, the provari, from every angle I look at it, was made for "To Hell and Back Reliability". Not to mention you could fight off a pitbull with it and then have a vape. :vapor:

Call me a newb, naieve, whatever, but in this sea of made in china moar powah lookalikes and poor performers, the provari shows me that there's at least one US company left that cares about what it puts it's name on. If you utter a word about the cost of it, why don't you look at where the national debt is.

But I absolutely agree with you that the switch on your unit should be as good as the one on mine. Give Cecilia a mail, talk to her yourself; she may surprise you.

@Baditude - I went to ibtanked after seeing your posts, just got mine in (clear) and man, for whatever reason, it makes things taste so much better! (new kit excitement perhaps, but I also figure it has the carty all nice and wicked up).

WNCmotard

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2012
Western NC
Dude... calm down :vapor:

First, that response from Cecilia, it sounds like Burly asked her if there was an option for a different type of switch. You shoudn't jump to conclusions when you don't even know what question was asked.

Second, is your unit under warranty? If the button isn't proud, talk to provape about fixing it. Mine has clearance to be assembled/disassembled, but if your button is too low to use normally, that's a warranty issue imho. Until you ask them about it, calm down.

And I personally, was refreshed by seeing how the provari is made, and I can understand every decision that was made for every feature.

Take grim's review- he was a bit put off because he couldn't vape at what appeared to be a 'red zone' resistance/voltage setting that could blow a coil. All I have to do is look at the chart floating around to see that. Provaris are made to work every time. Not to be able to extreme vape at potentially unsafe levels.

Phil's review, he said he wished the button would not flash with a low/dead battery when it was off. If it didn't, would he complain that it didn't tell him it was out of power before he left the house without a spare battery because it was off, and that it should have warned him?

Are those two reviewers clueless about the decisions that went into the provari? Or are they finding 'something/anything' wrong, so they don't get a bunch of hatemail for being provari fanboys? Either is possible.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not being a fanboy, I'm being objective and analytical. To sum up the provari, using a borrowed phrase from another product, the provari, from every angle I look at it, was made for "To Hell and Back Reliability". Not to mention you could fight off a pitbull with it and then have a vape. :vapor:

Call me a newb, naieve, whatever, but in this sea of made in china moar powah lookalikes and poor performers, the provari shows me that there's at least one US company left that cares about what it puts it's name on. If you utter a word about the cost of it, why don't you look at where the national debt is.

But I absolutely agree with you that the switch on your unit should be as good as the one on mine. Give Cecilia a mail, talk to her yourself; she may surprise you.

@Baditude - I went to ibtanked after seeing your posts, just got mine in (clear) and man, for whatever reason, it makes things taste so much better! (new kit excitement perhaps, but I also figure it has the carty all nice and wicked up).

I can assure you, I am completely calm. I was simply giving my take / opinion on it no different than anyone else. Bear in mind, the switch is the ONLY sort of user interface with the device that we have, so when it doesn't work properly, it's a major flaw IMHO. I will shoot an email to Provape, just as soon as my other APV arrives to keep me occupied so that I can send the Provari in for service. Yes it's still under warranty, it's one week old, brand new.

As for the Chinese thing, my lava tube clone switch is tons better than this one both in fit and finish, and the feel as well.

As for the "to hell and back" reliability, if that's what I'm shooting for, I'll take an all mechanical mod instead. Don't get me wrong, I really like my Provari, and I'm sure it will last for a long, long time, but; all electronics fail eventually, no question about it. The thing is, I want to love it, like most users do; but as long as it's a PITA to go into the menu system / make adjustments, that's not going to happen. I'm sorry if you don't agree, but I expect a lot based on what I've read long before making my purchase, and for the price point.

Skyway

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2009
NC - USA
www.bsvoboda.com
I realize that is your opinion but I honestly do not see what the big deal is with the menu system. I have heard people say that and I have heard people being turned off of it due to the 1 button menu. I have had mine for a year and I just do not see it. I find the menu system to be easy to navigate and fail to see how it is a pita. Plus once you find a voltage that is good, you never have to use the menu any longer unless you stick something else on it.

WNCmotard

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2012
Western NC
I realize that is your opinion but I honestly do not see what the big deal is with the menu system. I have heard people say that and I have heard people being turned off of it due to the 1 button menu. I have had mine for a year and I just do not see it. I find the menu system to be easy to navigate and fail to see how it is a pita. Plus once you find a voltage that is good, you never have to use the menu any longer unless you stick something else on it.

I have no issue with the menu system at all, it's the button that's wonky on mine, and sometimes will trigger more than one input with only one press of the button. The menu system is fine.

Skyway

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2009
NC - USA
www.bsvoboda.com
Ah ok, sorry. I thought I read that you thought the menu system was a PITA. I have noticed a couple times from time to time that it will do what I describe as an extra button press. Not sure why it does this. I haven't bothered to test out whether it was me pressing the initial button presses too fast or not.
I will say though that I have heard some people saying that the menu itself is a pain. I just don't see it though.

TheSenator

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2012
Houston, Texas
Mine will be here early next week I believe, and I plan on doing a review from the perspective of someone who's never had a MOD. I won't be able to compare the build quality to Asian produced MODS, so I won't get that "it's a 1000% better than XX China model". I'm hoping I will be able to give an honest review of the MOD in itself. Interesting points here that I will be able to look for though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread